• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NU To OU Project- First batch

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Is there a limit on how many Pokemon we use per round? If not then we can just use Articuno / Dunsparce / Marowak / Muk / Typhlosion / Magmortar.

-Terywj

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Not to rain on the Dunsparce parade or anything, but its issue is stats; not movepool. It gets everything it could basically ever need movepool and ability-wise to be horribly amazingly gay already. Its stats just don't give it the opportunity it needs to run around OU when you already have two who do have the stats to do so.

And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves Dunsparce.

Neherazade

Smash Journeyman
Not to rain on the Dunsparce parade or anything, but its issue is stats; not movepool. It gets everything it could basically ever need movepool and ability-wise to be horribly amazingly gay already. Its stats just don't give it the opportunity it needs to run around OU when you already have two who do have the stats to do so.

And this is coming from someone who absolutely loves Dunsparce.
Yeah that's pretty much true, unfortunately.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
A few things here:

1. We can use UU pokemon as well. Its in the OP
2. We will do dunsparce, and I'd like to remind everyone that if a pokemon appears hopless, we CAN create a new ability or move exclusive to that pokemon as long as it gives it an entirely new niche, isn't broken, 100 percent needs it JUST to make it to UU, and makes aesthic sense for the pokemon to have it.
3. I will update the 1st and 2nd post ASAP as well as right up my writeup for the next pokemon, but work is poessesing me while I save up for college and music right now. Please bare with me.

Now with that, I decided to take a rather neglicated type and use it for this batch. A theme batch, the theme being FIRE!

Typhlosion
Blaziken
Charizard
Magmortar
Ninetales
Torkoal

This will do for now. So, Let's get started. I'm off to bed but wake up early in the morning so hopefully I can get my writeup then.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Yes! Typhlosion!

Typhlosion wouldn't really mind getting Energy Ball. I mean, Ninetales got it, so I don't see why not?

Thoughts?

-Terywj

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Adaptability Typhlosion LOL

Anyways you want to know what would make at least half those pokemon BL or better? The removal of Stealth Rocks.

Typhlosion's biggest problem, like most of these pokemons problems are its stats. 109 SpAtk is good but 100 Speed just doesnt cut it anymore. 109 SpAtk and Eruption just SCREAMS Choice Specs but he cant do it well because he's just straight up too slow. Gengar, Latias, Infernape, Azelf, Starmie the myriad of Scarf Pokemon out there, not to mention the other Base 100's that he'd have to tie with(and a hit an run Specs set doesnt want to tie with anything)

I think all fire types should have access to Grass Knot tbh. Water types get all kinds of bull**** moves(Why can Starmie learn Thunderbolt? Why does Gyara get Twave?) so why not even **** out and give fire types a grass move that doesnt require a turn to charge?

Alternative: Fire Type Chlorophyll equivalent. Say it with me "Sunny 598 speed Eruption" :D

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
Torkoal's really not that bad of a poke tbh.

In the current metagame with pretty much every spinner losing outright to Rotom-A Torkoal has the necessary moves to beat him. In fact if Torkoal had Mold Breaker instead of White Smoke he'd be set as the only usable spinner in the OU metagame.

Torkoal@Leftovers
Modest/Mold Breaker
252Hp/252SpAtk/4 SpDef
-Rapid Spin
-Lava Plume
-Earth Power
-Toxic/Stealth Rocks

Beats pretty much ever Spiker/Ghost out there. Mold Breaker allows him to hit Rotom/Gengar with SE Earth Power and Lava Plume gives you much needed Burn support to help you live.

Toxic/SR is for team support. Sure the 25% from Stealth Rocks sucks but hey, at least you can actually get rid of them lol.

If nothing else it would cause a rise in Rotom-W's

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Agreeing with Pink Reaper here. A decent chunk of all Pokemon already get moves which don't really suit them or compliment them, so I don't see why not to giving these poor NU/UU Pokemon something good to work with.

Typhlosion and Charizard would enjoy Energy Ball instead of using Hidden Power Grass. Magmortar already has Thunderbolt but is then subsequently walled by Swampert+Quagsire+Gastrodon.

Hitmonchan just needs more Attack and Speed. IIRC his Sp Def isn't all too bad? Iron Fist is already unique to him so abusing it with a more powerful base Attack stat would make sense.

-Terywj

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Bastiodon has a hilariously good special movepool.

Fire Blast, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Earth Power, Flash Cannon.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
there's one problem using torkoal as a spinner
he's fire type and doesn't have much life

he's pretty much another forretress with a worse typing and overall lower stats
forretress also has a better attack stat and has double the base speed (but it's 20 to 40)

but torkoal does get a better offensive movepool, but it's his typing
he he evolved into a fire/ground poke with an increase in everything but speed and defense, he'd be much better

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Mold Breaker would still allow it to hit Rotom for SE damage, which is really important.

Hits Misamgius too. Spiritomb can be dealt with through Lava Plume, and Torkaol can't be W-o-W'd so..

-Terywj

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
Mold breaker, eh....

Would've never thought of it.

It is awesome, now that you mention it. Just like.....

Mountaineer Torkoal!

Yep. I went there.

EDIT: My take on the others:

Blaziken: Unless Infernape falls into a desolate void of nothingness for all eternity, you can't fix Blaziken. Besides, isn't he good enough already?

Torkoal: See above.

Charizard: Kill SR and watch him go straight to low OU.

Typhlosion: See Charizard. Also add Energy Ball.

Magmortar: If it gets Energy Ball (which makes more sense than Typhlosion), that would be godly. It probably doesn't need it though.

Ninetales: Don't see how you can improve her without altering her mediocre SpA and average Speed.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Blaziken has more options when it comes to priority, I think? But yes, Infernape still outclasses him. You would've thought Gamefreak would've changed it up for the new 4th Gen. starters, but no.

-Terywj

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Give Torkol Scrappy. Rapid spin guarantee.
I dunno... Torkoal just doesn't strike me as a very scrappy fellow. lol jk

As for Blaziken... give it close combat and sucker punch, I suppose. Ice punch would be cool but it doesn't make much sense lol.

Ninetales is the epitome of "meh", lol. I don't think it'll ever see much use w/o major help.

Other ones I'm still trying to think of additions for.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
It already gets ThunderPunch, I think Ice Punch would be asking for a bit much though.

Blaziken doesn't have Close Combat...that's pretty bad. I suppose it's better than Superpower..

-Terywj

mood4food77

Smash Hero
blaziken isn't fast enough to be OU this gen
he definitely has the power, but he's just average speed wise (base 80)

infernape has the speed to beat out every wall in the game

blaziken does get brave bird though which is weird

he's fine, he's just outclassed

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
Magmortar

New abilities: Intimidate / Unburden

Intimidate because it gives him some prosperity defensively, and he has a GUN pointed at your Pokemon's head.

Unburden because It would improve his otherwise decent speed make you do a double-take. Awesomeness comes with using a SubPetaya set. This could make this guy pretty deadly.

Magmortar@Petaya Berry
252 Sp.Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
~ Substitute
~ Heat Wave
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power Grass

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Sub petaya still loses to Blissey though >_>

Really Magmortar doesnt need a new ability or anything. He has all the tools he needs just no one uses him.
Blissey fears switching in though, because Magmortar could always carry Cross Chop (or Focus Blast) specifically for her. I don't know if it'd OHKO (Focus Blast obviously wouldn't, meh), but it'd probably leave a nice enough dent in her to make her question switching in again.

I do agree with the second part though, although Unburden would give him a pretty nice niche as a sweeper, and would probably be enough to give him some OU use (even if it is just by a bunch of scrubs, like Electivire's usage).

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I'd never even drop Snorlax to BL. Of all the Pokemon on that list, he's the only one I'd disagree with you on. I've used Snorlax before, and I've witnessed how much of a monster he can be first-hand.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
He'd be alot better if 100% of the current teams out there didnt have a 120 base power fighting move on at least one of their pokes.

Snorlax just inst as good as he once was. The OU Metagame has become so ridiculously physical at this point that even with a curse under his belt Lax has alot of trouble surviving more than 1-2 strong hits.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Well that explains it then. I used CBLax. As long as your opponent has even one pure special attacker, CBLax will benefit your team. Its ability to punch holes in the opposing team are pretty ridiculous, and I've won quite a few games with the team I used it on specifically because of CBLax.

To be quite honest, I think people are just using Snorlax in the wrong way anymore. I definitely agree with what you said, but there's more that Snorlax can do than just a Curse set. And part of me just thinks people haven't figured that out yet.

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
With a more common weakness....

And more worthless STAB.

EDIT: Agreeing with PR.

Snorlax was epic back when the only widely accessible fighting move was Brick Break.

Nowadays, Superpowers, Close Combats, and more recently, Low Kicks are more abundant.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i think snorlax was BL at one point but that was before they redid the tiers

snorlax will never be anything lower than BL

Top Bottom