• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oasis Mafia - Over!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I know you're tired of debating this with Laser, but I'll confirm in case a second opinion helps your perspective. The emoji thing is almost a direct reference to a tactic I used D1 in a game on our forum. And it did work for me, I caught scum. Laser has never tried it, but is an ambitious learner. So town Laser certainly would consider doing it here. Scum laser would consider it too, so I don't give it a lot of weight, but I don't think you should consider it scummy even if it was irritating.
Interesting feedback but thank you. I’m curious though how did it catch scum? Because again a townie’s anger and scum’s anger will be the same. But regardless that wasn’t my focus and I’m still reevaluating the players I haven’t really played with today to try and better my understanding of them.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Vote Count 2.3

UP (3) - Boom, Wisp, Sabrar [L-2]

Boom (2) - Ran, UP

Laser (2) - Z25, Jack

Jack (1) - Laser

Z25 (1) - Chu

Not Voting (0)
P33-P38
UP #Z25
Wisp #Boom
Boom #UP
Ran #Boom
Laser #Jack
Z25 #Laser
Jack #Laser
Ran #Unv

P39-P40
Ran #Boom
UP #Boom
Up #Unv
Up #Boom

P41-P44
Chu #Z25
Wisp #UP
Sabrar #UP

Notes
None

Players and Events
Link

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to execute!

Day 2 Ends: Tuesday, April 28, 2020, 11:59 pm

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I think it's intentional. Do you think he's trying to save a buddy?
I’d say it’s probably intentional as well. The underline really sells it imo.

If he is trying to save a mate, why risk that day two? I could only see him pull it off or try it if it’s someone he really thinks could pull it around and win. But who would that be? Maybe Pokechu but I’m not sure. I can’t see Scum Up create a misdirection unless he had a good plan worked out that could change things for the scum team.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Has he done this in Flavorless Mafia III or in any other games? To this extent?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Has he done this in Flavorless Mafia III or in any other games? To this extent?
Not off the top of my head. Closest was in Sorcerer where he went and drew a l out of bad attention by trying to attract a lynch and repeatedly going and tagging me and rax because he wanted us to know he was the town traitor. Which attracted a lot of bad attention and got him lynched and was part of why we lost.

So he has tried a tactic similar when on a mafia “team” of sorts.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
I see the perspective of why Sabrar likes no conclusion, but if LG is experienced enough with Boom, then there is no good reason for them to not have a strong read on the slot imo one or another. Which iirc they’ve played a good amount of times together. So that’s odd but it can still come from a townie perspective I won’t deny that.
On my forum it is well know that I am almost impossible to catch as scum. My town game is manipulative and my scum game is the same. I'm generally only caught by PoE, and my general advice is to lynch me D3 if I haven't caught scum yet.

Those posts he’s made about betting his slot over the lives of others doesn’t look good. It’s something a new player could make a mistake of, not something I think an Experienced player would wager though due to how bad that usually backfired and it’s something that can be scum motivated and wipe townies out through mislynches easier.
I'm not betting my life, I'm begging a stay of execution. If I'm actually wrong about UP then I 100% will be lynched at some point and it's better that it happens right away instead of at Mylo.

Interesting feedback but thank you. I’m curious though how did it catch scum? Because again a townie’s anger and scum’s anger will be the same.
I started writing it out but I can't remember the details. Two similar games are blurring together. I think the scum player (Peaceful Whale) was too noob to understand what was going on and should have been suspicious of me, but he played along anyway which showed TMI. Over the three games I did something similar it mostly only caught noob scum. But it also helped me get town reads on some people.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
On my forum it is well know that I am almost impossible to catch as scum. My town game is manipulative and my scum game is the same. I'm generally only caught by PoE, and my general advice is to lynch me D3 if I haven't caught scum yet.

I'm not betting my life, I'm begging a stay of execution. If I'm actually wrong about UP then I 100% will be lynched at some point and it's better that it happens right away instead of at Mylo.

