• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hey guys... there was some thread I saw a while back about hand/wrist exercises and stuff to keep them healthy, avoiding the strain from Melee. I've been thinking about that stuff so if anyone knows what thread I'm talking about could you link me?
I'm pretty sure it was in Melee Discussion. You should be able to just check manually if no one remembers the title.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
Where do I go to train with people around my area? Besides Tournaments, I don't see anything else
Look for your local facebook group. Do you attend the tournaments? You can ask around at them and you are likely to find your local scene.

Got a question!
Against Fox, I want to be able to properly escape his aerial mixups between dair and nair. If I hold down, I lose to dair, but if I try to SDI sideways, I miss the CC against the nair. Can I just hold down on the C-stick and try to SDI sideways and escape both options? (assuming I don't miss the SDI and I am low enough damage to ASDI down out of the attack)

Bones0

Smash Legend
Look for your local facebook group. Do you attend the tournaments? You can ask around at them and you are likely to find your local scene.

Got a question!
Against Fox, I want to be able to properly escape his aerial mixups between dair and nair. If I hold down, I lose to dair, but if I try to SDI sideways, I miss the CC against the nair. Can I just hold down on the C-stick and try to SDI sideways and escape both options? (assuming I don't miss the SDI and I am low enough damage to ASDI down out of the attack)
Yeah, you can do that. You won't get a true CC obviously, but if you're talking about techchase situations then they are likely hitting you before you can crouch anyway.

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
I've always been wondering why Pokemon Stadium is a counterpick while Mute City is not.

We can all agree that Pokemon Stadium gives a disproportionate to "spacies" : low ceiling, sufficient space for running away and spamming lasers... Let's not talk about the Fire and Rock transformations. XD

I am not again Pokemon Stadium being a counterpick at all. However, I wonder why Mute City is not a counterpick as well to "balance" Pokemon Stadium by giving an possible advantage for "floaties".

I wonder, too, if there's a topic on Smash Boards discussing the legality of Mute City. I would love reading it!

Bones0

Smash Legend
I've always been wondering why Pokemon Stadium is a counterpick while Mute City is not.

We can all agree that Pokemon Stadium gives a disproportionate to "spacies" : low ceiling, sufficient space for running away and spamming lasers... Let's not talk about the Fire and Rock transformations. XD

I am not again Pokemon Stadium being a counterpick at all. However, I wonder why Mute City is not a counterpick as well to "balance" Pokemon Stadium by giving an possible advantage for "floaties".

I wonder, too, if there's a topic on Smash Boards discussing the legality of Mute City. I would love reading it!
http://smashboards.com/threads/rethinking-the-tournament-legal-counter-picks.371793/

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I recall having been hit by Kraid, or something random, before on Brinstar Depths, when he was hitting the stage to spin it. Does Kraid have hitboxes? Is this some kind of known glitch? Do I just remember something that most likely never happened?

Acorn

Smash Cadet
I'm trying to understand pivot grabs. I think I understand what it is and how it works, but what situations would favor/require this over a normal JC grab?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I'm trying to understand pivot grabs. I think I understand what it is and how it works, but what situations would favor/require this over a normal JC grab?
The only consequential difference is that pivot grab completely stops you. You can sometimes sneak in pivot grabs while doing dash jc grab would get you hit. I find pivot grabs particularly useful in scenarios like this: I'm dashing away from a fox with marth while the fox is trying to overshoot me with a nair, so that we are close to each other and moving in the same direction. I can't really punish him with shield, and dashing at him would get me hit. So if I wanted to jc grab him, I would have wait him to land, and only after that could I dash back in to the grab, but at that point the fox would be able to act. So instead I pivot grab at just a little bit further than his nair can reach before he lands. This way I can start the grab before he lands, so that I grab him during the landing lag.

Then there are some tight situations, such as marth chain grab on spacies at certain %, where pivot grabbing is required to get the grab box out fast enough at a certain spot (dd grab would be little bit slower, because you would have to dash away for a bit longer to account for the movement during jc grab. Jcing also takes 1 frame at minimum.)

The Soap

Smash Apprentice
I'm looking to buy a new controller, and I keep hearing that the white controller's shoulder buttons are a lot stiffer, but white controllers are the only ones available new for cheap. Should I get a new white controller or a used older one?

CeLL

Smash Lord
Are there any other specific moves that you should always SDI a certain way, like Fox's uair?

Last edited:

doogsley

Smash Rookie
i feel as if i'm too panic-y with my button mashing! like, i'm doing a lot of work and not seeing a high hit percentage. (it doesn't really help that i'm maining ness, who is pretty button-mashy in the first place with djcs and such haha.) do you guys have any tips on slowing down and playing smarter, not harder?

Bones0

Smash Legend
i feel as if i'm too panic-y with my button mashing! like, i'm doing a lot of work and not seeing a high hit percentage. (it doesn't really help that i'm maining ness, who is pretty button-mashy in the first place with djcs and such haha.) do you guys have any tips on slowing down and playing smarter, not harder?
Ness is very limited in his ability to attack while moving forward. Most of your hits are going to come from zoning good hitboxes like fair and bair or punishing people who overcommit (dash away, DJC back towards them and bair). Pressing a lot of buttons isn't necessarily bad as long as you aren't doing extraneous inputs, and slowing down is not equivalent to playing smarter. Ultimately, you need to be playing as fast as possible and still make good decisions. Start out by trying to make good decisions, and once you find yourself picking good options that still aren't working, you can try to improve your speed and efficiency with those options to make them more effective.

