• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Offical "Ask Cactuar Stuff... about Stuff" Thread

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Title explains the purpose of the thread. Or I hope so anyway.

Please try and make a significant number of the questions Fox related to prevent the thread from being closed due to spam.

Other questions are welcome and encouraged though.

I will edit some of the better question and answers to this first post.

If I feel your question is not legit or worth answering, I will likely answer it with a heavily sarcastic comment. These will probably be the answers most worth reading.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I made a thread about this quite a while ago, but i'd like to hear what you think:

what's the best way to throw combo people without the uair? Some of my friends can smash DI the uair relatively consitently so I'm thinking it's better not to use it if there are other options

or (if you dont feel like comboing) what do you usually do out of throws?

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Do you shine?
+

Fox vs. Falco, explain it. =D
=

Stop standing still :(
?

I made a thread about this quite a while ago, but i'd like to hear what you think:

what's the best way to throw combo people without the uair? Some of my friends can smash DI the uair relatively consitently so I'm thinking it's better not to use it if there are other options

or (if you dont feel like comboing) what do you usually do out of throws?
I nair or bair at most percents and just follow it. Works much better imo than uthrow uair at 0 as you can utilt out of nair or bair usually, or even jab regrab. There are a lot of options from there.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I was rewatching M2K's Fox vs PC's Falco not long ago and realized some things. Like, M2K barely shines except to spike. And he almost always foxtrots. His entire game revolves around, like... fox trotting oddly, getting hit by a laser then full hop-nairing until PC decides to do full jump aerials, at which point he stops jumping and DDs into grabs. And lots and lots of non sequitur upsmashes.

The question is: Does this make sense? I mean, he loses the series, but it's against freakin PC, who wouldn't. Does the strategy behind it make sense for the matchup, or is it just M2K's hyperbolic spacing and superlative sense of timing that makes it workable? Or am I just not clever enough to figure out what M2K's thinking as well as I like to believe? I always get better results following chillin's advice ("grab") and like... running around on platforms to avoid lasers, than by any imitation of any strategy I've derived from watching pro Fox v Falco games.

So if the answer to the first question is "no," an answer to, "Well then, what does make sense?" would be appreciated, too.

oh and a simpler one: what do you think about fox v marth? even?

Tero.

Smash Champion
Wow another cactuar topic, this is so good. *subscribes*

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
use only shines until he can't CC shine you back anymore.

charles why are you so bored?
Haha, did I tell you that was my strategy?

I am bored because I am sick right now, so I have a lot of free time.

is bair effective against falco?
Yes, but the timing on when you attack the Falco is much more important than what move you use. The entire objective vs space animals is to knock them down once, and then kill them for it.

when can we play again sir?!!!!! *cough this week?*
Yeah sure, come to the Drexel game room? I'm gonna be practicing for Kansas.

I was rewatching M2K's Fox vs PC's Falco not long ago and realized some things. Like, M2K barely shines except to spike. And he almost always foxtrots. His entire game revolves around, like... fox trotting oddly, getting hit by a laser then full hop-nairing until PC decides to do full jump aerials, at which point he stops jumping and DDs into grabs. And lots and lots of non sequitur upsmashes.

The question is: Does this make sense? I mean, he loses the series, but it's against freakin PC, who wouldn't. Does the strategy behind it make sense for the matchup, or is it just M2K's hyperbolic spacing and superlative sense of timing that makes it workable? Or am I just not clever enough to figure out what M2K's thinking as well as I like to believe? I always get better results following chillin's advice ("grab") and like... running around on platforms to avoid lasers, than by any imitation of any strategy I've derived from watching pro Fox v Falco games.

So if the answer to the first question is "no," an answer to, "Well then, what does make sense?" would be appreciated, too.

oh and a simpler one: what do you think about fox v marth? even?

Mew2King is bad vs Falco with Fox. I wouldn't try to adapt any of his strategies as they are pretty flawed. Shine is one of Fox's most effective moves for knocking Falco down, and with proper followup, killing him. I spend a lot of time on platform stages moving around, which, to do effectively, takes a significant amount of practice in timing and knowing when to move to which platform. Once you have a good working knowledge of when to move between each of the Falco's attacks, the matchup becomes ridiculously easier. All you have to do is wait for an opportunity to knock them down.

Fox vs Marth is pretty even on the platform stages imo. FD is gaygay.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
oooooo an ask Hard Gay Thread!

1. How do I make my Falco stop losing to you every single time we play?

2. How many zerglings does it take to kill velocity in the first 4 minutes of a 2 v 2 game of starcraft on lost temple?

3. (Not a question) I don't like scallops! Please use your amazing cooking prowess to teach me to like them!

4. Does sleeping in a cactus-like position increase your likeness to a cactus? In other words, if I start sleeping like a cactus, will I be able to move around Falco's lasers like they aren't even there?

5. Just a reminder, I still get free vitamin water at work, and am currently enjoying a nice cold, refreshing bottle of revive... jealous?

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Cactuar, how do you effectively edge-guard Peach?
With bair. Or intimidating them at the ledge with pretty shines. If they recover very high, don't get impatient, just let them get closer, and then hit them.

oooooo an ask Hard Gay Thread!

1. How do I make my Falco stop losing to you every single time we play?

2. How many zerglings does it take to kill velocity in the first 4 minutes of a 2 v 2 game of starcraft on lost temple?

3. (Not a question) I don't like scallops! Please use your amazing cooking prowess to teach me to like them!

4. Does sleeping in a cactus-like position increase your likeness to a cactus? In other words, if I start sleeping like a cactus, will I be able to move around Falco's lasers like they aren't even there?

5. Just a reminder, I still get free vitamin water at work, and am currently enjoying a nice cold, refreshing bottle of revive... jealous?
1. By turning Falco into Fox.

2. Usually around 8.

3. HwoooOOOOOooooo!! HARDGAY COOKING! Dude I have a sweet scallops recipe for you later.

4. Sleeping with a cactus will increase your likeness to a cactus. Accepting cactus as your lord and savior will let you walk on lasers. (Or through them.)

5. I will always be jealous of your constant supply of free Vitamin Water.

how do you do that walkoff edgegrab?
See below.

you walk, right before falling off you turn around. Your momentum carries you off the stage, but since you turned around, you'll just fall and grab the edge.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
i use to know this but i forgot...

how do you insta walljump on fd. i do it by accident occasionally... what about other stages. thanks?

also i just want to be 100% sure. if a marth is shielding and you're feeling stupid or confident and you d-air in front of his shield. if you l-cancel and shine correctly can he ever grab you?

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i use to know this but i forgot...

how do you insta walljump on fd. i do it by accident occasionally... what about other stages. thanks?

also i just want to be 100% sure. if a marth is shielding and you're feeling stupid or confident and you d-air in front of his shield. if you l-cancel and shine correctly can he ever grab you?
If you are grabbing the edge and you let go and then jump up such that you slide along the wall (like, so you would be able to wall jump if you chose) and then, while holding the edge, jam away from the edge on the control stick, you'll instant walljump.

And, Cactuar: Okay. Thanks. My Fox v Falco isn't bad, it's just my roommate who plays falco isn't really on my level so I'm trying to improve by studying other players.

A couple simpler questions: What do you do after an upthrow at low percents? If they don't DI well, do you just usmash? Do you do the KDJ trick where you shine and then wavedash out to upsmash them (because teching that is really difficult)? Do you have some other wisdom?

And what do you do about excessive CCing? I get screwed over a lot by hitting with a nair (Or even a dair) at like, 15-20% and getting CC shined, is there a clever way to avoid this besides just grabbing more heavily at low percents?

Also, have you seen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-9_ozoN_y8 ? At like 1:32, and a few other times, LoZR gets chillin off the stage, full hops and gets him with a weak nair-> shine spike. I own my roomie with this, but is it just cause he doesn't know what to do about it, or is it actually a super broken edgeguard?

Oh and since I'm on a roll: What's with people besides me being able to do ridiculous u-throw to nair -> more nairs or regrabs? Is that heavily DI dependent or do I just have absolutely no timing and spacing?

(if im confusing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvU2J1IphdY PC does it here, and Colbol does it all the time against spacies)

And what are your thoughts on triangle jumping?

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
If you are grabbing the edge and you let go and then jump up such that you slide along the wall (like, so you would be able to wall jump if you chose) and then, while holding the edge, jam away from the edge on the control stick, you'll instant walljump.

not an instant walljump... thanks tho lol.

and its dif from scar jumping i think.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Scarjumping is just letting go of the edge, falling down and walljumping.

You can do an instant walljump (without spacing your edge grab like in the doraki walljump) through smashing away from the edge and pressing jump at the same time aswell. (You'll lose your double jump)

I haven't gotten this to work with anyone else then c falcon, btw.

I noticed this accidently when ledgehopping, but I didnt post about cuz i figured it'd be impossible noone else had discovered it.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Wrong wrong. Doraki's jump is done after grabbing the ledge while riding the wall up from a double jump. This causes the game to register you as riding the wall, so if you press away, you will wall jump straight from holding the ledge. You keep your double jump.

I might be mistaken on the exact mechanics, but you keep your jump. Magus Magus Magus come and explain.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you are right on the grabbing the ledge thing and riding the wall that explains so much on various edge shenanigans I've seen/experienced in friendlies.

Top Bottom