• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Well, ZSS does have better recovery then a few more characters that Olimar...

I think Sonic has more potential then Ganon, with Sonic at most getting mid, and maybe Ganon upper half of low.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
I seriously want to see someone logically debate sonic with shadowlink instead of him having to waste like 50 pages of this thread saying the same thing over and over again.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
I'm not saying Olimar is BAD, hell, Icekid is my friend, solid Olimar main, WON Hard Knocks with Olimar only, but it's tough watching Icekid struggle now because Olimar isn't as crazy as he was when the game first came out. He blew minds then, but now people are starting to figure him out, and the novelty of it is wearing off.

Also, as for the Sonic/Link/Ganon/Falcon argument, sigh, lemmie stretch mah fingers:

While Sonic is an extremely fast character, his speed can only get him so far. ALTHOUGH, I must point out, that a SMART PLAYER will be able to take many lesser characters further than any other person who just feels like playing them will go-- this is important for my later argument. However, Sonic's easily gimped upB and lack of kill moves is a problem for him. He can rack up damage quickly (assuming the person playing is smart), but the inability to kill will always be a problem. I have never played a Sonic where I haven't been able to punish nearly everything he does. Sonic's all about rolling; anyone who knows how to punish a scrub player that rolls a lot, should be able to play a Sonic, no problem. He's out prioritized a lot of the time, and I have yet to see anyone have a problem with a Sonic player that went further than "he is really, really, annoying to fight against." However, annoyance doesn't win matches, unless you make them furious to the point that they can't even play anymore. Also, possible.

Link, is bad. Projectiles are great and all, but from my experience playing against them, we can either 1) play the projectile game all day because hey, mine is better, or 2) you can approach me and we can play the close encounter game, in which case, my EVERYTHING is better.

Ganon, oh Ganon...this argument is going to be hard to explain unless anyone here plays a 2D fighter like Guilty Gear, but I'll go for it anyways. Ganon has potential solely due to the fact that he has numerous moves that cause knock down. In any other fighter, knock down is extremely important, and it's no different for smash. Knock down gives you tons and tons of options, especially if you can react quickly. Snake's best throw by far, is his down throw. Why? Because it just lays you down and gives the Snake player plenty of options, while you have very little. Afro Thundah uses it constantly, and all he has the option of 1) predicting which way you're going to roll, and punishing, 2) shielding your get up attack and punishing, 3) watching you get up and not do anything, and punishing, and 4) merely watching which way you end up rolling, and just turn and punish immediately. To be honest, I don't even know if Afro himself understands how incredible it is, but he keeps doing it, so more power to him.

Anyways, Ganon lacks a lot of things, yes, but he also gains a lot by being given so many moves that cause knock down. Have I seen any Ganon players that absolutely solidify this opinion of mine? No. It's merely something myself and a friend were brainstorming. Potential is nothing until it's tapped. Until then, Ganon will remain low/bottom (whichever he is) tier.

Falcon, is a bit more of a stretch than Ganon. However, for the Falcon argument, I HAVE seen solidifying evidence of my argument. Let's say I have a friend and his name is Sighrax, now let's say he used to main Falcon in Melee...very well, might I add. Yes, Falcon is nerfed, etc etc, however, Sighrax has been playing Falcon in Brawl anyways. This is a character that you have to be smart to play. No Meta Knight mindless neutral B for this one, you have to be paying attention, and you have to be quick. A non-terrible Falcon is all about prediction and mind games. I've watched tons of people get mind gamed the **** out of by Sighrax's Falcon in Brawl, and just get up saying "what the hell, Falcon is BAD", right, well, maybe if the player just wants to mindlessly spam random moves all of the time. I just think he's a character that will take a LOT more toning and getting used to than other characters. Do I think a Falcon is going to be placing in any tournaments anytime soon? Absolutely not, but I don't think it's as impossible as everyone thinks for a decent Falcon to appear in the scene.

OPINION. ALL OPINION.

inB4"YOU'RE WRONG"

payasofobia

Smash Champion
Every character has potential, but the way the players use this potential is what makes said character good or bad.