If you just need a single word to reiterate all of this to yourself before every match, it should be "positioning". Always focus on your position relative to the opponent. Here are some good questions to ask yourself:

Which of us is in a better position?
How can I change from a disadvantaged positioning to an advantaged one? (This is why people roll away from the ledge so often.)
How can I beat him from my disadvantaged position? (This is why people charge with a "desperation" attack from the ledge.)
How can I abuse him with my advantaged position? (Waiting and attacking on reaction is very powerful when you have stage control.)

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ CeLL CeLL Depends on your point of view, but if you execute perfectly, you can grab on the 2nd frame of jump. So if you consider first frame of jumpsquat as frame 1, then grab hits on frame 8. It's not really relevant though, since in situations which you want grab box out asap, such as OoS, you don't jc grab.

Espi

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys analyze sets? How do I take things from sets that I watch? I feel like what I do now isn't very efficient...

tauKhan

Smash Lord
How does throw knockback work?

I keep getting conflicting answers on whether or not it's purely based on falling speed. Also, there's these two pages:

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Gravity#Gravity_values_in_Melee

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Weight

That don't make much sense to me when I look at KO percents that I know are correct for the same throw.

Also possible those pages are full of false info but that seemed unlikely to me considering the subject and detail.
Throw kb is unaffected by weight, so it's the same for all the chars. Therefore only terminal falling speed and gravity matter for survivability. However, many throws are slower the heavier characters are thrown, so heavier characters are harder to combo off such throws.

For questions like this, you can sometimes find answer here http://smashboards.com/threads/2014-ssbm-compendium-of-knowledge-updated-1-2-14.339520/

In this case you can find the answer from a Magus420 thread linked to the compendium: http://smashboards.com/threads/detailed-throws-techs-and-getups-frame-data.206469/

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@Melee Mewtwo Falling trajectory is affected by both gravity and terminal fall velocity. To be precise, gravity accelerates your falling velocity until you have reached your terminal velocity, after which your fall speed is fixed at the terminal velocity. Also, you have at the same time independent kb vector upwards, which gradually decreases over time, and falling vector downwards. You can reach terminal falling velocity even before your character actually moves downwards.

Also, if you are using that as a source, why are you asking here. I mean, you don't argue with Magus420 ;).

Last edited:

ManoxMano

Smash Journeyman
@ T-R3X T-R3X When you are in shield and you are attacked you receive slight knockback depending on the direction of your control stick (Pretty sure this 'knockback' defaults to your character moving behind) so when a shielded char gets hit near the ledge they'll get pushed off.

(Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong)

tauKhan

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y-MRO2PTmY#t=7m21s
I've seen this before (where the person is shielding and they get pushed off) but why does this happen?
I think that's a case of falco pushing fox of the edge because of collision. You can see that just before fox falls, falco is overlapping fox quite a bit, causing fox to be pushed back to make way for falco.

@ ManoxMano ManoxMano You are mixing up two mechanics. The first one is shield kb, which happens when you block an attack, and causes you to be pushed away(I think even if the attack normally sends backwards) from the opponent. If the attacker is grounded, he too is pushed away from the blocker.

The second one is shield A/SDI, which works precisely like normal A/SDI, except it's done during shield hitlag, it's weaker and can only be inputted horizontally. For example the so called marth killer is done by shielding at edge, asding incoming hit toward the edge to make you slide off the edge and the grab the ledge.

Bones0

Smash Legend
The first one is shield kb, which happens when you block an attack, and causes you to be pushed away(I think even if the attack normally sends backwards) from the opponent. If the attacker is grounded, he too is pushed away from the blocker.
I don't think the game cares where the defender is in relation to the attacker. I feel like when Marth nairs really deep on someone's shield for example, you can actually get pulled in because he is hitting the back of your shield. I can't think of a better disjointed hitbox to test this with. Maybe DK's fair or give the defender a poison mushroom to make it more clear where they are being hit?

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ Bones0 Bones0 I think you are right; I was going to post something along those lines, but then I realized I don't actually know if it's right, so I foolishly settled on describing what usually seems to happen. I have to figure this out. My point just was, that the shield kb doesn't care about normal kb angle at all, but as you said, it's even more different than that. I don't know for sure, but I think that the shield kb is linear function of the dmg (except for yoshi it's zero on full shield).

Edit: thanks Kadano

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
@ Bones0 Bones0 @ T tauKhan I’m the one who started saying ECB position is the deciding factor. I just tested this again, and it’s still true. (I used Marth’s nair and Pikachu’s late uair, both clearly hitting the outer part of the target’s shield.)

Shield pushback direction is determined solely by where the defender stands compared to the attacker. Hitbubble knockback direction is irrelevant too.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
what exactly would happen if i did a shai drop out of a moonwalk? i'm thinking that it would just send me back after dropping instead of forward, but i just want to be sure. i doubt that this would ever have any utility though, other than for styling, which i suppose is important enough in itself.

switchedflip

Smash Rookie
Sup guys, im new to melee and have a few questions. 1. How important is it to use a crt when practice or is it not at all? 2> I have downloaded the 20xx hackpack but don't know how to set it up so that it flashes red and white when practicing l cancelling.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Sup guys, im new to melee and have a few questions. 1. How important is it to use a crt when practice or is it not at all? 2> I have downloaded the 20xx hackpack but don't know how to set it up so that it flashes red and white when practicing l cancelling.
It's important to use a CRT because they guarantee no input lag. You can use HD monitors but there is a high probability that it will have a good amount of input lag, thus hindering the player from utilizing certain techs and reads.

I can't really help you with the 20XX hack pack, sorry.

Last edited:

switchedflip

Smash Rookie
It's important to use a CRT because they guarantee no input lag. You can use HD monitors but there is a high probability that it will have a good amount of input lag, thus hindering the player from utilizing certain techs and reads.

I can't really help you with the 20XX hack pack, sorry.
Any Idea where i can pick up a said crt on the cheap?

Top Bottom