• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important "Obedience School" - Duck Hunt Q&A Thread/FAQ/Directory

Monkiemoo

Smash Rookie
I've been maining DH from the start and have grown to become pretty good with him except one thing... killing. I always get off to great starts and then find myself using his smashes innefectively, resulting in me getting punished. I just some of you guy's advice on killing, thanks.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Gimmicks. All the gimmicks.

DHD's aerials got some killin' power, especially sweetspot Bair, Nair, and the Hammer of the Gods, Uair.

The trick is making your opponent do the work, it feels like.

For an example, I think one of the common gimmicks is baiting an airdodge as an opponent recovers with the can, then hopping up and blasting him with Uair.

Creativity is our biggest ace.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428

Shmoopy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jordanious24
3DS FC
3995-6588-3249
ok so WHAT is so good about Duck Hunt in game?
Not hating--curious.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Not hating--curious.
Forcing opponents to play a suboptimal game plan through projectiles and stage control while having decent enough normals and oddities to play a diverse, flexible, hybrid zoning and rushdown game dependent on the match up.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
Not hating--curious.
He makes you play his game. I don't know where I read this on the boards but someone said its like playing a chess game in a boxing match, you have to have a different way of thinking when playing as him than other characters. It's all about making your projectiles and long range attacks to escape your opponents attacks

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
He makes you play his game. I don't know where I read this on the boards but someone said its like playing a chess game in a boxing match, you have to have a different way of thinking when playing as him than other characters. It's all about making your projectiles and long range attacks to escape your opponents attacks
....*raises hand*

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Not hating--curious.
  • Great approach options
  • Good aerial game
  • One of the best damage-racking capabilities and decent combos
  • Okay camping game (its really overrated though)
  • Overall amazing neutral game
  • Fantastic pressure game and great at forcing reactions, especially when using the can and the gunmen
  • Multi-Purpose and huge depth to his projectiles: can aid approaches, bait reactions, edgeguard, punish landings, and limit opponents movement options.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Why do u think its overrated?
Because his projectiles are really really slow and awkward. A lot of people get the idea that Duck Hunt's projectiles are hard to bypass and are good at keeping people out, so a lot of people play him as a zoning character because of that. In reality, this is actually only effective against some of the cast, any character with decent aerial mobility can actually get past your wall of projectiles without that much trouble because of their awkwardness:
  • The can can be deflected the other direction by enemy attacks when its sitting on the ground and while you're shooting at it, it isn't exactly Duck Hunt's own property and it can be used against him, just like Pac-Man's Hydrant and Bowser Jr.'s mechakoopas.. Even when you're shooting at it, it doesn't move all that fast and its telegraphed, its incoming and can be powershielded.
  • The clay pigeon is also a slow moving projectile, has quite a bit of endlag, and can easily be destroyed by damaging hitboxes (especially if they are disjointed).
  • Gunmen would be a good camping tool, but they have some startup and take too long to shoot, and they can be defeated by enemy attacks. If they are defeated, you have to wait a few seconds before you can pop another one. The Quick Aces custom variant makes them shoot faster, but also decreases their range.
I mean, unless you're facing a heavy like :4bowser: or somebody who is terrible at approaching in general like :4luigi:, Duck Hunt as a long range zoner isn't really that effective and as long as your opponent is competent, they WILL get in faster than you might expect and you're not really going to get much mileage from it. In a ditto match though, you can easily camp out the opposing :4duckhunt: if you control center stage and whoever dies first loses strangely enough, basically like a game of capture the flag. Had to learn this the hard way, and Duck Hunt dittos are among the most aggravating dittos in the game imo. Duck Hunt's zoning is decent, but it's not really good enough to suffice as the core of his gameplan and its not gonna work against the majority of the cast. Other projectile characters like :4link:, :4megaman:, and :4samus: are honestly way better at zoning than he his; and if you pit him against them, he loses the projectile war unless you got the Mega Gunmen custom available.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
  • The can can be deflected the other direction by enemy attacks when its sitting on the ground and while you're shooting at it, it isn't exactly Duck Hunt's own property and it can be used against him, just like Pac-Man's Hydrant and Bowser Jr.'s mechakoopas.. Even when you're shooting at it, it doesn't move all that fast and its telegraphed, its incoming and can be powershielded.
  • The clay pigeon is also a slow moving projectile, has quite a bit of endlag, and can easily be destroyed by damaging hitboxes (especially if they are disjointed).
  • Gunmen would be a good camping tool, but they have some startup and take too long to shoot, and they can be defeated by enemy attacks. If they are defeated, you have to wait a few seconds before you can pop another one. The Quick Aces custom variant makes them shoot faster, but also decreases their range.
1. The can can be deflected but that's why you have to master it. Duck Hunt takes skill to get good with and he isn't even your main so you don't use him as much as me and other Duck Hunt users. Sure the can doesn't move that fast so you have to place it well and read your opponent to make sure they get hit by the can. You can't just aimlessly use it and expect to attack your opponent. It's also an effective gimping tool

2. The clay pigeon falls under the same rule as the can in that you have to read your opponent to use it. It catches them very well when rolling away from you and does 12% every time, which racks up damage very quickly.

3. Gunmen are used to shield you from projectiles like Samus's laser and missiles, Link's bombs and boomerang, Megamans smash, etc. They also are used to rack up quick damage and/or force your opponent to go into the air. Which brings me to Duck Hunts air game. The back air is deadly, the forward air has good knockback, and the up air is one of Duck Hunts best killing options, no Duck Hunt user can deny that.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
1. The can can be deflected but that's why you have to master it. Duck Hunt takes skill to get good with and he isn't even your main so you don't use him as much as me and other Duck Hunt users. Sure the can doesn't move that fast so you have to place it well and read your opponent to make sure they get hit by the can. You can't just aimlessly use it and expect to attack your opponent. It's also an effective gimping tool

2. The clay pigeon falls under the same rule as the can in that you have to read your opponent to use it. It catches them very well when rolling away from you and does 12% every time, which racks up damage very quickly.

3. Gunmen are used to shield you from projectiles like Samus's laser and missiles, Link's bombs and boomerang, Megamans smash, etc. They also are used to rack up quick damage and/or force your opponent to go into the air. Which brings me to Duck Hunts air game. The back air is deadly, the forward air has good knockback, and the up air is one of Duck Hunts best killing options, no Duck Hunt user can deny that.
Uh hello? You're the one who asked why I think his camping overrated. I didn't say those projectiles are terrible if that's you re thinking, the point of my post was to say why he isn't that good as a zoning character and why his projectiles are not that great at said job. Some of your arguments contain stuff that is COMPLETELY unrelated to what I was talking about.

Sure the can doesn't move that fast so you have to place it well and read your opponent to make sure they get hit by the can. You can't just aimlessly use it and expect to attack your opponent. It's also an effective gimping tool

*Ahem* Yes, the can is a good gimping tool, but as I said: Gimping and Camping are not the same thing at all. And reading opponents with it is important, that does not pertain to camping either. Like I said, due to its slow movement and being deflectable, it is not a reliable tool for zoning unless its a heavy or somebody who's just bad at approaching. If anything, reading your opponents to use this is actually kind of my point, due to its slowness and awkwardness, you can't use it as a typical projectile and you have to be smart about it.

The clay pigeon falls under the same rule as the can in that you have to read your opponent to use it. It catches them very well when rolling away from you and does 12% every time, which racks up damage very quickly.

Same as the can, punishing rolls, damage racking, and camping out opponents are very unrelated subjects. My point is, since it travels at at a slow velocity and is breakable, its not hard to bypass if your opponent has good mobility and/or disjoints. Again, I am not speaking of overall utility, I am speaking solely about camping.

Gunmen are used to shield you from projectiles like Samus's laser and missiles, Link's bombs and boomerang, Megamans smash, etc. They also are used to rack up quick damage and/or force your opponent to go into the air. Which brings me to Duck Hunts air game. The back air is deadly, the forward air has good knockback, and the up air is one of Duck Hunts best killing options, no Duck Hunt user can deny that.

Once again, his aerial game has no correlation with the point of my post. And on a side note, while the gunmen can block those things....

Samus' missiles kill the gunmen in a single hit just one hit, and she has a faster rate of fire in her projectiles than Duck Hunt does. As far as camping and zoning go, Samus is still technically better at said projectiles zoning than he is.

Link's Bombs and Boomerangs OHKO them too. And again, when it comes to camping, Link is still better at this. Just saying.

