• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Bounce N Back

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately, I have not had the experience of going to a tourney (I know It's good experience, I'll get to it. I just want movement to be more fluent in friendlies before i feel comfortable enough to go.) That being said, I was just curious as to how character selection works in tournaments. I know that if one person beats someone else in the first round of a best of three, loser is allowed to change characters to counter the other persons main.

But, lets say I play for example Marth Falcon, and my opponent plays fox sheik. I feel really comfortable with Falcon except for against Fox/Falco, So as he picks fox I pick marth. But as I pick marth, he switches to sheik so I go back to falcon, and the cycle keeps going before we even play our first game in the series. How is this situation resolved in a best of 3 or a best of 5? Do you have to enter every first round with a main you sign up with? Or does it come down to something like Rock Paper Scizzors? If anyone could let me know, That'd be great! :]

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Unfortunately, I have not had the experience of going to a tourney (I know It's good experience, I'll get to it. I just want movement to be more fluent in friendlies before i feel comfortable enough to go.) That being said, I was just curious as to how character selection works in tournaments. I know that if one person beats someone else in the first round of a best of three, loser is allowed to change characters to counter the other persons main.

But, lets say I play for example Marth Falcon, and my opponent plays fox sheik. I feel really comfortable with Falcon except for against Fox/Falco, So as he picks fox I pick marth. But as I pick marth, he switches to sheik so I go back to falcon, and the cycle keeps going before we even play our first game in the series. How is this situation resolved in a best of 3 or a best of 5? Do you have to enter every first round with a main you sign up with? Or does it come down to something like Rock Paper Scizzors? If anyone could let me know, That'd be great! :]
If that situation arises, you call for a double blind. You each tell a third party (preferably a TO) what your starting character is and the third person will reveal the character selections. You can select Falcon in a double blind, but your opponent may expect you to use him and go Sheik or might be comfortable enough with Sheik that he would rather be safe. It's a really dumb system, but it's the widespread standard.

Mc Phillis

Smash Rookie
I've seen on some thread that to prevent lightshielding, you can hold the shoulder button while plugging your controller.
I'm playing on my 20xx wii and it doesn't work, no matter what I do while plugging it, it remains normal.
Is it possible to do it on 20xx?

Bounce N Back

Smash Rookie
If that situation arises, you call for a double blind. You each tell a third party (preferably a TO) what your starting character is and the third person will reveal the character selections. You can select Falcon in a double blind, but your opponent may expect you to use him and go Sheik or might be comfortable enough with Sheik that he would rather be safe. It's a really dumb system, but it's the widespread standard.
Honestly, that seems better to me though then RPS or entering with a character. May not be the best system, but I prefer that over what I thought it'd be like. Thanks for the reply!

DerpyDayha

Smash Cadet
Is it normal for a teenager to pop into a tournament to just watch for a while? I think it could be a good learning experience for me and I want to know if people would think that's cool. Most of the people there would probably be in university and I'm 13.

Oort

Smash Cadet
I've been learning melee ganondorf and I really want to learn how to perfect-waveland (totally horizontal dodge) from the get go. I can do it on platforms about 2/3rds of the time and that's all good and well, but when it comes to just wavelanding on flat ground I have an extremely low success rate.
Is it just a matter of attempting it over and over again, or is there some better way to practice? Is it just going to take a while to be able to do them consistently? It would be generous to say I make 1 in 20 attempts right now.

Jackson

Smash Lord
I've been learning melee ganondorf and I really want to learn how to perfect-waveland (totally horizontal dodge) from the get go. I can do it on platforms about 2/3rds of the time and that's all good and well, but when it comes to just wavelanding on flat ground I have an extremely low success rate.
Is it just a matter of attempting it over and over again, or is there some better way to practice? Is it just going to take a while to be able to do them consistently? It would be generous to say I make 1 in 20 attempts right now.
I'm the exact same as you. I'd also like to hear about this from someone with experience.

Kadano

Magical Express
I'm the exact same as you. I'd also like to hear about this from someone with experience.
It’s a 1 frame window, both for fastfall and normal fall. I never practiced it and can do it at least every second attempt even on Dolphin, so I guess you just need more experience with these kinds of timings.

I really wish I had a bigger penis. I'm feeling quite ****ty about this. What can I do?
Stop playing Yoshi.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Honestly, that seems better to me though then RPS or entering with a character. May not be the best system, but I prefer that over what I thought it'd be like. Thanks for the reply!
The best method is to alternate characters until someone agrees to a proposed matchup and only double blind if you both end up countering characters in a cycle. It's described better in my ruleset if you want to read about it (sig). But yeah, it is at least better than RPS.

Is it normal for a teenager to pop into a tournament to just watch for a while? I think it could be a good learning experience for me and I want to know if people would think that's cool. Most of the people there would probably be in university and I'm 13.
That's perfectly normal. If someone asks what you're doing, just say you're spectating. More and more people are getting into watching e-sports without necessarily playing. You can also just bring a controller and ask to join in. I'm sure no one will mind.

DerpyDayha

Smash Cadet
That's perfectly normal. If someone asks what you're doing, just say you're spectating. More and more people are getting into watching e-sports without necessarily playing. You can also just bring a controller and ask to join in. I'm sure no one will mind.
K thx, I think I'll participate too, just for the learning. I'll get demolished but it'll be good to feel what it's like to play a pro. I might do some friendlies as well.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
One of the most confusing things that happens, and makes me wish I had recording equipment for the hours of friendlies I do each week, is when I slide off the edge w/out realizing it and air dodge instead of shielding.
This happens sometimes when I tech something big. What is going on in the game that makes you slide off when you tech on the ground?
This also happens sometimes from pushback. I play both PM and melee, and I've heard that the PMDT was unable to completely overwrite Brawl pushback to melee pushback. What exactly is going on that makes that difference?
Another PM oddity I've wondered about is the 1 frame delay, which I have only ever heard as hearsay. I would be interested in what exactly about the system makes it hard to fix.

