• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Cort

Apple Head
I noticed that using Toad the first time while airborne will give you a slight vertical boost. Is this good for anything at all?
It stalls you in the air. That's as much as it goes for uses of toad. *shrugs*

Cort...
Why must u **** so much??

Yay go cort and his thread!!
I donno. I'm okay.

Go this thread!

Cort, why is Mango such a noob?
If by noob you mean amazing, I concur.

that's so gross
It's true. Analogically.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799

How can I use FC well on Fox? I find it hard at times cause of his speed and at times its bad to be over him.

What made you play Peach and want to become a beast with her?

Cort

Apple Head
You're going to have to go get a little less general with that question. FCing in general is just allowing Peach to be faster with the 4 frame landing lag. There's no real way to use it specifically against certain characters, you know what I mean? FCing into a shield into dsmash is a pretty good strategy. Oh and Fox ***** Peach. <_<;

The rest is just being fluid with Peach around the stage.

I already went over why I started playing Peach in a previous question.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
So does Marth and Shiek. But she does win. Unless its Mew2king, ken *lists goes on* >___<

I decided to Pick up sheik yesterday as a tournament character. For when My Peach has a fight that gets me annoyed. is that good? and what Characters would you recommend I sub Peach with sheik.

Cort

Apple Head
Sheik doesn't **** Peach nearly as hard as Fox and Marth do. The matchup is only slightly in Sheik's favor, I believe.

Sheik is a great character to play in tournaments. She has the most well rounded matchups and does pretty well against basically everyone, and is the only real solid Marth "counter" if you develop with her well enough and have basically no bad habits.

Fox and Marth are also the best tournament characters to play.

I think it's a little late to start picking up a new character, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with them.

Just play whoever you have fun with on competitive levels.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Remember after that lil out burst thread of mine? I started thinking a lot more since then. I love to go Peach in tournaments and make it far with her. Thats what I did at the Zenith. My Peach can get alot of experience like that. So Far at these local tournaments I have not really found a reason to counter pick. Only Beast Players here would be bum, Wes and when he comes at times, PC chris. Though I never got the chance to Play him. The others here wether Marth or shiek, I tend go to even with them. even fox (Put that is freakin hard as hell. Camping ones even worst.)

I tried Marth. I cant cant a good feel of him. And cant execute His combos. fox I just learn the basics. But Im bad at teching and DI so I get beat up pretty bad. Shiek I started yesterday. I was beating my friend with him left and right with shiek. I had a good feel of her and was able to play it smart and good tricks. DI and teching makes me unable to use fox. and Marth for some reason I just cant.

Would useng sheik alot help my Peach improve?

Cort

Apple Head
Cort, can you explain to me how you modify your joystick. Thanks.
Well, first you talk to manacloud. You give him about 80 dollars (depending on how much he likes you) and voila! A modified controller. It let's you float cancel faster and you can double jump forever.

It basically just removes the "clackity" noises, thus allowing you to float cancel faster.

It also has a built in Action Replay which allows you to double jump forever. You have to use this sparingly so people don't notice.

And Dark.Pch, just keep playing the game. That alone makes you better. Playing good people also makes the process go by much faster.

Playing Sheik will not make your Peach that much better cause of the difference in control and ways they're played, aside from general ideas.

I practice random things with many characters pretty frequently, and I save Peach for last usually because I get much more warmed up. That's just me, probably.

Cort

Apple Head
So that you know the matchup very well. You know how to edge guard in all situations. You know what combos will work from a throw given the %.

Bad habits are spot dodging/rolling/jabbing/not mixing up your recovery often enough.

Cort

Apple Head
I've never played Drephen. But I think I do better vs Sheiks than Vidjo does and Vidjo usually beats Drephen <_< But we'd have a good set, I'm not saying anything for sure.

Drephen's style is simple. You don't need to be a flashy idiot in this game to beat people. You use priority and time your attacks effectively, play smart in general, and that's all you need. Drephen knows his stuff.

Cort

Apple Head
I don't really like Brinstar all that much except against space animals. I usually counterpick Brinstar if someone banned Mute City, unless I'm feeling adventurous. Mute City let's you CG easier and has much wider sides/higher ceiling. Edge guarding on that stage is great... it has no edges to guard.

Brinstar is good because it punishes space animals (should they drop in the lava, they're usually eat enough % to get them to like 70-80.) It's fairly hard for Peach to get punished by the lava, and should she get edge hogged, you can always pray that the lava comes back up while you slowly float down.

Jash

Smash Lord
Hey Cort, remember me? Just a quick question, did you sandbag me on our MM at that weekly sir? I still find it hard to believe that i beat you at your fullest, you dun have to answer if you dun want to. I would just like to know. Thanks.

Cort

Apple Head
Ofcourse I remember you.

My only "john" is that I was slightly drunk from vodka on the way to the train station with PC. LOL But I don't think it impaired me in our match really.

We should have some epic rematches soon. I mean, our set was very close.

Cort

Apple Head
Yeah, recorded or not doesn't matter to me.

