• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] York Street Battles (17th May)

Zxv

Smash Lord
This thread is kind of long overdue, but blame that on me for being lazy. Anyway...

Introduction:
As some people are aware, the Fighting Game Community have a tournament series titled "York Street Battles". They have their own thread on another forum which can be found here. A section of the venue is reserved for Smash. Effectively YSB can be considered a Smash tournament series which is hosted roughly once every month or so and is focused on Brawl and Melee.

Recap:
Now, there have been two YSB tournaments that have hosted Smash. One was late last year for which I don't have the details for or results (they're somewhere on Ted's laptop), and the other was a few weeks ago on the 15th of February. Unfortunately, this tournament was a bit of a disaster as we did not have enough TVs to host a fully-fledged tournament. Instead we had to run the tournament as a Crew Battle style tournament, where everybody was seeded into teams of 3 players and progressed through the bracket as a group. While that mode was fun and served its purpose of hosting a bracket with minimal setups, I do not intend to run this format for anytime in the foreseeable future.

Important Stuff:
Date: Saturday 17th May, 2014
Time: 12pm - 10pm
Entry Fee: $15
The doors will open at 11.30am so we can start setting up. If you're bringing setups, it is recommended that you come at this time so you can set your stuff up as well. Also, if you plan on parking downstairs you will have more chance of getting a spot if you're early.

You are free to move about any setup you like playing various casual games, though in the interest of fairness and ensuring everyone gets games in, please restrict your casual matches to the best of three games, before swapping out with someone who is waiting. Winner stays on.

Reminder: If you bring a Wii/GC AND a TV you are entitled to a $5 discount on your entry fee. Just be sure to tell the guys at the desk and they'll discount you. A setup with no TV does not grant credit for a discount.

This tournament is a Brawl & Melee oriented tournament. Project M friendly setups are allowed provided there are enough free TVs.

Events:
  1. Brawl Doubles
  2. Melee Doubles
  3. Brawl Singles
  4. Melee Singles
The order in which these events are listed are the order in which they will be executed throughout the day. If you anticipate you will be late for an event, please try to contact somebody at the venue (or better yet contact me directly. My number is listed at the bottom of this post), get them to talk to me and we will try to fit you into the bracket.

All events are $5 per person per event. The price for doubles is subject to change, but the price for singles is set.

Typical expenditure = $15 entry fee, $20 for all events, $10-15 for lunch, $10-15 parking/transport = $60-65 for the entire day.

Melee Ruleset: (TOTALLY not copied directly from RoS thread...)
* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer
* Items OFF
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Master Hand is banned.
* Wobbling is legal.
* Stalling with Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Peach's Wall Bomber is banned.
* Glitches such as Ice Climbers's Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo's Soul Stunner are banned.
* Dave's Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
*Sets will be best of 3 except for: winner's semi, winner's final, loser's semi, loser's final and grand final, which will be best of 5.
*Neutral starting positions may be requested
*Timic Clause: Any stage may be played on if both parties agree
*Players may request a double blind character selection
*In the case of a Port Priority Dispute, players may contest port priority
Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in "1221" fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes the next two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.
Melee Stagelist:
Neutral (Singles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick (Singles)
Pokemon Stadium

Neutral (Doubles)
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Dream Land
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character
Modified Doubles Rules
Team Attack set to “On”
Life stealing is allowed -If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.

Brawl Ruleset:
* 3 Stocks
* 8 Minute Time Limit
* Items set to “Off” and “None"
* Pause set to “Off”
* Meta Knight’s infinite dimensional cape tactic is banned.
* All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
* There is a 35 Ledge Grab Limit for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
* The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterrupted moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
* If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
If the match ends with both players dying at the same time coincidentally, or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 15 is used for all characters.
If a match is ended via suicide move, the initiator of the move wins.
* Coaching is allowed in between matches, but not during each game.
* And last but not least, due to popular demand double Metaknight is banned in doubles.
Brawl Stagelist:
Neutrals (both singles and doubles):
Smashville
Battlefield
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Pokemon Stadium
Final Destination

Counterpicks:
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Frigate Orpheon

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character
Modified Doubles Rules
Team Attack set to “On”
Life stealing is allowed -If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.

Results (YSB #3):
Melee singles:
1: Ted
2: Zxv
3: Cal
4: unny
5: Dirac
5: Gords
7: Cunchy
7: Invisi
9: Gamra
9: Paulie
9: Matt2
9: Scott
13: Kait
13: JPW
13: JNuts
13: Seb
Melee doubles:
1: Zxv + Ted
2: Paulie + Gamra
3: Unny + Cal
4: Kait + Invisi
5: Tyrone + Seb

Brawl singles:
1: Zxv
1: Scott (split with Zxv)
3: Invisi
4: Lux
5: Paulie
7: JPW

Brawl doubles:
1: Shaya + Scott
2: Ted + Cal
3: Lux + Invisi
4: Zxv + Gords

The rest:
Okay, now that that's all out of the way I'd like to say hi and that I look forward to seeing everybody at the venue. Last tournament was a bit of a disaster due to lack of TVs, but rest assured our lord and saviour Gords (The Abundant One) has returned from his pilgrimage to the Holy Land (Japan). Between Gords' and my own TVs, coupled with a buttload of TVs that unreon managed to snag from the hospital mean that we should have more than enough setups to properly host this tournament. With this in mind, it is entirely possible that the limiting factor will probably be Wiis/GCs, so please if you're able to, try to bring a setup to the venue. Every setup helps!

If you have any problems or questions, feel free to post them here and I'll try to get around to answering them. If you need to contact me, the best way would be either via text (my number is 0452 266 681) or via Facebook.

Last edited:

cheese619

Smash Ace
This looks really good zxv, hopefully I'll be able to come to this if I get some uni stuff out of the way.

mattk210

Smash Cadet
I'd also like to come, time permitting. I'll probably only be entering melee singles. Do you have an estimate for when it will start? (as in, how late would it be safe to be?)

Gords

Smash Champion
hmm, since melee singles is last mid arvo should be fine. what time do you expect to get in?

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
I will not make an appearance in this sadly. I'll stop by next YSB.

FinXx

Smash Apprentice
Coming to this and bringing a setup!

edit: On second thought, I just looked at where this is in Sydney and driving will be a total ***** (I hate CBD driving), so I might train it up instead and be setup-less :(

Last edited:

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
I might be able to bring my Wii, but I would need someone else's cables (I can't really move the cables due to how they're set up at my place). It would need both power and VGA cables, as well as a sensor bar to get through the menu as my Wii is not modded.

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Results

Melee singles:
1: Ted
2: Zxv
3: Cal
4: unny
5: Dirac
7: Cunchy
7: Invisi
9: Gamra
9: Paulie
9: Matt2
9: Scott
13: Kait
13: JPW
13: JNuts
13: Seb

Melee doubles:
1: Zxv + Ted
2: Paulie + Gamra
3: Unny + Cal
4: Kait + Invisi

Brawl singles:
1: Zxv
1: Scott (split with Zxv)
3: Invisi
4: Lux
5: Paulie
7: JPW

Brawl doubles:
1: Shaya + Scott
2: Ted + Cal
3: Lux + Invisi
4: Zxv + Gords

Zxv will post bracket images soon.

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Time constraints and lack of setups were both contributing factors. But mostly they just couldn't be bothered playing the final.

Zxv

Smash Lord
Dirac is a smasher from the US who's studying for a semester in NSW.

Brawl Doubles

Brawl Singles

Melee Doubles

Melee Singles

Last edited:

Invisi

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3411-2321-4441
Overall great tourney, good to finally get some good Brawl games in, haven't been able to do that in a while since it hasn't been at RoS. Fairly happy about how I played, a lot of close matches/sets against people who have walked all over me in the past. Hopefully we can get more Brawl going so I can keep playing and improving. And I guess if you guys are going to pull that out on me again, I'm going to have to learn the MK matchup =\

Also Bryte, just a quick reminder of that update I mentioned in passing ;)

Zxv

Smash Lord
Okay, so it seems that the next YSB (12th April) and RoS (13th April) seem to have a clash in dates. I'm getting too old to attend two tournaments in a row, so I'm going to say that the next YSB is not going to be officially run by me as I will be attending RoS instead. If some of you guys are keen to go still, you guys are welcome to, but there probably won't be a very large Smash turnout. I'll start preparing for the YSB after that (May 17th).

Gords

Smash Champion
No PM since brawl.
The RoS tourney series is our PM and Melee events

Top Bottom