It is true that Gunmen block Charge Shots and a few of Mega's other projectiles, but Why would Megaman need his Fsmash against Duck Hunt? The Metal Blades pierce right through the gunmen and still hit Duck Hunt, those are your real problem in this matchup; not the Charge Shot.

And this... Duck Hunt takes skill to get good with and he isn't even your main so you don't use him as much as me and other Duck Hunt users. I am sorry but that is a silly post.

First of all, nowhere in my post did I say I do that stuff when I play Duck Hunt, I don't camp with him unless its a heavy or someone with bad approach options. Heck, I didn't even say my analysis came from my own experience with him. Secondly, so what if I don't main him? I don't have to main the character just to know all those things about him. While I do not necessarily main Duck Hunt or consider myself amazing with him, I do in fact play this character quite a lot in general and
I use him quite enough to almost consider him my secondary, I'm pretty sure I've had at least over 120 games with him to date and I go to him pretty often in my local scene with good success so far. And although I'm certain my main is Greninja, I don't even actually have a definitive secondary since I'm still struggling to pick between 3 characters I like the most: Its between :4sonic:, :4megaman:, and of course :4duckhunt: himself. If multiple characters count, I kind of have Duck Hunt as a sidekick character and I've played him well enough to get at least a good idea of how he works, and quite a few people in my scene seem to be impressed with mine. Pretty much everything you've told me is stuff I already know too.

And I don't wanna start a fight here, but if you're gonna make such a remark you should at least have actually seen me play or faced off against me yourself, and I highly doubt either scenario has happened. Besides, its not like just playing Duck Hunt is the only thing that matters, these are also important:
  • Experience against him
  • Talking to others who lay him (some DH players themselves have even told me he's not that good at camping)
  • Watching high level ones.
If that's not enough, I could still go on, but I'm a little busy right now and I think I've made my point clear enough: His projectiles are great for many things, but projectile camping is not one of them. I said it before, I'll say it again, unless its a heavy or someone who can't approach, Duck Hunt as a long range zoner doesn't really work out right and isn't good enough to be the core of his gameplan. I don't consider myself amazing with him by any means, but I still have a fair understanding of him even without being my #1 character.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Duck Hunt camping is there to annoy the other player long enough to make him do really dumb things when you're in the pocket.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
^ You can do that by going on the offense too though. Shorthopping towards them while using gunmen or clay pigeon, and jumping towards them with a can being shot, baits reactions just as easily if not more. I prefer approaching them myself while chasing after my own projectiles, personally so I give them 2 things to worry about:
  • Me coming towards them myself
  • Projectiles heading their way
I find it easier putting pressure on them when I'm coming after them with active hitboxes near me to threaten them into doing something dumb since I'm more intimidating from that range, and then I'm close enough to punish whatever they do. Also makes approaching way easier. Intimidation is also how I like playing :4sonic: (probably why I'm having a hard time choosing who I like best) too; feigning like I'm going to come to people until they mess up. Best approach is pretending to approach, and its fun since they don't get any time to think.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Depends on the temperament of the opponent, I'd wager.

That and sometimes a player stands to be chilled out a littlle while you rack up a little damage. I'm not advocating hanging onto it, just going to it from time to time.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Is diddy's dthrow to uair a true true combo around 90%? Seems like every direction DI I to, he keeps getting me. Is there a way to escape this? (I have no trouble avoiding the uair as other characters).

Oh, I also I got 9th out of 36 with dhd last week :)

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, using all your shots on a can that's mid-air will cause it to use the pre-explosion animation, fall straight down and explode on contact. Otherwise, can always has the same fall speed afaik.

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
So I am currently deciding between Duck Hunt and Toon Link as one of my main characters. What are some things that separate the two and how should I decide? From what I understand, Duck Hunt is better in the camping and projectile area and has melee moves mainly for getting opponents back into a favorable position, while Toon Link has more feasible melee moves thanks to his sword. Is this a correct assumption, or am I missing something?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
So I am currently deciding between Duck Hunt and Toon Link as one of my main characters. What are some things that separate the two and how should I decide? From what I understand, Duck Hunt is better in the camping and projectile area and has melee moves mainly for getting opponents back into a favorable position, while Toon Link has more feasible melee moves thanks to his sword. Is this a correct assumption, or am I missing something?
I was under the assumption Toon Link was better at camping. To be honest, Doggy isn't a huge camper, most dogs use projectiles to lead into follow ups, strings can last quite a while when you get the right first hit.

Arc Quilava

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snowboos
3DS FC
0748-3092-2840
Switch FC
7015-6523-1723
I was under the assumption Toon Link was better at camping. To be honest, Doggy isn't a huge camper, most dogs use projectiles to lead into follow ups, strings can last quite a while when you get the right first hit.
Oh, perhaps I'm misunderstanding a bit how Duck Hunt works. I guess I'll look deeper into how he works with some guides before I make a decision.

_Screech_

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2208-5261-0941
ive had duckhunt as a secondary for a while now like since smash4 came out and i havent been focused on whether or not he would be useful in a doubles match, i have people telling me that i should make duckhunt my main, but i wanna know how good he is for doubles?

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Question: What is his jumpsquat?

Frame data thread doesn't have it and I can't find it anywhere. I ask this because I mainly play Pacman and G&W, and short hopping with DHD is noticeably more difficult than my other characters when I'm trying to short hop dair. The good guys at http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/PAC-MAN say Pac's got a 5-frame jumpsquat, and 4 is the lowest # of frames I know for jumpsquats, so I'm assuming it's a 4 frame jumpsquat.

Does anyone have the number?

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm being told that Duck Hunt's Smashes increase in size as they're charged. Can someone confirm or disconfirm that for me?

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
I'm being told that Duck Hunt's Smashes increase in size as they're charged. Can someone confirm or disconfirm that for me?
Duck Hunt's smash attacks increase in distance the more they are charged. To compensate for this, the hit-boxes closest to Duck Hunt are pushed farther away. A fully charge f-smash can travel farther than a normal f-smash but will have a blind-spot next to Duck Hunt.

NouveauRétro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Royal_Bros.
Toon Link can work the same way though, thanks to his speed. I would say DHD is the better camper because of can. DHD doesn't always have to use projectiles to approach. Most importantly, his projectiles are way better on shield than T. Link's, which can be perfect shielded (offline, I guess) with frame advantage to you generally.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Greetings, DH boards. I don't play your character, per-say, but I do play Pac-Man. Why do I ask this?

How do I fight Duck Hunt with Pac-Man? It's a character I've..well, never really PLAYED against, at least a competent Duck Hunt. I faced one at a weekly a few weeks ago and he curbstomped me, as I had no idea how to fight the character. Would Mario be a better choice against Duck Hunt? How should I go about facing Duck Hunt with Pac-Man?

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Allow me to begin by quoting myself from a thread in the Pac-Man character boards:
Against :4duckhunt:, Galaga ship (?), Bell, and Key will beat ALL of DH's projectiles, letting you get in on him. Every Fruit between Cherry & Melon, however, lose to all of DH's projectiles.
Your namesake, Galaxian, is what you'll want to charge up to, at least, for....

Another quote from myself in another thread in the Pac-Man boards regarding this MU from DH's perspective:
Perhaps :4duckhunt: has what it takes? Any fruit between Cherry and Melon are going to be blocked by the dog's Gunmen, Cans, and Clays. Said blocked Fruit will also be up for grabs once it collides with your arsenal, especially Gunmen, due to its quick & low endlag. Do note that you'll have to dash or air attack it to pick it up, otherwise said blocked Fruit will still hit you. However, as soon as Pac-Man reaches Galaxian Ship (?), consider your projectile shields ripe for piercing. Hydrants knocked your way will also pierce your entire arsenal. The water from Hydrants will simply pass through your arsenal without messing with any of them.

