• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important "Obedience School" - Duck Hunt Q&A Thread/FAQ/Directory

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I'd be interested in a Skype group, seems like it'd be a cool way to pool together finds and discuss certain MUs, as well as just finding other players.

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
So, is this the place that I would go to if I was wanting help on going against Duck Hunt (I'm a Falcon main, by the way.)

No matter who I seem to play as, I just can't beat the dog....whether it's a person or CPU...

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I'm not sure if this is a good thing to do, but when i played duck hunt, i used his down-b to get a free grab, since most people shield when duck hunt uses that. so is that a good thing to do?

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I'm not sure if this is a good thing to do, but when i played duck hunt, i used his down-b to get a free grab, since most people shield when duck hunt uses that. so is that a good thing to do?
Duck Hunt 101, definitely good. You can get the same effect inching a can closer while someone sits in shield.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
So, is this the place that I would go to if I was wanting help on going against Duck Hunt (I'm a Falcon main, by the way.)

No matter who I seem to play as, I just can't beat the dog....whether it's a person or CPU...
You can contact and fight Doggy mains here or go to the skype group (if you wanna PM me your skype ID and I'll add ya to the group).

You can also feel free to ask questions here or on the metagame forum! =]

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
FThrow -> Dash Attack usually combos at super low percents (like, 0%) and depending how the opponent reacts, you can follow up with a fair and get around 28%~ damage. Using clay pigeons and gunmen is a good way to start a combo too (yesterday I got gunmen into Dair spike confirm). If I recall correctly, Utilt can combo into itself at low percents and then you can follow up with a Uair chain by using both of your jumps in between attacks. Low to mid percent has DThrow combos where you can either Uair or charge a FSmash depending if you think your opponent will air dodge (the latter) or not (the former).

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
What can Duck Hunt get out of a throw?
Down throw into switch to a top tier is a true combo at all percents.

You can also use upthrow into cry yourself to sleep at night at low percents.

F-Throw reliably connects into dash attacks at low percents, and fair until very high percents. U-Throw kills at around 200% (without rage). D-throw can lead into u-air or nair if you read the DI and airdodge, but only at low percents.

Furret24

Smash Master
Down throw into switch to a top tier is a true combo at all percents.

You can also use upthrow into cry yourself to sleep at night at low percents.

F-Throw reliably connects into dash attacks at low percents, and fair until very high percents. U-Throw kills at around 200% (without rage). D-throw can lead into u-air or nair if you read the DI and airdodge, but only at low percents.
I'm not very experienced with Duck Hunt terminology.Could you tell me what "switch to a top tier" and "cry yourself to sleep at night" translate to in Smashese? Unless i'm missing some random joke or something.

I'm going to use more fthrow now. 18% easy (not really) damage sounds quite nice.
:gawmelee:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Can at roll length while throwing a smash buffered disc into it so both sit still, while you yourself wait to catch the opponent or slap them from the ledge. Can in general is good onstage, sometimes off.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
How good is Up throw to up air as a kill setup?

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
How good is Up throw to up air as a kill setup?
Duck Hunts throws are primarily designed around the can, so aside from the usual f-throw into dash attack/fair, Duck Hunts up-throw don't lead into aerials very well at all.

[SKS] Yung Lamppost

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yung-Lamppost
3DS FC
2122-8762-7129
Does DHD need a secondary? If yes wich charakter would you recomend?
Considering Duck Hunt has a pretty poor matchup spread, you're most likely going to need a secondary. If you're looking for a secondary who has a similiar playstyle villager is your best option. Any other choice for secondary should be a top tier who plays well against duck hunts poor matchups.

Shram

Smash Cadet
Can I ask why people used to think that DHD was op? I don't remember him receiving any major nerfs.
I'm almost wishing that him, bowser, and little Mac were as good as they were originally considered.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Can I ask why people used to think that DHD was op? I don't remember him receiving any major nerfs.
I'm almost wishing that him, bowser, and little Mac were as good as they were originally considered.
I think it was just because it was difficult to deal with his projectiles at first, specially on 3DS.

verbatim

Smash Ace
@DunnoBro. It's my understanding that you used to play Duck Hunt Dog in the past and are currently playing Mario a lot in tours so I thought I'd ask you, what do you think of the Mario vs Duck Hunt matchup?