I started writing it out but I can't remember the details. Two similar games are blurring together. I think the scum player (Peaceful Whale) was too noob to understand what was going on and should have been suspicious of me, but he played along anyway which showed TMI. Over the three games I did something similar it mostly only caught noob scum. But it also helped me get town reads on some people.
Even so though if your town, that’s another mislych if your pact was a thing. Which is bad as scum could easy control that scenario and push another mislynch which could put us in a very rough patch late game. So it’s a bad gambit no matter what

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
I agree that scenario is nigh a loss for town. But in that scenario UP is town and we are in a very bad situation already.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Sabrar Sabrar Are you still reviewing reads? If so that's fine. Just want to know where your head is at. Would be nice to have an ordered list when you are done.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
No, I'm not doing that currently. UP is scum, Pokechu is deeply tied to him. My preferred lynch order is UP > Pokechu >Boom > Jack. I'm confident that would give us the win.

Town
Ran
Wiisp
Z25
LG
Jack
Boom
Pokechu
UP
Scum

I had indie suspicions on Wiisp before because I thought he might be a Lyncher for me (he aggressively searched for ExLIght and cast shade on me immediately after I claimed). I no longer think that that is the case.

Wiisp

Smash Lord
first off I did not desperately search for Exlight
There is a reason why I did that
and I didn't expect you to actually true claim

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I definitely think Poy needs to be lynched today. At least Boom's trying. Poy's just being coy (rhymes!) and doesn't even care at this point. Hasn't bothered to respond to my post about him. I liked him before because I preferred what he was saying in Poy vs. Sab but I'm starting to think that was a mistake.

Boom's trying. Not sure what to make of his whole betting, like keeping him around an extra day and killing Poy first. I don't see how it could be anything other than NAI. Willing to listen to it though because he's still here, Poy isn't. And I feel like extra time to read this slot would be great. Would be great to try to reread D1 and see what I can get about Boom from there. I actually don't think his OMGUS vote on Poyzin is that bad because I feel like scum could come up with far better? Like why would they need to scoop so low in order to generate content? Especially someone who seems to have a lot of experience. Like is that all they could come up with? Don't disagree it's still a little weird though...

Boom's D2 content is not bad but just unconvincing and I'm kind of confused how he brings up his reputation from his prior site, that he usually was getting out scum, but this game he's exclusively using PoE because everyone's looking good (save for Poyzin and myself). Falls under the 'lack of scumhunting' and weird overall but I think Poy still needs to go first.
Well this is only 75% done but is apparently a ****ing waste of time so I'm not going to finish it. Hopefully someone finds some value.

Why wiisp is town and I knew it D1:

Scum-wiisp doesn't have this thought. They won't have the perspective to think how rough scum has it this game because they will be thinking about how well they are actually doing.

Scum-wiisp would not be annoyed at Maven. (Unless Maven was a scum-buddy but that probably wouldn't be said in public chat)

I recall a good post where wiisp was really frusterated about the state of the game late D1 what we were spinning our weels. Frusteration like that is hard to fake. I seemed to have skipped it somehow in my ISO and I'm not going back for it considering this is of questionable value anyway.

Scum-wiisp probably doesn't challenge this unfounded positive read.

And certainly doesn't follow up so hard.
"Scum-wiisp doesn't have this thought. They won't have the perspective to think how rough scum has it this game because they will be thinking about how well they are actually doing."

Could you explain this though? Why wouldn't scum!Wiisp potentially comment on this? I feel like this is WIFOM. I know there was one game I was scum and throughout all the phases every time someone said "scum don't kill me because XYZ" (like they were really getting into the game or they were advancing their reads) I would quote it and say "wish granted ;)" I was chill tho and actually listened. I didn't kill 'em

Like scum can definitely be cheeky like that. You haven't played with Wiisp before, have you? If you have, have you seen him make moves like that?

