• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ Dolla Pills Dolla Pills Even frame perfect shine OoS is actually aerial for at least 5 frames. This means that you have to delay your jump a bit to land if you don't want to dj out of the shine.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
@ Dolla Pills Dolla Pills Even frame perfect shine OoS is actually aerial for at least 5 frames. This means that you have to delay your jump a bit to land if you don't want to dj out of the shine.
Yeah I know that in practice but I kinda failed to explain it. Just out of curiosity is five the number of frames you have to wait after the shine comes out for you to be on the ground or the number of frames you have to wait after inputting the jump?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
The former is what I meant. More precisely, when you jump and shine on the first aerial frame, you'll land on frame 5 (both fox and falco) of the shine animation. So frame 6 is the earliest you can do grounded jump out of the shine. The earliest frame of shine you can jump on is 4.

If your shine whiffs, it usually doesn't matter, because it's very hard to be that fast(input shine OoS, then jump on frame 4 or 5). But if you hit with the shine, it matters in practice too because of hitlag. With falco it happens a bit easier since his shine has 1 frame more hitlag.

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
I know this probably sounds like the scrubbiest thing on Smashboards, but I can not short hop with Fox. I want to try and get as technical with him as I am with Falco, but I can't do anything, no multi-shines, no SHFFL'd aerials, nothing. Can anyone give me a tip on how to possibly short-hop with this character?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I know this probably sounds like the scrubbiest thing on Smashboards, but I can not short hop with Fox. I want to try and get as technical with him as I am with Falco, but I can't do anything, no multi-shines, no SHFFL'd aerials, nothing. Can anyone give me a tip on how to possibly short-hop with this character?
You just have to practice releasing the button as fast as possible. I use Y, so to SH I angle the last joint of my thumb downwards then straighten it to release. This movement seems faster/more efficient than keeping your thumb straight and moving the entire digit down and up.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Like EVERYTHING in melee It just takes time and practice, there often aren't short cuts or tricks. But when I first started with Samus (who also has a 2 frame SH) I would practice in a very quick alternating motion I'd lightly jab the y button as fast as I could with the tip of my thumb aiming downwards and then I'd see how fast I could nair by hitting the A button with the middle part of my thumb. But don't just do a rocking motion from tip to middle digit, actually try and keep them as two separate motions 1-2....1-2.....1-2. I would find that focusing on getting that Nair out as fast as possible it would indirectly help increase my tap jumping speed as I practiced.

After a while I no longer had to do it a certain way and the timing just comes naturally in any situation. Walk left and right, DD, and dash while practicing SH as well, that adds in another aspect of coordination but it comes with enough practice through muscle memory.

What you definitely don't want to do is be tight or tense in your hands as you practice, those bad habits can lead to carpal tunnel or other hand injuries. Stay loose and take breaks, stretch your hands every once in a while.

And if all else fails and you just can't SH that fast.....just main a character that has at least a 3+ frame SH; will be much easier, Falco has a 4 frame SH for instance.

doc: 3
mario: 3
luigi: 3
bowser: 7
peach: 4
yoshi: 4
dk: 4
falcon: 3
ganon: 5
falco: 4
ness: 3
zelda: 5
link: 5
young link: 3
jiggy: 4
mewtwo: 4
game+watch: 3
marth: 3
roy: 4

fox: 2
pichu: 2
pikachu: 2
ic: 2
kirby: 2
samus: 2
sheik: 2

Last edited:

Cool

Smash Journeyman
Like EVERYTHING in melee It just takes time and practice, there often aren't short cuts or tricks. But when I first started with Samus (who also has a 2 frame SH) I would practice in a very quick alternating motion I'd lightly jab the x button as fast as I could with the tip of my thumb aiming downwards and then I'd see how fast I could nair by hitting the A button with the middle part of my thumb. But don't just do a rocking motion from tip to middle digit, actually try and keep them as two separate motions 1-2....1-2.....1-2. I would find that focusing on getting that Nair out as fast as possible it would indirectly help increase my tap jumping speed as I practiced.

After a while I no longer had to do it a certain way and the timing just comes naturally in any situation. Walk left and right, DD, and dash while practicing SH as well, that adds in another aspect of coordination but it comes with enough practice through muscle memory.

What you definitely don't want to do is be tight or tense in your hands as you practice, those bad habits can lead to carpal tunnel or other hand injuries. Stay loose and take breaks, stretch your hands every once in a while.

And if all else fails and you just can't SH that fast.....just main a character that has at least a 3+ frame SH; will be much easier, Falco has a 4 frame SH for instance.

Bowser jumpsquat though.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Bowser jumpsquat though.
Yea I'm sure my gran gran can do Bowser SH's all day err day

Bowser jumpsquat so slow you push jump button, go take lunch break, update PS3 firmware, come back, and you still got time to let go for SH. OHHHHhhhhhhh snappppppp

Bowser so fat he....

Cool

Smash Journeyman
doesn't even have a full hop roflllllllllllllll

Bowser SH so easy the FH hasn't been done

Bones0

Smash Legend

All of those are off by a frame... Fox, Pikachu, ICs, etc. all have 3 frames of jumpsquat (airborne on frame 4). Maybe you just meant the jump button must be released by that frame, but the way you worded it kind of suggests characters SH sooner than they FH, which isn't the case.

hidensheik11

Smash Apprentice
Can someone explain which direction you should DI when you are sent horizontally right? Like not sent towards the corner or anything but just sent plainly horizontal? thanks

Last edited:

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
Another question, jumping, shining, waveland onto platform, whilst the hitbox hits the person on the platform. I can't do it...

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
There's a tournament coming up, my first tourney, so I'm trying to cram as much knowledge in as possible, so forgive me for the constant questions. I'm going to need to take a break because my hand started swelling from multi-shines, thanks guys.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Another question, jumping, shining, waveland onto platform, whilst the hitbox hits the person on the platform. I can't do it...
You have to delay the double jump and waveland a bit because you will be in hit lag after hitting them

from what I got from that video, I would DI up. confirm? also thanks a lot this cleared up a lot of confusion
Yeah that should give you your best survival DI. Now you can also try to DI/ASDI/SDI into the ground and tech to prevent being sent off stage, but those get risky at high percents because if you miss the tech you will probably die.

Last edited:

kingPiano

Smash Ace
from what I got from that video, I would DI up. confirm? also thanks a lot this cleared up a lot of confusion
On or near the ground (or platforms) it would be much MUCH smarter to DI down and toward the opponent and hit the C-stick downward as well to ADSI further into the ground, also try and shield as soon as the attack connects. This is known as an Amsah tech and it can force the trajectory of the knockback into ground, when you hit ground it will reduce the hitstun and velocity and you may be able to tech or auto grab ledge. It's a life saver.

If it's a shallow angle KB attack in the air like Shiek or Falcon's fair and you have no chance of hitting ground or a platform well there is no universally "correct" way to DI since if you DI up you will get sent even further horizontally on account of gravity, and if you DI down it will send you at a steeper downward angle which is bad since most characters don't have the best vertical recovery.

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ BuddingtonDa3rd BuddingtonDa3rd @ DefyPls DefyPls It's better to just press x/y the same time as R/L to techwalljump (yes, using jump button has huge 20 frame buffer window like teching), because often you want to [A]SDI into the wall.

@ kingPiano kingPiano I'll add that while in the rare case of purely horizontal kb it doesn't matter, the best di to amsah tech with is usually down on c-stick and combo di with control stick: down and away (When teching moves that send diagonally like fox bair/dsmash for example) or straight away, if the move sends (almost) purely upwards (marth uair).

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
Another question, waveland from the the ledge with Falco/Fox. It seems really fast, and I can do it with basically anyone else but these two, any tips?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The timing is very similar to a normal wavedash. You can also shine before doing it, which wastes a few frames of invincibility but might make the timing easier to be consistent with when you are learning.

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
Thank you, also, whenever you are multi-shining you can press A as many times as you want and not do d-airs as long as you're frame perfect right?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
A-button does nothing during shine or jumpsquat, so for example you can slide from X to B over A.

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
Okay, another question concerning ASDI and SDI. I'm having trouble with DI, thankfully I've known about Kadano's Melee Mechanics YouTube Channel for quite a while now, anyway, I can't seem to SDI out of an U-air with Fox, can anyone help me with this, and what exactly is ASDI (Inputs, How to do, etc.)?

Kadano

Magical Express
Okay, another question concerning ASDI and SDI. I'm having trouble with DI, thankfully I've known about Kadano's Melee Mechanics YouTube Channel for quite a while now, anyway, I can't seem to SDI out of an U-air with Fox, can anyone help me with this, and what exactly is ASDI (Inputs, How to do, etc.)?
You might want to watch my video on DI (“Hitlag and directional influence”) to the end. All of this is explained in there.

Last edited:

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
Okay, but am I going to have to slam my stick to the left/right during hitlag, or is it a specific window where I can input left/right?

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
One last question, Wall-jump Tech and Wall Tech whilst "sweet-spotting" the edge. Do you have to press L/R and X/Y for 1 frame? All of the frame data I've seen they hit L/R and X/Y for 1 frame and I can tech on ground easy, but for wall techs I'm extremely inefficient. I apologize for pestering everyone here, but I'm going to my first tournament soon, so I'm trying to cram as much information in as possible so when I see a "QnA thread" I went a little crazy, thank you for your time.

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
I understand the video now Kadano, I don't know why I didn't at first, but basically Fox and Marth have 4 frames of hitlag, and in any of those frames you can SDI to the left or right to move out of the way of the second hit, right?

DefyPls

Smash Cadet
React to roll, jump b-air or d-smash, or for spacies, u-tilt, basically anything that hits behind you, or you can pivot grab.

dj_red_lantern

Smash Rookie
These days I have a lot of time to do 1 on 1 practice sessions with my friend who is approximately my level. We want to practice in a way that will make us get better as quickly as possible. Anyone have any tips to make long practice sessions more worthwhile than just playing games over and over again?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ DefyPls DefyPls It doesn't matter how long you hold the x/y or R/L as long as you press them within 20 frames of hitting the wall, and don't have your tech disabled by earlier R/L input. It's explained in the video too. If you're still inefficient, there are three major aspects I think you might go wrong with.
1) You have to be very close to the wall before you get hit if the hit sends you away from it, o.w. it will be very hard to touch it via [A]SDI.
2) You have to [A]SDI into the wall. So make sure you're holding towards the ledge when you get hit, unless you go for SDI tech, which might be required at high%.
3) You might be hitting the R/L too late. 20 frames is a long window. Whenever I sweetspot, I press R a bit before I reach the wall/edge. So I kind of option select teching before I even know whether my opponent is trying to hit me or not. I don't try to react to a move and tech, because you can't input tech during hitlag unless you SDI into the wall on the same frame.

You can sdi the uair in any direction, and the best direction to sdi to depends on your character and the way the fox is moving. With puff you often sdi up for example, with marth I think side works usually better. And while the hitlag of the 1st hit of uair is 4 frames, you can't sdi on the 1st one (the hit frame), so the window is actually only 3 frames.

Top Bottom