• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offical Pit Match Up Thread: Looking for Assistance!

Nitrix

Smash Ace
This is one of the matchups where Mirror Shield can give big rewards if used properly. Ike has a fairly linear style so if you can reflect a F-Air or Jab combo you are almost guaranteed a Dash Attack or Smash.

And of course don't forget reflecting Aether lol. Although a good Ike will probably use Aether in the reverse direction to avoid reflection.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Alright, I'll try to share what I know on this MU.

At the beginning of the match, you're going to have to play very smart. For now, focus on camping and wracking up damage. Make good use of your Arrows, and don't try to assault him too much. If he gets close to you, use your jabs or any other move that is fairly quick. Once you push him away, try and escape to a safer position if you can. Keep using Arrows and wracking up damage. Make sure to save Pit's kill moves, as you'll need them fresh once you get Ike to a killing percentage. If you get caught in Ike's jab combo in this part of the match, DI out of it immediately. You don't want to reach over 100% before he does. And just be careful of Ike's side B and any other mindgames, as you don't want to get to a high percentage before he does. Also, start taking note of your enemies habits and strategies, as you'll need to find an opening once you get Ike to a high percentage.

Once you get Ike to a higher percentage, start looking for openings to use your kill moves. Once you find an opening, attempt to use one of Pit's kill moves to KO him. If you miss, it's fine, but once you miss with one move twice, try and switch to another kill move. Nikenick's suggestion on Power Shielding Ike's Fair isn't a bad one, as it can open Ike up for punishments. If you get cornered and need to shield, try switching to Mirror Shield. Even if it doesn't reflect Ike's moves, it's a nice, constant shield that you can use. Since you will also be pushed away if Mirror Shield doesn't reflect Ike's moves, it is also good for spacing. But try not to get predictable with Mirror Shield, as once Ike finds out that he can grab you out of it, things can get ugly (I've noticed that not many people know that you can grab Pit out of Mirror Shield. I suggest using it against players that don't have too much Pit MU experience). If you are also at a high percentage, try not to go in too much. Make sure that you have a surefire way of hitting him if you're at a high percentage. If you're at a higher percentage than him, keep using the strategy from above (using Arrows, using jabs or another quick move when he gets close, and keeping your distance). Once you get Ike to a high percentage, start looking for an opening. But still be careful, as you may be at a point where even the final hit of Ike's jab is deadly. Also, be on the look out for Ike's infamous jab>jab>Utilt combo. It can be fatal if you're over 100%, and it can kill even earlier if you're at a stage with a low ceiling. If you're at a high percentage, stay out of Ike's jab range. As once you get caught, there is little chance of escaping a jab>jab>Utilt combo.

Once you take Ike's first stock, you're probably going to be at a high percentage. Revert to the strategy of keeping your distance and using Arrows. You're prime goal at this point of the game is to wrack up damage so it'll be easier to KO Ike once you do lose a stock. If you're at a low percentage, that is excellent. But, don't go rushing in and attacking, still concentrate on wracking up damage and keeping your distance. The lower you are at percentage, the more damage you'll be able to inflict before you lose a stock. If you get Ike at a killing percentage and you still haven't lost a stock, go ahead and go for it. But since your moves are most likely stale, it'll be harder for you to KO Ike.

If you were the first person to lose a stock, this battle just became much more difficult for you. Keep your distance and wrack up damage, but be extremely careful, as Ike can wrack up a lot of damage if you mess up spacing, and you don't want to end up at an even bigger disadvantage. You're going to have to exploit your opponents weaknesses to a fault here. Make sure to punish any predictable moves, and be on the look out for mindgames. Once you get Ike to a Knock Out percentage, try and head for the kill, but be extremely cautious, as you don't want to get even more damage. If you are able to take his first stock before you lose your next one, revert to keeping your distance, and wracking up damage.

The endgame is important. If you have the advantage, that's great, keep it up. But, if you're at a dissadvantage, you're going to have to play even smarter.