EDIT: Zook, this was a response to a fellow poster. It isn't meant to argue that tiers dun exits or anything. BUT, i forgot to quote. :dizzy:

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
Every character has potential, but the way the players use this potential is what makes said character good or bad.
To add on to that...

Every character has potential, but it's only useful if you players find and utilize it.

kind of observed this with the Yoshi mainers, sorry, but when your character is widely regarded as bottom tier, the players work harder to find that AT that makes the character better.

Griffard

Smash Ace
I'm not saying Olimar is BAD, hell, Icekid is my friend, solid Olimar main, WON Hard Knocks with Olimar only, but it's tough watching Icekid struggle now because Olimar isn't as crazy as he was when the game first came out. He blew minds then, but now people are starting to figure him out, and the novelty of it is wearing off.

Also, as for the Sonic/Link/Ganon/Falcon argument, sigh, lemmie stretch mah fingers:

While Sonic is an extremely fast character, his speed can only get him so far. ALTHOUGH, I must point out, that a SMART PLAYER will be able to take many lesser characters further than any other person who just feels like playing them will go-- this is important for my later argument. However, Sonic's easily gimped upB and lack of kill moves is a problem for him. He can rack up damage quickly (assuming the person playing is smart), but the inability to kill will always be a problem. I have never played a Sonic where I haven't been able to punish nearly everything he does. Sonic's all about rolling; anyone who knows how to punish a scrub player that rolls a lot, should be able to play a Sonic, no problem. He's out prioritized a lot of the time, and I have yet to see anyone have a problem with a Sonic player that went further than "he is really, really, annoying to fight against." However, annoyance doesn't win matches, unless you make them furious to the point that they can't even play anymore. Also, possible.

Link, is bad. Projectiles are great and all, but from my experience playing against them, we can either 1) play the projectile game all day because hey, mine is better, or 2) you can approach me and we can play the close encounter game, in which case, my EVERYTHING is better.

Ganon, oh Ganon...this argument is going to be hard to explain unless anyone here plays a 2D fighter like Guilty Gear, but I'll go for it anyways. Ganon has potential solely due to the fact that he has numerous moves that cause knock down. In any other fighter, knock down is extremely important, and it's no different for smash. Knock down gives you tons and tons of options, especially if you can react quickly. Snake's best throw by far, is his down throw. Why? Because it just lays you down and gives the Snake player plenty of options, while you have very little. Afro Thundah uses it constantly, and all he has the option of 1) predicting which way you're going to roll, and punishing, 2) shielding your get up attack and punishing, 3) watching you get up and not do anything, and punishing, and 4) merely watching which way you end up rolling, and just turn and punish immediately. To be honest, I don't even know if Afro himself understands how incredible it is, but he keeps doing it, so more power to him.

Anyways, Ganon lacks a lot of things, yes, but he also gains a lot by being given so many moves that cause knock down. Have I seen any Ganon players that absolutely solidify this opinion of mine? No. It's merely something myself and a friend were brainstorming. Potential is nothing until it's tapped. Until then, Ganon will remain low/bottom (whichever he is) tier.

Falcon, is a bit more of a stretch than Ganon. However, for the Falcon argument, I HAVE seen solidifying evidence of my argument. Let's say I have a friend and his name is Sighrax, now let's say he used to main Falcon in Melee...very well, might I add. Yes, Falcon is nerfed, etc etc, however, Sighrax has been playing Falcon in Brawl anyways. This is a character that you have to be smart to play. No Meta Knight mindless neutral B for this one, you have to be paying attention, and you have to be quick. A non-terrible Falcon is all about prediction and mind games. I've watched tons of people get mind gamed the **** out of by Sighrax's Falcon in Brawl, and just get up saying "what the hell, Falcon is BAD", right, well, maybe if the player just wants to mindlessly spam random moves all of the time. I just think he's a character that will take a LOT more toning and getting used to than other characters. Do I think a Falcon is going to be placing in any tournaments anytime soon? Absolutely not, but I don't think it's as impossible as everyone thinks for a decent Falcon to appear in the scene.

OPINION. ALL OPINION.

inB4"YOU'RE WRONG"
i definitely agree with all or most of your opinions, i would add that the great ganons generally beat out the good everything elses. there are a lot of tricks and mindgames that add a lot to his game. plus, not defending link at all, i think he's pretty cruddy overall, but if you check out the link forums like i did yesterday, he DOES have a LOT of ATs that make him stronger and unpredictable

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
You know its not often but I actually get excited during debates.
*cackles evily and slaps his hands together* LET US BEGIN THE DEBATE!

Okay I'll stop that now.

Of course however despite this Olimar has shown himself to be a strong contender., not many characters can approach him safely and not ,many can keep him off the edge very easily.
The few that do tend to be his worst matchups liek ROB, MK or towards the nuetral end like Sonic, Wolf and so on and so forth.
While Olimar surely isn't as pwnsome as he appeared when we first obtained the game, what has been found for Olimar has pushed towards Olimar being on the high tier list.
Simply because not many characters have the tools to get close and even if they do. Olimar can fend them off. He can ack up damage very quickly as well.
However, Sonic's easily gimped upB and lack of kill moves is a problem for him.
Wait what?
Are you serious?
Easily gimped ^B?
So someone who has dodge frames?
Can increase the horizontal distance on his recovery is easily gimped?
Not to mention the fact he has spinshotting and his homing attack to increase his distance?
My friend we must play since I really want to see you try to gimp my Sonic. Hell I want you to try it with Ike if its so easily gimpable.

He can rack up damage quickly (assuming the person playing is smart), but the inability to kill will always be a problem.
Look at MK.
Lack of killing moves but he still gets them due to being able to rack up damage.
Sonic is capable of racking up damage and with his many cancels he can force an opponent to make a mistake, and stutter step an Fsmash and kill them.
Not to mention the setups he has from his springs and other moves for early Uair kills.
Even when he doens't go for a Uair kill getting Baired at such a height either means you're dead, or you are stuck in the air where Sonic has the advantage.

I have never played a Sonic where I haven't been able to punish nearly everything he does.
Wait what?
Sonic is actually very hard to punish because while he does have some moves thata re below average in speed, his other moves are quite safe or stay out too long or simply take him too far away. Or simply put because he can cancel **** near everything he uses while approaching so you cannot punish something that hasn't occurred.
In fact trying to do so gets you a nice 20% for your error.

Sonic's all about rolling; anyone who knows how to punish a scrub player that rolls a lot, should be able to play a Sonic, no problem.
So basically you're saying that when the Sonic user is a scrub, you'll be able to punish him.

Sonic is not about rolling at all.

His whole game is actually about canceling.

ASC~shield cancel~grab
Dash~sideB cancel~ grab>~~~ you can pivot this one so if you want you can overshoot past your opponent, turn around and grab them without sliding at all.
ASC~Footstool.~aerial. I like this one alot. Basically if your opponent shields they get their shield gets eaten and if they try to rol away you can continue the spincharge and hit them or if they spotdodge they get hit or if they get hit you Uair them.

Dash~hyphen smash
Dash~shield grab (slides a good amount and increases grab range.
Dash~Dodge
Dash~roll dodge

Lots of feinting

springs~Dair (canceled)
Spring ~Dair (non canceled)
Spring~ nothing
Spring~edge

He's out prioritized a lot of the time,
Usmash is not overprioritized much due to disjointed hitboxes.
Fair has good priority.
Bair breaks a flying Kong when spaced.
Uair breaks everyone's Dair except maybe Links.
and I have yet to see anyone have a problem with a Sonic player that went further than "he is really, really, annoying to fight against." However, annoyance doesn't win matches, unless you make them furious to the point that they can't even play anymore. Also, possible.
Really?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6hb4XIYmUHw - Mr. 3000 (Sonic) vs Sethlon (Falco)

Game set.

Play less scrubs.

Woahthat is actually untrue. Link's projectile game is actually pretty good.
Be more specific on whom you are talking about projectile wise please.

Close up yeah Link has issues which is why he strives to remain at mid to Far range. Up close yeah he really cannot do much which is where he has problems the most.

At the very best Link is gonna be low tier.

Ganon, oh Ganon...this argument is going to be hard to explain unless anyone here plays a 2D fighter like Guilty Gear,
I have so do not worry your pretty little head.

Ganon has potential solely due to the fact that he has numerous moves that cause knock down.
In any other fighter, knock down is extremely important, and it's no different for smash. Knock down gives you tons and tons of options, especially if you can react quickly. Snake's best throw by far, is his down throw. Why? Because it just lays you down and gives the Snake player plenty of options, while you have very little. Afro Thundah uses it constantly, and all he has the option of 1) predicting which way you're going to roll, and punishing, 2) shielding your get up attack and punishing, 3) watching you get up and not do anything, and punishing, and 4) merely watching which way you end up rolling, and just turn and punish immediately. To be honest, I don't even know if Afro himself understands how incredible it is, but he keeps doing it, so more power to him.
Sop basically because of the options he has when the opponent is knocked down he has potential?

Guilty Gear this is not.

Let me explain why.
Ganondorf has a poor approach game. He gets camped quite easily, is slow and can be punished on a large amount of his moves. His heavy eight and above average size means its easier to rack up damage on him.

yes he does have a great advantage when the opponent is knocked don but he has little to no methods of doing so. He is forced to approach all the time and has little means of gaining that knock down advantage.

Guilty Gear this is not because in Guilty Gear, you ahve many more options to knock down the opponent.
ganon however can only force a knockdown with his flamechoke and his spikes (which can be teched)

Snake on the other hand baits. The opponent has no choice but to approach him. This is why getting the opponent on the ground for Snake is much more easy for Snake than ganon.
he can do it more easily and thus benefits from it more often.

If Ganon has a method to speed up his approach I would be more inclined to agree with you, but until he has something like L canceling or wavedashing Ganon cannot benefit from knocking down the opponent.
Mainly because the opportunity for a knock down is not going to come up very often.

Except as I stated earlier it is because they do not have the means.
Go and ask the current Ganon mainers.
While Ganon has a good number of moves that can knock the opponent down (most of which can be teched), the opportunity does not come up very often.

One can say yes he has potential, but there is a difference between simply having potential,
and having actual potential.

Yeah Marth can smack Link's projectiles away in melee, but in truth he doesn't. Simply ebcause that potential is unable to be realized due to ho the opponent plays or the inherent disadvantages that occur in trying to realize that potential.

Don't worry I won't say you are wrong.
however I will say anecdotal evidence does not suffice.
That and you are having a really good Falcon play an idiot player. THat does not help your argument.

Especially hen you have many other people whose argument differs with you as well as the results in tournaments.
NOt including the many videos that show why Falcon has a tough time.

He is a good character in theory, but he is a melee character in Brawl.
Which is really not a good mix.

@Griffard: Do not quote wall of texts and then respond with a small paragraph. Its annoying and its stupid.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
All I have to say is...
Sonic upB, to grab, to wiggle out, to tumbles to his death. Bye bye upB!
Also, ya **** right my head is pretty, and I can't help but play scrubs, everyone is absolutely atrocious at this game, but they still think they're amazing. My b. Make them quit.

Also, I just read, yeah, Guilty Gear is probably the only extremely well balanced fighting game there is. ESPECIALLY with this laughable comparison of balance. Oh lawd.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I agree with ShadowLink about Sonic, he most definately does not suck, I should know, I used to main him. I've beaten some of the best, albeit unknown, Snakes, D3s, and even Metas (!) in local tournies with him. I am getting annoyed at how people say Sonic has no kill moves. Do you know his Dsmash AND Fsmash are stronger than Wolf's Dsmash AND they have greater range? Sonic's SSFsmash has more range than Marth's Fsmash.
Let's not forget that his grab game is dangerously close to overpowered (in terms of damage output and combo ability, not CG-ing).
He has one of the best recoveries in the game and his Spring is an awesome attack on the ground and it pretty much ***** the space animals.
The greatest problem about Sonic is his low priority on a couple of key moves and certain attacks come out slowly. Other than that, Sonic is a solid fighter who deserves much more credit than he is getting.