I guess it should be to teach all the little ylinks how to play the matchup, lol.

brianmercury

Smash Cadet
Here's a question for you about smash in general, but one that could be applied to peach. My friends and i play smash almost religiously and for a while my skill was constantly improving, but i seem to have reached a limit almost, because i havent gotten any better in almost half a year. what should i do to continue improving at this game? if that questions sucks to much heres a slightly different one: whats more important to work on first tech skill, or just intelligent play? I feel like playing with my friends is just dragging me down into bad habbits... hope to see you at the next whatever esticle soon

MacD

Banned via Administration
well, from my personal expierce to answer that, i played my friend and his samus all time out, and he helped me get good to a point, but i just killed him after a while and was diong stupid things thatt would work against him

so if playing the same people for a long time, bad habits can develope, unless you play like someone who always beats you like cort

Cort

Apple Head
Here's a question for you about smash in general, but one that could be applied to peach. My friends and i play smash almost religiously and for a while my skill was constantly improving, but i seem to have reached a limit almost, because i havent gotten any better in almost half a year. what should i do to continue improving at this game? if that questions sucks to much heres a slightly different one: whats more important to work on first tech skill, or just intelligent play? I feel like playing with my friends is just dragging me down into bad habbits... hope to see you at the next whatever esticle soon
There's only so much you can do just playing with your friends. To get good, you need to play everyone, particularly everyone good.

Traveling is also a great way to get better, because playing styles from all around the country just.. makes you better some more?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
It seems now I Have some trouble against Both Links. I cant beat them and win my matches but its just getting close while the run and shoot things at you. I use to have a strategy for it but lost it. do you have one that I can use on them. And now for some reason I find it Hard to beat Link on YS. MY friend played me there 2 times and I lost.( By one stock though)

Cort

Apple Head
It seems now I Have some trouble against Both Links. I cant beat them and win my matches but its just getting close while the run and shoot things at you. I use to have a strategy for it but lost it. do you have one that I can use on them. And now for some reason I find it Hard to beat Link on YS. MY friend played me there 2 times and I lost.( By one stock though)
Well, if you're only losing by 1 stock then you just need to refine whatever strategy you're currently using.

I sort of recently learned you can just slap away boomerangs and bombs with Peach. >.>

I don't really have any solid strategy against them as I rarely ever play them.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Darn it. well ok, i'll try to work on what I have against them both. I'll improve it.

Can I get a recorded match with you when I go to that venue on Nov 10th?

Cort

Apple Head
VLS? I don't know how they're recording matches, probably just the important ones. But if you have your own camera then I don't mind.

Betrayed

Smash Ace
Cort, why don't you play Falcon? All the epic, sexy, awesome and leet people play Falcon. What's Peach got goin for her? Nothin! Well, that Peach... theory of Kens...

Falcons got G-Reg and Isai yo! And the KNEE! AND A SEXY COMBO GAME! AND HE'S FAST AND RIPPED LIKE HELL.

PLAY FALCON?

Cort

Apple Head
I play Falcon.

I'm just not confident with him in tournaments.

Plus he gets destroyed royally off the stage. I can't go from playing Peach (never dies off the stage?) seriously to playing someone that dies the moment he gets off the stage.

It's too weird.

/johns

Betrayed

Smash Ace
No johns Cort. NO JOHNS.

You GET confident. Look at Isai. Look at G-Reg. Look at Darkrain. Look at Silent Spectre. Don't you want to be sexy Cort?

Also, you play PEACH. Falcon ***** Peach in every way imaginable... even a few UNIMAGINABLE.

Note the question: Don't you want to be sexy Cort?

Cort

Apple Head
No johns Cort. NO JOHNS.

You GET confident. Look at Isai. Look at G-Reg. Look at Darkrain. Look at Silent Spectre. Don't you want to be sexy Cort?

Also, you play PEACH. Falcon ***** Peach in every way imaginable... even a few UNIMAGINABLE.

Note the question: Don't you want to be sexy Cort?
Too much work.

Also by playing Peach, you also have one specific character to worry about, and i think you know who im talking about.*Looks at Jashs sig*;)
I don't see Marth in your sig...

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Are there any ways to Practice being technical and Fast with Peach alone at home?

If not what do you recommend for me to improve on this??

Cort

Apple Head
Just practice moving around a stage. Practice randomly djcing, fcing, moving around platforms, nairing quickly through platforms, practice CGing a level 4 Fox (don't ask). Anything to get your fingers moving and becoming more comfortable with Peach.

chef-hado

Smash Cadet
i'm not sure if this is already answered, but i didnt see it in the first eleven pages...hopefully i didnt just miss it
about falcos - how do you over come SHL? i get really annoyed campy falcos and i try to put some pressure on them when they start SHL spamming. but then if i get too close and i get flatfooted they start the pillar. what should i do to avoid/get out of the pillar and should u play more offensively or defensively against falco? i know as long as you can get the falco off you can edgeguard pretty well and easily. it's just the problem of getting the first hit

Cort

Apple Head
Well, the only real use I find for the DJC is running off a platform, then as soon as I fall off of it I double jump and fastfall a bair (drifting back from the direction I just ran). It lets Peach attack someone that is positioned awkwardly below a platform, and no one ever sees it coming. :grin:

There are some turnip approaches that use the DJC to get very low to the ground, but I don't ever use them.

i'm not sure if this is already answered, but i didnt see it in the first eleven pages...hopefully i didnt just miss it
about falcos - how do you over come SHL? i get really annoyed campy falcos and i try to put some pressure on them when they start SHL spamming. but then if i get too close and i get flatfooted they start the pillar. what should i do to avoid/get out of the pillar and should u play more offensively or defensively against falco? i know as long as you can get the falco off you can edgeguard pretty well and easily. it's just the problem of getting the first hit
Running power shields. Keep running towards them and power shield their lasers. It's quite easy once you get the timing down.

Top Bottom