• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Bluuee

Smash Rookie
I've never really used anything but a GC controller and liked it. I've used a keyboard and that's probably the worst one, I've used a 360 controller and that's OK but not great (since the C-Stick is as big as the control stick and the button placement isn't the same), and I've never used a Playstation controller for Melee but I'd assume the 360 would be better because the stick placement is the same. Also, GC controllers aren't region-locked, so if controllers were significantly cheaper over here you could just import one (unfortunately, I think they're about the same price).
How did you configure the analogics? In the PS4 i can't use my dash and i don't know why.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
How did you configure the analogics? In the PS4 i can't use my dash and i don't know why.
I made the radii 100 and the deadzones 10 on both sticks. If you can't dash, I'd guess that your radii aren't set to the standard settings (or the program trying to read the PS4 controller's input is messing something up).

Last edited:

Bluuee

Smash Rookie
Thanks, man! I'll test that, but i think it will work well now.

And i have another question (man, i'm feelling such a noob...). In the Tier List of Melee, what's it the characters that is really worth to play in a competitive game? SS, S, A and B?

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Thanks, man! I'll test that, but i think it will work well now.

And i have another question (man, i'm feelling such a noob...). In the Tier List of Melee, what's it the characters that is really worth to play in a competitive game? SS, S, A and B?
That's up to debate, and at what level you're talking about. If you're talking about winning an national, some people think that it's SS, S, and A, but some others think it's SS, S, A, and B, (and a significantly smaller group of people also believe in C). If you're talking about winning a regional, I'd say that SS, S, A, and B are definitely strong contenders, and C is possible if the player is good enough. For a local level, I'd say that anyone up to Ganon is up for grabs (except maybe Yoshi because of how hard he is to play), but that's just my opinion. With that said, playing anyone below Peach will give you at least one really bad MU, and playing anyone below Luigi will give you a toolset that feels fairly restrictive and will put you at a signifigant disadvantage in comparison to top tiers. Also, don't feel like a noob for asking questions; that's the whole point of going on forums.

Archangelmoon

Smash Rookie
Q: Why don't more people grab others shields? I see a lot of shields in top level play, but they never try to grab the shield; why is shield pressure so much more important than just trying to grab the opponents shield?
I searched for this topic online, but I kept running into shield grabbing, which I already know about.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Q: Why don't more people grab others shields? I see a lot of shields in top level play, but they never try to grab the shield; why is shield pressure so much more important than just trying to grab the opponents shield?
I searched for this topic online, but I kept running into shield grabbing, which I already know about.
There's many reasons:
- Grab feels too risky (if it gets spotdodged, you can usually be punished quite hard)
- Grab doesn't yield a good enough punish (especially true for Falco who has awful throws)
- Shield pressure is often the only thing conditioning them to shield your approaches in the first place (if you never attack, they have no reason to shield in fear)

With all this in mind, I think there is a tendency for a lot of players, even at mid level, to do unnecessary pressure when a grab was very likely to work out better.

artifice

Smash Ace
There's many reasons:
- Grab feels too risky (if it gets spotdodged, you can usually be punished quite hard)
- Grab doesn't yield a good enough punish (especially true for Falco who has awful throws)
- Shield pressure is often the only thing conditioning them to shield your approaches in the first place (if you never attack, they have no reason to shield in fear)

With all this in mind, I think there is a tendency for a lot of players, even at mid level, to do unnecessary pressure when a grab was very likely to work out better.

Interesting, dynamic and DEVASTATING consequences out of grabs is one of melee’s strong points and the punishes really only gets worse for getting grabbed the better your opponent is. Moreover the better the players are the harder it is to actually succeed in gaining from shield pressure.

I don’t actually agree with the premise that better players do not grab shields as much – Although some match-ups have develop into that scenario, most others are played with shielding as less as possible for fear of being grabbed. Just depends on who you’re watching really.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Interesting, dynamic and DEVASTATING consequences out of grabs is one of melee’s strong points and the punishes really only gets worse for getting grabbed the better your opponent is. Moreover the better the players are the harder it is to actually succeed in gaining from shield pressure.

I don’t actually agree with the premise that better players do not grab shields as much – Although some match-ups have develop into that scenario, most others are played with shielding as less as possible for fear of being grabbed. Just depends on who you’re watching really.
I definitely think top players grab more often, but in the situations when they decide not to, I think the reasons I listed are the main ones. The threat of the opponent attacking OoS is probably another you could add to that list. Grab punishes in certain matchups are very weak, also depending on the opponent's percentage, but even the strong punishes have to be good enough that the risk-reward for getting the grab vs. being spotdodge punished or having them roll behind you and take stage control is worth it.

Last edited:

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone familiar with the exact mechanics behind buffering a get-up attack from a missed tech? I heard on an old thread that it's possible that inputs from the hitlag of being hit can carry over to cause this to happen, but I am not sure.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
What are my options out of a shield drop? Asking for both scenarios in which my opponent may or may not hit my shield.
Any option you would normally have while airborne (double jump, aerial, fast fall, etc). If you have been hit and can shield drop and counter attack the opponent with an aerial while they are still in lag that's fantastic, although you won't always be able to do so especially if your character has small aerial hitboxes (much easier to hit with Marth's up air than Fox's for example).