If you have the advantage, keep wracking up damage, and keeping your distance, but don't be too afraid to look for combos. If you have a stock advantage, you can loosen up a little, but be on the lookout for any lethal moves. If you're on the same stock, make sure to keep a percentage advantage, and punishing any predictable movements. Make use of your multiple jumps, and try to fake out a laggy move from Ike. Once he's open, drop down and ues any aerial you'd like, this strategy is also good to use throughout the battle, but make sure not to get predictable with it.

If you're at a disadvantage, you're going to have to play super smart. Just concentrate on increasing Ike's damage, and saving your kill moves. If you can get the lead again, try and mix up your strategy, as the camping may have gotten predictable. And again, be careful of any killing moves, such as Ike's jab>jab>Utilt combo. The best way to avoid things like this is to stay out of range, and bait a laggy move from him. You would have to play super smart, but if you can read your opponent, the battle should be winnable, as long as you don't make any lethal mistakes.

Try and stick to a strategy similar to the one I mentioned for the beginning parts of the game. But, try and switch to another strategy midgame. A very good thing to learn is using different strategies, and never getting to predictable. Change strategies if you think you've gotten predictable, and switch strategies to fit your opponents playstyle. This is an invaluable technique, and I suggest you learn it. As changing your gameplay mid-game is a great way to confuse an opponent.

For stages, try to pick a stage with a high ceiling, as it'll help you in surviving any of Ike's Upwards attacks.

I'd say this MU is 50:50. Pit's amazing defensive abilities cancels out Ike's strong offensive capabilites. How the match will turn out will mostly be up to the players skill.

Well, I hope this helps ^__^. Don't know if I made any sense. But, I hope this is helpful ^__^.

Ayoub

Smash Ace
Alright, I'll try to share what I know on this MU.

At the beginning of the match, you're going to have to play very smart. For now, focus on camping and wracking up damage. Make good use of your Arrows, and don't try to assault him too much. If he gets close to you, use your jabs or any other move that is fairly quick. Once you push him away, try and escape to a safer position if you can. Keep using Arrows and wracking up damage. Make sure to save Pit's kill moves, as you'll need them fresh once you get Ike to a killing percentage. If you get caught in Ike's jab combo in this part of the match, DI out of it immediately. You don't want to reach over 100% before he does. And just be careful of Ike's side B and any other mindgames, as you don't want to get to a high percentage before he does. Also, start taking note of your enemies habits and strategies, as you'll need to find an opening once you get Ike to a high percentage.

Once you get Ike to a higher percentage, start looking for openings to use your kill moves. Once you find an opening, attempt to use one of Pit's kill moves to KO him. If you miss, it's fine, but once you miss with one move twice, try and switch to another kill move. Nikenick's suggestion on Power Shielding Ike's Fair isn't a bad one, as it can open Ike up for punishments. If you get cornered and need to shield, try switching to Mirror Shield. Even if it doesn't reflect Ike's moves, it's a nice, constant shield that you can use. Since you will also be pushed away if Mirror Shield doesn't reflect Ike's moves, it is also good for spacing. But try not to get predictable with Mirror Shield, as once Ike finds out that he can grab you out of it, things can get ugly (I've noticed that not many people know that you can grab Pit out of Mirror Shield. I suggest using it against players that don't have too much Pit MU experience). If you are also at a high percentage, try not to go in too much. Make sure that you have a surefire way of hitting him if you're at a high percentage. If you're at a higher percentage than him, keep using the strategy from above (using Arrows, using jabs or another quick move when he gets close, and keeping your distance). Once you get Ike to a high percentage, start looking for an opening. But still be careful, as you may be at a point where even the final hit of Ike's jab is deadly. Also, be on the look out for Ike's infamous jab>jab>Utilt combo. It can be fatal if you're over 100%, and it can kill even earlier if you're at a stage with a low ceiling. If you're at a high percentage, stay out of Ike's jab range. As once you get caught, there is little chance of escaping a jab>jab>Utilt combo.

