• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "Ask Cort Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
How could I incorporate the following into my Peach game...

The Parasol
The Down Tilt
Turnip Throw Cancels
Toad
Forward Smash
Up Air

Also what is Peach's best air move IYO? Why?

I have some problems with Peach dittos, any tips?

Cort

Apple Head
How could I incorporate the following into my Peach game...

The Parasol
The Down Tilt
Turnip Throw Cancels
Toad
Forward Smash
Up Air

Also what is Peach's best air move IYO? Why?

I have some problems with Peach dittos, any tips?
Parasol - is usually safe to use whenever someone is above you. It's also good to use against shield pressuring Fox/Falco.

I discussed dtilt useage in this thread already. The dtilt bends Peach back for a good amount of time before attacking the ground, so it can be used to avoid some grabs and even Sheik's ftilt (Ryoko made a few videos before)

Elaborate on "turnip throw cancels" as I'm not entirely sure what you mean. The only real turnip techs I use is throwing them out of shield/z dropping them against recovering Marths.

I never use Toad. Ever.

I use fsmash pretty sparingly because it also bends Peach backwards and lets her avoid some attacks. It's fairly useful in Peach dittos against certain approaches.

Uair is great to combo with, but it's a fairly horrible approach.

I wrote up a hefty post about Peach dittos, check it out.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
No problem.

Samochan

Smash Master
This thread is awesome. :3 But I also wanna suggest a cool trick for peach dittoes (and possibly other things as well)

As a peach go and shield another peach's dash attack. If they do not hit with the tip of the attack and are right beside your shield, you can sweetspot an upsmash at them. <3 Can prolly work against other dash attacks as well in case they're right beside you sticking to your shield.

I've also found that you can actually uthrow -> uptilt a Marth and sheik at lower% (LOL) before they can do anything. At least I can do it to my friend who is notorious with frame perfect thing and the likes. >_> Then upthrow into upair works against sheik at the more medium-higher % if you time it right.

Oh and cort, do you feel that short hopped djc turnip throw into an fc aerial to attack/maneuver of choice is sex?

Cort

Apple Head
Sorry Cort, I forgot to thank you for the advice.

One more thing that I would like to ask you... how much do you use Peach in tournaments? How often will you switch to another character and for what reasons?
No problem.

I've used Peach pretty exclusively in tournament ever since OC2. I still use Sheik or Fox against certain Marths, and against PC I tend to mix it up between Peach and my Marth. At SCC I went Marth 4 times and Fox the last game in my 2-3 set vs PC, and went Peach in every single other pool/tournament sets except for my joke set with M2K >_>

I play Marth a lot more vs PC in friendlies mostly to give him the practice to prepare against Mew2King. As a result I've gotten pretty used to PC's style against my Marth and find it much easier than him ****** my Peach. :grin:

This thread is awesome. :3 But I also wanna suggest a cool trick for peach dittoes (and possibly other things as well)

As a peach go and shield another peach's dash attack. If they do not hit with the tip of the attack and are right beside your shield, you can sweetspot an upsmash at them. <3 Can prolly work against other dash attacks as well in case they're right beside you sticking to your shield.

I've also found that you can actually uthrow -> uptilt a Marth and sheik at lower% (LOL) before they can do anything. At least I can do it to my friend who is notorious with frame perfect thing and the likes. >_> Then upthrow into upair works against sheik at the more medium-higher % if you time it right.

Oh and cort, do you feel that short hopped djc turnip throw into an fc aerial to attack/maneuver of choice is sex?
That's a cool trick, I'll try it out sometime.

That sounds like an interesting maneuver, I'll also try that.