EDIT: I am actually really interested in pushback. I think I remember reading somewhere that stronger moves have less pushback (or maybe it was vice-versa, I don't remember). Is there a good resource for info on pushback? I can't find it on ssbwiki.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
Just a question on wavelands. Say I'm on Yoshi's Story, and I want to waveland on one of the bottom platforms. Would it be faster to do one full hop and then waveland, or fullhop, then double jump under the platform waveland? just want to know if one might be more efficient than the other.

Moy

Where's the coffee cake?
Slippi.gg
MOY#56
Just a question on wavelands. Say I'm on Yoshi's Story, and I want to waveland on one of the bottom platforms. Would it be faster to do one full hop and then waveland, or fullhop, then double jump under the platform waveland? just want to know if one might be more efficient than the other.
In tournament, you're always going to want to only jump once - if you get hit as you're double jumping, you're in a bad spot no matter what character you play. I'm not sure what character you're talking about specifically, but I think the whole cast can get to Yoshi's bottom platforms in one jump. Depending on jump height, it might even be stricter timing to get a perfect waveland after a double jump.

So to answer your question, one full hop should be best in almost every scenario.

AirFair

Marth tho
Thanks man. I didn't really specify but I was talking about Marth. For Falco, I would probably do the same anyway, unless its out of shine of course.

Kadano

Magical Express
Full jump is faster for Marth because his ECB adapts to aerial extension faster this way.

Kadano

Magical Express
How about Falco?
Full jump is faster for Falco as well. (1 frame difference to mid-air jump before waveland)

How frequently does the game read inputs ? Every frame or more than that ?
I believe I remember Magus saying that the Gamecube polls three times per frame, and this is in line with my Dolphin poll rate tests—setting the controllers to poll once per frame makes dash-dancing feel horrible, while setting them to thee times per frame makes it feel just like on a Gamecube.

Boardwalk

Smash Cadet
does wiggling out of the tumble animation actually reduce the amount of hitstun you experience?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Full jump is faster for Falco as well. (1 frame difference to mid-air jump before waveland)

I believe I remember Magus saying that the Gamecube polls three times per frame, and this is in line with my Dolphin poll rate tests—setting the controllers to poll once per frame makes dash-dancing feel horrible, while setting them to thee times per frame makes it feel just like on a Gamecube.
How does polling multiple times per frame make a difference? Won't the last polling in the previous frame always be consider the input regardless of what the earlier polls in the same frame were?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
How does polling multiple times per frame make a difference? Won't the last polling in the previous frame always be consider the input regardless of what the earlier polls in the same frame were?
Maybe it uses all the analog values polled and uses a median vector of them or something similar? It certainly could, I don't know though. The additional information could also be used to determine what qualifies as smash input etc.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Full jump is faster for Falco as well. (1 frame difference to mid-air jump before waveland)]
Ok, so Falco's full hop makes for a faster waveland onto low platforms. How about the top platform on Battlefield? Is double jump faster in that case?

Last edited:

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so Falco's full hop makes for a faster waveland onto low platforms. How about the top platform on Battlefield? Is double jump faster in that case?
Falco's full jump does a Lagless-Landing on the top platform of Battlefield, so you skip even the normal 4ish (unless your character is fat) frames of hard landing lag.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Oh, right. I guess there's not that much of a reason to waveland normally on it then.
I don't know how it relates to, say, jumping at an angle or jumping from a side platform. I don't know which is the fastest, but really (especially as Falco), you probly don't want to use your DJ coz if you get hit off, you're dead.

Lu10itfury

Smash Rookie
Salut! Je mappelle BunBun. J'aime Melee.

This was a good idea. This'll be better for Melee newbies to introduce themselves in than the intro forum. I don't think anyone goes there...
I am new to smash boards marth advice please help my Mario!

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
I am new to smash boards marth advice please help my Mario!
I dunno much about mario except that Mango (as Scorpionmaster) is the only good mario I've ever watched.
About fighting marth, his weakness is that after he swings his sword, he is really vulnerable. So you need to bait him to swing his sword. You also want to get him above you, b/c he struggles to cover below him.
Also, watch this video. At some point, m2k talks about how to edgeguard marth, but the rest of the video is really important for everyone.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Why, when I press Z, do I keep shielding instead of grabbing like I want to?
Z is basically attack + lightshield input. So if you are in lag and can't grab, you will shield when the lag ends if you still hold z. Also if you hold a and then press z, you'll only shield.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Also, some throws are dependent on your opp's weight, so that may trip up your timing.

EDIT: Here is a frame data collection of the effect of your target's weight on the endlag of your throw. Heavier characters take longer (your own character has to go thru a little animation to represent the extra effort, similar to how above 100% your character is too tired to quickly pull themselves up off the ledge). But the hitstun starts wearing off right away, so you have less frame advantage from throwing heavier characters.

Last edited:

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
How do people tilt their shield so quickly?, like I can't do it without taking like 5 seconds.
I don't have a link, but I think somewhere in Kadano's Perfect Marth Class he talks about how long shield tilts take in different circumstances (powershielding, etc).

tauKhan

Smash Lord
The easier "optimal" moonwalk is done by moving stick to opposite downward diagonal notch for frame 2 of dash, and moving to full input after. The dead zone or "center" doesn't matter at all(okay it does a little), what matters is that you want to have fast horizontal movement on stick, but not so fast so far left/right, that a smash turn triggers. The notches happen to be close to the border of turn, so using them makes sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom