• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Nin10doSince96

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys, I'm new here and I'm looking to go from an intermediate player to an advanced player so I can become more involved in the competitive scene. Any suggestions where I should start?

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Hey Guys, I'm new here and I'm looking to go from an intermediate player to an advanced player so I can become more involved in the competitive scene. Any suggestions where I should start?
I also am looking for a place to start. I have played Melee since the very beginning, but never played competitively. Just looking to find a place to start!

xGat0x

Immaculate Maverick
I was wondering amongst you pro players, how long did it take for your button input to become phenomenally fast? I just started and at friendlies I'm just too slow, I can't move quickly enough. Any tips?

kingPiano

Smash Ace
I was wondering amongst you pro players, how long did it take for your button input to become phenomenally fast? I just started and at friendlies I'm just too slow, I can't move quickly enough. Any tips?
Practice + Time + Experience.

It's the same if you were to ask about how pro guitar players are so fast. It doesn't happen overnight, but with time and constructive practice it will become very easy and you will be pressing so many buttons without even thinking about it.

Everyone is different as well, some pros probably got it right away and within months they probably were more advanced than some other pros that had been playing for years. You can't change your game IQ or learning curve, just make the best with what you have and make it count (also don't compare yourself to others and don't forget to have fun while you learn).

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I remember reading that you couldn't buffer a dodge after ground teching an attack at high %s because you would waste 1 frame shielding and slide off before the dodge begins. Does this mean is it impossible to dodge at all since you have to shield (or dash, I guess) for at least 1 frame before dodging?

Kadano

Magical Express
I remember reading that you couldn't buffer a dodge after ground teching an attack at high %s because you would waste 1 frame shielding and slide off before the dodge begins. Does this mean is it impossible to dodge at all since you have to shield (or dash, I guess) for at least 1 frame before dodging?
A frame perfect dodge input (L / R + control stick ↓) would trigger a spot dodge before you’d slide off. (I thought I mentioned this in my video? Not sure now.)

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Where is the info on ledge snap radius AKA magnet hands

It seem the Mario Bros have a crazy radius and Game and Watch also, but I'd like to see the data on all chars.

This has been without a doubt the most impossible thing for me to find anywhere....my search/Google Fu is failing me

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
So I bought the Smash 4 GCC awhile back and as I'm starting to learn advanced Falco tech having the trigger get stuck and sometimes just not go all the way down, doing waveshines is hard to practice so I was looking to buy a new controller (An official one no Hori battle pads!) to play with and I was wondering what people would reccomend. I really like the spice color (http://www.amazon.com/GameCube-Controller-Spice-Orange-Pc/dp/B0000E5U6J) But I'd like to hear what people like and where people get their new controllers!

xGat0x

Immaculate Maverick
Question. Is waveshining with falco on a platform a thing? Because whenever I try this to combo I end up just slightly falling through the platform therefore unable to waveshine etc. Also tips on mastering multishining. I got the timing down just need to do more than 2 lol

Bones0

Smash Legend
Question. Is waveshining with falco on a platform a thing? Because whenever I try this to combo I end up just slightly falling through the platform therefore unable to waveshine etc. Also tips on mastering multishining. I got the timing down just need to do more than 2 lol
You have to release down on the stick before frame 4 of shine or else you drop through. It's much easier to do if you hit the opponent because the hitlag gives you a longer frame window before you reach frame 4.

Eonn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SirEon
Who are the best characters for someone who prefers to play more defensively and force approaches?

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Who are the best characters for someone who prefers to play more defensively and force approaches?
Samus and Bowser

The two in your avatar as well - Jigglypuff is all about camping and walling out approaches, for many characters it can dangerous to try and grab or attack her too close and she has an amazing punish game. Kirby has very fast tilts, D-smash, great shield, and a fast rangy Bair (long shield grab range too)

Last edited:

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Don't play Bowser. Or Kirby.

Samus controls the ground very well, while Puff controls the air. Either are solid characters depending on your defensive interests.

Bones0

Smash Legend
The great thing about Melee is most characters are very flexible in the way they can be played. You can turtle with pretty much any character if done properly, though some certainly seem to have more of an affinity with that style than others. If you want to play defensively, you'll want a character with strong defensive traits (high weight, low gravity, good shield/OoS options). To force the opponent to come to you, you'll probably want a character with a projectile. I'd say that narrows your picks down to Peach, Sheik, Samus, Doc/Mario, and maybe ICs (not the best defense, but have huge payoff for effectively forcing approaches). You really just have to try them all out and see who fits you best. Feel free to pick 2-3, but it's usually advisable that you focus strongly on 1 as a main when starting out.

Nievy

Smash Rookie
You guys seem very very helpful! Seems like I'm going to love the smash community. So I'm 26 and I've always loved melee and have been playing it since I was 12. There was a point in time when I was practicing advanced techs with fox and getting that damn short hop to 100% was hard as hell. I got it to like 60% before stopping 2 years ago. Well my question is, how do u guys play the control? I know it sounds dumb but for fox players do u guys use the c stick? What shoulder do u guys use to shield to tech easier? I would like a video showing the different ways people play the controller. Thanks guys

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
You guys seem very very helpful! Seems like I'm going to love the smash community. So I'm 26 and I've always loved melee and have been playing it since I was 12. There was a point in time when I was practicing advanced techs with fox and getting that damn short hop to 100% was hard as hell. I got it to like 60% before stopping 2 years ago. Well my question is, how do u guys play the control? I know it sounds dumb but for fox players do u guys use the c stick? What shoulder do u guys use to shield to tech easier? I would like a video showing the different ways people play the controller. Thanks guys
There are two main ways of holding a controller that I've seen. There's the standard grip (shown in this video) which is thumb over buttons (and reaching down for C-Stick), left thumb on control stick, left index on L, and either right index on Z and right middle on R or right index on R. The second common way is Claw (shown here), which is usually index and middle over buttons and thumb over C-Stick. There isn't a right or wrong way to hold a controller, but I've seen most top players use standard (although I think M2K uses a hybrid of sorts). All top players use C-Stick for a majority of aerials and what shoulder button you use to tech/shield/WD is your preference; there's no advantage or disadvantage to using one or the other.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I just want to pitch in and say if you want a technical Fox claw is really useful especially for things like short hop double laser and jump canceling shines, grabs, and up smashes because you have two fingers on the right side of the control sick instead of one.

Does anyone have a link to the Evo bracket?
You can look at this for top 32 but I thought I saw Chu and Laudandus play yesterday so it could be outdated, I'm really not sure though.

Edit:
Lol I forgot the link
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/smash/EVO_2015/Singles_Bracket

Last edited:

Nievy

Smash Rookie
There are two main ways of holding a controller that I've seen. There's the standard grip (shown in this video) which is thumb over buttons (and reaching down for C-Stick), left thumb on control stick, left index on L, and either right index on Z and right middle on R or right index on R. The second common way is Claw (shown here), which is usually index and middle over buttons and thumb over C-Stick. There isn't a right or wrong way to hold a controller, but I've seen most top players use standard (although I think M2K uses a hybrid of sorts). All top players use C-Stick for a majority of aerials and what shoulder button you use to tech/shield/WD is your preference; there's no advantage or disadvantage to using one or the other.
Spak thank you so much for the response man! Sorry I'm getting back to u so late. It seems like that first way is the way I would play but how is that guy using the c stick? With his palm? I didn't see him use his right thumb on the c stick at all. I always had problems short hopping and uair using the c stick unfortunately. Thanks for ur contribution bro

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Spak thank you so much for the response man! Sorry I'm getting back to u so late. It seems like that first way is the way I would play but how is that guy using the c stick? With his palm? I didn't see him use his right thumb on the c stick at all. I always had problems short hopping and uair using the c stick unfortunately. Thanks for ur contribution bro
He uses his thumb for up and sides and his index finger for down on the C-Stick. you can see him use his index at the start and give the stick a few flicks with his thumb throughout the video. I've always used standard and never seen the huge advantage to using claw because using a middle finger try to short hop would be disastrous for me, but some people like it better than the standard grip.

Nievy

Smash Rookie
He uses his thumb for up and sides and his index finger for down on the C-Stick. you can see him use his index at the start and give the stick a few flicks with his thumb throughout the video. I've always used standard and never seen the huge advantage to using claw because using a middle finger try to short hop would be disastrous for me, but some people like it better than the standard grip.
Thanks brotha that really helps. I guess it's just working on my dexterity. Any suggestions other than "playing the game"?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Thanks brotha that really helps. I guess it's just working on my dexterity. Any suggestions other than "playing the game"?
Watching videos, learning about the game in general, and most importantly, playing the game with other humans. Tech skill you can practice alone, but you can't practice spacing, reads, adapting, or mindgames without another human. Also, try to implement your tech into matches and learn exactly where/when everything that you can do in the lab should be effectively used in a match.

Nievy

Smash Rookie
Watching videos, learning about the game in general, and most importantly, playing the game with other humans. Tech skill you can practice alone, but you can't practice spacing, reads, adapting, or mindgames without another human. Also, try to implement your tech into matches and learn exactly where/when everything that you can do in the lab should be effectively used in a match.
Ty man but I meant for improving my tech skill haha the rest I'll have to learn with others like u said

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Ty man but I meant for improving my tech skill haha the rest I'll have to learn with others like u said
Oh, nope. Just playing the game.

If you want to use training mode for training, though, you should probably use the Single-Player Glitch instead. You don't get an option to slow down game speed, but you'll be able to use your C-Stick for the aerials or smash attacks. This mode is also much easier to practice stage movement on because you won't have another character on-stage.

Nievy

Smash Rookie
Oh, nope. Just playing the game.

If you want to use training mode for training, though, you should probably use the Single-Player Glitch instead. You don't get an option to slow down game speed, but you'll be able to use your C-Stick for the aerials or smash attacks. This mode is also much easier to practice stage movement on because you won't have another character on-stage.
Mkay thanks man very helpful. Also how long did it take u to get proficient? I know everyone learns differently but just so I get an idea. Also after wavedashing with foxy I get the shield at the end of the wavedash. Is that because I should release the shoulder button sooner? I tend to press it all the way in, u know how the shoulder buttons have like a two step sensitivity? Where u barely tap it or press it till u feel the click? I always feel the click

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Mkay thanks man very helpful. Also how long did it take u to get proficient? I know everyone learns differently but just so I get an idea. Also after wavedashing with foxy I get the shield at the end of the wavedash. Is that because I should release the shoulder button sooner? I tend to press it all the way in, u know how the shoulder buttons have like a two step sensitivity? Where u barely tap it or press it till u feel the click? I always feel the click
Well, I learned how to WD in 2008 (saw some stuff about competitive Smash online), didn't do anything related to competitive Melee for 4 years (because Brawl drew away my interest for a time), and then started to pick Melee back up and implement WD-ing in late 2012. I really only started to use it fluently in mid-late 2013, but its implementation is a gradual process as you learn when to WD and when not to WD. If you're shielding after a WD, that means that you're holding the shoulder button for too long. You need to hit the click and then release the shoulder button when you WD; if you don't click then you won't airdodge, but if you don't release soon enough you'll keep your shield up after the WD. It's mostly just muscle memory.

Nievy

Smash Rookie
Well, I learned how to WD in 2008 (saw some stuff about competitive Smash online), didn't do anything related to competitive Melee for 4 years (because Brawl drew away my interest for a time), and then started to pick Melee back up and implement WD-ing in late 2012. I really only started to use it fluently in mid-late 2013, but its implementation is a gradual process as you learn when to WD and when not to WD. If you're shielding after a WD, that means that you're holding the shoulder button for too long. You need to hit the click and then release the shoulder button when you WD; if you don't click then you won't airdodge, but if you don't release soon enough you'll keep your shield up after the WD. It's mostly just muscle memory.
Well spak thanks alot for all the help man. I really appreciate it. Alot of insight into how to play. Ty

Monkley6

Smash Journeyman
Is there any particularly good way to practice putting combos together? Having no one to practice against, I'd like to find a way to practice alone and get some more reward off of my punishes.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
So I just got Dolphin on my computer and when I run Melee it generally does fine. However, sometimes it can get a little choppy visually (as far as I can tell my inputs aren't affected though) and also I basically cannot run FoD. are there settings I can change that will improve this? I know almost nothing about it so I didn't want to mess things up myself.

Top Bottom