If you haven't been hit, shield drops are still great. For one, if you are stuck shielding on a platform you can shield drop to get out of there instead of jumping or wavedashing, although that one will gets telegraphed pretty easily. The great thing about shield dropping is you can do it out of a dash and it is faster than a normal drop through the platform. So, if you are on the top platform and trying to come down you can repeatedly dash dance, drop, and double jump back if it isn't safe until you can properly bait your opponent and find a safe way back to the ground.

Those are just a few kinda jumbled ideas of how you can use shield dropping, hope some of it made sense

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
Q: why was Zelda ranked 6-8th in melee back in 2002? Any explaination is nice
There was a problem fetching the tweet

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Q: why was Zelda ranked 6-8th in melee back in 2002? Any explaination is nice
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I think the idea was that players could switch to Sheik while fighting. They weren't considered as two completely separate characters until later.

Archangelmoon

Smash Rookie
How can I practice short hops? I can short hop normally, but when I put it into practice against someone I always end up doing a full hop.

{Lemons}

Smash Rookie
How can I practice short hops? I can short hop normally, but when I put it into practice against someone I always end up doing a full hop.
Being able to pull off tech fine solo but not against other players is something everybody struggles with. Unfortunately there is no real alternative to just practicing and playing more. You will find that overtime this problem will diminish. In short don't worry too much about it, keep practicing and playing and you will be fine.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Uhh, so I don't really know where to ask this, so maybe here is fine.

I am using Dolphin and trying to control P1 with a controller and control P2-4 with the TAS inputs. When I launch my iso the TAS input panels start flashing, the game runs really slow for about 5 seconds, and then Dolphin crashes. If I configure all the controllers to be "Standard Controller" then this doesn't happen, but if one of them is not "Standard Controller" then Dolphin crashes.

Does anyone know a way to control some players with a controller and other players with TAS input?

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
So I'm finally going to get into this game. I have all this knowledge of it, but no skill. So my question is this where do I start? Like I'm going to start maining Falco, but I don't know where to start. To start on shining or like wave dashing? I'm really lost.

{Lemons}

Smash Rookie
So I'm finally going to get into this game. I have all this knowledge of it, but no skill. So my question is this where do I start? Like I'm going to start maining Falco, but I don't know where to start. To start on shining or like wave dashing? I'm really lost.
First advanced technique I learned was L cancelling, then wavedashing. Learning both of those is a good place to start.

Sycorax

Smash Ace
Go to MeleeLibrary.com. There is a beginner section.

SCOAKS5

Smash Cadet
NNID
Littecoaks
3DS FC
0834-3506-2629
Does anyone have a safe link to a Melee ROM? I've tried it before and have gotten viruses and stuff so can anyone link me a trusted source?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Does anyone have a safe link to a Melee ROM? I've tried it before and have gotten viruses and stuff so can anyone link me a trusted source?
We can't share pirated stuff on the boards. If you want to be safe I'm fairly certain there are ways to rip the iso from your Melee disc

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
So what is going on with how moves stale?

I've noticed some weirdness with certain moves, mostly multi hit moves.

For instance Yoshi's Bair only reduces from 20 to 13 fully staled when all 4 hits connect, Ness's Fair goes from 15 down to 9-10 all 4 hits when fully staled, Samus's Fair, etc. And some normal single hit moves will fully half in damage whole others go down to 55%-60%.

Does this have to do with integers and rounding in the coding?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
This page explains the basics of staling. For single hits, the minimum staling coefficient is 0,55. However with multihits like Yoshi's bair you mentioned, the first hit already puts the move on top of the staling queue, so the rest of the hits are staled even if the move was fresh in the beginning. That's why the difference in damage between max staled multihit move vs fresh in the beginning is smaller than with single hits. Note that hitting multiple times with a move still only stales the move once, so with multihit move, hits beyond first won't add to the stale queue anymore.

Also, while the decimal part of damage isn't displayed, the damage is still saved and added as float. Pre-hit damage will be floored in a lot of cases before use though, for example when calculating knockback.

Last edited:

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
What are some good hand exercises for Melee I main fox and I'm wondering what are some good hand exercises for Melee. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

KING OF THE DIRTY DANS

Smash Rookie
Hello, Im in a huge bind
Im hosting a Melee party a day and a half from now, but i forgot I need to unlock most of the stages, Mr. game and watch, and pichu. Im going through the events, but I cant beat event 34 no mater how i try, is there a extremely quick alternate method to unlock all stages and characters in melee?

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
What is the best way to do running shine? What inputs should I use to pull it off consistently?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
So basically just press down b while in dash?
No in dash it's very different.

Dashing is initiated when you smash the stick in either direction, and your dash needs to finish before you can run. If you can smash the other direction and get a dash out you are still in your dash animation (or you let the stick go back to neutral), but if you get a slow turnaround you are in run. You can crouch out of run, so you can just press down and b at the same time to shine immediately. You cannot crouch out of dash, so you have to jump and then shine on the first airborne frame (called a JC shine) if you want to shine and remain "grounded."

