• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Shadoninja

Smash Cadet
Here is a video clip of a staple move in Mang0's arsenal. He does a downsmash out of a dead sprint, but it doesn't look like he crouch cancels his dash. How does he do this?:

https://youtu.be/kr6RDe2-KHs?t=11m46s

It's the way Mang0 takes Leffen's second stock. Watch it in slowmo!

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
@ Bones0 Bones0 @ T tauKhan
That definitely makes much more sense now that I understand how hitstun works. I'm a little upset commentators spread false info like that, as this isn't the first time I've found out something they've said was wrong. My fault for believing it I guess.

Thanks for the clarification guys.
Something else to take note of (and someone correct me if I'm wrong), is that meteors & spikes done to grounded opponents appear to have more hitstun. It's not that they actually have more hitstun, as much as they suffer reduced knockback, so the end result isn't the same as *0.4*kb. I'm not sure what the actual math is, but that's why falco/falcon dair seem to stun for days.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Here is a video clip of a staple move in Mang0's arsenal. He does a downsmash out of a dead sprint, but it doesn't look like he crouch cancels his dash. How does he do this?:

https://youtu.be/kr6RDe2-KHs?t=11m46s

It's the way Mang0 takes Leffen's second stock. Watch it in slowmo!
He crouched, but I don't think the video picked it up. Streams are usually at 30 FPS unless marked otherwise, so since the game runs at 60 FPS, frame perfect stuff isn't always shown.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ Monkley6 Monkley6 Yes, when a spike on a grounded opponent knocks down and launches him up, the ground bounce that occurs eats up 20% of the initial velocity.

@ S Shadoninja You can see a crouch frame when the clock shows 6:24:89. Unfortunately the footage skips I believe the 2 preceding frames according to the ingame clock.

Shadoninja

Smash Cadet
@ Monkley6 Monkley6 Yes, when a spike on a grounded opponent knocks down and launches him up, the ground bounce that occurs eats up 20% of the initial velocity.

@ S Shadoninja You can see a crouch frame when the clock shows 6:24:89. Unfortunately the footage skips I believe the 2 preceding frames according to the ingame clock.
Thank you!

Shadoninja

Smash Cadet
How do I practice the 3(ish?) different lengths of wavedashing? I have seen tutorials that talk about having control over how long my wavedash goes (I am learning Luigi atm) and I need some advice. Is there more than just 8 directions of air dodging? Is the timing of the wavedash influential on its length?

Note: I care right now because I want to do techchase shoryukens and that takes a perfectly distanced wavedash to land consistently.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
You just have to grind getting different angles, there's really no shortcut.

Airdodging in melee is practically analog except that the cardinal directions have a bit larger area where they register. I don't remember the actual number of possible angles, but there's hundreds of different possible airdodge angles.

If you're late on the airdodge, the wd becomes a lot shorter since you lose a lot of speed on every aerial frame. Ideally you shouldn't be aerial for even a full frame, you're supposed to land on the same frame at the start of which you became aerial.

Below is a picture showing possible angles in melee:

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter

Airdodging in melee is practically analog except that the cardinal directions have a bit larger area where they register. I don't remember the actual number of possible angles, but there's hundreds of different possible airdodge angles.

If you're late on the airdodge, the wd becomes a lot shorter since you lose a lot of speed on every aerial frame. Ideally you shouldn't be aerial for even a full frame, you're supposed to land on the same frame at the start of which you became aerial.

Everything you will ever need to know about angles in Melee:
Quick facts:
- There are a total of 352 possible angles.
- Within about ±17° from every right angle, the closest right angle will be used instead.
- In other areas the angles are spaced on average 0,65° from each other.
- The angle-differences fluctuate pretty evenly between 0,3° and 1,0° and are located randomly as far as I can see.
- The same pattern is repeated (and mirrored) for every 45-degree sector.
- SmashDI can be shortened down to 70% of its full length, with the number of intermediate lengths only limited by the control stick.

Shadoninja

Smash Cadet

Everything you will ever need to know about angles in Melee:
Awesome stuff guys! Thank you!

So just to clarify, every line we see in the spoiler picture is a possible wavedash angle right?

Last edited:

Honor

Smash Apprentice
So I've heard of something called "dolphin" that's a pc emulator (or something like that) where I can play other Melee players online. I play mostly M and Smash 4 but I love Melee too and am wondering how the whole Dolphin thing works :)

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
So I've heard of something called "dolphin" that's a pc emulator (or something like that) where I can play other Melee players online. I play mostly M and Smash 4 but I love Melee too and am wondering how the whole Dolphin thing works :)
You can check out this guide, it's pretty simple to get Dolphin up and running for Netplay use. The only thing that's not mentioned there is you will need something to extract files with if you don't have such a program already.

Netplay/sometimes Dolphin can have a little bit of lag, but it's still good and I suggest you try it out!

Oh yeah and if you have further questions feel free to ask here or on the Melee Netplay thread here on Smashboards, I recently just got Dolphin and had some questions that got answered pretty quickly there.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Is Jiggs a guy or a girl?
Well Melee was released in between Crystal and Ruby/Sapphire, and from what I can tell neither of those games have different sprites for male/female Jiggylpuff. The trophy descriptions use "it" to describe Jiggs rather than a gender pronoun, so it's ambiguous.

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
How many frames is the SHDL window after a shorthop with Fox?
There is a 3 frame window for a short hop double laser.

Counting the last frame of jumpsquat (which is where the earliest possible laser input is) as frame 0:
• The latest possible input for the first laser that still allows 2 lasers to be fired in a short hop is frame 2. Therefore for a SHDL you can input the first laser on either frame 0, 1, or 2.
• The earliest possible input for a second laser is frame 3 of the first laser, and the latest possible input is frame 13. Timing the second laser is not a problem.

Last edited:

St_Steady

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, my name is Angelo, I've been playing smash for about a month since my friend brought it over. I finally got my own copy and setup and I've been beginning to practice tech.

I usually just played as Marth against my friend, since I had smash on 3ds already and I used him on there, so I was already kind of used to using Marth.

However now that I have my own copy of the melee now and a decent grasp on the basics (I've been watching gameplay a lot, lurking on here and elsewhere on the Internet for knowledge on the game. Plus, me and my friend play project M for hours when he comes over), I decided to put in the work to practice Falco.

Sorry for the long first post guys.

Anyway here's my question:

what is the timing for shining out of Falco's shuffl'd aerials?

I can nakedly shffl nair and dair consistently and I wanted to learn to do them into shines before practicing shffl aerials into an opponent.

I get the shine randomly but I can't really figure out the timing very well, when I shffl and land I usually just go into a crouch even though I input the shine. When I do get it right I get the shine before I even crouch.

Is there super strict frame timing for this combo?

St_Steady

Smash Rookie
Never mind guys, I went into training to figure out what I was doing wrong. I was trying to do the shine too quickly.

I wasn't waiting for the landing lag animation to finish. -.-

I made an account to ask that question and I answered it myself, I should have asked as a last resort.

Anyway see you guys around in the future.

WombatCyborg

Smash Rookie
You know, I've tried to prove myself against scrubes for too long, I want to get good at this game. I've got the will to fight, just tell me if someone is near so I can practice, this game has changed my life multiple times already, I am ready to do what is needed to win, because thats what matters in the end

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Do some character have an easier time power shielding?

I would guess shield size and coverage have something to do with it but I don't technically know. Specifically I am asking about PSing Falco's lasers.

WIth Ganon and Samus I notice I have a really easy time PSing them, but with G&W I find it very very difficult even though they are hitting the middle side of his shield and not even close to shield poking his arms, legs, or head.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

KPPAplays

Smash Cadet
NNID
captgentelmen
3DS FC
9444-2234-2355
How do i get better at falco's wavedash have been training a bit and it's getting really difficult to do

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
How do i get better at falco's wavedash have been training a bit and it's getting really difficult to do
A lot of practice. Start by just wave dashing down and adjusting the time when you press L. If you get an air dodge you pressed L too late and if you do a full hop you either pressed L too early or didn't press it down all the way. Then once you get the timing of that down you can try different angles on the control stick as well. Keep in mind Falco has a fairly long jump squat so you have to delay pressing L more than when using Fox or Sheik or some other characters. Also R works for all of this too obviously

And it will probably help if you intentionally do it late at first because then it is obvious that you need to do it faster, whereas if you start off too fast it is a little bit harder to know exactly what you are doing wrong.

Last edited:

St_Steady

Smash Rookie
How long did it take you guys to master the tech skills needed to execute the actions you wanted to carry out in your head, on a consistent basis?

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Depends on the character, and it really really depends on how fast you learn.

AND THEN it also depends heavily how well you handle pressure - if you are playing in front of people or on stream it can often cause your tech skill to go out the window and you play much worse than in friendlies or when alone (you will SD, and mess up simple stuff like wavedashes).

For high tech characters like Spacies, Falcon, Peach, etc it usually it takes a lot longer than people initially thought (1.5 to 3 years). It's very equivalent to learning to play a musical instrument - First it's learning, then practicing, then learning to practice smarter, muscle memory, auto-pilot, style & personality, improvisation, adaptation, and so on.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Depends on the character, and it really really depends on how fast you learn.

AND THEN it also depends heavily how well you handle pressure - if you are playing in front of people or on stream it can often cause your tech skill to go out the window and you play much worse than in friendlies or when alone (you will SD, and mess up simple stuff like wavedashes).

For high tech characters like Spacies, Falcon, Peach, etc it usually it takes a lot longer than people initially thought (1.5 to 3 years). It's very equivalent to learning to play a musical instrument - First it's learning, then practicing, then learning to practice smarter, muscle memory, auto-pilot, style & personality, improvisation, adaptation, and so on.
This is good, but I just wanted to point out that auto-pilot is actually a very poor word choice. Muscle memory is something that you'll develop with time, but you NEVER want to go on auto-pilot because it means you aren't analyzing how your opponent handles certain situations and thus cannot be adapting to their playstyle. If two players of the same level with the same character go against each-other and only one is adapting, the person who is adapting to their opponent is much more likely to win.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
This is good, but I just wanted to point out that auto-pilot is actually a very poor word choice. Muscle memory is something that you'll develop with time, but you NEVER want to go on auto-pilot because it means you aren't analyzing how your opponent handles certain situations and thus cannot be adapting to their playstyle. If two players of the same level with the same character go against each-other and only one is adapting, the person who is adapting to their opponent is much more likely to win.
Eh it really isn't a "very poor word choice" it runs along side muscle memory as a very important part of your arsenal.

This is why I listed improvisation and adaptation after learning auto-pilot stuff (like frame traps, guaranteed combos, chain grabs, MU specific approaches and punishes, and tech only concerning yourself)

You have to use all of those elements, but you do have to learn auto-pilot things first through practice/experience, have it running in the background so you stay open and alert to important things like adjusting to the opponents DI, SDI, movement, habits, etc. Punish game should also be largely auto-pilot for you, when you see any opening and you know how much lag they are in you should know exactly the most efficient and brutal attack you can get away with and where (part muscle memory, but also partially auto-pilot since you should act without too much hesitation)

Melee moves too fast to think you can do everything on reaction or adaptation in real time (or waiting, looking for openings or behavior to condition). Most of it is about being the aggressor or throwing out safe well-spaced preemptive approaches that can beat human reaction time. For example auto-pilot with Sheik - AC Fair > grab, Peach - FC Fair > grab or Dsmash. Fox - approaching with DD into Nair > Shine or Drill > Shine then from there you have to react for follow ups. Falco - SHLs into tilts/Jabs and Dair shine jump outs.....or JigglyPuff once you throw a FFer up into rest, or up air tech traps on platforms.

Mix Ups and being unorthodox is part of the "style and personality", but the bedrock is still the auto-pilot stuff that you know you can get away with, espeically after hit confirms (things that are hard to punish or that work on characters in a MU).

Last edited:

vZakat

Half Genie
Okay I have a question and wasn't sure quite where to ask it and this seemed like a good enough place.

I was watching plup vs mango from CEO and plup gets hit off stage and begins to up b, gets shined, then he double jumps then up b's again. I was under the impression that up bing would take your double jump away. My friend said that there are definitely moves that steal your double jump, like spacies side b, but are there some moves that don't (such as apparently sheik's up b not stealing it)? I'm just confused from the video that I saw and am trying to understand it and see what places it can be applied.

Video in question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZX8hByLlI#t=25s

First incident is at 26 seconds (video should start there) and it happens a few more times through out the first match.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Okay I have a question and wasn't sure quite where to ask it and this seemed like a good enough place.

I was watching plup vs mango from CEO and plup gets hit off stage and begins to up b, gets shined, then he double jumps then up b's again. I was under the impression that up bing would take your double jump away. My friend said that there are definitely moves that steal your double jump, like spacies side b, but are there some moves that don't (such as apparently sheik's up b not stealing it)? I'm just confused from the video that I saw and am trying to understand it and see what places it can be applied.

Video in question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZX8hByLlI#t=25s

First incident is at 26 seconds (video should start there) and it happens a few more times through out the first match.
Every character (except Puff and Yoshi) lose their DJ after they up-B. The catch is that not all of them lose their DJ at the BEGINNING of their up-B. Fox, Falco, and Pikachu I know for sure can retain their DJ after getting hit out of the startup of their up-Bs as long as they didn't DJ/tap jump right before starting it. I'm assuming that this holds true for the little flip at the beginning of Sheik's up-B.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
If I am standing still facing one way does it take an extra frame or so to dash the opposite way as opposed to the same way I'm facing?

Bones0

Smash Legend
If I am standing still facing one way does it take an extra frame or so to dash the opposite way as opposed to the same way I'm facing?
You have 1 frame of the turn animation before back dashes start, but not before forward dashes. If you have 20xx, definitely get used to using debug mode and frame advance so you can check these things yourself (it's pretty simple).

AirFair

Marth tho
So in terms of improving, what do you guys think of people who have a main, but sometimes use other characters in friendlies, or just to mess around? do you think that it harms their improvement?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
That kind of depends on how much is 'sometimes'. I don't think that playing secondaries is harmful ever, but you might miss potential improvement if you do it too much. I often start with secondaries to warm up because fox can be rough right off the bat sometimes. I also take breaks by switching up chars. My baseline is that I want to spend majority of serious practice time on my main.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Playing friendlies with characters other than my main is the largest thing that keeps me playing (cause it's a ton of fun for me), so in my case it's critical to me continuing to play. More relevantly, picking up a secondary character that you struggle against can sometimes help you get over that block.

I think once you get past a point of solid control and fundamentals with your main then playing others in non-serious matches won't really hurt. However, if you don't have a good sense of the game I think sticking to one character is really helpful.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
So in terms of improving, what do you guys think of people who have a main, but sometimes use other characters in friendlies, or just to mess around? do you think that it harms their improvement?
It probably does depend greatly on each player's individual capacity for learning and muscle memory, but....

I guess I'm of the minority here since I think it helps you greatly learning MUs and specific character idiosyncrasies. If you're intelligent; when you play another character, and you play that character against your main you will be actively learning things to avoid and available options from your "main's" POV. Moving with these other characters and intimately learning their spacing, recovery, punishments, approaches, etc. I believe being able to win locals with all the top tier characters can be crucial to having that last breakthrough to being a serious threat at regionals and nationals.

That's why you see most of the Gods and top top players able to be fluent with so many characters (especially the common top tiers). DJ Nintendo is a great example as well; not a top 10, but his knowledge of all the characters allows him to do very well no matter the MU or the rarity of that character. He is almost never beaten in an unfavorable MU or by a lesser character unless there is a large skill gap between him and a player.

Last edited:

TheBattleRifle

Wiltshire's GOAT
NNID
thebattlerifle
One question...

With Falco (Possibly the same with Fox, I wouldn't know because my Fox sucks) Why the hell can't you waveshine on platforms unless the shine connects? It's super annoying lol.
I don't know if this makes any difference but I'm using the PAL version of the game.

Top Bottom