Upper Middle Tier

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
All I have to say is...
Also, ya **** right my head is pretty, and I can't help but play scrubs, everyone is absolutely atrocious at this game, but they still think they're amazing. My b. Make them quit.
LMAO.

<3

Smooth Criminal

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Lobelia speaks the truth.

Why is there a stigma on those who play high and top tier characters?

All I have to say is...
Considering Snake, G&W have the same weakness and yet NO ONE has been capable of doing so sends what you said down to hell.

As I said You are never going to catch a Sonic during his ^B.
he would have to be a scrub
Don't use scrubs as proof of your argument.
Now respond to my wall of text or concede your argument.

@smooth criminal: your name makes me want to dances.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Lobelia speaks the truth.

Why is there a stigma on those who play high and top tier characters?
People(read: idiots) think that because a character is high or top tier, they require no skill, and that low-tier characters require the most skill of all. That's a load of bullcrap. If anyone out there thinks that it requires no skill to play as Fox in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Eddie in Guilty Gear XX, Dhalsim in Super Turbo, or Magneto in Marvel, then those people need to kill themselves.

Browny

Smash Hater
oh god... its back. sonics gimpable upb.

show me a single match, where this has EVER happened. you realise you can also grab dedede out of his upb? id say theres about the same chance of that happeneing in a match as grabbing sonic. trade dededes SA frames on the way up for Sonic invincibility frames, same thing, its never going to happen.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
This thread has been shot straight to hell.
I'm done listening to people say that playing high tier is bad.
*unsubscribes*
High tier is SMART, when you want to win.

The new influx of players... aren't aimed at that for the most part. They want to have the most "fun" possible. Though, a lot of us find fun in drinking tea and kickin' a$$.

The key is ignoring the crap that newer posters add, and getting to genuine good stuff that is on this site. It is there, you just need the filter vision so you don't get frustrated looking for it. ^^

On the topic of tiers to keep this post authentic:

Funny news, MK outranges Marth in almost every aspect. =P

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Snake takes no skill and neither does metaknight. Anyone who uses them is just making up lack of skill with a good character.

Maybe we should get all the pro players to play Yoshi, Ganon, Peach, Samus, Jigglypuff, and captain Falcon then we can see how bad they really are. If you though brawl was boring now wait until you see some Yoshi dittos.

@Shadow, has Mr. 3000 or Lucky won a tournament?

I think longhorn should post his latest tier list. It looks pretty accurate.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
I have seen both Snake's and Sonic's gimped from their upB, in fact, I didn't even know it COULD be done to Sonic's until I saw it happen. So, it certainly can, and does.

Also Eddie requires no skill to play in GG, eh? Your credibility is shot, Lobelia. He's arguably the most intricate and technical character to play at any sort of high level in a 2D fighter EVER. Yours facts, check them.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Snake takes no skill and neither does metaknight. Anyone who uses them is just making up lack of skill with a good character.
I hope to God you're being sarcastic.

*HANDS MONSTAR A FLAME-RETARDANT SUIT.*

Edit:

I have seen both Snake's and Sonic's gimped from their upB, in fact, I didn't even know it COULD be done to Sonic's until I saw it happen. So, it certainly can, and does.

Also Eddie requires no skill to play in GG, eh? Your credibility is shot, Lobelia. He's arguably the most intricate and technical character to play at any sort of high level in a 2D fighter EVER. Yours facts, check them.
Wait for it...

People(read: idiots) think that because a character is high or top tier, they require no skill, and that low-tier characters require the most skill of all. That's a load of bullcrap. If anyone out there thinks that it requires no skill to play as Fox in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Eddie in Guilty Gear XX, Dhalsim in Super Turbo, or Magneto in Marvel, then those people need to kill themselves.
See the underlined text. Your eyes, Gingerr. Check them. She was saying that it DOES take a considerable amount of skill to play those characters.