Which one did you mean?

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
No in dash it's very different.

Dashing is initiated when you smash the stick in either direction, and your dash needs to finish before you can run. If you can smash the other direction and get a dash out you are still in your dash animation (or you let the stick go back to neutral), but if you get a slow turnaround you are in run. You can crouch out of run, so you can just press down and b at the same time to shine immediately. You cannot crouch out of dash, so you have to jump and then shine on the first airborne frame (called a JC shine) if you want to shine and remain "grounded."

Which one did you mean?
I'm talking about running shine man like dash shine wavedash.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I'm talking about running shine man like dash shine wavedash.
I'm still a bit confused because running shine and dash shine are two different things.

To dash shine you jump out of your dash and then shine on the first airborne frame (frame 4?). You will appear to be on the ground but you're actually in the air so you need to wait an additional 4-5ish frames before you are on the ground and can act out of it. As far as tips for how to perform this, I think some people slide their thumb from y to b. Personally I claw so I just time the inputs. It's the same thing as multishining past the first shine

If you are in the run animation, just press down b.

Last edited:

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
My bad man I don't mean to confuse you lol. But i heard running shine is a good mixup in neutral I was just wondering. How do you do running shine?

CloudsAshes

Smash Rookie
Hello all, I'm new to the boards and pretty much want to get involved in the community. I've been playing smash ever since the original was released and have had a passion for it all the way through. I've moved around alot through my life but have always been able to find a group of friends who shared love for the series so I always had people to play with, which is great. I entered a couple local tournaments back when I was a kid and had loads of fun meeting new people, learning different things watching people who were better than me, winning and losing matches just the whole package seemed wonderful to me. I'm posting because I would like to get more involved in the community, but I live in upstate NY and I can't really seem to find any get togethers/tourney's in my area, the closest I can seem to get is in the city which is a good 3 hour car ride from where I am. I did search the upcoming tournaments but kind of got overwhelmed since there seems to be so many just not too much going on in my area; at least at this time. I did find some in the archives that were relatively close to me and got excited, then read the date and they'd be from around 2014. So really my question is how can I find events in my area to participate in? I understand that it's not necessarily going to happen as often in a rural area as opposed to an urban area, but where I live(Oneonta NY) is technically a city with two colleges so I would have thought this would already be going on, but if there is I've been unable to find anything lol. I'd like to attend an event as soon as I can so I can start making friends and playing with new people, but I'm sort of limited as to how far out I can travel. If anyone has any help or tips for me I would of course appreciate it, I deff plan on sticking around here and am willing to help out however I can to better the community! Thanks in advance!

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hello all, I'm new to the boards and pretty much want to get involved in the community. I've been playing smash ever since the original was released and have had a passion for it all the way through. I've moved around alot through my life but have always been able to find a group of friends who shared love for the series so I always had people to play with, which is great. I entered a couple local tournaments back when I was a kid and had loads of fun meeting new people, learning different things watching people who were better than me, winning and losing matches just the whole package seemed wonderful to me. I'm posting because I would like to get more involved in the community, but I live in upstate NY and I can't really seem to find any get togethers/tourney's in my area, the closest I can seem to get is in the city which is a good 3 hour car ride from where I am. I did search the upcoming tournaments but kind of got overwhelmed since there seems to be so many just not too much going on in my area; at least at this time. I did find some in the archives that were relatively close to me and got excited, then read the date and they'd be from around 2014. So really my question is how can I find events in my area to participate in? I understand that it's not necessarily going to happen as often in a rural area as opposed to an urban area, but where I live(Oneonta NY) is technically a city with two colleges so I would have thought this would already be going on, but if there is I've been unable to find anything lol. I'd like to attend an event as soon as I can so I can start making friends and playing with new people, but I'm sort of limited as to how far out I can travel. If anyone has any help or tips for me I would of course appreciate it, I deff plan on sticking around here and am willing to help out however I can to better the community! Thanks in advance!
Most tournaments are only posted on Facebook. Scroll down through this list to the New York section and join the few that are closest to you: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/wiki/facebook

It doesn't seem like you're in a major area, but you're between quite a few groups so I'd be surprised if there wasn't anyone nearby. Not sure where exactly "upstate" is considered to be, but there's a group called Upstate so that seems promising. There also tends to be more underground, low-key Smash groups at every college, so definitely search around for players at the two colleges near you.

Last edited:

Lucky13the2nd

Smash Cadet
NNID
josiahs13
Greetings all, a noob here.

So since I'm new to the competitive community idea, I'll probably have a handful of questions to ensure I'm starting in the right direction. First, some personal info: I'm a high schooler in Colorado with only two (sometimes three) days a week to practice and a life relatively full otherwise. The Colorado bit means no easily accessible tournaments. And I can't say my parents are exactly siked about my passion. Any tips on how to maximize practice time usage? And one other thing: When just starting out, just how important is it to have a CRT? I'll eventually have one and as a matter of fact we have one in our garage, but my parents don't want me using it.

Top Bottom