Once you take Ike's first stock, you're probably going to be at a high percentage. Revert to the strategy of keeping your distance and using Arrows. You're prime goal at this point of the game is to wrack up damage so it'll be easier to KO Ike once you do lose a stock. If you're at a low percentage, that is excellent. But, don't go rushing in and attacking, still concentrate on wracking up damage and keeping your distance. The lower you are at percentage, the more damage you'll be able to inflict before you lose a stock. If you get Ike at a killing percentage and you still haven't lost a stock, go ahead and go for it. But since your moves are most likely stale, it'll be harder for you to KO Ike.

If you were the first person to lose a stock, this battle just became much more difficult for you. Keep your distance and wrack up damage, but be extremely careful, as Ike can wrack up a lot of damage if you mess up spacing, and you don't want to end up at an even bigger disadvantage. You're going to have to exploit your opponents weaknesses to a fault here. Make sure to punish any predictable moves, and be on the look out for mindgames. Once you get Ike to a Knock Out percentage, try and head for the kill, but be extremely cautious, as you don't want to get even more damage. If you are able to take his first stock before you lose your next one, revert to keeping your distance, and wracking up damage.

The endgame is important. If you have the advantage, that's great, keep it up. But, if you're at a dissadvantage, you're going to have to play even smarter.

If you have the advantage, keep wracking up damage, and keeping your distance, but don't be too afraid to look for combos. If you have a stock advantage, you can loosen up a little, but be on the lookout for any lethal moves. If you're on the same stock, make sure to keep a percentage advantage, and punishing any predictable movements. Make use of your multiple jumps, and try to fake out a laggy move from Ike. Once he's open, drop down and ues any aerial you'd like, this strategy is also good to use throughout the battle, but make sure not to get predictable with it.

If you're at a disadvantage, you're going to have to play super smart. Just concentrate on increasing Ike's damage, and saving your kill moves. If you can get the lead again, try and mix up your strategy, as the camping may have gotten predictable. And again, be careful of any killing moves, such as Ike's jab>jab>Utilt combo. The best way to avoid things like this is to stay out of range, and bait a laggy move from him. You would have to play super smart, but if you can read your opponent, the battle should be winnable, as long as you don't make any lethal mistakes.

Try and stick to a strategy similar to the one I mentioned for the beginning parts of the game. But, try and switch to another strategy midgame. A very good thing to learn is using different strategies, and never getting to predictable. Change strategies if you think you've gotten predictable, and switch strategies to fit your opponents playstyle. This is an invaluable technique, and I suggest you learn it. As changing your gameplay mid-game is a great way to confuse an opponent.

For stages, try to pick a stage with a high ceiling, as it'll help you in surviving any of Ike's Upwards attacks.

I'd say this MU is 50:50. Pit's amazing defensive abilities cancels out Ike's strong offensive capabilites. How the match will turn out will mostly be up to the players skill.

Well, I hope this helps ^__^. Don't know if I made any sense. But, I hope this is helpful ^__^.

TL;DR just camp the hell out of Ike, if he got the lead, spam fsmash. If you got the lead, camp even more.

Nah, good read. =P

Lenus Altair

Smash Ace
You know Ike hasn't bother me to much. He's not someone Pit beat soundly or anything like that, but I face a range of Ike players and generally feel that the match up is slightly in Pits Favor, 55/45. Honestly if it wasnt for Ikes Jab, this match would be pretty onesided... but I bet that's true for him versus a number of characters :p.

So for all the talk about "Good powersheilding stops Pits Arrows/Ikes Fair"... it's really is a mind game, especially for Pits arrows which can be charged and curved. Who ever plays the better mind games will connect. It theory fighter land both attacks are not hard to perfect shield on reaction, but in real fighting you'll be tricked into taking some of the hits. Just throwing that out there since Ive seen it a couple times already on both sides.

So yah, Pit plays defense (As usual), Ike goes offense. You want him at arrow range or being juggled and he wants you in the dead zone were his attacks outrange melee and its not safe to pull out the bow. Simple.

Pit can keep a distance from Ike decently well. PErsonally angelic step is a godsend for me in this match up as a sheilded/whiffed SH fair on Ikes part can end in a slidding FSmash/Dsmash that way both racking damage and setting him up for arrows on the way back.

Persueing him offstage is a risk due to aethercides and large disjointed arieals particularly a well spot Bair that can send Pit to his doom, but at the same time is usually worth it. Mirror sheild gimps, whether he Aethers, Quick draws, or uses any attack really put him down pretty easily. If that makes you uncomfortable, arrows work fine on dragging him short of the stage often times. Aether planking is decent, but as discussed by others, risky to them more then us with the shield. Plus we can loop arrows if he really just wants to stay there.

Up close his jab beats everything we got except utilt, but they'll only work if hes on top of you which a good Ike will be doing his best to avoid. Keep him out, and juggle him with uair, being sure to do it to one side less he dair through it.

Also if you happen to be the one in the juggling position, Wing Stalling is an excellent tool against Ike, baiting his slow end lag attacks and swooping in with a bair/fair/dair to punish.

This match would be fairly easy if wasn't for that jab and Ike potential for early kills versus his high weight class. His disjoints are ridiculous too, beating out most of our attacks when spaced even remotely well. That's why this match is all about bait and punish. Play a game where you constantly retreat, harrass with arrows, and skip out of his way with you multiple jumps, Wing stalling and the like only to dart back in with a sliding Upsmash/angelic step FSmash to knock him out and back to square one should he press you.

Pit wins in the air overall and off stage. Ike Wins on the ground, but not by much. Ike is the one pressed to fight on Pits terms most of the time.

55/45

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
whenever i play and Ike it feels like im playing a sonic cause mindgames is all that those 2 characters have going for them

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694

As a Pit:

What moves or tactics should we watch out for?

Jab cancels and spacing with N-airs and F-airs are the basic thing for Ikes, and natural within the good ones. This makes approaching very difficult, though doing that shouldn't be our priority.
Also, if Ike's back is turned to you, watch out for his really quick B-air, especially if he's on the ground.

What moves or tactics should we try to enforce in this match up?

Utilize arrows sparingly when Ike's in mid range, use em more often at long range, and approaching is a hard task against a fairly good Ike, hence our melee-based range disadvantage.

Do you feel Pit has an advantage in any particular scenario of this matchup?

Aside from having a projectile advantage.... Gimping, gimping, gimping! Learn how to gimp Ike to make things easier.
Use arrows to push him back/mess up his Side-B charge. Hopefully he'll be pushed far enough to the point where he can't recover.
You can choose to pursue Ike with aerials to limit him a bit. Just be careful if the Ike chooses to fight back with an F-air.

Don't forget the Mirror Shield! You can use it against both of Ike's recovery moves, though Ike can turn away from the ledge direction to avoid Mirror Shield gimps, and grab the ledge IF he's close enough to the ledge already.

Do you feel the Ike can shut down aspects of Pit's game?

Ike outranging Pit + jab cancels makes it hard for Pit to approach safely unless Pit capitalizes on a laggy move an Ike might throw out, which is kinda rare against good ones.

Counterpicks? What to avoid and what to enforce?

Counterpicks:

-FD
Pit can camp Ike, so the big space allows Pit to do that, provided that the Pit is far away from him.

-Lylat Cruise
Tilting platform hurts Ike's recovery while it barely affects ours.

Bans:

-Pirate Ship
If it ever is legal, it's best to avoid it, not just because of being spiked into the water, but gimping him just isn't gonna work with the water helping Ike. Sigh, gimping was one of the few things we have over him.

-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
As usual, Pit's worst neutral, which does help Ike at times. Also, if Ike uses one of his powerful attacks and hits a shy guy, watch out for the extended time of the move's hit-box.

Possible Strikes/Bans:

-BF
The basic stage is small, not much room for Pit to roam around in, and it seems good for Ike. Ike's wide hit-boxes of N-air and F-air can cover both over and below the platforms easily. The platforms can serve as a "landing pad" for Ike's Side-B, and if he times it right, he won't get landing lag from the move.
As far as neutrals go, most Ikes would probably learn this one.

More stuff may come soon if I feel like it or if I am convinced.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Boy, I'm glad you guys are doing an extensive review over Ike. . . I have the most trouble with this matchup honestly. I'd rather fight a metaknight, I can force myself to play better in that MU over Ike, Ike's jab . . . Ugh. I just keep rolling into it and making stupid decisions, I need some good reassurance that I CAN take him on.

To let you know, Renegade's Ike, is like, the best of all time . . . OF ALL TIME. I know San's real good and everything, but Rene knows me inside out with Ike. I'm just making so many mistakes I guess. . . But he knows the MU pretty well too. that 45 for ike is pretty strong even so.

My next hardest mu is falco, and I'd honestly face him over Ike XD I get like 60-70 percent all from jabs, it's rediculous. I'm such a noob Pit. But I'm really good in other MU's! I just need to be patient.

I'll let you guys know if the advice you provided helps me out, I'm the perfect test example for this MU at this point.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Ban Delphino. That stage is too good 4 Ike, lol. & how do you play Pit Krystedez? Didn't you say that you rarely arrowed? & tryed to gain momentum from attacks?

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
For the most part:

I arrow loop combos. I've near perfected arrow looping to where if I'm away from the opponent and I've conditioned them to shield arrows or look for them, I have one at least in the air ready to combo their shield for massive shield depletion or an actual hit.

I hardly spam arrows unless it's falco or fox where I'm trying to force them into their reflector.

I noticed it was easier to deal with Ike with more arrows, I just didn't fall into that mindset until like late game. I'm always trying to practice my arrow loop game to go into my combos, it really sets up for bair and fsmash kills.

I usually play pit conservatively and wait for a mistake, staying on their *** like a fly on !@#$, so I chase them off stage a lot, arrow loop and shield pressure them. This especially works on characters with small shields like metaknight and diddy kong.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Official Pit Matchup Thread: Looking for assistance!

Okay so its pretty obvious that I haven't been updating this thread nearly as much as I should have been. This has mostly been due to my university studies taking up viirtually all my free time :urg:. Furthermore since I don't have actual access to a wii, I must theorycraft much of my opinions from memory which isn't easy or accurate in principle. Thus if someone would like to take over this thread it would be much appreciated. I understand how few Pit's actually browse these boards and that there may not be someone to step in. Thus I am still willing to maintain this thread, but it feels like I cannot do it justice due to my current environment. Anybody want to help out?

EDIT: In the meantime, feel free to discuss MK matchup

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286737

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Boy, I'm glad you guys are doing an extensive review over Ike. . . I have the most trouble with this matchup honestly. I'd rather fight a metaknight, I can force myself to play better in that MU over Ike, Ike's jab . . . Ugh. I just keep rolling into it and making stupid decisions, I need some good reassurance that I CAN take him on.

To let you know, Renegade's Ike, is like, the best of all time . . . OF ALL TIME. I know San's real good and everything, but Rene knows me inside out with Ike. I'm just making so many mistakes I guess. . . But he knows the MU pretty well too. that 45 for ike is pretty strong even so.

My next hardest mu is falco, and I'd honestly face him over Ike XD I get like 60-70 percent all from jabs, it's rediculous. I'm such a noob Pit. But I'm really good in other MU's! I just need to be patient.

I'll let you guys know if the advice you provided helps me out, I'm the perfect test example for this MU at this point.
lol did i just read som1 say san isnt the best ike :O even if som1 "knows u" san is still da bestest =3 naaa jk ya i know what u mean tho we got a pretty sick ike down here in Florida named Ryo he gives Seibrik a really good fight and wins sometimes so im trying to learn this the right i way. I learned u can not plank a good ike its just...not workable and lol i <3 falco matchup its so easy granted i dont 2-3 stock good falcos its always one stock mid-high percents but falcos are a pretty straight forward character which i love fighting characters like that cuz pit has so many unique strings fun!~~

Okay so its pretty obvious that I haven't been updating this thread nearly as much as I should have been. This has mostly been due to my university studies taking up viirtually all my free time :urg:. Furthermore since I don't have actual access to a wii, I must theorycraft much of my opinions from memory which isn't easy or accurate in principle. Thus if someone would like to take over this thread it would be much appreciated. I understand how few Pit's actually browse these boards and that there may not be someone to step in. Thus I am still willing to maintain this thread, but it feels like I cannot do it justice due to my current environment. Anybody want to help out?

