• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Now that's strategy!" - Robin Video Archive

Tricky Al

Smash Cadet
Well I remade this montage, yay!
This time I posted it in the video archive so that I don't create another thread. Thank you for the constructive comments I got, I definitely used them in recreating the remake!
I can't seem to find a way of deleting this thread, I don't really want it cluttering up our forum page but unless a moderator thinks there's reason to delete it I guess it stays.
I'm sure @ Raziek Raziek will get around to it eventually. And I'll be sure to check out the new montage :)

eyejayy

Smash Cadet
Went Robin for the first set at my local today. Got on stream, so I figured I would share. I ended up mostly playing DK and Dark Pit later in bracket, but this still happened. Not amazing play, the first game was a mess, but it could've gone far worse.
watched this live m8! from nj too

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Just using Robin on FG. By no means is this on the level of a few others, but it's not that bad either.

eyejayy

Smash Cadet
I throw out aerial attacks even when idk if they're gonna connect. I do it to constantly throw out hitboxes, covering myself from the opponent. http://youtu.be/jajNN8c8uSE

bad habit?

Last edited:

SpeedBump

Smash Rookie
NNID
XSpeedBumpX
Hello again everyone,

I've managed to upload my replays of matches from the Symphony of Scales 2 tournament. It's not 60FPS of HD goodness, but hopefully 1080p 30FPS will suffice. :p

I have a playlist if you prefer it in that format and I'll separate them below.

I was honestly nervous to participate because it was my first ever form of a tournament (online or otherwise). I've never tried to be competitive in Smash until Smash 4 and I was nervous that I was going to just get completely bopped (which was, well, partially true :p). Thankfully I feel like I held my own despite some questionable choices (nervousness johns?) and see that my practicing with Robin has shown at least some returns.

Ultimately it reinvigorated me to continue working on how I play Robin and this game; the replays have already shown me some things I can employ from others for improvement (and hopefully take to my local scene if it manages to pick back up!).

Anyways, that's a lot of probably pointless rambling for just some replays. Below are the sets I had with some of the others here:

vs. @Sonic Storm :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8KMzqPgLK8

vs. @ Nah Nah :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BYm70yIgHA

vs. @Matsushi :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaubceoQhAc

gameonion

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gameonion
3DS FC
4382-1966-1902
Hey everyone! I finally took my time to make a Robin-montage using clips from For Glory, Anther's Ladder and Matches with Friends. I hope you enjoy.

Criticism is welcome, since part 2 is already planned.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I barely ever use Robin but this was a great match I had with a friend. :p
Like the title says, this was in 1.0.8.

Nah

Smash Champion
So I thought I'd try out the Youtube thinger we have for Smash 4.....

Basically I did some matches with this guy for a while on FG but never really could beat him so I figured I should post a video of it so people can give me critiques and such.

eyejayy

Smash Cadet
So I thought I'd try out the Youtube thinger we have for Smash 4.....

Basically I did some matches with this guy for a while on FG but never really could beat him so I figured I should post a video of it so people can give me critiques and such.
Ok, first off you rolled backwards to the ledge and lost the ability of stage control right off the bat. Your first move was to forward short hop NAir. Now, it wasn't the worst action but the auto cancel window was still punishable (0 to 34% and caught your second jump) so if if you're by the ledge at a roll distance from the opponent.. just quick thunder and play defensive; get ready to shield if needed.

Moving on to around @0:40 you unsafely FAir onto the shield and got punished. use a backwards short hop FAir to cover the area in front of you while retreating. You can even do the forward short hop NAir in an attempt to hit shield and end up behind. Shortly after getting knocked off stage.. you descend into the ground with FAir.. thinking that she will sandbag the hit. Play smart and reset to neutral. She walked back a tad and was able to land a F-Smash because of this rash behavior of yours.
When Zelda did a regular getup from the ledge at @0:48, i honestly think you would have a kill confirmed if you reverse Arcfire after that short hop you did (facing right...input right + special, immediately flick stick left). Hitting the ledge getup has the crowd waiting if you can connect a RAR BAir.

****SIDE NOTE WHILE WATCHING & CRITIQUING::::when hit off stage, charge thunder spells while recovering*****

Another kill confirm could have been at @1:05 if you correctly SPACED AND TIMED the arcfire by the ledge. UPAIR or BAir would suffice if she could not SDI outta arcfire.

@ 1:12 you missed the opportunity of being able to take the first stock if you F-Smashed out of arcthunder. You also missed catching the levin sword. Even with Zelda's reflector, it causes serious psychological stress just with it in hand.

Fresh on your second stock was optimal percent balance to land a check-mate. (down throw->upair) Try going for that more often.

@2:19 you finally connect Arcfire on her ledge getup option but did not follow up... well you followed up with charging Elthunder. You should have pressured with easy to land FAirs or if you want a move with more knockback... go for BAir.

Again, @2:23 you missed an opportunity to have an item to throw. Practice catching disposed equipment even if you do not intend on having them break. TRUST ME, they will be helpful in most situations.

the last thing i can say about this match you have provided is that dont roll as a getup option from the ledge. the two most viable would be to drop off jump, or just str8 jump from hanging. normal getup is less punishable than a roll getup(situational) this reason alone is why you lost the match.

OKAY. well im done. second time critiquing, i was definitely more detailed in this one. please give me feedback regarding my comments and suggestions. ty for the vid

Nah

Smash Champion
@ eyejayy eyejayy thank you for the detailed critique, I very much needed it. Guess I gotta go practice book catching, and I gotta get myself to do jump/drop off jump and normal get-ups over roll/attack get-ups. And the stuff in the first 2 paragraphs.

These:
Moving on to around @0:40 you unsafely FAir onto the shield and got punished. use a backwards short hop FAir to cover the area in front of you while retreating.
@ 1:12 you missed the opportunity of being able to take the first stock if you F-Smashed out of arcthunder.
are things I'm aware of. I don't always Fair into people's shields or try to do SH Fair after Arcthunder, but like in the video I do sometimes still do it but idk why I do.

I've never bothered to do reverse specials before but I guess now's the time to learn that, right?

I also feel like my spacing and timing is garbage (which is kinda an issue when you main 2 characters where good spacing is a part of their game) but idk how to fix that....

Anyway, thanks again. I just hope I'll actually be able to improve after this =(

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
One of my best sets as Robin vs. the #2 rank TN player.

Jester :4robinf: vs. Kman :4drmario::4diddy::4falcon:

Feedback very appreciated :)

Last edited:

AC NuBurs

Defence Bowser
NNID
ACNuBurs

Its probably not that funny for you guys, but I thought I would share this injoke anyway.

Also, I have a capture card, ive already uploaded some videos, but I might post some here later for some critique

I also played some For Glory, I tried commentating, but my mic is pretty low quality. So I might get a new mic/not do it again.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Here some tournament footage of my Robin from about a week or two ago. Commentary is weak sauce.

Game 1 and 3.

game 2

Game 1 and 5

game 4 and 5

Game 3 I'm kinda butt vs Kirby LMAO

Toodenbelch

Smash Rookie
I was wondering if any good robin players could watch one of my replays and analysis it and tell me what I am doing right, and things I need to improve on. Thankyou for the time.

Link to Replay: https://youtu.be/gKxTt9ImtHk (Another one will be uploaded soon)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mains: :4robinf::4robinm::4marth:

Secondaries: :4falcon::4metaknight::4palutena:

Tertiary: :4lucina::4feroy::4zss:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Dthrow --> jab at lower percents is better, you're guaranteed some %.
Landing with Dair is not recommended, you'll get punushed for it most of the time and you won't catch them unless they're charging a smash (Fair's better there).
Try Uthrowing less. You got a Uair there but Dthrow's generally a better combo throw.
Why were you in the air so much?
Charge to Arcthunder after a stock instead of Thoron, it's better for non-killing purposes.
You threw out a few random Arcfires when the opponent wasn't near you for no reason and got punished for it. Also, there were a few other random moves (there was a bair early on) that served no real purpose.
Try edgeguarding differently. You did an Elwind and a bunch of Fairs, none of which hit. Try nairs or predicting a reaction instead of going straight for them with an aerial.

Also, this should go to the Robin Video Archive, where they could probably provide a more in-depth analysis.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I was wondering if any good robin players could watch one of my replays and analysis it and tell me what I am doing right, and things I need to improve on. Thankyou for the time.

Link to Replay: https://youtu.be/gKxTt9ImtHk (Another one will be uploaded soon)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mains: :4robinf::4robinm::4marth:

Secondaries: :4falcon::4metaknight::4palutena:

Tertiary: :4lucina::4feroy::4zss:
Merged your post into the video thread, as it is also used for critique.

Nah

Smash Champion
Mmm so I have a couple of videos again. Was fighting some Kirby online yesterday and was getting my ass beat by him. I never liked the Kirby matchup and I don't really know how to deal with this kind of....playstyle. Was hoping for critques/advice/help and stuff.

Well, this one I actually won. And 2-stocked him at that (though that Elthunder snipe at the end was pretty lucky). But I don't really understand why I beat him this one time when I lost all the other matches. Like ya think I should've just never won a match againts him at all.

But here's one where I lose:

This one's probably the one where I lost the most badly is that even grammatically correct

what do?

Dathx

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dathx77
I'ma drop these here:

This is a Bo5 against Nick Riddle's ZSS (minus game 5, which was actually on DH that he won, we forgot to record it, as replacement its me playing his marth post-Chinese buffet #johns)

As a bonus, me losing to Nick Riddle's Robin (which is actually decent because he used to play Robin) in a game:

Last edited:

eyejayy

Smash Cadet
Finding locals on Anther's Ladder is legit; smoothest wifi connection possible.

Last edited:

_Shinta_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinta_kenshin
3DS FC
4914-4219-5499
-EDIT-
Found the youtube clip as supposed to the twitch stream. So that's been updated. Happy for the feedback thus far and still looking to improve so feel free to give me any notes you may have. Thanks

Hey everyone,

I played at a Regional in SoCal (where I am located) and was on stream agains a good PR Rank player who plays Samus. We went to game 3 and I made a technical flub that cost me the game and set. Looking at the video now I see lots of things I coulda done differently had I not panicked I suppose. But in all honesty I would love some fresh eyes on this.

I know my main mistake in game 3 but overall I'd love to know if you guys see anything I need to improve on. Movement options, followups, punishes or what have you.

I absolutely love and solo main Robin. Looking to improve at the game and make some waves in SoCal. Be as brutally honest as you can. Any and all advice will be much appreciated. Feel free to PM me if you prefer to respond that way.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I got some vids where I entered a tourney in this past Saturday where I got 3rd out of 57 people. Lost to my area's best player and 3rd best player ATM. Here's some vids

vs Law( Luigi)

vs Ham( Diddy Kong) Robin only on game 1 and 2

vs Nev loser's finals( Donkey Kong) Robin only one game 2 and 3.

_Shinta_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
shinta_kenshin
3DS FC
4914-4219-5499
Some very solid matches. Watching you gives me some good ideas on what to do against a good luigi. Keep it up 8D

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Critiquing a few of @Matsushi 's matches from Dat BlastZone 7:

1:18 - Optimization here, you probably should've grabbed him into D-throw -> U-tilt, possibly jab.
1:20 - Would've liked to see you Z-catch to Instant Toss the Levin sword there.
1:27 - Did you still have your double jump here? Landing Bronze fair pretty weak option. Falling Nair, Double jump away or Elwind up to the platform all likely better options.
1:32 - Very nice. Exactly what I would've done on that Elwind.
1:35 - Missed opportunity to catch your Fire tome. Having the item is SUPER useful vs. Falcon since it's a strong threat to prevent him from just running in.
2:23 - That Elwind was wayyyyy too high up. You got lucky he botched his punish, good stuff killing him for it at least.
2:32 - Perfect Arc -> Nos. Exactly what I wanted to see.
3:06 - Fair him there 10/10 times. Puts him offstage and in a bad position, Uair at that percent doesn't have amazing reward.
3:10 - Beautiful pivot grab.
3:14 - You gave up a bit too much space here, needed to stay closer to the ledge so you can react.
4:16 - GORGEOUS NOS. ARTWORK.
4:38 - Jab there probably would've caught him.
5:00 - Unfortunate input botch, but you picked up the kill anyway.

Very solid Game 1.

6:49 - I think a falling Nos there would've caught him, but he did spot-dodge. Unsure.
7:07 - Should be able to punish a shielded gentleman with Grab there, I think.
7:15 - Try to be careful with the standing Arcfires, he's caught you a few times at close range on those.
7:57 - Nice catch with Fair.
8:05 - Risky to run in there. I probably would've just jumped and safely Nos'd him once he let it go, further widen the lead.
8:20 - Yeah, that's what I meant with the standing Arcfire.
9:17 - You got preeeetty lucky there, haha
9:22 - Falling Uair there instead of Elthunder. Much higher reward.
10:19 - You should've died for that airdodge, but he chose to Uair instead of knee.
10:30 - LOL THAT DI

I am less knowledgeable on Sonic, but I'll do what I can here.

1:00 - Always watch your sword. Items are key against Sonic.
1:15 - Arcfire is very hard to use in this match-up for exactly that reason. Sonic can get under/around it annoyingly easily. Try to stick to falling Thunder variants.
3:40 - That ledgeroll was not the greatest idea there, but I'm sure you realize that.
3:58 - That was such a great decision, just botched the input. D:
4:24 - Excellent punish.
5:30 - Ahhhh, just a series of unfortunate decisions there. Sonic's Bair is frame 13, so you should be able to react to it as long as you're expecting it and pay close attention. He doesn't have any other option he can do if he's telegraphing a bair. The ledge-jump Uair was just a poor choice there. He was too far away from the ledge for it to matter.

I'm out of time on this lunch, but I'll try to get to more later.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921

This replay is from 1.10 but my return to FG expresses my rustiness(hence the title). While I posted the video here before, I saved the match because it's one of the few matches where I successfully pull off beginner combos... on a Sheik no less.

I was just as surprised when I saw the wind jab KO.

Last edited:

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
I Need your help.
There was that one guy who made super cool robin vines. Like buffered taunt to tome drop to fsmash and stuff.
I think he was Japanese.
Does anyone have the Link to his vine Account?

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Goddamn that dude's vine is an amazing resource. It's like all that guy does is find cool Robin **** and make videos out of it.

First of all, gonna have to look into that downtilt tome retrieval thing...

Top Bottom