This specific post is a little empty but it shows that Boom's at least attempting to piece things together (and it was 75% done). It falls more under defense and not really scumhunting but still more than what Poy can say lmao
Pokechu Pokechu That's why I mentioned it was slight town. It was a unique push, and it was along with them being active. That's it really. Why do you think it isn't alignment indicative?
It isn't something that exclusively comes from a town perspective. It was number 170 so still in pretty early in the game, kind of exiting RVS because I think Laser brought the game out page 4 with his analysis post and this vote was page 5. But it seems like something scum could do to buss each other (obviously I don't think that's the team though) and the observation doesn't go very deep. Seems more like a policy vote than anything ("passive and not giving views") and it's called policy vote for a reason. Don't they disregard alignment? LOL

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
AWWW I forgot to make the rest of my text white!!! I saw Laser's post that my pink hurts his eyes

Here you go!

I definitely think Poy needs to be lynched today. At least Boom's trying. Poy's just being coy (rhymes!) and doesn't even care at this point. Hasn't bothered to respond to my post about him. I liked him before because I preferred what he was saying in Poy vs. Sab but I'm starting to think that was a mistake.

Boom's trying. Not sure what to make of his whole betting, like keeping him around an extra day and killing Poy first. I don't see how it could be anything other than NAI. Willing to listen to it though because he's still here, Poy isn't. And I feel like extra time to read this slot would be great. Would be great to try to reread D1 and see what I can get about Boom from there. I actually don't think his OMGUS vote on Poyzin is that bad because I feel like scum could come up with far better? Like why would they need to scoop so low in order to generate content? Especially someone who seems to have a lot of experience. Like is that all they could come up with? Don't disagree it's still a little weird though...

Boom's D2 content is not bad but just unconvincing and I'm kind of confused how he brings up his reputation from his prior site, that he usually was getting out scum, but this game he's exclusively using PoE because everyone's looking good (save for Poyzin and myself). Falls under the 'lack of scumhunting' and weird overall but I think Poy still needs to go first.

"Scum-wiisp doesn't have this thought. They won't have the perspective to think how rough scum has it this game because they will be thinking about how well they are actually doing."

Could you explain this though? Why wouldn't scum!Wiisp potentially comment on this? I feel like this is WIFOM. I know there was one game I was scum and throughout all the phases every time someone said "scum don't kill me because XYZ" (like they were really getting into the game or they were advancing their reads) I would quote it and say "wish granted ;)" I was chill tho and actually listened. I didn't kill 'em

Like scum can definitely be cheeky like that. You haven't played with Wiisp before, have you? If you have, have you seen him make moves like that?

This specific post is a little empty but it shows that Boom's at least attempting to piece things together (and it was 75% done). It falls more under defense and not really scumhunting but still more than what Poy can say lmao

It isn't something that exclusively comes from a town perspective. It was number 170 so still in pretty early in the game, kind of exiting RVS because I think Laser brought the game out page 4 with his analysis post and this vote was page 5. But it seems like something scum could do to buss each other (obviously I don't think that's the team though) and the observation doesn't go very deep. Seems more like a policy vote than anything ("passive and not giving views") and it's called policy vote for a reason. Don't they disregard alignment? LOL

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Sabrar Sabrar Since when did Pokechu become deeply tied to UP for you? Why are they a priority to Boom?

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
I'll make you a deal.
If UP flips town and you and wiisp both vote me D3 I'll vote myself.
This is very WIFOMy even by your standards.

I have major issue with this in my reread the last time he mentions me I'm more town with Wisp today starts I have done nothing else really but suddenly their top scum this makes no sense to me. The only thing that changed is that Pokechu created a world where I'm scum off one interaction and the whole game is based around me in their reads.
In my last D1 reads I had you as null-scum. I liked the last few pages of you in D1, but had to re-evaluate a number of players after the flip. Your vote on the wagon stood out as the most likely suspicious one, especially given your earlier interactions with 3DS.

His reads are so different from the day before its not normal
I actually do this quite frequently between day phases, but I won't hold it against you for finding it suspicious. I'm not sure if I've ever completely reversed a reads list within a day or night phase, but I've come pretty close once or twice.

