• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Kadano

Magical Express
One question...

With Falco (Possibly the same with Fox, I wouldn't know because my Fox sucks) Why the hell can't you waveshine on platforms unless the shine connects? It's super annoying lol.
I don't know if this makes any difference but I'm using the PAL version of the game.
That’s not how it works. You drop through the platform if you keep holding down. If your shine connects, you have some more frames additional timing to let go of down. If you don’t connect the shine, but still let go of down on the control stick on the next frame, you won’t drop through either.

Nievy

Smash Rookie
So I just saw something about light presses and hard presses. Can someone explain when u use which? I'm also trying to WD OoS and I only use the L button. People say light press when shielding but that would impede the perfect shield possibility. Idk that's why I wanna know the difference on the. To use LP vs HP. Ty guys

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
WD out of shield for me is much easier to do with Light R jump Hard R or L jump R. Using only L to WD OoS is very uncomfortable and difficult for me.

Light shield incurs more shield stun and pushback, normal shied has normal shield stun and minimal pushback

Last edited:

Dextrose

Smash Cadet
does yoshis island have the potential to be tournament legal? Pokemon stadium is already being seen as not a good stage as everybody thinks with its different transformations, and yoshis island seems to be a pretty decent yet variable stage compared to the rest. The only thing that i see that might be causing it to not be tournament legal is maybe the cloud platform on the far right.

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
does yoshis island have the potential to be tournament legal? Pokemon stadium is already being seen as not a good stage as everybody thinks with its different transformations, and yoshis island seems to be a pretty decent yet variable stage compared to the rest. The only thing that i see that might be causing it to not be tournament legal is maybe the cloud platform on the far right.
No. Extreme potential for degenerate camping (and in many cases outright unbeatable stalling) on both the clouds and the platforms, and the edges are bad (edgeguarding, wavedashing to grab the ledge, and options from the ledge are messed up because they slope upwards). There are also the slopes in the main stage that slightly interfere with lots of of things.

Try playing against someone who's actively trying to camp on this stage. It was universally banned extremely early on; even stages like Mushroom Kingdom 2 and Onett were around for longer than it was.

Last edited:

William Sciambra

Smash Cadet
Welcome to the Question & Answer Thread and FAQ's

This thread's purpose is to try and keep the melee discussion board from being so cluttered and give those that are new to the game or those that have just a general question about the game to come here and ask! Everyone here is willing to help you, so don't be afraid to ask even the dumbest question! As long as it goes in here, you probably won't get trolled...probably :)

Also anyone feel free to IM me about this thread and smash in general, I love talking about smash online.

A Guide About Competitive Smash by SCOTU This a really good guide made by SCOTU, some of it is brawl material, but the general concepts apply. Read it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fun stuff to read

The almighty Magus DI Thread (Credit Witchking for Compiling)

Witchking Compilation of frame data

Mew2King's SSBM Statistics List

Out of Shield options frame data by Wiseman

The Official Everything Thread - The Basics, How to Improve, Frame Data, etc

FAQ’s

What is a frame?
A frame is 1/60th of a second, so 60 frames = 1 second.

How do I L cancel?
There are three timings to L cancelling: hitting nothing, hitting an opponent, hitting multiple opponents (ice climbers, teams, hitting shy guys on YS, etc), and hitting a shield. Each three have varied timings for each aerial. The only real way to get better at l cancelling is practicing.

How do I practice L cancelling on a shield if I don’t have anyone to play?
Go grab a rubber band, and around another controller wrap the rubber band around L or R and just go play.

What is DI, SDI, and ASDI and how are they different?
DI is your directional influence. After you are hit by an attack you are sent away in a direction depending on the attack. DI affects the trajectory at which you are flying at after you are hit. The better your DI is, the higher chance you have at living at higher %. There are frames of hitlag where you are frozen right before you are sent flying by an attack. During these frames, you can move using Smash DI. If you smash the control stick in that hitlag, your character “teleports” to that direction. It isn’t a very big difference, but enough to save yourself (Sdi’ing a fox uair). Automatic smash Di, or ASDI, occurs on the 1st frame of hitlag. The game reads the position of the stick on the frame of hitlag. C stick out prioritizes the control stick in this situation. The difference between SDI and ASDI is that ASDI doesn’t send you as far as SDI.

So…what are the best ways to DI?
Well it depends on the situation. If you want to DI out of a combo, You most likely hold away along with another direction depending on the move. If you want to survive a hit, like Marth’s fmash, then you want to survival DI, which is perpendicular to the trajectory that the move is sending you. For SDI and ASDI, it depends on what you are trying to do. Sometimes people try to SDI and ASDI into the stage so that they can tech. Other times they try to avoid follow ups, like the second hit of fox’s uair. Other times we try to tech on the stage so we SDI or ASDI in towards the stage so we don’t die from an edgeguard. It’s really situational depending on what you are trying to do.

Who should I main?
We can’t tell you. It all depends on how you want to play. For example, I love playing as sheik, but I don’t think most others do. I just find her enjoyable to play as. It’s all about preference, so take time to figure it out.

What exactly is CC?
CC is crouch cancelling. When you are hit while you are crouching, your knockback is reduced and hitstun is reduced apparently. You can also crouch cancel to cancel a dash. At low percentages you don’t fall over and can react with a variety of things, but when you start getting to higher percentages you fall and you can get wrecked…or you can tech it.

What are all these grabs?
Well theres your basic standing grab, dash grab, jump cancel (jc) grab, boost grab, pivot grab, and dash dance grab. The first two are exactly what their name implies. A jump cancelled grab is a grab where you dash, jump then grab before you start the jump animation. A boost grab is where you cancel the dash attack animation with a grab. A pivot grab is when you utilize the pivot, where you dash, then dash back into the neutral position instead of dashing the opposite direction, and grab. A dash dance grab is also exactly what it sounds like. When you dash dance, then grab. Each is good in its own right. You rarely use standing and dash grab. JC grab almost always > dash grab. Boost grab is really only good for the characters that gain momentum in their dash attacks, as they speed up when they grab, giving them a slight frame advantage. Pivot grabs are good for chaingrabing characters or for spacing, and same with DD grabs.

When Can I tech?
You can tech within 20 frames of hitting the ground, and then you can’t try for another 40.

What is buffering?
Out of a shield you can buffer an attack so that it does what you are imputing as soon as possible. You can jump cancel an upsmash, roll, jump and side dodge.

My favorite question: What button should I use for *insert command*?
WHATEVER THE **** YOU WANT

I'm going to my first tournament, what should I expect??

Don’t, for the love of god, expect to win. Come expecting to give it everything you’ve got and play to win, but don’t feel disappointed if you don’t come in first, or top 15, or make it out of pools even. Some of these players have been playing this game for 4-5 years, maybe more. Even if you haven’t heard their name, it doesn’t mean they still aren’t good. But come to play, come to win, but most importantly come to have fun. Be open with the players that are there. There is seriously nothing like the melee community. You will be glad you are apart of it. But again I digress. Please never expect anyone to have a controller for you. It is your responsibility to bring a controller to play with, besides, I personally like to play with a controller I know will work and know the ins and outs of. Don’t be late, don’t be late in your games, don’t john, don’t complain unless its legit, be a good sport. As far as money, it will usually cost 5-10 dollars for teams and another 5-15 dollars for singles. Plus, you will want money for food and drink, as these tournaments last the whole day. So 45-50 dollars is more than enough. Just be ready, don’t be an ***, and be prepared to meet a ton of new people and have a lot of fun!

Read this . Help TO's out in anyway you can, even if it means just not being late to the tourney, playing your matches when your supposed to, and cleaning up after yourself.

If I missed any or more pop up let me know and I will edit this
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So for the love of all things beautiful..

USE THIS THREAD
Wow

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
So I just saw something about light presses and hard presses. Can someone explain when u use which? I'm also trying to WD OoS and I only use the L button. People say light press when shielding but that would impede the perfect shield possibility. Idk that's why I wanna know the difference on the. To use LP vs HP. Ty guys
The thing about light shield for WD OOS is it makes it much smoother. If you hard press you have to release shield then mash it then release it then mash it again, but for light press you just have to press in harder to trigger the airdodge then let go slightly to bring up the shield again. However you cannot power shield with a light press of the shoulder button.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
The thing about light shield for WD OOS is it makes it much smoother. If you hard press you have to release shield then mash it then release it then mash it again, but for light press you just have to press in harder to trigger the airdodge then let go slightly to bring up the shield again. However you cannot power shield with a light press of the shoulder button.
Or you can just use the other shield trigger in tandem....I actually find that method much easier whether I'm light shielding or full shielding.

Shchoo

Smash Cadet
Tips for not letting nerves get to you when ahead in tournament? I recently lost my set in losers bracket in a tournament on game 3 ahead 4-2 stocks, because I got too nervous. I don't want to let that happen again

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Tips for not letting nerves get to you when ahead in tournament? I recently lost my set in losers bracket in a tournament on game 3 ahead 4-2 stocks, because I got too nervous. I don't want to let that happen again
In order to be able to find the most appropriate solutions for your nerves, you need to explore what specific things make you choke (fear of looking bad in front of your opponent, fear of not performing to your potential, being recorded, etc.) and what the symptoms of that choking are (technical flubs, distracting thoughts, choosing greedy panic options that you wouldn't normally do, etc.). That way you have a clear idea of what you should be improving (rather than a nebulous idea of "not choking"), and you're able to measure the results of your solutions effectively. Being aware of what's happening during the game and the specific instances where your choking manifests itself is important, since you need it in order to adjust/fix your play mid-game.

If you're getting nervous when you have a lead, then my guess is that you're thinking too much about the result rather than the game at hand. Don't overthink it; just focus on the present. Really, if you're winning then you should be more relaxed than if you're losing, since you can afford to play safe and you have a buffer for mistakes. Try and get "in the zone" on command; practice it by taking a moment between games or stocks to evaluate how focused or distracted you were, and then trying to improve your focus for the next game.

If you're making lots of technical flubs, then try to control your breathing to help deal with the excessive adrenaline (and the resulting twitching/shaking). If your decisions are becoming worse (things like being too impatient and fishing for kills prematurely), then make a note when it happens and consciously shift yourself back towards your gameplan; this is where awareness is really important, since it's easy to get carried away with panic decisions if you don't try to stop yourself.

In general:
• Having at least a superficial idea of a macro strategy to fall back on ("camp under the platforms, play reactively and zone a lot") makes things easier; that way if you notice you're doing something bad/worse than normal then you have something you can go to without expending too much of your limited capacity for thought, thereby buying yourself time to adapt more properly/thoroughly.

• Taking a second on the respawn platform and between matches to refocus yourself is extremely helpful. I find that this is easier with music since you can divert your attention to that in order to help you clear your thoughts.

• Fixating on mistakes during the set is never helpful; there's no reason to waste time and effort blaming yourself for flubbing a waveland or ending a combo prematurely. Just make a note of it and fix the problem/move on.

• Try listening to music. It helps bring you into a certain emotional state (depending on the song) and keeps it relatively consistent, and the music is also something you can focus on instead of distracting thoughts/external noise/stressful things.

• Do anything that happens to make you feel better; put your hood up or hum or rock back and forth or something.

• You can replicate the stress of tournament matches to an extent by having money matches, so you can use those to practice.

Last edited:

Shchoo

Smash Cadet
In order to be able to find the most appropriate solutions for your nerves, you need to explore what specific things make you choke (fear of looking bad in front of your opponent, fear of not performing to your potential, being recorded, etc.) and what the symptoms of that choking are (technical flubs, distracting thoughts, choosing greedy panic options that you wouldn't normally do, etc.). That way you have a clear idea of what you should be improving (rather than a nebulous idea of "not choking"), and you're able measure the results of your solutions effectively. Being aware of what's happening during the game and the specific instances where your choking manifests itself is important, since you need it in order to adjust/fix your play mid-game.

If you're getting nervous when you have a lead, then my guess is that you're thinking too much about the result rather than the game at hand. Don't overthink it; just focus on the present. Really, if you're winning then you should be more relaxed than if you're losing, since you can afford to play safe and you have a buffer for mistakes. Try and get "in the zone"; practice it by taking a moment between games or stocks to evaluate how focused or distracted you were, and then trying to improve your focus for the next game.

If you're making lots of technical flubs, then try to control your breathing to help deal with the excessive adrenaline (and the resulting twitching/shaking). If your decisions are becoming worse (things like being too impatient and fishing for kills prematurely), then make a note when it happens and consciously shift yourself back towards your gameplan; this is where awareness is really important, since it's easy to get carried away with panic decisions if you don't try to stop yourself.

In general:
• Having at least a superficial idea of a macro strategy to fall back on ("camp under the platforms, play reactively and zone a lot") makes things easier; that way if you notice you're doing something bad/worse than normal then you have something you can go to without expending too much of your limited capacity for thought, thereby buying yourself time to adapt more properly/thoroughly.

• Taking a second on the respawn platform and between matches to refocus yourself is extremely helpful. I find that this is easier with music since you can divert your attention to that in order to help you clear your thoughts.

• Fixating on mistakes during the set is never helpful; there's no reason to waste time and effort blaming yourself for flubbing a waveland or ending a combo prematurely. Just make a note of it and fix the problem/move on.

• Try listening to music. It helps bring you into a certain emotional state (depending on the song) and keeps it relatively consistent, and the music is also something you can focus on instead of distracting thoughts/external noise/stressful things.

• Do anything that happens to make you feel better; put your hood up or hum or rock back and forth or something.

• You can replicate the stress of tournament matches to an extent by having money matches, so you can use those to practice.
Thanks for the tips, I was starting to get into music, but my headphones broke; solid reminder to get a new pair ahha! Also, the money match idea is pretty good, definitely gonna try that out.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tips, I was starting to get into music, but my headphones broke; solid reminder to get a new pair ahha! Also, the money match idea is pretty good, definitely gonna try that out.
to add to what stride was saying, i find with myself that when i start playing poorly is when i become more focused on what my character is doing (combo execution, movement, etc.) then what my opponent is doing and then i get punished for not thinking enough about my opponent. So when i start playing bad i usually remind myself to refocus on what they are doing and not worry about where i am.

Jacuzzi Splot

Smash Cadet
Hi, i'm switching back to melee after years of brawl and smash 4 and have found an issue. When I'm dashing and go to dash in the opposite direction with some characters (such as ice climbers) they will just run slowly and stutter but other characters like Falcon run back and forth like I expect. Is this part of the game or a problem with my system?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Hi, i'm switching back to melee after years of brawl and smash 4 and have found an issue. When I'm dashing and go to dash in the opposite direction with some characters (such as ice climbers) they will just run slowly and stutter but other characters like Falcon run back and forth like I expect. Is this part of the game or a problem with my system?
You only have a short distance to dash and then dash the other way without turn lag, it's call "dash dance distance". Ice climbers have a more useful wave dash then their dash dance, but just practice dashing back and forth quickly then delaying it by a bit to find the max distance. Fox, Falcon and Marth have awesome dash dances.

If you are in a full dash and you know you'll incur the turn lag by dashing the other way the best options are to - Crouch cancel then move/attack, Wave Dash, Shield, or Short/Full Hop (or wait for dash to end so you can dash/walk the other way lag free). You can also do many Special moves, Jump Canceled Grabs and Up/Down smashes out of full dash.

With dash dancing there is also a more technical ability to pivot smash out of it (or other options)

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend

Byrdmain

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, first time poster here. I was looking into taking the spring out of one of my trigger buttons. Does anyone know if this is banned at any tournaments or is it legal?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
It's not banned or illegal to physically modify your controller.

It can only become an issue if you program macros or turbos, so you're fine

Cyan_Plaza

Smash Rookie
Is Smash worth getting into at a competitive level this late?

I played the game when I was younger and enjoyed it and the local scene around where is primarily Melee, so I wouldn't mind diving into it. However, is the game in a healthy state and is it too late to bother? I also really enjoyed Project M from what I played of it but the pressure from Nintendo to drop tournaments is kinda making me hesitant to jump in headfirst, and Smash 4 dosen't "feel" right to me, as it were.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Is Smash worth getting into at a competitive level this late?

I played the game when I was younger and enjoyed it and the local scene around where is primarily Melee, so I wouldn't mind diving into it. However, is the game in a healthy state and is it too late to bother? I also really enjoyed Project M from what I played of it but the pressure from Nintendo to drop tournaments is kinda making me hesitant to jump in headfirst, and Smash 4 dosen't "feel" right to me, as it were.
Melee is the most popular it's ever been and still growing even though it's almost 14 years old now..

So just play it already, it's not going anywhere as long as Nintendo keeps making baby smash games.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Play whatever game you enjoy. Melee is actually a very convenient game to enjoy, because the community is humongous and people will always be in your area to play with.

You could play a fairly new fighting game like MKX, KI, or whatever - and those communities will still be smaller than Melee's and be much shorter lasting, lol. Our community is ridiculous and undying, I'm sure it will even outlast Tekken 7 when that drops just to give you an idea.

So yes, it's worth it to play Melee.

Shchoo

Smash Cadet
Play whatever game you enjoy. Melee is actually a very convenient game to enjoy, because the community is humongous and people will always be in your area to play with.

You could play a fairly new fighting game like MKX, KI, or whatever - and those communities will still be smaller than Melee's and be much shorter lasting, lol. Our community is ridiculous and undying, I'm sure it will even outlast Tekken 7 when that drops just to give you an idea.

So yes, it's worth it to play Melee.
Yep, and on top of all that, if people start thinking it's "not worth it" to start, then the community will die faster. If you play it, it literally makes it "worth it".

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Would Puff be a good character as well? I would think yes, but at my local scene we have only 1 puff, so I don't have a lot of data to back it up.
No, I'd strongly recommend against that unless you want to main Puff.

Puff is essentially a Brawl character in Melee, very little tech or Melee ATs are required. She also has movement and strategies that don't transfer well to any other character.

For fundamentals I'd recommend Falcon; the speed, ATs, movement, and danger to SD will help train you how Melee is at it's core while helping you establish the fundamentals that you could carry over to many other top tiers. In many ways Falcon has it the easiest and the hardest of all the top tiers and I think once you can handle a character like that it would be quite easy to transfer to many others.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm trying out Melee again and I'm having trouble trying to wave dash.

Who is the best character to practice wave dashing?

Shchoo

Smash Cadet
I'm trying out Melee again and I'm having trouble trying to wave dash.

Who is the best character to practice wave dashing?
Whoever you plan on maining. Wavedash input timing varies for each character, based on the amount of Jumpsquat frames (frames that you're on ground after a jump input, before being airborne).

Ganondorf for example has a lot of jumpsquat frames, meaning that after the jump input you need to wait a longer time to input the airdodge to get a wavedash. Fox has the shortest jumpsquat, meaning that you have the least time after jumping to input you airdodge for a good wavedash. So if you just want to make sure you have the inputs down, and then worry about timing on a specific character, you could try Ganon, but I would recommend grinding it out on whatever character you want to main.

Krynxe

3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
No, I'd strongly recommend against that unless you want to main Puff.

Puff is essentially a Brawl character in Melee, very little tech or Melee ATs are required. She also has movement and strategies that don't transfer well to any other character.

For fundamentals I'd recommend Falcon; the speed, ATs, movement, and danger to SD will help train you how Melee is at it's core while helping you establish the fundamentals that you could carry over to many other top tiers. In many ways Falcon has it the easiest and the hardest of all the top tiers and I think once you can handle a character like that it would be quite easy to transfer to many others.
I agree that Jigglypuff is not a good first character to learn, but I also don't think Falcon is.

While puff teaches you a set of fundamentals that doesn't transfer well to other characters, I think most players who start by learning Falcon simply learn poor fundamentals. New players should be trying to better understand neutral game, but Falcon usually just teaches players how to force an opening and capitalize. What you're left with is players who just keep fishing for combo starters (aka PM players) and not players who try to take advantage of stage positioning and movement to win in the neutral game and earn their openings.

Punish game, edgeguarding, and capitalizing on combos are all very important aspects of melee, but many new players forget that they still need to find that openings or else nothing will come of it.

Again, I said "usually." If you learn to play Falcon smart like Wizzy did, then Falcon can be a great character to learn the game with because he's a very honest character most of the time, and cannot often rely on "gimmicks" to win matches. But at the end of the day, you can learn the game well with any character, so long as you keep a proper mindset and continue to learn about the game.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I obviously know about the delay associated with HDTVs, but to how much of a degree will this affect my game? I've been in training mode with Fox just grinding out movement and basic stuff like wavedashing applications, SHFFL, etc just because PM has probably spoiled me with how much easier the inputs are. It's still super hard, and I'm hoping that it has something to do with the TV and not just how bad I am. :mario64:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I obviously know about the delay associated with HDTVs, but to how much of a degree will this affect my game? I've been in training mode with Fox just grinding out movement and basic stuff like wavedashing applications, SHFFL, etc just because PM has probably spoiled me with how much easier the inputs are. It's still super hard, and I'm hoping that it has something to do with the TV and not just how bad I am. :mario64:
HDTV's make a huge difference, but if you've never played on a CRT before then you wouldn't be able to tell. You should get a CRT (also Melee is hard)

Shchoo

Smash Cadet
Yeah it becomes really noticeable once you're familiar with CRTs, to the point of frustration if I have to play on even the most minimally laggy setups.

Furthermore, grinding out tech on a laggy setup might screw you up a bit, as the visual cues you'll become accustomed to are significantly misplaced.

Last edited:

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
HDTV's make a huge difference, but if you've never played on a CRT before then you wouldn't be able to tell. You should get a CRT (also Melee is hard)
Yeah it becomes really noticeable once you're familiar with CRTs, to the point of frustration if I have to play on even the most minimally laggy setups.
Yeah I figured the "Melee is hard" thing was going to be the response. I'll look for a CRT I suppose. Thanks for the info people.

Last edited:

Shchoo

Smash Cadet
Yeah I figured the "Melee is hard" thing was going to be the response. I'll look for a CRT I suppose. Thanks for the info people.
Melee may be hard, but it's probably worth the learning, it seems that P:M is dying off to some extent what with Nintendos lack of support and VGBC (and others') lack of streaming.

ethn

Smash Rookie
I'm thinking about maining Falco (just got CRT, disk, controller, watched competitive melee for about a year before deciding to play) . Is there an average time that it takes to become relatively skilled, or is there anything I should know about beforehand? Any videos I should watch to get the main jist of falco? Thanks : )

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I'm thinking about maining Falco (just got CRT, disk, controller, watched competitive melee for about a year before deciding to play) . Is there an average time that it takes to become relatively skilled, or is there anything I should know about beforehand? Any videos I should watch to get the main jist of falco? Thanks : )
It takes a long time, like upwards of a year for most people, to get somewhat decent at the game. The only way to expedite this is with a lot of dedication: you have to practice a lot to get your tech skill down, you have to play a lot of people, you have to enter tournaments, you have to analyze your own gameplay to see what you are doing wrong (or get other people to help with that), and you have to analyze pro gameplay to see what makes them so good. It'll still take a long time though.

ethn

Smash Rookie
It takes a long time, like upwards of a year for most people, to get somewhat decent at the game. The only way to expedite this is with a lot of dedication: you have to practice a lot to get your tech skill down, you have to play a lot of people, you have to enter tournaments, you have to analyze your own gameplay to see what you are doing wrong (or get other people to help with that), and you have to analyze pro gameplay to see what makes them so good. It'll still take a long time though.
Wow, my friend told me it would take a while, but I didn't expect this long! Would it take a year to be able to beat regular people at tournaments, or is it gradual? Thanks, I'll try my best.

Shchoo

Smash Cadet
Yeah basically just try to play as much as you can against the best players you can find, and study your gameplay.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Wow, my friend told me it would take a while, but I didn't expect this long! Would it take a year to be able to beat regular people at tournaments, or is it gradual? Thanks, I'll try my best.
You get out what you put into it. Unfortunately, if you are working hard but not smart, it can take you way longer than someone else who isn't working as hard. Fortunately, there's now tons of tools and resources out there to help you learn and improve smart these days. When I started, I had no one to play, no 20xx, and no YouTube. Identify the most useful tools and resources and apply them as intelligently as possible.

Top Bottom