• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ODU Vs. CNU Vs. W&M Crew Battle $MM! 10/19/07

Israfel

Smash Journeyman
lol cow. As of current Tope is not planning on driving, so it looks unlikely that we'd be able to make it.

jake333

Smash Rookie
Any WM players wanna exchange some contact info? I've been wanting to play some competitive smash here for a while... I live in Dinwiddie, Botetourt complex if any of you wanna get together for some matches.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
so ya..we're going to get *****...i couldn't even handle the egg sniper myself..and ether is better by far i think...

though i've decided for some reason that dean's yoshi wasn't as good against falcon as it was against marth...so maybe i'll try some of my other character picks..but honestly W&M will get ***** by ODU pretty badly...i'll just look at it as paying for the chance to get some friendlies in or something...

as for W&M players...about practicing...stop practicing combos/waveshining..and start practicing movement and fluidness...most of you just move too slow..

just watch some cactuar matches..he's so fluid

oh and ether train my marth and teach me how to beat jiggs so schoolie dee doesn't embarrass me on my counterpick again:p not that i didn't get plenty of gimp kills on yoshi story..just wasn't enough

Ether

Smash Ace
i'll just look at it as paying for the chance to get some friendlies in or something...

oh and ether train my marth and teach me how to beat jiggs so schoolie dee doesn't embarrass me on my counterpick again:p not that i didn't get plenty of gimp kills on yoshi story..just wasn't enough
Make sure you find me. We will play 1 v 1's for like, 2 hours straight. Just say to me, "Hey Ether, I'm the guy you promised 2 hours of friendlies. Let me know when you're ready."

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Make sure you find me. We will play 1 v 1's for like, 2 hours straight. Just say to me, "Hey Ether, I'm the guy you promised 2 hours of friendlies. Let me know when you're ready."
you're inviting all kinds of trouble in keeping it that ambiguous haha...just talk on AIM or something...pix...a/s/l...buttsechs. The SoVa standard, you know.

aside from movement, which is key, l-cancel and [for most characters] Short-hop Fastfall L-cancel [SHFFL] are monumental and SPACING is huge. Work on that. Think of matchups you HATE. Think of the statements you might make like "oh man, EVERY time, he gets me with ____"...then think of what happens right BEFORE that and question why you end up in that situation and what you can and can't do to avoid it.
Also: don't get grabbed. simple, right?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ok..the problem goes like this

he baits me into aerials more often than i bait him into mine..and his edgeguarding is greater than mine..i can't really explain it...the other people like juan weren't anywhere near as crazy as that jiggly..and at least with peach i still had some self-respect at the end..

again it seems that kyle will not be playing..that will hurt out team a little but oh well..i'll find enough people hopefully

Kukulza

Smash Apprentice
..the other people like juan weren't anywhere near as crazy as that jiggly..and at least with peach i still had some self-respect at the end..
Lol im not quite as good schoolie but thats y im on the b-team. CNU's main team, Schoolie, Fats, not to mention Cow etc. are awesome.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
lmfao cow, that made my day :)

Knight, this weekend starts your fall break, right? Come to CNU for a bit either sat-sun or a weekday afterwards. We'll get some friendlies in, you'll play some other people from here, it'll be a rootin-tootin good time. Just make sure to never counter: Jigglypuff's ultimate marth combo = misjudged/misread counter attempt - rest.

UGGGH 7 DAYS :mad:

toasty

Smash Hero
UGGGH 7 DAYS :mad:
can't wait...........................we really REALLY need CHAIRS and things that can hold up TVs...oh and say if you're ABLE to bring a TV and a setup, I'll get in contact with you if we need it, but please...only guaranteed TVs, I don't want to bank on you and then ask when I need it and have you say "oh I didn't think my mom would have a problem with it but apparently she did"...and POWER STRIPS! Please.

and of course: table/box/whatever fans. unless this awesome October weather stays awesome, which is unlikely in VA, then it will be "hot as Ganon-balls" [~It's Ganon]

People, other than Fats, need to confirm what they can bring. That will make this whole event more enjoyable for everyone...and if you have a digital camera to record video with [though we mainly need the audio], then please bring it, as there will be a great deal to record and I don't wanna rely on my camera in case something happens and we're only left with a memory of epicness.

EDIT: Small TVs are great too...we don't need massive TVs like Otis's [though I really appreciate those times you brought it mang =D]

Cow

Smash Apprentice
Whilst trying not to sound like too much of a jerk for suggesting it, if w&m would rather play the B Teams i wouldn't see a problem with it.. especially since you're stretching to find members, i imagine the wash of skill would probably make it a more interesting match with at least the cnu b team, who i know to be pretty good all told. (i know nothing of ODU and teams of B), as opposed to bringing in fairly new players for the sake of having a team, and then facing off against all the experience of an A team.

Mjolnir

Smash Cadet
I agree agree with cow in reference to W&M teams. Also I think John and I will be able to bring a few controllers, and a setup. We would bring the TV but apparently it's "laggy" so it just pisses everyone off who plays on it cept John and I.

Poehlcat

Smash Apprentice
Shyyyyt.

I just remembered that I'm going home this weekend for my brother's birthday, so I can't make the crew round robin.

Though I guess if we hold it late in the afternoon or after dinner (which is what I assume would have happened anyway) I might be able to make it. I had originally planned on coming back on Sunday but I might be able to make it back in time on Saturday.

So, what time are we holding it?

Cow

Smash Apprentice
Shyyyyt.

I just remembered that I'm going home this weekend for my brother's birthday, so I can't make the crew round robin.

Though I guess if we hold it late in the afternoon or after dinner (which is what I assume would have happened anyway) I might be able to make it. I had originally planned on coming back on Sunday but I might be able to make it back in time on Saturday.

So, what time are we holding it?
pretty sure its next friday, probably after dinner..

toasty

Smash Hero
pretty sure its next friday, probably after dinner..
yes, and yes.

also: thanks for not bringing a laggy tv hahaha, I appreciate the sentiment though.

As for the W&M team playing against the ODU/CNU B-Teams, considering the skill gaps you've personally mentioned to me and the noted effort to even HAVE a full team, I think it'd be a better learning experience [and a more enjoyable one] than going up against "the experience of an A-Team" as Cow said.

But hey, that's completely your call. Just know that it won't be seen as a copout in any way if you happen to agree with the suggestion...we want people to get better and enjoy the game...and I'm not saying you[or your friends]'ll necessarily get discouraged or that victory, let alone a substantial one, is guaranteed, but we've all had experience in situations like this where it ended....sadly and unpredictably =/

ajphctp46

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, that's probably for the best. If we win the B-team crew, then maybe we can play the A-teams if people are still around/have time.

I'd thought of it before, but I didn't want to the one to suggest it.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Hey Toasty, quick suggestion.

I was wondering if I could play on A-team.... but go bowser on our B-team. For the record, I will automatically assume that anyone finding a problem with this idea is terrified of my koopa king :)

Anywho, I don't have a problem with w&m entering either. Hell, I'd prefer for the "A-Teams" to just be the CNU vs. ODU then we have b-teams to show off sova's up and coming guys, free for all of each side's a-team members to trash talk/coach. I can't wait for this ****.

All in favor of turning the "a-team" section into purely CNU vs. ODU say "me"

me

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
lol, dunno if i can come down this weekend..i was thinking of hitting richmond tourney in 3 hrs but maybe not..i won't go if i can't get a doubles partner

and i agree...our team would get ***** by ether..yes i am an ether fan as well..wasn't till like 3 days ago when i watched some vids:p so fluid..though not up to cactuar or m2k:p i love cactuar vs falco matches..they're so pretty watch:)

but ether is cool too

anyways, i just want to play the A team..i don't care whether crews go or not..so ya let's just take on the B teams..i will bet 5:1 odds against myself if you want:p especially since kyle is not coming

but yes... i know i must suck with marth if i find fox vs jiggly ten times easier than marth vs jiggly; so i will hit you up when i get there ether

i am the half korean kid with glasses...i usually wear contacts but i don't risk that at tourneys..what if they shift out of place...i mean i've played lots of matches half blind and they don't go well

oh ps..met a new falco player...who hopefully will be the shining beacon to light our way to new victories^^

or maybe not..but it's nice that some freshmen are taking up this game

Ether

Smash Ace
yes i am an ether fan as well

but ether is cool too
<3 knightpraetor

The fan base grows.

but yes... i know i must suck with marth if i find fox vs jiggly ten times easier than marth vs jiggly; so i will hit you up when i get there ether
Actually, the Jiggs player Sliq beat M2K's Marth in pools and forced M2K to go Fox and laser camp. But it all depends on how you like to play Marth and Fox that determines how well you'll do in that matchup.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
For the record, marth + fox = jigglypuff counters. Granted, I hate peach the most, followed by sheik, fox is the number 1 counterpick to jigglypuff.

And now you know ;)

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
See, I'm not so sure Marth counters Jiggly. It's a lot more even than people realize.
same with Pika Vs. Jiggz. It used to be considered as a "cake matchup" on the Pika boards and I would've shouted "LIES!" but I'm not good enough with Pika in the grand scheme of things for my voice to mean much...only recently have the Pika boards submitted to the fact that they never played Puff players who were good at spacing...which is really the biggest thing that levels the playing field with Jigglypuff.

jhoxn

Smash Cadet
For the record, marth + fox = jigglypuff counters. Granted, I hate peach the most, followed by sheik, fox is the number 1 counterpick to jigglypuff.

And now you know ;)
I'm pretty sure Jigglypuff cannot be countered. She has rollout after all...

:p

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
LIES, TOASTY AND ETHER ARE LIARS!

-Pikachu's height and overall size hinder/evade a good number of the usual jigglypuff combos, forcing purely defensive spacing/aerials. That stupid uair and the fair prioritize her aerials, and her cc turns my fair into an up-smash, killing me around 65-ish.

-Marth's size leaves him susceptible to quite a few hits, but even jiggly's most deceptive range-games can't compare with that sword and the fairs it creates >< Moving from the edge to the stage's center proves to be a serious ***** if the player maintains gayness-spacing.

5 F#CKING DAYS!! Oh, and new jigglypuff trick.

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the new one I learned yesterday completely took me by surprise.

When someone's on a platform with an edge underneath, full ledge jump, sing, edge cancel, full ledge jump rest... even I was hit with its trippy-ness.

edit:

WHAT'S THE ADDRESS FOR THIS THING??

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
you were supposed to PM toasty for it :p

no worries though, ill send you one with the address

also: toasty did you ever get the parking info cleared for the circle lot thing?

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
ODU B-TEAM [5 stocks total]
Gum
Zion
V aka "Shab"
Caboose
KingOfTheRoad
Billy
Would it be possible to get a mains/secondaries list for these guys? Dean and Enver have played with our b-team crew guys... you've got us at a slight disadvantage :ohwell:

Thanks for the info btw, and thanks even moreso for hosting :)

royboy850

Smash Apprentice
no problem. excited as **** for midterms to end so i can smash on friday >_>

and for the record, i personally have no idea who your Bteamers play. dunno if dean/enver have told any of the others but not me

archangelfor

Smash Rookie
hey toasty, i know you and i know eather but who are these other people and how might i get on one of these teams?( and by who are these other people i mean are they ever in the game room or are they just using other names for the tourny?)

Top Bottom