EDIT: In the meantime, feel free to discuss MK matchup

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=286737
if u tell me how to open new discussions and write summaries i can do SOME just cant maintain anything i got school as well :urg:

Was just reading the OP and saw this:

Samus
Counterpicks: Rainbow Cruise, Delfino Plaza
Bans: Yoshi's Island, Luigi's Mansion
.....r u srs? You guys need an OP update.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I coulda sworn the Stage CP/ban thing was long outdated. I would want to do some research on this, but it's really hard to get some of that information, or at least showing reasons why X stage is good/bad for X character against Pit. Another hard part is that not many are willing to help out.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Luigi's mansion we can jab lock people on, but Yoshi' island is actually terrible for us, we can't spam, and that stage makes our Close Combat even worse.

I can't see why rainbow cruize would be a good choice, If pit does terrible there then I guess we have an advantage, but samus is only mediocre there.

Delfino is a verrry select few samus mains fav stage to play on. It it decent at best I would say in this MU it would feel like fighting on a neutral stage.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
To make threads? or just provide help? Try doing write-ups for starters I guess :S Write-ups suck but you have to use all the info everyone has put up and agree'd upon and turn it into a readable summary.

DARKDRAGONHIEI

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4828-5788-9766
not much info on the match ups, oh well, can't complain with all the other given information. XD awesome pics you got going there

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
lol thats cuz the person doing matchups got too busy i just recently finally took over so there will be more info eventually ;D

BumbleBomb

Smash Apprentice
man the match up threads we do have are helpful, i hope we can get more of the bigger match ups pit has a disadvantage in soon, if theres anything i can do to help anyone feel free to let me know, because right now i feel blocked in my game and i need all the help i can get. I know Pit has great potential and i wanna see him climb the tier list a little if possible.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Honestly Pit doesn't have that many bad matchups. And I hope to help boost his position on the tier list when I start attending tournaments more.

I think the MUs we're looking for primarily are MK, Wario, GW, and Marth. Beyond that, it's personal issues and stronger evens.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
I don't know about Marth in that list, I think that matchup is fairly solid compared to the others. There's several mid tiers I would also like to discuss like the other 2 spacies, Peach, Luigi, ROB, and Sonic.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Honestly Pit doesn't have that many bad matchups. And I hope to help boost his position on the tier list when I start attending tournaments more.

I think the MUs we're looking for primarily are MK, Wario, GW, and Marth. Beyond that, it's personal issues and stronger evens.
I don't know about Marth in that list, I think that matchup is fairly solid compared to the others. There's several mid tiers I would also like to discuss like the other 2 spacies, Peach, Luigi, ROB, and Sonic.
Each are beyond doable. Marth and GW are more quicker to learn than the former. But mk is definitely learnable. i've proven this consistently to my mk friends and teachers.

BumbleBomb

Smash Apprentice
With the most needed MUs I just need to have a foundation to stand on to simply understand what I'm about to face when it comes to the start of each match. Going into the fight blind will just merit defeat and frustration unless you are overall just the better player...

Purple

Hi guys!
I just looked around and noticed that there's THREE matchup threads.

This one obviously and then these.

First one.

Second one.

Which one of these are we actually using? Kuro said to sticky his, but after noticing this I want to confirm which is more viable.

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
This one's old and the unofficial one has no discussion. Its just one Pit's viewpoint really so just stick Kuro's so we can discuss the Mathchups as a community.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
This one's old and the unofficial one has no discussion. Its just one Pit's viewpoint really so just stick Kuro's so we can discuss the Mathchups as a community.
Yes this is old outdated and never updated. Nitrix has expressed his willingness. So this can be closed. Please and thank you.

GERTY. namesearch <3.

Top Bottom