He mostly just shows up with a post or two and leaves.He hasn’t contributed as much as I think he could or should given there’s a lot he can talk about.
I am probably just going to start voting people if who obviously don't read my content and just complain that I can't monitor the thread constantly. But. For the last time. I have a very narrow window of hours in the day that I can post. Yes, I will try to catch up on a day's worth of posts and condense my thoughts into a post or two and leave, because the only alternative is for me to ask for a replacement. This isn't dependent on my alignment. It's mostly dependent on my children.

Not commenting in things when asked like the Boom Discussions he was asked about.
I commented when asked about it. Ran's complaint is that I didn't comment on it without being asked.

Combined with a very odd tactic it’s just as out of norm as Up’s role is. Which strikes me as weird behavior and I still strongly disagree with the reasoning for the emoji usage and can’t see town doing it. If I’m wrong then I’m wrong but that’s my thoughts given past mafia experiences and seeing or being in similar circumstances
I've already explained the Town motivation for doing so on several occasions. But I'll accept that this may just be a forum meta difference and move on.

First point here is fair, but again voting for Jack and saying all my content looks bad to them is weird. They had two pints on Jack, if everything about my slot was bad to then why not vote me then?
I felt all of your content D2 up to that point was bad, yes. Pretty much the only thing that you were doing was trying to extract info about power roles and mechanics. Which is often scummy, but bad Town does this too sometimes. I liked most of your content in D1. I didn't have you below Jack. My ordered list at the time was in #1459, posted maybe 15 minutes after the post you're referencing.

They also list Maven and Up as their radar as well. Which you could argue the intent their is either throwing names out but then choosing someone completely different for their vote, or you could argue these are genuine reads. But the manner in which each is discussed feels out of place in a Jack centric post. Could be a townie laying out all kinds of suspects or scum lining up potential lynch targets. But that requires their mate(s) to be able to pull that off, so it’s probably the former. But still painting me as looking worse then not voting me sticks out here.
The context is Ran asked me who I thought was scum. At the time I felt Jack was most likely, but I listed the other people that I was thinking about as possibilities at the time.

I see the perspective of why Sabrar likes no conclusion, but if LG is experienced enough with Boom, then there is no good reason for them to not have a strong read on the slot imo one or another. Which iirc they’ve played a good amount of times together. So that’s odd but it can still come from a townie perspective I won’t deny that.
BoomFrog is a very strong player and is difficult to read as either alignment. I've played maybe a dozen games with him and I'm pretty sure there's only been one or two of those where I've been able to get a strong, correct read on him this early in the game. In one of the last games we played on xkcd before the site shut down, we were so concerned about BoomFrog that, if I remember correctly, the cop ended up having to clear him twice.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
Sabrar Sabrar Since when did Pokechu become deeply tied to UP for you? Why are they a priority to Boom?
Since I reread #1421 again and since I became sure about UP last night.

Poy's done some really really good stuff but some really really bad stuff. I don't like how he disappeared halfway through D1 but he did something similar in Flavorless so I'm willing to look past it for now. I also think that his roleclaim gives him a lot more credibility as I couldn't see that role for scum. But crazier things have happened!
UP is second most townie while doing 'really really bad stuff'. Doing good stuff while scum is much easier than doing bad stuff as scum if you're experienced enough.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
LaserGuy LaserGuy Can I have an ordered list? Thoughts on Sabrars play D2?

Wiisp Wiisp Where do you want to lynch now. Is your read on Boom wavering? Let's talk reads.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Pokechu/Maven

First as a quick aside, I really appreciate having a replacement come in who is actually willing to work to catch up and deliver content. This is definitely not always the case and it's nice to see someone at trying to make the slot useful.
-Quick review of Maven hasn't really changed my opinions of him. Little to work with and I don't much care for the opinions he did post. I suppose he improves slightly in light of his resistances of the 3DS lynch.
-Strong townread of UP is #1421 is a bit surprising. The justification feels somewhat dubious as a lot of the posts that Poke likes (#201, #289) are not particularly great ones IMHO. Correspondingly, I don't care for their opinion on Sabrar. Most of the rest are things that are at least plausible, but not terrible indicative for Pokechu.
-Don't care for #1473 as it seems to dodge what BoomFrog is saying.
-I like the interactions with Z25 generally.

The UP read is very strange and correspondingly I don't really agree with them on Sabrar. Most of the other reads are at least plausible in my mind. Pokechu takes a notably different stance on many players than the consensus. A little a bit townie on this as I can imagine scum jumping in at this stage not trying to rock the boat and aim more toward consensus reads. The exception here being if they are buddies with UP and/or Boom and are looking to justify going pretty much anywhere else that they can. There isn't really enough there for me to put a definitive read on him. I'd probably put him somewhere around a null-Town at this point. Not interested in lynching today unless there are no other good choices.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
A little a bit townie on this as I can imagine scum jumping in at this stage not trying to rock the boat and aim more toward consensus reads
EBWOP:

Should be "I lean a little bit townie on this"

LaserGuy LaserGuy Can I have an ordered list?
Town
LaserGuy
Ranmaru
Sabrar
Wiisp

Pokechu
Z25
BoomFrog

Jackrito
UP
Scum

Thoughts on Sabrars play D2?
He's backed down a bit on the aggression and feels a bit defensive at times. Nothing else has really jumped out at me. I think he is still likely Town. I don't have time to reread him tonight but I can put him on my list for tomorrow.

Jackrito

Smash Ace
EBWOP:

Should be "I lean a little bit townie on this"

Town
LaserGuy
Ranmaru
Sabrar
Wiisp

Pokechu
Z25
BoomFrog

Jackrito
UP
Scum

He's backed down a bit on the aggression and feels a bit defensive at times. Nothing else has really jumped out at me. I think he is still likely Town. I don't have time to reread him tonight but I can put him on my list for tomorrow.

Would this Sabrar change not fit in with your scum meta view you gave of them eariler, or do you feel that the change is more to do with the stagnant game state atm

Jackrito

Smash Ace
This is very WIFOMy even by your standards.

In my last D1 reads I had you as null-scum. I liked the last few pages of you in D1, but had to re-evaluate a number of players after the flip. Your vote on the wagon stood out as the most likely suspicious one, especially given your earlier interactions with 3DS.

I actually do this quite frequently between day phases, but I won't hold it against you for finding it suspicious. I'm not sure if I've ever completely reversed a reads list within a day or night phase, but I've come pretty close once or twice.

I am probably just going to start voting people if who obviously don't read my content and just complain that I can't monitor the thread constantly. But. For the last time. I have a very narrow window of hours in the day that I can post. Yes, I will try to catch up on a day's worth of posts and condense my thoughts into a post or two and leave, because the only alternative is for me to ask for a replacement. This isn't dependent on my alignment. It's mostly dependent on my children.

I commented when asked about it. Ran's complaint is that I didn't comment on it without being asked.

I've already explained the Town motivation for doing so on several occasions. But I'll accept that this may just be a forum meta difference and move on.

I felt all of your content D2 up to that point was bad, yes. Pretty much the only thing that you were doing was trying to extract info about power roles and mechanics. Which is often scummy, but bad Town does this too sometimes. I liked most of your content in D1. I didn't have you below Jack. My ordered list at the time was in #1459, posted maybe 15 minutes after the post you're referencing.

The context is Ran asked me who I thought was scum. At the time I felt Jack was most likely, but I listed the other people that I was thinking about as possibilities at the time.

BoomFrog is a very strong player and is difficult to read as either alignment. I've played maybe a dozen games with him and I'm pretty sure there's only been one or two of those where I've been able to get a strong, correct read on him this early in the game. In one of the last games we played on xkcd before the site shut down, we were so concerned about BoomFrog that, if I remember correctly, the cop ended up having to clear him twice.

Ok these reasons sort of make sense, but you did not give away the impression to me that you had reviewed anything and this was your same thoughts from the EOD

Jackrito

Smash Ace
I feel that UP needs to die today, because his lack of content and dodgeing to a degree is just not helpful and nothing he did this game is great enough to ignore that. I also stand by my point that him agreeing with Pokechu reads when he was townreading me before is weird and shows a lack of consistancy and a scum who is just trying to fit in.

I think that Boom has being a bit better today and does not give off the nerves that I would expect of scum, They are still reasons that we should lynch there today or tomorrow though. The first based off what Laser and Sabrar have said he has a really good scum game so being calm under pressure and looking townie in it is well within the skill range. The second is that his overall play leaves a lot of? and he has became obssessed with UP by this point which shows a lack of overview in the gamestate and only wanting one thing before his own death. They are 2 reasons for this one UP is scum and he wants the town cred that could save potentially save him this points to a 3rd scum to be this reckless or 2 UP is town and he wants one more mislynch before he goes out. This one points at his teammate is in a decent spot but they fear the POE closing too fast.

Wiisp

Smash Lord
I mean idk what scum UP is doing here
Like I don't get it
But like in world's where both UP/Boom are town this game isn't winnable

At least Boom is trying, but books comments towards UP feel like wolf/wolf

Sabrar Sabrar
I was never desperate in my tone, I wanted them to claim for alignment reasons most off, but I realized later it didn't matter since roles were randomized anyways

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Boom is still scum, trying, but still scum. I was wrong about Sabrar.

Wiisp

Smash Lord
Boom is still scum, trying, but still scum. I was wrong about Sabrar.
Ya I'm just getting paraniod
Is it just me or does it feel like people are just avoiding gives an actual onclusive read on Boom

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
People have hedged a bit with stances on Boom. Yet I am most concerned with Sabrar.

Wiisp

Smash Lord
## Boom
There is more concrete reasons to believe this is scum

Both UP and Boom are wolves still
But Boom feels like he could talk himself out of a Lynch, UP cant

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yes, I feel exactly that. UP dies the next day.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Jackrito Jackrito I have stated that UP being scum doing this doesn't fit with a [2 man] team. I also think Laser's latest posts are pretty townie too. So I would like to talk reads with you as well.

Jackrito

Smash Ace
I'm fine with either in any order it feels like Boom is trying to buy at least one more day which is worrying since when scum do that, it means they may have something to use at night. Which makes him the better option today. The only reason I have not changed vote is because of it would put Boom on L1 unless people just want day to end early. Since nothing is really going on unless UP tries at somepoint

Jackrito

Smash Ace
Jackrito Jackrito I have stated that UP being scum doing this doesn't fit with a [2 man] team. I also think Laser's latest posts are pretty townie too. So I would like to talk reads with you as well.
I agree with that view on 2 mans team which reads do you want to talk about? I can semi agree on Laser he is just that slot in the game that will always bother me I have a habit of having that in most games. I agree that is not a concern for now though.

Wiisp

Smash Lord
like if there isn't at least one wolf in UP/Boom
then congrats you guys have snowed me,
and we lost, and I wouldn't technically blame Boom in that world, since he is still trying
but UP would definitely need to talk about why he chose to play the way he did as town

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Sabrar is the third scum. Now it makes sense why Boom's push on Sabrar seemed like his only believable push, it's because Sabrar is scum as well. Sabrar isn't doing as much as I expected him to, as Laser noticed, he is much less engaged this day. I expected more review but he only reviewed Jack and Laser. Now he puts Pokechu ahead of Boom.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ok those are decent reasons. I'm bothered by how fast he changed his view on Sabrar today as well it felt a bit unnatural he goes from being annoyed at him and voting him one day to town reading him the next. I think Sabrar pointed this out as well.
I forgot to comment on this, but this was a good point.

Top Bottom