Smooth Criminal

Adapt

Smash Lord
There should be no stigma for playing high tier characters. Unless you play them badly, then shame on you...

Lets turn this back to tier discussion by posting a tier list to play with

Top: Snake, MK
High: DDD, GaW, Marth, Falco, ROB, Wario
Upper: Lucario, Olimar, DK, Wolf, Pit, ICs, Pikachu, TL, Kirby, Fox
Lower: Diddy, ZSS, Zelda, Luigi, Ness, Sonic, Peach, Sheik, Mario, Lucas
Low: Ike, PT, Bowser, Ganon, Samus, Link
Bottom: Jiggs, Yoshi, CF

this was created 1/2 on tourney rankings, 1/2 on opinion, and 1/2 on discussion in this topic (in that order)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

Funny news, MK outranges Marth in almost every aspect. =P
Yeah, hence the reason why the Marth board now considers MK a 60/40 disadvantage, we discussed it at length.

Granted it's still close, even with that info, the MK boards gave marth the advantage.

Lol, two character boards, each arguing that their character has a disadvantage in the match-up, how often does that happen?

MK, somewhat, he is a pick up and play character....

But Snake, NOW WAY!

Snake is quite a technical character, and a lot of his dominance rests on ATs (think his wonderful dash-canceled upsmash).

Reguardless, if somebody likes his playstyle, why should they not play him?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
There should be no stigma for playing high tier characters. Unless you play them badly, then shame on you...

Lets turn this back to tier discussion by posting a tier list to play with

Top: Snake, MK
High: DDD, GaW, Marth, Falco, ROB, Wario
Upper: Lucario, Olimar, DK, Wolf, Pit, ICs, Pikachu, TL, Kirby, Fox
Lower: Diddy, ZSS, Zelda, Luigi, Ness, Sonic, Peach, Sheik, Mario, Lucas
Low: Ike, PT, Bowser, Ganon, Samus, Link
Bottom: Jiggs, Yoshi, CF

this was created 1/2 on tourney rankings, 1/2 on discussion in this topic, and 1/2 on opinion

I like this list only because it uses the horizontal system that saves space and my eyes. Why the heck don't most people use this effin system? McJebus!

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
@Shadow, has Mr. 3000 or Lucky won a tournament?
Yes. Their's a tournament record in the sonic forums.

Gingerr said:
As I said the only time you will be capable of grabbing sonic is at the peak of his jump.
Thats when he has no invincibility frames.
Good luck getting a Sonic to ^B so that they are right in front of you.
Same with snake, pit and G&W.

Frank;y out you are grasping at straws.
only scrubs get grabbed.
Gingerr said:
>.>

Originally Posted by Lobelia Mk. IV View Post
<.<

LETS DO A KIRBY DANCE!

Gingerr

Smash Lord
But Snake, NOW WAY!

Snake is quite a technical character, and a lot of his dominance rests on ATs (think his wonderful dash-canceled upsmash).

Reguardless, if somebody likes his playstyle, why should they not play him?
I agree. Not to mention most good Snake players rely on his tilts, instead of his smashes, as kill moves. No spamming the c stick for Snake mains! :p

Also, my b. I've been staring at a computer screen all day. I retract all of the rage I was ABOUT to unleash about Eddie taking no skill. Oh lord, it would have been a **** storm.

Adapt

Smash Lord

I like this list only because it uses the horizontal system that saves space and my eyes. Why the heck don't most people use this effin system? McJebus!

I have been trying to get ppl to do that for a while, but you can see how well that has worked :\

So you don't like the order of the list? care to elaborate?

I foresee arguments about the "lower" tier order from a few ppl at least

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
See the underlined text. Your eyes, Gingerr. Check them. She was saying that it DOES take a considerable amount of skill to play those characters.

Smooth Criminal
Thanks, dude.
Yeah, I was saying that Eddie DOES require skill. GG in general is technical as hell, but Eddie...whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. You need three hands.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Testament is far more fun than Eddie. So is Slayer.

And they're both excellent characters too!

We should turn this into GGXX: AC tier discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom