• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midwest [Oct 28, 2015] Wavedash Wednesday (Oak Park, IL)

Rat

Smash Lord
Did not feel like lugging my TV into the car this morning.

Instead I'm planning on picking up some Component Cables for the Wii when I leave work. Read that you can remove lag by setting the Wii to progressive scan and using Component Cables. See how that works out.

Rat

Smash Lord
Hey this was a really nice place! I regret not coming in last time lol.
Looking forward to next week.

Also the Component Cable worked pretty nicely!

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
this was nice.i wish i didnt have to go back to school on sunday otherwise i would be there again

Orenishii88

Smash Rookie
Lava here. sup. just got back from a month and a half break from society. and i totally live in oak park, so ill contribute to the growth on wednesday. ill bring a couple pals too. glad to see smash come to my neck of the woods

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
Those were some fun matches last week and I'm looking forward to some more this week too! : D

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
hey i wont be able to make it to this for awhile BUUTTTTT i have a pretty niced sized tv that i can donate to this venue. That way you dont have to worry about the component cables or it can be an extra tv to play melee/project melee on with no lag.

Sugahighsnipa

Smash Cadet
Might go to one of these soon for some P:M. Don't even care too much about the tournament, just want to play some P:M against some other human beings. Have my own wii/sd card/tv I could bring in too if anyone wants.

Sugahighsnipa

Smash Cadet
If I came with my own wii/tv would I have to compete in a tourney or could I just chill and play whoever in PM? I could still pay a venue fee or whatever but I'm still pretty newb and it'd be kind of a waste of time and money if I competed

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I'll explain. As it says on the first post if you are competing it's a $5 pot fee (per game) + $5 venue fee
So $10 if competing in 1 game, $15 for 2, etc.

If you are NOT competing then there is no pot fee & the venue fee varies depending on what time you arrive.
Arrive between 5pm-8pm venue fee = $12
Arrive between 8pm-10pm venue fee = $9
Arrive between 10pm-12am venue fee = $6

mar.rio

Smash Rookie
...if you are competing it's a $5 pot fee (per game) + $5 venue fee
So $10 if competing in 1 game, $15 for 2, etc...
Damn...As a poor college student, $12 is a lot to just check it out..

By $5 per game you mean $5 every time we sit down and play? Or like every tourney we enter? Cause $10 is a lot to compete in one match and get destroyed or win and then pay $5 again to keep going? :c

Maybe if I find enough quarters between the couch cushions :/

Oro?!

Smash Hero
EXPGaming that seems a little odd to have different venue fees for competitors and non competitors. You (the venue) would be making the same amount regardless if people are competing or not unless you are scraping off the top from entries. Letting people in for friendlies/casuals at the same cost would definitely increase potential interest from a larger audience.

It doesn't make sense to me how if you show up at 7:30 and don't enter anything you pay more than someone who shows up at any time and enters an event.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
Mar.rio
no no no it's $5 per TOURNAMENT! No one would come to the venue if it was $5 per match.

Oro
Tthe MINIMUM someone entering a tournament pays is $10 ($5 tournament fee + $5 venue fee)
The MAXIMUM someone NOT competing pays is $12.
That's only a $2 difference.

If we charged everyone $5 everyday/anytime we wouldn't make enough money to stay in business.

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
Wait I'm confused on why he would have to pay 12 to just play casually when to enter one tourney it would be 10.

Ninja'd: Still wouldn't you make them pay the solid 10 instead of even more than the people who enter.

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
There are ways around the $12 fee. Either compete and pay $10 and get a shot at winning money. Or come after or close to 8pm and pay $9. In all honesty 7:30pm is damn close to 8pm and I'm more than awesome enough to charge $9 if that's when you arrive.

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I know you are a business, but you don't make money off of people entering, you make money off of venue fee. Forcing tournament entry doesn't seem like a way to increase potential business, but that's just my 2 cents. There is no reason for someone not to enter a tournament if they show up since it's just a 1$ difference after 8, and that's just money out of your pocket from what it seems.

I have full intent of entering and coming, I was just a little taken aback by the venue fee differences.

mar.rio

Smash Rookie
... Letting people in for friendlies/casuals at the same cost would definitely increase potential interest from a larger audience...
Totally agree.

EXPGaming, thank you for clearing that up..although I am still a bit confused, you said $10 to compete and cover venue fees but then said $5 more for every game after that? do you mean like $10 for competing in Project M and the $5 to compete in melee afterward?

EXPGaming

Smash Journeyman
$5 TOURNAMENT FEE (aka POT FEE)
$5 VENUE FEE

Competing in PM means $10 total (no other charges)
Competing in MELEE AND PM means $15 total (no other charges)
Competing in MELEE, BRAWL AND PM means $20 total (no other charges)
Competing in PS ALL-STARS, MELEE, BRAWL, AND PM means $25 total (no other charges)

If anyone is still confused then come in and I can explain in person.

Sugahighsnipa

Smash Cadet
In that case ill probably come by next Wednesday because I wouldn't be able to stay for longer than like an hour and a half tonight and for me it wouldn't be worth the drive or the money. I haven't looked at the other places you linked but do their rates also differ by what time you arrive?

SpiderMad

Smash Master
As much as I want to go I'm too sleep deprived for the drive, but no school and hopefully no work to ruin it for the next one

Does the place also have wifi?

Top Bottom