A high ranking Mario/Fox player in my region (Chicago) claims that Mario doesn't do well in the matchup because Duck Hunt can outpace him in a way that he can't do when Fox rushes him down. It seemed kind of weird to hear at first but I kind of see his logic and feel like using the can to break out of enemy grabs would be really helpful against someone as grab dependent as Mario, but I'm not that familiar with DHD as a character.

I'm also curious about ZSS vs DHD because of this, but I feel like that one's probably a lot more rough.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
So what is the spacing for hitting the can backwards with dash attack? I can't seems to get consistently.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
The dog's butt (technically, the rising back leg animation). Something that helps me is imagining that you want to dash attack the thing directly in front of the can, as the ducks beak will hit the invisible target you're wanting to hit while the dog's butt will collide into the can, thus sending it backwards. Think of Duck Hunt like two "can hitters": whatever the duck hits will be sent forward, and for the dog, backwards.

Here are some links to help:

The Dash: http://i.imgur.com/Gp9dvip.jpg
"Two Can Hitters": http://i.imgur.com/Le3gBV0.png
Can + Dash Placement: http://i.imgur.com/PXLeyVo.jpg

If you look at these images closely, you'll see that, as the dog performs the dash attack, it lifts its back leg as he trips. That's the actual reason for the can to rise the way it does. With the third image's example, if you imagine there's the target right in front of the can, you should get your going backwards more consistently! Hope it helps!

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Ohh I see it's like a butt hitbox. I just thought you had to time it with the sour frames of dash attack; thanks.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
In training mode I tested how far DHD's roll-canceled grab could reach on Mario.
http://smashboards.com/threads/roll-cancel-grabs.371874/
As it would turn out, this literally doubles how far you can grab someone from. Not exactly Samus material, but I think it could help more experienced players than me. Maybe you could condition the enemy into expecting a N-Air and fastfall for the grab?

Furret24

Smash Master
You get kills with Cans at 180%.

Being serious, I get my kills with bair, uair, fsmash, offstage Cans, nair, and, if I'm lucky, a dair spike.
:162:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Yeah, uair, nair and bair are the ones I should be using most. Also, uptilt but that hitbox is deceiving.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
Just wondered lately. Is Duck Hunt good to use against players that seem to perfect shield almost everything?

A couple of weeks ago, I fought a cocky Gannondorf player online with some of my mains who always seemed to perfect shield my projectiles and made it difficult to grab him and at times approach if I remember. And always taunted when taking my stock and winning. Then I decided to take a chance with Duck Hunt and I won without losing a stock. He seemed helpless, while I threw everything at him at once and was able to grab while he blocked my other projectiles.

I think I did the same thing to a Mewtwo player also, who couldn't keep up with reflecting more than 1 thing at a time.

Or was it that these guys weren't used to fighting Duck Hunt, since there's not that many Duck Hunt players online?

[SKS] Yung Lamppost

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yung-Lamppost
3DS FC
2122-8762-7129
Just wondered lately. Is Duck Hunt good to use against players that seem to perfect shield almost everything?

A couple of weeks ago, I fought a cocky Gannondorf player online with some of my mains who always seemed to perfect shield my projectiles and made it difficult to grab him and at times approach if I remember. And always taunted when taking my stock and winning. Then I decided to take a chance with Duck Hunt and I won without losing a stock. He seemed helpless, while I threw everything at him at once and was able to grab while he blocked my other projectiles.

I think I did the same thing to a Mewtwo player also, who couldn't keep up with reflecting more than 1 thing at a time.

Or was it that these guys weren't used to fighting Duck Hunt, since there's not that many Duck Hunt players online?
Chances are he was just overwhelmed by the projectiles or he just didn't know how to play the mu. Duck Hunt is also one of Ganon's harder mu's to play. Usually perfect shields beat out dh pretty hard

Last edited:

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Surprise! Someone who asked a question about a couple of months ago is here to be more uncultured!