If you DO catch a Fruit, you can try to hold on to it as long as you can to deny him the ability to throw any more Fruits. Of course, by doing so, you'll also deny yourself the ability to use any A button attacks (including Smashes!) and grabs as well. As the canine, your overall mobility is pretty good (you can even crawl & wall-jump!), and you'll still get to chuck Cans, Gunmen, and especially Clays. These will become your main sources of damage dealing if you decide to hold on the Fruit, because without his Fruit, he'll likely try to approach you, especially once he sends the Hydrant flying your way. Hitting him out of Power Pellet before he eats it by hitting the Pellet itself will allow you a chance to heal yourself a bit from the Pellet he drops. If you're still holding on to a Fruit when you try to go pick up the Pellet, you may have to throw it away in order to heal yourself with the Pellet. If there's a way to pick up the Pellet without having to throw away the Fruit first, please let me know. Trampoline will beat your Can, which is one way he'll defend himself against your edgeguards. A DH without access to A moves & grabs (due to holding on to Fruit) will have to play a ranged game like Marth, and possibly even counter-camp.
And a quote from xzx from the same thread as the above quote from me that I liked:
Hey Splooshie Splashy, you can Z-drop the Bonus Fruit, then eat the Power Pellet, then regrab the Bonus Fruit.
If you really want to safely chuck any Fruit between Cherry & Melon, 1. KO the Gunmen, 2. Get past the Can, and 3. Be close enough for Clay to be too risky for the dog's comfort. Power Pellets are one option for accomplishing this, as are Trampolines, Hydrants, powershields, jumps, spotdodges, and rolls. As the above quote may imply, if the dog's carrying your Fruit, you're in trouble.

Definitely try to get in on him, since that's probably the hardest part of this MU for Pac. If the dog player's upclose game is any good, you'd better get ready for a slugfest with his FAirs (his longest range melee move), NAirs, FTilt, 6 frame DTilt, and 4 frame Jab. If/Once you do get in, in terms of sheer speed, however, you win, due to your generally faster A button moves, particularly your 4 frame FTilt, your seemingly spammable FAir (ala Luigi), and your low cooldown Dash Attack (which can push away Cans). Your KO moves are more reliable than his, and you can go deeper for the edgeguards against him than he can against you, even with wall-jumps off of walls, which the both of you are capable of.

Mario's a decent pick against the dog, but his recovery is not as good as Pac-Man's, and Cape is not as effective against his arsenal as it would be against other projectiles. This MU is not bad enough for a Pac-Man to switch to someone else. Pac's got more tools to approach than oh say Bowser & Ganondorf & King Dedede w/out customs, which you should be thankful for. If you REALLY want to switch to someone else despite this intel, I'd personally recommend Bowser Jr.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Hey all, switching more and more from a Jiggs main to a Duck Hunt main every tournament, so I'm getting myself familiarized with these boards.

Do we have info on when exactly upThrow kills factoring in rage and stage ceiling heights? I think being able to estimate when it will kill, rather than just blind guessing every time would be a big help to my game. So if we don't have that information, should we get it?

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
Hey all, switching more and more from a Jiggs main to a Duck Hunt main every tournament, so I'm getting myself familiarized with these boards.

Do we have info on when exactly upThrow kills factoring in rage and stage ceiling heights? I think being able to estimate when it will kill, rather than just blind guessing every time would be a big help to my game. So if we don't have that information, should we get it?
To my knowledge no one has posted up-throw % kill data for Duck Hunt yet. Were kinda behind on that.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I would volunteer to do so, but I don't have a WiiU so testing rage isn't possible for me. I can try and test when I'm out at events if no one feels up to testing this.

Blumiere

Professional Can Pilot
Just curious..

a few other characters seem to have a dedicated Skype group. Does Duck Hunt have one?

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
I'm going to get a Wii U next month and after messing around with a bunch of characters on the 3DS version, I've taken a liking to Duck Hunt. I was reading around the boards and watching videos and I see that the duck version of the jab is considered to be a kill move, but no matter how fast or slow I tried to jab on the 3DS, I always get the dog version of the jab. Is there any specific way to do it or is it just the unreliability of the 3DS' input? I seem to be able to do it on 3/4 time on Training Mode but on normal, I feel like I can't keep up with the jabbing.

Other than that, I feel like I can use DH pretty well and I can't wait to use them with a controller I feel more comfortable with. Thank you for all the helpful threads!

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Duck Hunt players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Duck Hunt and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

Clashcmj

Smash Rookie
hey guys my old main isn't working out so I'm gonna transition to DH. I like his pressure and traps he can set. I have a few questions. What are his best ground attacks and pokes? Also once the opponent is air born what's my moves in the air. What's also the best way to approach on a short hop?
He does really good agains melee characters like the fire emblem crew by dropping a can and then when they get close shoot it and it will pop up and hit them and use this at high percentage to juggle them

Top Bottom