• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NSW thread

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I'm perfect for the 11th, is it OK to bring a friend? He doesn't have a Smashboards account.... but he is about equal in skill to me, so he is pretty good.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
ok im back with sort of an internet connection... i played against my friend the other day, i won but i realised that i suck badly and need practice against real people i'd like to attend the bi weeklies but maybe not every single one of them.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
also is anyone from around the wollongong area going up on the 11th? if so then i will probably tag along.

edit: sorry about not editing the first post.

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
*BUMP!* List of smashers updated. Jaz now on list of 'confirmed'! Yay!

Meteor Master - bring a friend along as well. The more people we can get there the more fun it is. Even if he doesn't want to compete in tournaments, there'll still be casual play before hand. I'll add him to the list.

ComboTurtle
I'm not sure of anyone who's coming up from Wollongong. According to Jaz, Zereul has dropped from the scene.

Come on guys You live in the biggest city of Australia yet there are hardly any of you guys.
Ironic isn't it?

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
SYDNEY TOURNAMENT 11/3 AT UTS UNIVERSITY

(*Repeats Post on this page unless Jaz manages to 'sticky' it onto 1st page, which has been updated only once.*)

_4th Update!_​

Smash Tourney to be held at UTS 'Concourse' area (down the stairs as soon as you enter the tower building) on the 11th of March. 11am arrival time and 2pm tournament starting time. Tournament will finish at 6pm. Between 11am and 1:30pm is friendlies/practise/seeds for the tournament. Break between 1:30 till 2 to get tourney organised after casual and to give time for those who need lunch or a break to do something else and come back. Uni is situated almost at the centre of Sydney, within very close walking distance to food shops. (How to get to UNI highlighted in orange)
*$10 entry fee - sign ups for the tourney start at 11 and close at 1:50pm. Prize pool is given to winner of doubles and singles, at the end of the tournament.

Smashers Attending

Funky - Confirmed
LazyLobstar - Confirmed
- One Ova Kind- Confirmed
Zereul - May be coming
Jaz - Confirmed
Brown One - Confirmed
-Kit - Confirmed
-John - Confirmed
ComboTurtle - Confirmed
El Sid -Confirmed
Leon - Confirmed
Meteor Master - Confirmed
- Friend1 - Confirmed
Ichini - Confirmed
uNamed - Confirmed
List of confirmed: 14! Yay!
More people to come... Some are from other websites and msn.
People coming to this event not mentioned on the list: 9 (approx)
People attending all together: 22 (approx)

If anybody else would like to be added to this list, let me know via MSN/PM or post here. My email is sparnell15@hotmail.com

No. of TVs: 5
No. of Projectors: 2
GCs/Wiis available for the day: 5. Need at least 8 for the tournament. Let me know if you can supply your GC for the tournament.

Transport to the University is relatively easy - just catch a bus (any bus that mentions railway station or central) or train (every train line except for carlingford line) to Central station and walk your way to the university along Broadway St. You should see a tower building with a large open space in front of it. The tournament is taking place at the Concourse in the tower building. To get there just go down the stairs from the main entrance of UTS and you should see a large open area next to a cafe on the left. That area is the Concourse.

Tournament Rules (Based on MLG rules)

Singles
4 stock, 8 minute limit, Items Off
Stages
* Singles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium.
* Stages banned for Singles Only: Great Bay and Mushroom Kingdom 2
* Stages banned: Yoshi's Island, Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle, and Onett.
* All other stages available for counter-pick
No stage may be used twice in a Best of 2/3 or Best of 3/5 Series.

Doubles
4 stock, 8 minute limit, Items Off
Stages
* Doubles random select stages: Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Rainbow Cruise, Dreamland 64 & Pokemon Stadium, DK64.
* Stages non permitted for Doubles Only: Fountain of Dreams and Mute City.
* Stages banned: Yoshi's Island, Fourside, Hyrule Temple, Flatzone, Brinstar Depths, Icicle Mountain, Big Blue, Mushroom Kingdom 1, Venom, Yoshi's Island 64, Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle, and Onett.
* All other stages available for counter-pick.
No stage may be used twice in a best of 2/3 or best of 3/5 series.
*Team Attack is ON
*life stealing is allowed (if out of doubles, press START to steal one of team's life and return to the fray)

Other tournament rules/conditions

Counter Picking
After characters have been selected for the first game, each player/team may choose to knock out one stage. Stages that are knocked out won't be used during the series. Random select stages can't be knocked out. Once the first game has started, stages can't be knocked out.
After each game of a series, the player who lost the previous game may choose the stage for the next game or elect for it to be chosen randomly. After the stage has been selected, the winner of the previous game may change characters. After the winner has chosen their character, the loser of the previous game may change characters.

Controllers
-You are responsible for bringing your own controller!
-Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
-Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

Other Rules & Special Issues
-Any unnecessary pausing of the game will result in a forfeit of that single game.
-Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch but not extended to the infinite/wobbling), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
-Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
Syke I heard ur moving to melbourne soon. You'll be able to get more money from tourneys there!

MM -
Standard matches but ppl play so that it appears like lightning melee. I'll explain it to you on the day.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
OK, I know people move fast, I move that fast too, but I'm just saying the backgrounds on levels appeared to be faster. This gave me the impression that they might be lightning, I guess it may have been the particular vids I watched....
Trust me I'm better than you'd expect.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
OK, I know people move fast, I move that fast too, but I'm just saying the backgrounds on levels appeared to be faster. This gave me the impression that they might be lightning, I guess it may have been the particular vids I watched....
Trust me I'm better than you'd expect.

im worse than you'd expect... confirm me for this tournament, id like to get in alot of friendlies before the main tournament tho as i suck real bad, also if anyone is catching the train up from around the wollongong area it would be nice to go with someone, but if not then ohwell.

Jaz

Smash Ace
lol syke leave sydney alone.
besides i'll get marks mewtwo to beat your marth according to shaz! no moneyz for you!!!
no one turned up to kulla's today, so thats my poor organisation skills exposed...
kulla will be leading the parade to his house from now on as work is going to swamp me...
so i'll most likely be able to attend tournies and that is all.

can't wait for sunday Dedu

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
LOL. I'll try to get vids of finals XD.

You said the same "OHHhhhhhMIIIIIiiiiGuuud" when that Brawl rumor came out recently. Turns out to be "OHHhhhhhMIIIIIiiii[fuuuucking]Guuud".

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Hey are the matches standard or lightning because I see many lightning melee matches lately.
OK, can people just leave that one question alone, I just like lightning better than standard (soooo sloooow) but I can adjust for the day, maybe change my character but I'll be fine.

And 13 confirmed people seems smaller than I expected. Isn't anyone else bringing a friend or something?

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
And 13 confirmed people seems smaller than I expected. Isn't anyone else bringing a friend or something?
Yeah people will be bringing their friends with them to the tourney. Hence the approx number of people attending = 19.

OK, can people just leave that one question alone, I just like lightning better than standard (soooo sloooow) but I can adjust for the day, maybe change my character but I'll be fine.
You remind me of someone I came across - he suggested that Lightning melee was better than normal melee but in fact, normal melee becomes just as fast as lighthing melee on a pro level. Look at KDJ vs Ken matches - KDJ moves insanely with his Sheik!

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Good luck Dedu! <3 Please take some pics if possible, I'm making an Australian Smash Site so I'll need some Sydney info. My whole family just flew to Sydney... lol - but I'll come when the time is right!

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Caotic likes men :)
Oh no!! What a horrible time to be male.:urg:

Oh and Dedu (if that's what people call you) I don't really have a preference on the style of play it's just my friend always insists on playing lightning for some reason so I guess I'm just too used to it. But now that makes it harder for me to get used to a regular match and I feel that it's his fault. Now my revenge - he plans to use ICs so now you all know what to expect.:laugh:

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
Yeah a horrible time to be male! Not really. -_-'

ICs? Cool. I'd like to see how you and him play when I meet you tomorrow. I'll be at the concourse from 10:30 onwards.
- Everyone. Last reminder. If you are attending the tournament, please bring your GC/Wii and a copy of Smash along with a fully unlocked memory card if possible. Looking forward to meeting/seeing you all tomorrow!

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
OK, I could bring my memory and Smash game, but being able to bring a console is a bit of a stretch. AWWWW, my wavedashing with my Roy seems to be bad lately, I sure hope I perform well with him tomorrow, or I use Falco or Ganon..... they aren't that great but based on where Pichu stands I'm not so confident in using the thing. My Kirby is increasing in greatness too. So little time to decide!!!:urg:

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
That's fine with me. Smash and mem card is good - I think there's enough consoles to go around but smash seems to be a bit in short supply compared to the consoles.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
if i get there early, like say 10? if i go to the place will i be allowed in? also is zereul going?
I'd like to play alot of friendlies before the tournament :)

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
i dont have a doubles partner
Me either - I'll look for one tomorrow.
if i get there early, like say 10? if i go to the place will i be allowed in? also is zereul going?
I'd like to play alot of friendlies before the tournament
Yeah you can get there (and you are allowed in) at 10. The place will be open from 9 onwards. As for Zereul, I have no idea as I haven't heard from his friend in ages. What's he been up to? [Message to Jaz]
And another question, what is the entry fee for doubles?
$10 entry fee for doubles, $10 entry fee for singles.
I thought we were 3 consoles short for the tournament
Actually, we have enough consoles to go around tomorrow. It will work out fine! Don't worry about it.

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
$10 for each person in doubles.

DSD - Actually I predict Jaz might win in doubles and a slight chance in singles. We will send you the prize money if you could come down and win this tournament.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Argh, I don't feel so good, my stomach -.- I think I might just enter singles.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
OK, I left early so can anyone tell me the results of the singles? ^^ Ha, Sid got destroyed by me in every friendly match we played!!

Top Bottom