I have some questions about the DHD...

For once, other than throwing the opponent into the can, what other forms of combos does he have, just B&B and certain ones on different fall speeds/weights would also be helpful!

What are some of the things you should practice the most when playing the Duck Hunt Dog?

What are his best OOS options?

I have a feeling I know the answers to this but what are his best Kill Setups and moves?

What sort of advanced techs does the DHD have, if any?

And who should I study if I want to learn DHD? The only name that comes to mind is Dandy Penguin, are there any others that I should watch and study?

Oh, BTW, what MUs are the worst for DHD?

Thanks a million!
<3

:ness:

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Surprise! Someone who asked a question about a couple of months ago is here to be more uncultured!

I have some questions about the DHD...

For once, other than throwing the opponent into the can, what other forms of combos does he have, just B&B and certain ones on different fall speeds/weights would also be helpful!

What are some of the things you should practice the most when playing the Duck Hunt Dog?

What are his best OOS options?

I have a feeling I know the answers to this but what are his best Kill Setups and moves?

What sort of advanced techs does the DHD have, if any?

And who should I study if I want to learn DHD? The only name that comes to mind is Dandy Penguin, are there any others that I should watch and study?

Oh, BTW, what MUs are the worst for DHD?

Thanks a million!
<3

:ness:

0% FThrow into Dash Attack/FAir chains (weight dependent), low percent UTilt into more UTilts or UAir/Nair, and gunmen/can/frisbee combo into basically any aerial if you know the knockback of the moves.

Practicing hitting the can all the time to learn where it goes (remember that the more you move it, the smaller the distance itll be sent) Short hop back airs to hit it, same with sweet spot and sour spot dash attacks. Learn the differences between each gunman and practice remembering its properties once you send one out. Practice B Reverse Can & Gunmen. With Gunmen, you can B Reverse to propell yourself forwards or backwards. Lastly, fox trotting. I'll explain below.

NAir and Jab are DHs best OoS options. Can is good too bc it can break a combo and reset the situation.

Back Air a Can and itll send the opponent towards the opposite direction if it hits them. This is most likely the direction you are in. As soon as you see it hit them, jump and Up Air. That's one of DHs best kill confirms. Others include Frisbee (after shooting it) & Gunmen into Nair or UAir. Catching rolls with UTilt is cool too. Put the opponent in the air, learn their air dodge habits, and UAir. Duck Hunt's BEST kill option though is frame trapping. Put a Can in their space while theyre in the air, force them to air dodge, and catch them with the UAir.

The best Duck Hunt tech are knowing the trajectories of where you hit the Can, being able to follow-up-after-any-special, and lastly, fox trotting with the Can. By fox trotting and inputting B between dashes, you can keep the Can near you at all times. This is good for more aggressive match ups where you cant space well. Use the Can as a shield and combo breaker. Also, Cans can block stuff like Charge Shot and Shadow Ball.

The best Duck Hunt as of right now is Yousan/You3 from Japan. Brood is cool too, also from Japan.

The worst match ups are those who get in fast and capitalize your slow specials and bad recovery. Pikachu, Sonic, Little Mac, Fox, etc.

Last edited:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
Lol been over a year since there was a post here. Anyways, what are the best ways to handle DH's projectiles? Namely the can? I seem to have a pretty good grasp on down b since it has a timer and can be stopped by hitting the gunmen but the pigeon and the can still give me trouble. I know they can both be hit but I'm pretty sure if DH presses B to have the pigeon shot, you can still get hit by the shots even if you hit it and my issue with the can is really just it being similar to luma. If you're near it and DH presses B, it explodes on you, you can shield but then DH can choose to not shoot the can and can pressure your shield. Not entirely sure on how hitting it works, like if Ganon uairs or fairs it or whatever can he still get hit by the explosion? I'd get it more with characters like Marth or Mewtwo who have disjoints but when you have a hitbox and hurtbox overlap, I'm not sure if it's safe to attack the can to get rid of it/ send it back at DH.

Top Bottom