• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Now that's strategy!" - Robin Video Archive

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

This thread will serve as the hub for all user submitted Robin gameplay. You are free to analyze, critique, and discuss any video posted at any given time.

*Note: Please post videos as URLs and not as an embedded link or video. Many people have browsers that lag (and occasionally crash) with embeds, so please avoid this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U Robin Videos:

@Irisz
@Master Morrison

@Mechageo

@Nairo

Pitzer

@ Raziek Raziek

@ Xzax Kasrani Xzax Kasrani

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super Smash Bros. For 3DS Robin Videos:
@ Deviljho Deviljho

@ Fire Tactician Fire Tactician

@ G Gabukin

@jaeohjae

@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A

@ AustarusIV AustarusIV

@Mechageo

@megamain

@Nairo

@ Raziek Raziek

@ Reila Reila

@Sethlon

@Sonic Storm

@Swampasaur

@ Trela Trela

@Ultimastrike

@ Xzax Kasrani Xzax Kasrani

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
FYI: You can submit videos that aren't yours. Footage is footage, so whenever you find a quality match worth sharing, you're more than welcome to post it!

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Added most of the stuff from the old thread, plus one video of my own.

Avoiding Gordos is hard. D:

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I hope you don't mind cruddy camera quality videos, because I've got a good one for you guys- it's probably my favorite match that I've played. It's uploading to YouTube right now...

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I hope you don't mind cruddy camera quality videos, because I've got a good one for you guys- it's probably my favorite match that I've played. It's uploading to YouTube right now...
Not at all, join the club.

Mine are recorded using my iPhone, using a glass table (when I need to use both hands to demonstrate stuff)

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Not at all, join the club.

Mine are recorded using my iPhone, using a glass table (when I need to use both hands to demonstrate stuff)
I totally forgot about iPhone recording :p Might do a few on my 3DS once it comes.

@ Hokori Hokori I also updated my post with Skype info, I want in on that group :)

Iron Maw

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ironmaw
3DS FC
1091-8076-0883

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Could you shorten the links by removing the (&list....) part? Maybe I'm the only one who has a problem with those automatic playlists but since they are usually non Robin videos I don't see why they need to be there.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Could you shorten the links by removing the (&list....) part? Maybe I'm the only one who has a problem with those automatic playlists but since they are usually non Robin videos I don't see why they need to be there.
It's really not much of an issue when you can disable the playlist from continuing.

Just saying.

Trela

Smash Lord
I went ahead and uploaded a set I had vs Denti that was saved in my Replays section on my 3DS. I actually haven't really looked into the matches much, despite being the one recording it with my phone and watching over it again with my very eyes, lol. So I ask you guys: If you have any critique, feel free to give some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnhn93eku6c - Game 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejsD18uv4hM - Game 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDjOMWIbJg - Game 3

I apologize ahead of time for the quality of the matches. I saved it in HD at least, if that helps :nervous:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I went ahead and uploaded a set I had vs Denti that was saved in my Replays section on my 3DS. I actually haven't really looked into the matches much, despite being the one recording it with my phone and watching over it again with my very eyes, lol. So I ask you guys: If you have any critique, feel free to give some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hnhn93eku6c - Game 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejsD18uv4hM - Game 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKDjOMWIbJg - Game 3

I apologize ahead of time for the quality of the matches. I saved it in HD at least, if that helps :nervous:
I'll give full critique when I'm home.

Just know that those who care will be recording in similar quality :seuss:

Last edited:

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
I just want to say thank-you for compiling all this footage, especially the Clash Tournament one. Even though the game's only been out for a few days I've been discouraged from a few bad matches but I refuse to give up so it's uplifting to see other Robin players being successful.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Keep throwin' em at me. I'm going to do a big update to this post after I get time to record some of my matches tomorrow. Got a lot of great games in today with @Broccoli Kong (Will), going to get those up after work tomorrow.

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
Nairo is absolutely amazing. The way he goes back to catch his tomes, either his reaction time is way too good or he keeps track of every tome durability.

Also Bronze juggling, Fire trapping, everything. This guy is good to watch O_o

Trela

Smash Lord
So I played this Little Mac last week with both my Shulk and my Robin, and despite my Shulk doing much better in the match-up, I decided to give Robin a try again against him. I've played many matches before with my boi Ralph, and I don't think I've ever won a single match versus him with my Robin. I know it's widely agreed that Little Mac beats her, but I figured I'd upload a set anyways for further evaluation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4KHi-xth8I - Game 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4erj7krWHEc - Game 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRGGbRL_CMM - Game 3

So yeah, if you have any advice, just let me know. I already have my own suspicions on what to do, but I'd like to hear what you guys have to say, as well.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Rainfeii

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3497-1940-6654
Robin is a character I've been loving. I don't know - I guess it's because her kit is so versatile! There are a lot of things you can do with her spells.

I'm a total newbie at Smash. I played Melee when I was young, and played some Brawl when I was in high school, but I never learned many high-level techniques or went to any tournaments or anything. And I do live in Korea, so when I connect online, I basically am thrust into the Japanese scene.