Samochan

Smash Master
I heard pc does the djc trick all the time. The short hop into djc turnip throw makes the turnip have a very low trajectory and hitting people's shield from the front easier and hitting people nearer you and then the djc since it swings not only it gives you momentum forward but you can also float quite low cause of this. And low float and more momentum means faster attack. :3

Cort

Apple Head
I heard pc does the djc trick all the time. The short hop into djc turnip throw makes the turnip have a very low trajectory and hitting people's shield from the front easier and hitting people nearer you and then the djc since it swings not only it gives you momentum forward but you can also float quite low cause of this. And low float and more momentum means faster attack. :3
PC doesn't djc into it, he just simply throws a turnip into float/FC aerial/dsmash. He just does it fairly quickly and low to the ground, sometimes.

DJCing is a good idea, though.. even faster.

5001st post!

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
No problem.

I've used Peach pretty exclusively in tournament ever since OC2. I still use Sheik or Fox against certain Marths, and against PC I tend to mix it up between Peach and my Marth. At SCC I went Marth 4 times and Fox the last game in my 2-3 set vs PC, and went Peach in every single other pool/tournament sets except for my joke set with M2K >_>

I play Marth a lot more vs PC in friendlies mostly to give him the practice to prepare against Mew2King. As a result I've gotten pretty used to PC's style against my Marth and find it much easier than him ****** my Peach. :grin:
Hmm interesting... Marth is indeed our mortal enemy!

thanks again

*takes notes*

Samochan

Smash Master
PC doesn't djc into it, he just simply throws a turnip into float/FC aerial/dsmash. He just does it fairly quickly and low to the ground, sometimes.

DJCing is a good idea, though.. even faster.
But I heard he does the djc all the time while we had an aim conversation, he said it himself. <_> Albeit he also does a lot of the regular short hop turnip throw into fc aerials too.

whatwhatwhatwhatwhat

Smash Apprentice
Cort:

stickywalk - useless or revolutionary? Or just something random to pull out?

condom buster - useless or revolutionary? Or just something random to pull out?

How often do you play stadium?

What do you think of Peach's final smash in Brawl?

Who do you believe to be the top five players based off of recent tournament results?

Your pick for final third party character in Brawl?

What do you think about universal health care?

Mr P

Smash Ace
Most peaches that turn around in the air throw a reverse turnip to grab the edge with a single jump, but you can do it faster with a DJC reverse turnip for grabbing the edge . I dont know of any peaches that do this aside from mine but its a nice little trick you just have to time it right and make sure you grab the edge instead of dropping off the side to your doom.

I haven't seen enough vids of your peach Cort, there's no recent ones but i know your peach is very good. Nice thread, it's been needed in here

Cort

Apple Head
But I heard he does the djc all the time while we had an aim conversation, he said it himself. <_> Albeit he also does a lot of the regular short hop turnip throw into fc aerials too.
I don't think I've ever seen him djc into it. I don't think he knows what it is, probably.

cort plzzzz whut r peech weakness 2 marth?

i haf truble beat peach wif marth!
eye w3nt 0vr dis awl reddee.

Cort:

stickywalk - useless or revolutionary? Or just something random to pull out?

condom buster - useless or revolutionary? Or just something random to pull out?

How often do you play stadium?

What do you think of Peach's final smash in Brawl?

Who do you believe to be the top five players based off of recent tournament results?

Your pick for final third party character in Brawl?

What do you think about universal health care?
Stickywalk is fun to do between kills.

Condom buster?

I still play Stadium cause it's fun. I can't beat any of my records because they're all ridiuclously good.

Peach's final smash in Brawl looks pretty amazing.

Megaman!? He'd be a lot cooler than Sonic, anyway.

Universal health care is the prettiest thing on paper.

Most peaches that turn around in the air throw a reverse turnip to grab the edge with a single jump, but you can do it faster with a DJC reverse turnip for grabbing the edge . I dont know of any peaches that do this aside from mine but its a nice little trick you just have to time it right and make sure you grab the edge instead of dropping off the side to your doom.

I haven't seen enough vids of your peach Cort, there's no recent ones but i know your peach is very good. Nice thread, it's been needed in here
I will have to try this more! There should be much more vids of my Peach once FCD/SCC videos come out on the MLG site.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Please help explain to me why turning around with a turnip is "faster" than just going to the edge. Don't you have to pull a turnip in the first place? Why not just SH reverse toad -> ledgegrab, it's a little awkward at first, but probably the fastest option peach has coming from across the stage.

Uair is an amazing move, I'm pretty sure it is actually a safe approach on shield even when lcancelled.. a little awkward to approach with yes, but if peach couldn't FC we'd all be approaching with shuffled uairs.

Fake turnip throws are when you throw a turnip downward going from the air to the ground. Here's a thread I made explaining how it works: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=53706
Overall i consider them pretty useless, but you might be able to get away with fake throwing a stitch and then tossing it to hit someone. Might work.

here's some vids of me in case you're curious: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=113770
I hope watching me isn't like when i watch other people where i just get frustrated at their playstyle and literally cannot watch the entire match >_>

I like how there's suddenly a good read on the peach boards. Good work Cort!

Mr P

Smash Ace
Please help explain to me why turning around with a turnip is "faster" than just going to the edge. Don't you have to pull a turnip in the first place? Why not just SH reverse toad -> ledgegrab, it's a little awkward at first, but probably the fastest option peach has coming from across the stage.
Who the hell uses toad to turn around, i've never seen anyone do it ? It's probably slower than pulling a turnip anyway :laugh::laugh:. Lets just assume for a second that you DO have a turnip in hand, DJC reverse throwing becomes faster than SHing it or full jumping.

Cort

Apple Head

Uair is an amazing move, I'm pretty sure it is actually a safe approach on shield even when lcancelled.. a little awkward to approach with yes, but if peach couldn't FC we'd all be approaching with shuffled uairs.

Fake turnip throws are when you throw a turnip downward going from the air to the ground. Here's a thread I made explaining how it works: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=53706
Overall i consider them pretty useless, but you might be able to get away with fake throwing a stitch and then tossing it to hit someone. Might work.

here's some vids of me in case you're curious: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=113770
I hope watching me isn't like when i watch other people where i just get frustrated at their playstyle and literally cannot watch the entire match >_>

I like how there's suddenly a good read on the peach boards. Good work Cort!
It's good if you already have a turnip in hand, and it provides a sense of randomness because you don't know if the Peach is going to throw the turnip or attempt to edge hog with it.

I still don't think uair is all that good to approach with if you compare it to the shield stun of fair. Nair just feels a lot better too.

"Fake" turnip throws are excessively... not smart. Especially if you mess up and throw away a grandpa. Just keep things simple with turnips.

I'll watch some of those when I'm not so tired and busy with homework (I'm procrastinating right now :grin:)

I'm glad you think this topic is a good read. The Peach boards need better topics.

MisterMoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aaron_Rodgerz
I'm having a problem against this Falcon player. He full hops at me most of the time and N-airs me in to a big shffle combo. And when i get used to that, he just shffles me. What can i do to stop all this craziness @.@

Cort

Apple Head
Okay guys, enough with the baby talk.

I'm having a problem against this Falcon player. He full hops at me most of the time and N-airs me in to a big shffle combo. And when i get used to that, he just shffles me. What can i do to stop all this craziness @.@
You're going to have to get a little more specific with this question. To stop his shffl approaches, start using turnip approaches. Peach needs to play slightly defensively in this match up in order to win with more ease, so floating back and waiting for the Falcon to miss nairs is a great idea.

But yeah, please elaborate.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
How Can I improve my DI? I was fighting my friends Roy and I keep getting hit. and it was Hard for me to break free. I even got spike twice with his third F-B (down). Near the edge is hard cause I cant if I DI Back, i get sent out further and its hard for me to return to the stage at that. And if I DI into him I'll eat more hits then I get K.O. Im horrible when it comes to DI. I just dont know what to do.

Cort

Apple Head
Hey cort,

Do you fast fall your FC aerials?
I fast fall them quite fast.

How Can I improve my DI? I was fighting my friends Roy and I keep getting hit. and it was Hard for me to break free. I even got spike twice with his third F-B (down). Near the edge is hard cause I cant if I DI Back, i get sent out further and its hard for me to return to the stage at that. And if I DI into him I'll eat more hits then I get K.O. Im horrible when it comes to DI. I just dont know what to do.
You're talking about DIing combos? The general rule of thumb is to always DI away unless you sense a "finishing" move coming, such as Falcon's knee. Regular DI in order to survive is all based on instinct as to when you think you're going to get hit, in which case you should almost always be holding up and slightly towards the stage (perpendicular to your flight trajectory, and 98% of moves send people away and slightly up) Other moves that send you up you should DI the way they're facing (such as Fox's usmash). The exceptions are moves like Doc's fair/Zelda's fair, which send you in odd directions, and sometimes it's better to just not DI these at all as they can kill off the top or the side easily.

But yeah.. if you're talking about getting combo'd, always DI away so they can't combo you anymore. Recovering with Peach should not really be too big of a problem? If you think you're going to die then DI in (up and towards for most moves).

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
recovering as in landing on to the stage safely when coming from the air. I kept on getting hit.I think I once took about 50-60% trying to hit the ground without getting sent back out. And DI with Peach alon is hard cause she does not really go anywhere.

Cort

Apple Head
Well.. use your brain more. Try recovering higher, then tricking them accordingly.

I don't really know what you mean by "she doesn't really go anywhere". DI is just as effective with Peach than with any character, if not better.

Try explaining your situation slightly better.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I mean Peach can get comboed fairy easy compared to others. Cause of her weight. and that makes it hard enough for me to DI combos the right way, or at all.

Cort

Apple Head
Well, I told you everything you could do to try and avoid getting combo'd. It's obviously inevitable to avoid combos 100% of the time, so get used to it. Just don't let getting combo'd shake up your focus on the match.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Just don't let getting combo'd shake up your focus on the match.
^^^^^^^

*Is what happens to me*

But now Im trying to get off that habit. Cause of my bad DI, My friend was up 3 to one. It was hard to keep focus, cause it seem there was no well in hell I was catching up. But some how I did an I won the match.

What can I do when link is Presuring my shield and Im near the edge. I find it hard to escape that and I eat a Dsmash or a Up-B cause He keeps eating my shield. I try to jump out the shield to a N-air of Dair but he takes me down with a N-air, Jab or Up-B.

Cort

Apple Head
^^^^^^^

*Is what happens to me*

But now Im trying to get off that habit. Cause of my bad DI, My friend was up 3 to one. It was hard to keep focus, cause it seem there was no well in hell I was catching up. But some how I did an I won the match.

What can I do when link is Presuring my shield and Im near the edge. I find it hard to escape that and I eat a Dsmash or a Up-B cause He keeps eating my shield. I try to jump out the shield to a N-air of Dair but he takes me down with a N-air, Jab or Up-B.
Just keep sitting in your shield until you find an opening to jump out. It's Link, his moves don't come out that fast and often times there is a good amount of lag after them. Play patiently and wait.

Did I ever mention that waiting is the epitome of this game?

MisterMoo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aaron_Rodgerz
Okay guys, enough with the baby talk.

You're going to have to get a little more specific with this question. To stop his shffl approaches, start using turnip approaches. Peach needs to play slightly defensively in this match up in order to win with more ease, so floating back and waiting for the Falcon to miss nairs is a great idea.

But yeah, please elaborate.
Cort, ill upload a match of me and him soon so you can look at it in better detail.

Cort

Apple Head
That's.. fine I guess. I kind of wanted to avoid criticizing matches as it's a lot of work. I'd rather answer specific questions.

But yeah, whatever.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I do, But I get nervous when my Shield gets small, and then his Dsmash cuts right throw it.

How can i use FC well against Fox. Cause I heard somewhere that its bad to be over fox. But GO FC on Fox czn do damage. I just dont know how. Is air attacks seem to be my FC techs. I dont really know how to go at one with FC

Top Bottom