I read up on these forums for a few ideas on how to use Robin better, and I've got a few videos to show for it as my thanks. Hopefully my phone doesn't crap out while uploading these.

I've been trying to find tricks to use, as every combo with Robin that I've seen is pertinent to very early percentage levels. I haven't seen anything you can use beyond ~30%. There's one 'combo' that I have some decent video of: it's hard to accomplish, but it's possible to chain Arcfires. I guess you could call it the... Arctwo? ... Nah, Doublefire.

Here is an example of it in the practice mode. This was roughly half an hour into practicing the move.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAgJbL-rm38

Of course it's really difficult to make this happen, as you have to place the first Elfire perfectly so that the opponent will be knocked up, and THEN you have to stagger your jump so that you don't do it too early, but time and aim the second Elfire just as the opponent starts to fly through the air. However, I think it's still worthwhile practicing.

Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFVsHSOwofM

(You may watch the whole video if you wish. But, the point of interest I want to show is at around 1m 13s.)

This is a For Glory match against Ganondorf.

For those who can't see the video, I've just knocked Ganondorf off the stage. I press neutral b, charging the spell into Thoron, but I know that it'll be shielded if I simply just use it. Instead, I roll backwards twice; as Ganondorf recovers and moves towards me, he thinks I'm going to use Thoron, so he short-hops and attempts to use an aerial to punish me ahead of time. Because he's used an aerial, he'll have landing lag - right as he's about to land, I send out an Arcfire. I jump in the air and throw out another. The combination sends Ganondorf so high that I can't press my advantage. I move forward, unsure of what to do. Ganondorf sees this and attempts to use a down special, at which point I roll backwards and retaliate with the Thoron. It dosen't KO him, but the combination allows me to eventually take first stock (first blood?) at 1m 51s.

I do attempt to execute the Doublefire combo multiple times after that initial successful attempt, but they never connect.

* How do you set it up?
The first Arcfire in the combo can be executed mid-air or on the ground.

* When should I use it?
Doublefire is best executed when anticipating horizontal movement from the opponent such that the opponent is not able to shield, such as a roll.

* Where and when should I jump?
Sometimes you'll need to double-jump, sometimes you'll only need to jump once. It depends on the trajectory, but quickly pressing the jump button twice might do. Point of reference: try to jump at the spot on the floor where the opponent was standing.

* Why use Doublefire?

It is a great method for keeping opponents temporarily incapacitated due to the persisting effect of the flames.

* What are Doublefire's strengths?
. . Doublefire is extremely effective at creating a zone of control for Robin.
. . If used properly, it can send the opponent flying into the air.
. . It gives control of the air to Robin due to Arcfire's range and Doublefire's stunning capability.
. . Doublefire may make Robin's forward throw a more attractive option, as Robin's forward throw pushes . the enemy back at the perfect distance to use Arcfire and thus chain into Doublefire. (It is more difficult to use Robin's back throw or down throw to do the same.)

* Why use Doublefire over an aerial after using an Arcfire?
. . It deals more damage than any of the Copper sword moves.
. . One can stall from having to use the Levin sword, if uses of the Levin sword are low.

. . Because Arcfire persists, it incapacitates AND knocks up the victim, rather than simply knocking the victim up. This means that, if executed correctly, Doublefire will not allow the opponent to perform any actions until the second fire disappears. It is, in essence, a true combo. This translates to having a period of time where Robin is free to charge Thunder without having to worry about a down air from the enemy. Alternatively, Robin can continue to juggle or pressure the opponent by using smash up air and fast falling, thus gaining the advantage of being able to attack with a special move in addition to being able to use aerial attacks.
* What are Doublefire's weaknesses?
. . It uses charges of Arcfire.
. . If whiffed, Robin can be punished by an aerial.
. . It's difficult to be able to pull off the combo, and even harder to reliably reproduce it.
. . The timing and positioning of this move can differ drastically depending on percentage and character, making it even more difficult to use reliably.
. . After a certain percentage (depending on the character and the player's movements), the timing necessary to execute the move drastically changes, allowing the opponent to be able to move before you can execute the second Arcfire. (For example, ~60% on Toon Link.) Thus, Doublefire will stop being a true combo at that point.

* How can I practice it?
The best way to practice Doublefire is to go into the practice mode and set the CPU to 'walk'. Mash the ever-loving hell out of Arcfire. Try running to opposite sides of the CPU if you miss the second Arcfire. Like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwgfhrIsjPU (Whew! I'm glad that I managed to do it as well as I did there. *^*)

* How much damage does it do?
Damage-wise, Doublefires don't always end up doing the same percentage. The initial Elfire's knock-up is what allows the Doublefire combo to occur, so even if most of the first Arcfire's damage isn't inflicted, as long as the opponent is sent flying, you can do a Doublefire.

* Can I combo Doublefire into anything?
If you land Doublefire, you can use up or neutral air attacks and Arcfires to juggle the opponent in the air.

I have more than these two videos; if anyone wants to see them I'll post the rest. I can't say for sure which ones have a successful Doublefire in them, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom