• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data "Now it's Shulk Time!" - Shulk Tournament Results

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
LOL. Sorry, I actually did laugh hard there XD. Where are ya from Alvis? I just had to ask, with y'know, us sharing a huge coincidence n all.
:smash:
Western Australia. So after Googling the location in your profile, I don't think I could live further away if I tried :laugh: I think we'd even be about 12 hours apart (maybe 11).

Pretty hilarious how that lined up right there. Been trying to think of other things. All I've got is that my Marty also mains a blue character - though this one is of the "going fast" variety. Now all I need to do is change my name and match your results instead of placing 13th in every event.
13th.png

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
http://rvaforge.challonge.com/single20
Anvil Smash Weekly #20
Plain Yogurt
7th Place tie :4shulk:, :4lucas:
9/27/2015
32 entrants
No Customs

Not too shabby today. I learned to fear Ryu today though. Protip if you haven't fought one yet: Vision doesn't work on his fully charged down-B. Tried to counter it like 3 times before I realized and lost game 1. Basically the matchup became Shulk sits in shield and pokes with bairs because true shoryuken is scary. Brought it down to a last game last hit and got sent to losers.

Finally fought a decent Luigi under tournament pressure! That's a stressful matchup, but it's also not terribly hard: switch to buster and laugh as Luigi tries to get in. Even in weaker Mondado forms like speed Luigi's traction screws him over good.

And then I lost to ROB again. Can't beat that thing. I need to bring my Villager out of retirement because that stupid stack of wires has been ending my tournament life since the freaking game came out and I'm sick of it. I won the first game somehow, then let him have FD which went about as well as you'd think, then I SD'd twice on Smashville, then I played a reasonably close game with my Lucas that I still lost. Stupid NES relic and his stupid top.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
GameKatz bi-weekly super smash bros wii u tournament

Singles
Reyn Time!
2nd using only :4shulk:
September 27th, 2015
25 entrants
Customs: On (sets mostly used = 2123 / 1122)

Doubles
Mace & A-A-RON = BANADO'S POWA!
3rd using only :4diddy: & :4shulk:
September 27th, 2015
9 teams
Customs: On (sets mostly used = 2123 / 1122)

I don't have much to say for either Singles & Doubles. I'm just content with the placings I got in Singles & with my partner I teamed for Doubles. Since Customs were legal here, we faced against a team using Robin's Fire Wall custom filling Mr. Game & Watch's Bucket, which he gets invincibility when getting filled. The Bucket hit damn hard & it was something worth knowing & realizing that they must be kept separated. Decisive Shield was living at least until ~40% though.
:cool:
As far as Singles goes, I was more confident in using a blend mixture of 2123 or 1122. Surprisingly for Amazing Ampharos' RosaLuma, I rolled Decisive arts in the 2123 set more than 1122 oddly. Using DSmash in the beginning to rid of Luma early on helped a lot this tournament whereas last tournament it didn't. It felt weird that I didn't even practice with custom specials for a while & yet I still did relatively decent. But yeah, the tournament was fun to the max & I got some compliments & comments from some players watching me scrooge under Battlefield saying things like, "Dude, this guy makes me want to play Shulk!". So yeah. Ggs to everyone I played, & Thanks for Playing~

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
4 Pillars September Smash Fest! - http://challonge.com/SeptemberSmashFest

Chris N (WindHero)
5th Place - :4shulk:only
September 27, 2015
16 Entrants
Customs: No

Welp, this was my third tournament now... Starting to get more comfortable now, but I still have the 3rd round blues.
First round, I came up against a decent Marth player. I had one pathetic goof early in the first match where he charged a Shield Breaker during an aerial approach, and idiot that I am I shielded it, getting popped. What was stupid though, was that he didn't follow up with any attacks. I was only around 40% or so, so he couldn't KO me, but he decided to try push-walking me off the edge of the stage. I mashed my buttons, meanwhile, and escaped before he could do it. Otherwise, the set was a bit close, but I definitely had the edge outside that blunder.

Second round was tense for me. I was going against a Falcon main, and I'm always struggling with that MU. First game, the Pink Cap'n edged me out by just a bit, playing on Battlefield. Second match, I counterpicked Kongo Jungle 64, while he changed colors to gold Falcon. At one point he got knocked into the barrel, but he thought he could simply camp out in the barrel... Then it rotated... then he got RNG-screwed and launched into the abyss. To get the second KO, Jump was my friend, and I gimped him too far away to reach the barrel. It was close, though. Final match, he went back to BF and pink Falcon, on the logic of "I beat him this way the first time." I was in the zone by now, knew his habits, and started to play accordingly. I took out his first stock and got him to about 40% on his second before I was even at 90% on my first stock. I managed to knock him high into the air... So he fast-falled... And missed the ledge.(!) Kinda felt a bit bad for him with that one.

Third round... I cannot for the life of me remember who he was playing as in these matches. I actually played two or three matches with him on the 3DS before the tournament started, beating his Kirby and his G&W, but I can definitely see he's best with a GCN controller. In any case, his fundamentals were great, far better than mine... Plus I was starting to get hungry as it approached dinner time and I had nothing to eat. Not a good combo. (Or would that be a true combo? :troll: ) In any case, I got close in the matches, but he was always a few steps ahead.

Then, my sole match in Loser's Bracket... against none other than Brandon himself, the three-time champ. First game was against Meta Knight, he took my first stock with only 20% on himself to show for it. Then I began a potential comeback, returning the favor and taking one of his stocks. I got him all the way to 89% before I got knocked off the top by a Shuttle Loop. Second match was my worst showing in the tournament, me versus his Mario. He was very thirsty for the Fair spike, but didn't get it. Yet, I got in trouble with my edgeguarding in Jump... Somehow, I jumped out there, and didn't have a second jump left. I'm still trying to figure out why, but I think I must have either double-tapped the jump button by accident, or else failed to touch the ground after a prior jump. In any case, 0-2 was pretty bad.

Still, I'm happy with the results, at least I got to play against the 1st and 3rd place winners. Taking even one stock off Brandon was a checkpoint goal for me as well, since he was the player in my first tournament who whopped me so bad that I came here to try learning how to play better. Who knows, perhaps I can take a match from him next time, if I can learn the Monado's secrets?

Taitsu

Smash Rookie
Dat Blast Zone 7 (London, UK) - https://www.facebook.com/events/1627380887533178/
October 3rd-4th
Customs off
199 registered, ~170 came i think
10 pools.
1st-3rd qualified for pro bracket (30 spots)
4th-5th qualified for amateur bracket (20spots). 1st and 2nd of amateur bracket join back pro bracket

Scarhi
25th - :4shulk:only (i think?)
Pool B (3rd) : http://gp-tips.challonge.com/dbz7poolB
Pro bracket : http://gp-tips.challonge.com/dbz7pro

Taitsu

3rd on amateur bracket (33rd i guess?) - :4shulk:only
Pool A (4th) : http://gp-tips.challonge.com/dbz7poolA
Amateur bracket : http://gp-tips.challonge.com/dbz7am

SilentDoom attended the tournament too, but i'm not sure he played Shulk. He ranked 9th in the amateur bracket.

Great tournament overall. A bit disapointed to fail at the doors of the pro bracket twice, but i still feel like i did quite good. I've earned a ton of experience there (that was my first international tournament) and met great people.

VOD's of many matches are on twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/datteamlive

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
I played a mix of :4feroy: :4shulk: and :4charizard: Not too happy with my overall performance tbh. I will still curse Bo1 til the day I die though.

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
So I went to a big tourney locally yesterday. This one was considerable big from the past ones. We didn't do it in the small location we usually use. Instead we as a community managed to rent one of the buildings from the International center of Fairs and conventions, in which is used nationally for big stuff. Unfortunately, it had less entrances than the previous UFest tourney, which featured over 100 entrants.

I will post the results of me and fellow local Shulk player going by KoG.

F.I.S.T (Fierce Invitational Smash Tournament)
Grid

17th Place :4shulk::4pit:
10/18/2015
74 Entrants
Customs(No)

So this was a fun tournament. My first in the one that was really promoted, as the past ones I went, turns out not many people knew we held tourneys. Many new faces showed up, and made some really good impressions, as they were really good.

We first had Pools, with matches of best of 3. My pool was composed of 9 people (one guy didn't showed up for some reason) and
the top 4 players will advance. Thankfully, the RNG smiled upon me by not matching me with the top players, unlike another pool who had 4 really good known players.

Out of the 8 matches possible, I just lost 2, both losing 0-2. First one was against Cornejo, a somewhat known and controversial player. He used Mario on first match and I did well based on what I've heard of him. Close match, and I lost because I failed the timing of a dash grab and he then grabbed me and B-throw and I was in smash art at 140%... I really need to practice Dash Grab range. Second round I switched to pit because he actually feared my Shulk and switched to R.O.B. Turns out, switching to Pit was a bad idea. I should have stuck with Shulk. I lost the match, almost a 2 stock.

Next one was against a guy named Flury. He uses Mario and Luigi, but he only used Mario. His playstyle was weird. He would do dash trotting, but not perfectly. Basically, he was just initation the dash animation, and waiting it to finish and then do the same the other way. First time I faced this, so I wasn't sure how to act. I lost both rounds, but it wasn't a beating as I managed to get a stock off him both matches. He also almost managed to defeat our #1 player, and he would have if he didn't accidentally used Luigi's side B instead of up B....

Next rounds, I won against all the others in my pool. I used Shulk only in 3 of out 6 matches. Those 3 were against a pikachu, some guy who used Shulk too for teh lulz and luigi, and someone else im forgetting ATM. They werent too hard, and the pikachu one wasnt too difficult.

For other 2, I first used Shulk in the first round, but I lost that first game, so I switched to pit. I lost to a G&W, because I was careless with that Usmash of his that has invincibility, and I switched because I got too nervous with the D throw to side b string. Won the other rounds as pit. Next was against the same Ike player I faced back at Frozen throne 2. He had improved, and I lost because I could never get the matchup right, and I believe we are perhaps at -1. It was a tad easier with Pit, but I still got nervous as the ike player lived up to 140, and Ike with rage is scary.

Now for the last round, I only used Pit. I knew this player was a sonic player because his nick was Sanic... He used Shulk at the first round, like he did through all the pool, but his Shulk was nothing special, so I used it as a warm up for pit. He then of course switched to Sonic, and it was a tedious game that I almost lost the second game, but he SD doing sonic Dair, trying to spike me.

After that, we waited for the other pools to end, so they could make the Top 32 bracket you see I linked in Challonge. First round was against this Ness player. I won first game by stealing the KO win with a SH MALLC. Second game was a close one, as we were at high percents, and the guy was desperately going for the grab. I was trying to KO him while in shield art, as I was already at rage that Shields debuff didn't mattered. I got careless and the Ness managed to land an Uair as I was waiting for Shield art to be usable again by jumping around in Jump art...silly of me. Thinking of it, I should have gone to smash art and Tomahawk him, and killing him with D throw, so he can feel what I feel when I'm killed with that BS B throw. Before the third round, he actually 'meditated' for 30 secs. He then 2 stocked me next match :/ (arrgh PK thunder stage spiking). Next time this happens, I will meditate too, so I don't lose my focus.

So I'm in losers, and first match was against this Kirito guy, who used Lucina. Nothing special. I won the games easily. Supposedly he was already burned out by all the matches he had to play.........yeah........

Next round, I had the misfortune of running into Sergio, which was a new face in the tourney, and which happened to be pretty damn good. He used Sheik, and after hearing before how he almost managed to beat our #1, I knew this was over for me. I used Shulk the first round, but he 2 stocked me. I sort of gave up the moment I lost the second stock. I switched to pit because supposedly the matchup is even, but my Pit is still in training stages and not high play ready, so I lost too, but I managed to atleast take a stock of him....

I also had some friendlies before the top 32 brackets, and there was this Shulk user (which I don't know if he mains him or not) and it was pretty interesting. I also landed a Buster Bair MALLC, which he forward countered, but it missed as I was in the invincibility frames of the pose. Pretty awesome and he was confused why the counter missed. I didn't explained him as I could had faced him in top 32 :V

Now for the next guy:
F.I.S.T (Fierce Invitational Smash Tournament)
KoG

13th Place :4shulk::4lucas::4robinm:
10/18/2015
74 Entrants
Customs(No)

I didn't watched all his matches, but we were talking in some Shulk dittos we had, and after we were both out of the tourney.

He was in another pool, and I think he won all the matches there. He almost used Shulk only, but I saw him use Lucas and Robin, his secondaries in pools. However, in top 32, he only used Shulk.

He also met his end at the hands of this Sergio guy, who had previously fought me. based from what he told me, he couldn't do much either.

We had some dittos afterwards and it was pretty fun. I never won once though, but I wasnt going too seriously as I would had if we had met in the brackets, and im sure he is the #1 Shulk player in my country, for now... (And I think I'm second, as the other Shulks we have seen aren't really their main character, and they aren't anything special either...) He taught me a good trick of landing back slash to opponents in the air. I ended myself falling for this a lot of the time, but I eventually got the hang to evade it. I will test this some more and I will post it in the metagame discussion. I asked him if he knew about MALLC, because I never saw him doing it, and he said yes, but he mentioned he found it difficult to execute it. On our dittos I applied some MALLC, and he noted the benefits from it, so I suppose he will practice it.

===========================================================================================

In the end, it was a fun tournament, as it was a different experience, and I also won the Club Nintendo Smash CD in a raffle!
I also learned some stuff from the other Shulk player, and I hope to apply it so I can continue making my Shulk better, and can't wait to participate in another tourney.
I wonder how many of you guys actually read all what I write :v (Sorry, I just find tourneys pretty exciting and I want to give as much details as possible)

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
GameKatz bi-weekly super smash bros. wii u tournament

Singles
Mace / REYN TIME!
4th place using only :4shulk:
October 25th, 2015
33 entrants
Customs: OFF

Doubles
Mace / REYN TIME! & A-A-RON = Banado's Powa!
1st place with me only using :4shulk:, & A-A-RON only using :4diddy:
October 25th, 2015
12 teams

Lots of fun things happened in Doubles. I pretty much enjoy playing Doubles with Shulk now. In my heart, I feel decent about using Shulk in Singles y'know, since no one around this area plays Shulk at my level as far as I'm aware of. So anytime people watch our matches when we play against the other higher seeded players like MJG or fource, they enjoy it. And I give 'em something to watch such as my scrooge / sharking with Jump art underneath all kinds of stages, stock tanking & stalling with Jump & Shield to the max. So. . .it's more fun. Shulk in Doubles imho is more fun always than Singles. I'm liking Doubles even more now that my partner & I are using more setups to confirm kills. One good example of this is Diddy's Uthrow followup to me, which I answer with a scooping Air Slash with either the Jump or Smash art depending on the opponent's character & my Rage. We killed a Luigi player with Smash art Air Slash when his percent displayed around ~77% off T&C's ceiling, so that felt really good. There was also a moment where the Luigi ledge-climbed onto the stage & I semi-charged Buster Dsmash, hitting him with the Blade hitbox of the first & third hits which prevents them from dropping their shield. This resulted in a shield break kill when his percent was at 0%;).

Anyway, I'm not feeling Singles truthfully. Doubles though? So much fun, & despite that it's weird & awkward because all this time, I'm actually very modest & I feel discouraged in-person to the point that I don't choose to share stock whenever I perform poorly, or I hit my partner too much out of going for tight opportunities intended for helping my teammate, I still hit him. So. . .yeah.

Good games to everyone I played, & Thanks for Playing~

Last edited:

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Canada Cup 2015
My Pools, Top 32 Bracket
TWILT :4shulk::4pikachu:
17th place
10/31/2015-11/1/2015
111 Entrants
Customs (No)

I did pretty good all things considered! There's some matches I really should have went Pikachu on (I'll probably never use Shulk against Sonic again ._.) and I need more practice against stuff like Luigi (and DK surprisingly enough), but overall, it was pretty fun. A more detailed on how my experience went here for anyone curious.

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
Avalon U

Singles
Scarhi
13th place :4shulk:
11/07/2015
128 Entrants
Customs (No)

Lost to Meru's Peach and Seworian's Toon Link. I wasn't confident in the Toon Link MU so I tried using Robin against him and lost xD Probably should've gone Shulk anyway. (I didn't mention Robin as a character I used since I didn't win a single game using him ^^)

Doubles
Scarhi and Yoren
5th place :4shulk::4robinm: Yoren used :4sonic::4sheik:
11/07/2015
46 Teams
Customs (No)

We mostly teamed up as Shulk/Sonic and Robin/Sheik and it worked pretty well :) The only time we went Shulk/Sheik in losers is when we lost 2-1 to a Little Mac/Villager team xD (I think I should've tried using Robin game 3. It probably would've helped contesting Little Mac's ground control. Should've tried Robin in winners too)
We had never tried Robin/Sheik before the tournament and it turned out to be a pretty amazing combination so we'll probably use it even more in the future, especially when we need to put more pressure on the opposing team x) (since our Shulk/Sonic team plays a little more defensive with Shulk acting as a support/stock tank by mostly playing keepaway)

It was a great tourney overall and I learned a lot, especially regarding match ups and character picks :D (I'm still going to try to win most matches using Shulk though :p)

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
GameKatz Bi-weekly Smash 4 Tournament

Singles
Mace
2nd place :4shulk:
November 8th, 2015
23 entrants
Customs OFF

Apparently, I have to get used to Luigi matchup now. I finally beat King's King Dedede, & beating fource's Diddy kong was a treat as well along with playing against other characters like Fox & winning somehow. I think he doesn't know the Shulk MU but we'll see in a week.

Doubles
Mace & A-A-RON = Banado's Power!
1st place :4shulk: & A-A-RON used :4diddy:
November 8th, 2015
9 teams
Customs OFF

A LOT of great things happened. I'm really digging our combos & setups this time, since we pulled off a great amount of successful team plays. Diddy Uthrow to either Smash Air Slash or if I had Rage, I'd use Jump Air Slash to finish stocks within the 70 - 110% range for a kill confirm. Then we had a sweet stage-wide followup, where I Bthrew in Smash art towards my Diddy partner using a Bair back to me while I already prepared a Back Slash hitting with the startup, which killed around ~100% =D. Replays were saved & good times were made. Ggs to everyone we played, & Thanks for Playing.
════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
Also, this tournament was the first tournament of implementing a power rankings list for this scene, & because of my good placings, I'm placed fairly high alongside our other players.

And finally, I was invited out to attend a tournament out in Lawerence, Kansas to take part in Hype Train 5. I heard this might be streamed & customs are legal, so, hopefully I perform decently well. I've also been invited to take part in a Crew battle & that's gonna be hype!

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
4th Life Smash Tournament

6th place :4shulk: :4robinm:
November 7th, 2015
16 entrants
Double Elimination
Customs OFF

This tournament holds many dear memories for me now. My fourth smash tourney, and still consistently getting top half or better. Technically, this is a 5th place tie, but Challonge called it based on my reaching Losers bracket first, despite having one more win overall. *shrugs*

What made this one special was the fact that I finally convinced a few of my friends from college to attend, all the way from the opposite side of the island. (I travel a similar distance, but from the bottom tip of the island...) Phil, Lance, and AquaClouds are their names on the bracket. It was way more fun, having friends to root for and to root for me, and discussing matches with them was neat. AquaClouds did particularly good, making it to 4th place, despite being a Marth main who mostly plays PM and Melee. We both ultimately lost to a Yoshi/Ness main who took second place, beating out the best Pikachu and Sonic player on the west side. In fact, I couldn't complain less as to who I lost to in tournament: 1st place champ knocked me outta winner's, 2nd place adversary finished the job later in Loser's.

Now, details on the matches:
Round 1: WindHero:4shulk::4robinm: vs. Scott:4myfriends:
This was a rather janky set overall, with some screw-ups on both sides. It started Shulk vs. Ike, and my opponent started remarking that his control stick wasn't acting right. Well, idiot me starts watching him too closely... and I SD pathetically. Some more shenanigans, and I quickly lose. Second game, I switched to Robin, he still wasn't sure about the controller but decided to try again (it was a very beat up looking GC controller). Partway through, I was wrecking him, and he finally noticed Tap Jump was off. I offered to restart the match and let him fix it, but he declined. After that, I pocketed the match. Third game, controls got fixed, I went back to Shulk, and he stayed Ike. Well, now that all was settled, I was in the zone, he was back in order, game on. I had a fair skill advantage, and once I saw how much he used Quick Draw, it wasn't extremely difficult to read him and stay ahead.
Won, 2-1.

Round 2: WindHero:4shulk: vs. Phungi:4sheik::4diddy:
Ahhh, Phungi, 2 (now 3) time champion on the west side, currently thought to be best on the island. (Hilo boyz still feel McDolo is better.) So, yeah, he plays to win, and plays the best he has available. In any case, I'm either very brave or very stupid for playing Shulk in these matches. However, the first match is a point of pride for me, as I managed to take a stock off his Sheik (:O), and survive a while against his second stock. But Diddy.......... Shoulda played Robin, methinks. He combo'd me so bad, took less than 20% during my first stock. Oddly enough, he got too overzealous during the second stock that he SD'd, but I still couldn't make a comeback in time.
Lost, 0-2

Loser's Round 2: WindHero:4shulk::4robinm: vs. Phil:4lucina:
Unfortunately, who do I go against in Loser's but my good friend Phil. We both knew, there was only one way it could end. I beat him, but promised to avenge him by winning. Since I didn't want to be too mean, I played Shulk first, and screwed around just a bit, losing one stock through carelessness. Then I played my Robin, my go-to for fighting Falchions. Between strings of Levin Sword aerials and well placed spells, I 2-stocked him. He was out of practice, but even during the days he was playing much more Smash, I was always three steps ahead. :4robinf:
Won, 2-0

Loser's Round 3: WindHero:4shulk::4robinm:vs. Connor:4kirby:
This set was extremely close. Connor has always been a close rival at these tournaments, and now that he has dedicated himself to playing Kirby, his skill keeps getting better. Not one match in this set was fought without being excruciatingly close. I started with Shulk, and had some trouble with Kirby's DAir comboing into everything at the start. Finally, I broke through, and began to chip away at him... Until he swallowed me and copied the Monado. With much Speed and Jump shenanigans, he gave me heck, but I finally saw the pattern to how he used my Arts (standard rookie Shulk tactics, lol), and took back the match, by a narrow margin. Not wanting to have a repeat, I moved to Robin, hoping he'd switch to Roy or Lucina (his other mains). Nope, Kirby. Long and short of it, tough match, both of us were at kill percent, and he got me first. Final round, he stayed Kirby, and I returned to Shulk. This time, I was better prepared for all the combos, and took him to Delfino so I could abuse the low ceilings here and there against Kirby's light weight. His Monado copying was predictable, and I kept them away from him for quite a while, but this time he tried using Monado Shield, interestingly enough. It was just as close as the first game, and it all came down to a hard read. He started getting impatient, trying to finish me, so I finally saw the moment, went for the hard read, and Vision countered his FSmash for the win.
Won, 2-1

Loser's Round 4: WindHero:4shulk::4robinm:vs. Chuck:4yoshi:
Ugh, Yoshi... This guy got 2nd in the tourney, and how he played, he deserved it. Yoshi is a character who I just need more practice against, much like Diddy. The eggs are especially difficult, as you can't FAir through them like most other projectiles. And whenever I dodged an egg, he was right there to punish my evasive maneuvers. Not much to say, really, except that I got a stylish kill on him with Robin at Delfino where he was at the top platform of one transition, and I Levin UAired him from beneath with the very tip of my blade for the KO.
Lost, ggs.

Worth noting, I played a decent number of friendlies afterward, and among other things, I beat Phungi's ZSS with my Shulk. Likewise, I beat AquaClouds in three matches, even 2-0ing with Robin. We're good friends, and I must confess I'm fairly familiar with his playstyle. I beat 3rd place winner's Sonic with Robin, and his Kirby with Shulk, but lost to his Pika and Ness.
Lots of fun, gonna keep training for next time.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
http://rvaforge.challonge.com/22singles
Anvil Smash Weekly #22
Plain Yogurt
33rd Place tie :4shulk:, :4lucas:
10/11/2015
42 entrants
No Customs

HAHAHAHA Let's NOT talk about this one huh? Lost a close set to the local Villager and then got trashed by this Metaknight player I'd never fought before. Not a fun week.

http://rvaforge.challonge.com/o4zyno80
Anvil Smash Weekly #25
Plain Yogurt
17th Place tie :4shulk:
11/1/2015
77 entrants
No Customs

Much better. Lost again to the Villager player, but again it was a crazy close set. It was the screwiest thing though: I landed the game-winning airslash but I got too close to a platform so the second hit got canceled out. I then stormed losers' as per usual until I faced off with our top Megaman player. I was surprised to take the first game (the Megaman is significantly more consistent than I am), but then he took a close second match and I decided to run with Shulk for the third game. I definitely think I could have taken it with Lucas. I really need to get a better handle on when I should bring out my secondary, even when I lose a close game with Shulk. Overall though that's not a bad player to lose to, especially at Anvil's biggest tournament yet. I still feel myself leveling up.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
KSM Hype! Train 5
Singles
Mace
November 15, 2015
48 entrants
Customs: ON

Pools were implemented:
Wave 1 Pool A
Wave 1 Pool B
Wave 2 Pool C
Wave 2 Pool D
Top 16

This tourney allowed Custom sets from EVO, but you were allowed to upload a different set if desired, which I took advantage of by uploading a 2122 set & replacing 1213. I rolled with 2122 for both Singles & Doubles & it was a huge payoff, netting me 2nd place alongside the assistance of using Decisive arts & Advancing Air Slash. Although, I forgot to upload a 2322 set for Doubles so whoops, but I at least got some good Back Slashes so no worries! Forreal though, Decisive Shield folks. USE IT.:shades:

KSM Hype! Train 5
Doubles
Junglechief + Mace
3rd place as :4sonic: + :4shulk:
November 15. 2015
16 teams
Customs: ON

Junglechief & I teamed up for the first time & we did right on. Shulk & Sonic are a neat team if I do say so myself. Sonic can control the stage & punish mistakes or followups nicely while I stock tank mad hard with Decisive Shield + AAS, so it's a very long & drawn out battle if the opponent team wants to draw it out longer.
═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
Also, there was supposedly some streaming done especially for the Semis & Finals of Singles, so I'll keep that updated & post the matches here when they're uploaded to Youtube. Or I could post the stream link and or matches in the Video thread.

EDIT: And also. . . I had another heart-warming moment at the tournament. While I was playing my matches, players watching were stoked seeing my game-play & were actually interested in playing the character. And one of the TTO crewmates came up to me & told me that I'm his idol & that he wants to play Shulk as a Secondary. I joked around a bit in conversation but I supported his suggestion with some pointers about the character despite of my bashful modest nature. Honestly though, I almost heard five people mention that they want to play Shulk or pick up the character after that tournament. I don't know how truthful it's going to be, but this is the second time I've had a great heart-warming moment of support & praise, & I thank you guys & for playing the character. I hope to keep on with showing the Monado's Power around my scene if I can.

Last edited:

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Kings of the North 4
AmericanDJ
49th place:4shulk::4robinm::4falcon::4marth:
11-21/22-15
122 entrants

Here's my pool just for reference.
On Day 1, basically half the people in my pool were disqualified and the two people I fought made it out of pools and so did I.

On Day 2 I faced a Morton player called Mito and used Falcon and Robin in that set. I lost that set and then faced a Pikachu player called OJOE. I went Shulk and Marth in that set and lost, but I'm overall proud of how I did for my first tournament and I hope that I can attend more.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
GameKatz Bi-weekly

Doubles
Mace + A-A-RON = Banado's Powa!
Mace as :4shulk: or :4yoshi: & A-A-RON as :4diddy:
November 22, 2015
12 teams

Teams are fun as always. However, for some cases, I felt like I had to choose Yoshi just to escape some crazy ****. Still though, I was doing strong with Shulk in Doubles, for the most part. Unfortunately for Singles, I didn't use Shulk at all, except for like, one set out of the 9 sets. So no results to give for Singles this time. I guess you could say that I wasn't feeling up for playing Shulk.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Kings of the North 4 - Bracket Link
Pools Link
Erico9001
17th :4shulk:
November 21-22, 2015
122 entrants
Custom Moves off.

My first major. Man, I'm pretty proud of this placement. Placed among most of the top players in Wisconsin and the guy who sent me out of winners. And hehe, neither my pools nor my bracket were easy :0. The exciting thing is I have ideas on how to increase my skill by a lot.

For the record, I was using ALL of the arts about equally :)

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
I've placed well in plenty of local tournaments in South Florida, but I've never really felt the need to post about it. This is a little different, though. This isn't a local tournament.

MVG Presents: The "Frame Perfect Series"
Tremendo Dude
9th :4shulk:
November 21, 2015
136 entrants
Customs off

Last edited:

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
LANWAR X
21 November 2015

Doubles Bracket : 24 Teams
Paradigm & A2E (:4shulk: & :4lucario: = This is the Monaura's Power!)
9th Place Tie
HoH_Darkwolf & HoH_Venom (:4shulk: & :4ryu: = Shulkryuken)
3rd Place
**These two put Ally and Holy into Losers bracket. Goddamn.

Single Bracket : 100 Entrants Total
Paradigm (:4shulk:): 33rd Place Tie ( i.e. I went 0-2 in bracket ;v; But I didn't drown in pools for the first time at a major!)
HoH_Darkwolf (:4shulk:): 7th Place Tie

I included Darkwolf's results because I don't think I've ever seen him on Smashboards before... correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll post VOD links in the video archive thread later (i.e. once they are all uploaded). There was some absolutely phenomenal play by Darkwolf, as well as the doubles set of my career thus far, that were streamed. Overall, it was an incredibly fun event!

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Well, I scrubbed out massively yesterday, only 12 people showed, and I placed 12th. I don't even know... I was late, didn't get time to warm up, and Wii U is so much different for me...

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Reporting for a tournament update on my part:

Smash Cafe 2: Kinds of Calzone
Singles
Mace aka \ReynTime
I don't know, somewhere around last place:4shulk::4miisword:
December 16, 2015
11 entrants

I uhh, flubbed this one. Shoutouts to my friend Jeremy (James23 [should of been Jams23]) making it 4th place.
═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
DI OR DIE THE RETURN
Singles
Mace aka \ReynTime
1st place:4shulk:
December 19, 2015
29 entrants

Some of the matches were streamed, especially the quarters / semis / finals. I'm happy that I finally took first in one of these tournament series for Wii U. It'll get archived & matches will be uploaded to Youtube so there's that.
STOCK OR CLOCK SERIES (Hosted by GameKatz)
Singles
Mace aka \ReynTime
1st place:4shulk::4yoshi:
December 20, 2015
21 entrants

I was having a struggle in Grand Finals versus Dedede. The moment that it was looking bleak for me, I made the switch to Yoshi & turned it right around winning Grand Finals. I would of decided to use Lucario but I haven't gotten a good grasp of his patch changes just yet, & Yoshi felt like a good shift to turn to once I felt like my Shulk wasn't sealing the deal. It was the first time I made a character switch this whole tournament.

Doubles
Mace aka \ReynTime & Zen (Team name: Teenagers with Attitude [I wore a Green Ranger hoodie:p])
1st place me as:4shulk: & Zen as :4littlemac:
December 20, 2015
9 teams

Surprisingly, this team looks like, "woah what?", but it turned out nice. We kept each other safe with covering our landings & getting someone off each other. Anytime I'd get grabs it was usually with Speed or Shield, but with Shield I'd feel better in case I got hit by KO Punch, since I know I'd live it by praying to Monado Armour god. At one point, Zen did a Jab combo into his finisher hit & I leaped up to finish with Air Slash scooping for the KO. Air Slash is seriously some hype stuff! And whenever I was in Buster, even if I hit my teammate on accident, it was never a bad thing due to me helping him fill KO meter sooner & giving some slight amount of Rage;)
EDIT: editing for a tournament that took place yesterday.

Smash Cafe 3: Festive Fight Night Weekly
Singles
Mace aka \ReynTime
2nd place:4shulk::4cloud::4yoshi:
December 23. 2015
21 entrants

Mostly played Shulk for this one. T'was fun as the name suggests.:p

Doubles
Gioboi & Mace
2nd place Gioboi as :4villager: & me as :4shulk::4yoshi::4lucario:
December 23.2015
8 teams

It was a great lack of teams to compete with, but the fun was still had. Ggs to everyone & Thanks for Playing~

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
4 Pillars December Smash Fest!
6th place (mostly :4shulk:, with three matches as :4cloud:):4shulk::4robinm:
December 27th, 2015
22 entrants
Double Elimination
Customs OFF

This ended up being the second largest tourney we've had, and boy was it fun. It also marked the fall of our long running champion, Phungi! However, he was beat by the resident Pikachu, who gets 2nd quite often.

Had some pretty fun matches, went up against the TO first, who uses ZSS. He was really doing great against me in the first match, until I saw three things: he overuses DAir, he never grabs, and he wasn't using UpB for offense. Once I saw these things, I cut loose a bit more, and turned it around. In fact, I 2 stocked him in the next game.

Next was newcomer Shrek, who gave me a tight game against his Captain Falcon, after which he switched to Luigi. That one... was actually pretty easy. -_- He got a sweetspot UpB, but it didn't kill.

That's when I came against the eventual champion.
His Pikachu wrecked my Shulk something good, I really need to review the MU. I switched to Cloud, and went to Delphino, hoping the walk-offs and water would help mitigate Cloud's recovery problems. I got rid of the first stock, was doing well... Then came the canal. Welp... Pika just chain-FAired me like a Sheik all the way off the map, using the walkoff to land and continue the string. I was DI'ing like mad, but to no avail. Oi vey....

Loser's, went up against our resident Doc and Lucas player. He's pretty close to a rival for me, I'd say. First match, he went surprise Sheik, and beat my Shulk after doing a suicide DAir spike earlier in the match. Then he went Falco, and I took him on with Cloud for the win. Finally, Cloud vs. Lucas. I almost had him... but fished too hard for the finish, and lost.

GGs all around!

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
http://dcesportslans.challonge.com/cfas12302015_smash4
dhblademaster
17th place tie (or 22nd I guess) :4shulk:
Date of said Tournament: 12/30/15
How many entrants: 41 Players
Customs: No customs

I wanted to get in the top half of the bracket, but for my 2nd tournament, I thought it went pretty well. I got a lot of matchup experience that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. I placed better than my friends so, that's alway a bonus. ;)

In the first round, I faced a Dr. Mario. He basically rolled all over the stage and threw pills at me. But, luckily, I was able to throw him off the stage and finish the job. He switched to Peach afterwards and it was more of the same. Turnips and "Ha-Chas" and rolls (Hooray).

In the second round, I ran into Average Joe when he was working on his Fox. That was an adventure. I got smoked in the first game, and the second game didn't go much better. I almost got a stock in the second game though so, progress!

In the third round, I faced a Jigglypuff player. I had a lot of fun, especially since Jigglypuff was one of the few characters that I had played before. Plus, Jigglypuff is pretty fun overall. He went for a few rests, but I got lucky and avoided them all. I also landed a back slash, which is always fun. ;)

In the fourth round, I faced a Peach player. The scores of the game looked close, but it didn't feel close. During the second game, I felt like I had no way to approach. But hey, I got a stock off in both games so, progress!

I also met esteemed :4shulk:@Plain Yogurt at the tournament. We didn't get to play any Shulk dittos, but I think we could make a Shulk doubles team when it's doubles week at this tournament. And hey, you can never have too many Monado boys at one tournament.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
http://dcesportslans.challonge.com/cfas12302015_smash4
Plain Yogurt
33rd place tie :4shulk:
12/30/15
41 Players
No customs

Guuuys I SD'd FOUR TIMES in TWO SETS, two of which were in the SAME GAME. Like GEEZ. :hulk: I was really jittery for some reason and I just kept losing track of my jumps and then the one time I seemed to just fall past the edge when I thought I was gonna land on it. Bad day. But yo I would definitely be down for Shulk Squad next week if I'm not doing anything. dhblademaster dhblademaster

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
Genesis 3
FOcast
1/15/16-1/17/16
5th place tie/17 in my pool (64 pools = 320/1096), all :4shulk:
1096 Entrants
No Customs

Going 3-2 in my pool gives me the same placing as I got at NCR a few months ago, but the competition here was MUCH steeper. I lost to Vinnie (in round 2) and Warchief's Falco (those two took 1st and 3rd in the pool, respectively). Vinnie was a shutout, but I feel like I could've taken the games against Warchief with better play. Overall, I've very happy with my quality of play, though I would've liked to get better placing.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
http://rvaforge.challonge.com/bcocugj5
Anvil Smash Weekly #34
Plain Yogurt
1/3/2016
65 entrants
No Customs

We tried 3-stocks for this tournament. Pretty solid start to the year. I sent one of our higher-level Rosalinas to loser's in a super-close set only for an even better Rosa to take me down. Then I took a guy I've never taken a set from down to game three, which I was pretty proud of. He got 2nd with Cloud, so I can't be mad about that.

http://rvaforge.challonge.com/3085y5y0
Anvil Smash Weekly #36
Plain Yogurt
1/17/2016
42 entrants
No Customs

Not so happy with this one. I played extreme well against a Dedede player and then I went last stock last hit twice with one of our best plyers (he picked up 5th. He beat me with Link but he also plays Diddy). So I was feeling really good about my loser's run, especially when I noticed I'd be playing a guy Id beaten about 10 times in friendlies. Then suddenly I played autopilot nair-plane and got wrecked by his Olimar. I dunno, I just got antsy about having all those Pikmin eat me alive I guess I just wanted to beat the crap out of him and it killed my play. Gotta keep my cool more consistently.

Speaking of consistency, this is the fourth Anvil a row where I've gotten 17th. I THINK I'm happy about that but I know I can do better.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Updating all the tournaments I've been to:

Smash Cafe 4: Triple Threat
Singles
Mace aka \ReynTime
3rd place:4shulk:
December 30th, 2015
20 entrants
Customs: Off
CoMoMo 10 - Boost on Trial
Singles
Mace aka \ReynTime
January 2nd, 2016
Pools were involved but they didn't use challonge so, Idk the exact amount of entrants. Maybe 30 entrants. This will be edited in later when I get the sources

Doubles
Boneless & Mace
. . .
. . .yeah this will be edited in later when I get the sources.
STOCK OR CLOCK SERIES
Singles
\ReynTime
5th place:4shulk:
January 3rd, 2016
26 entrants

Doubles
"I'll never lose to anime!" starring \Reyntime & A-A-RON
2nd place me playing as :4shulk: & A-A-RON playing as :4cloud:
January 3rd, 2016
9 teams
Smash Cafe 5: Toasted Raviolis
Singles
\ReynTime
1st place:4shulk:
January 6th, 2016
15 entrants
JCCC Weeklies Smash Bros. #9
Singles
TTO | ReynTime
2nd place:4shulk:
January 8th, 2016
33 entrants

Doubles
Mace & Boneless
1st place me playing as :4shulk: & Boneless playing as :4robinm::4robinf:
January 8th, 2016
9 teams
DI OR DIE Wii U Singles
Singles
\ReynTime
January 9th, 2016
22 entrants
Smash Cafe 6: My B Movie
Singles
Mace aka \ReynTime
January 13th, 2016
11 entrants
STOCK OR CLOCK SERIES
Singles
\ReynTime
January 17th, 2016
20 entrants

Doubles
The People's Elbow starring V5 dansdaman & \ReynTime
1st place dansdaman playing as :4falcon: & me playing as :4shulk:
January 17th, 2016
7 teams
Smash Cafe 7: There's a Pizza Place Nearby
Singles
Mace aka \ReynTime
4th place:4shulk:
January 20th, 2016
21 entrants
JCCC Weekly Smash #11
Singles
\ReynTime
3rd place:4lucario::4yoshi:
January 22nd, 2016
42 entrants

Doubles
\ReynTime & T^Boss
1st place me playing as :4shulk: & T^Boss playing as :4diddy::4falcon::4sheik:
January 22nd, 2016
11 teams
WFGA & Wichita Melee Present: Slast XIII
Singles
TTO | ReynTime
4th place:4shulk:
January 23rd, 2016
48 entrants
Customs: On, using 2122 as my primary set including: Decisive Arts, Back Slash, Advancing Air Slash, & Dash Vision

Doubles
Freezinate! starring TTO | ReynTime & TTO | Very Freezer
Technically unfinished because time restraints with the TOs having to pack up, but we were sitting in Winners Grands & we probably were going to win. I was playing as :4shulk: & Freezer playing as :4luigi:
January 23rd, 2016
13 teams
Customs: On, I was using 2122 as my primary set including: DArts, BS, AAS, & DV. Freezer used 1111
Hype! Train 6
Singles
Pool A
Pool B
Pool X
Pool Y < I'm there
Wii U Top 16
TTO | ReynTime
January 30th, 2016
67 entrants
Customs: On, I was using 2122 as my primary set including: DArts, BS, AAS, & DV

Doubles
The Freezing Monado starring TTO | ReynTime & TTO | Very Freezer
1st place, me playing as :4shulk: & Freezer playing as :4luigi:
January 30th, 2016
12 teams
Customs: On, I was using 2122 as my primary set which includes: DArts, BS, AAS, & DV. Freezer used 1111
Annnnnd that's it, for now. I'm sorry I had absolutely no input or comments or feedback about any tournament I've attended, but the one that mattered the most to me was Hype! Train 6, & getting 3rd place in that felt really good. Plus there will be some footage of Shulk game-play so stay tuned!

Last edited:

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
February Friday Fight Nights – Super Smash Bros.
TrueSapphire
2/12/16
8 entrants
Customs (No)

It took a long time, but I finally attended my first local “tournament”. The rules were Bo3, 5 stocks, single elimination, no time limit and no stage bans. The Wii U consoles were recently bought, so no DLC characters or other unlockable legal stages. :confused:

And of course, I used my 3DS controller.
Round 1 – vs Vash :4littlemac: | A tier player | Two Final Destinations | [Win 2-0]

I know a bit about this player since I have been watching my local fights online. As expected, he is a good Mac player that can recover well in most situations. Despite our close fights, he did seem very worried after I won the first match because he was thinking really hard against my Shulk play. He even considered switching to Sheik.
Semi-Finals – vs :4falco: & :4marth: | Two Omegas | [Win 2-0]

I forgot this player's name. This set was my easiest one. I had some good highlights like my Buster Art pressure, Jump Art edgeguard kill, and even some stage spikes. This player also fought a Shulk player (probably his secondary while also using a 3DS) in round 1 and won. I feel happy that I won with my Shulk. :smirk:
Finals – vs Lycan :4diddy: | S tier player | Battlefield & Final Destination | [Loss 0-2]
Lycan is ranked 2nd in Las Vegas (the first being the legendary FOW :4ness: | S+ tier player), so I knew this was going to be a formidable fight. Lycan's banana play was really good, and I had a hard time piercing his defenses (either using Shulk's Bair or empty hops into grabs). My most glaring mistake was landing away, but get hit by the banana. I tried to edgeguard, but he usually air dodges at the right time. Both fights were close, but Lycan became the champion of this tournament. Due to this set, I must learn and fight more experienced Diddy Kong players. But at the very least, it wasn't a completely one-sided battle against a Power Rank player.

Other Thoughts:
  • The Wii U version is so gorgeous and smooth! :love: When I first play it, I think it was a tiny bit slower and floaty compared to the 3DS version. It's probably my imagination.
    • During the tournament, I get to play friendlies with Lycan's :4metaknight:. I lost 0-2 on Final Destination and Town & City.
  • We originally had 7 entrants, and I would have gotten a free pass to the semi-finals. However, Vash showed up, so I had to play 3 sets instead of 2.
  • During my first two sets, I managed to appeal the crowd with my Shulk play (Usmash read at the ledge or stage spike with Fair or Bair). There was one time where I used Smash Art when I was over 100%, and someone behind me said, “Whoa, that's ballsy.” I tried to make use of rage, but I lost that stock.
  • The grand prize was $250, but this tournament was not promoted a lot. If Lycan did not show up, I would have won that money! :urg:
  • No stream, so I can't analyze my mistakes against Lycan. I had to go with my memory.
  • After the last game, we had a few prizes to players at random. I wanted the gaming mouse because I wanted to replace my wireless mouse, but lady luck was not with me. :ohwell: I ended up getting a casino card with points. And yes, the tournament was in a casino, so it makes sense.
Overall, it was a good experience for my first local “tournament”. Maybe if I go to a tournament with a proper ruleset, I would consider that my true first tournament. As always, I still have much to learn, and I hope to attend more future tournaments (like EVO 2016)! :grin:

Last edited:

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
Reset the Bracket #14
dhblademaster
5th Place :4shulk:
2/19/16
22 Entrants
No Customs

Round 1: :4shulk: vs. :4cloud2:
So, I started off with a hot blonde battle for the ages. If I could describe this battle, I would say that, both Shulk and Cloud got an intense calf workout. We both were in the air a lot, what with my Nairs and his empty hop or Limit charges. Game 1 was on Town City (my favorite stage) and it wasn't that close. I got a 60% string in Buster off at the beginning of the first game, and that really set the tone for that particular battle. Game 2 was on Final Destination. This game was super close. It ended with me dying from a Forward Smash at the edge at 90. :/ I was in Jump Mode at the time, so I wonder if the extra damage I took from the attack was enough to kill me whereas I may have survived in vanilla. Game 3 was on Town and City again, and, it was super close. It came down to me countering his Up B at the ledge, which got the crowd excited.

Round 2: :4shulk: vs. :4corrin:/:4shulk:
This was my first of three Corrin matches. The first battle was on Town and City. I felt like I was in control for most of the first match, but I got my fair countered twice near the top of the stage, so that wasn't fun. Oh well. I went back to Town and City for the second game and was able to win. I learned to wait out his counters so, that helped. I was able to kill him on the last stock with a Forward Smash on his standard getup. That was fun. :) The last match was on Smashville, and he decided to go Shulk, which was a shock to me. I didn't expect anyone else to have a Shulk. He tried to do a lot of MALLCs, but they didn't work too often, so, I was able to punish him a bit more than when he used Corrin. This set was super duper close as well, and was also fun and exciting.

Round 3: :4shulk: vs. :4lucina:
Lol, this one didn't go too well. This Lucina did a really good job of punishing Shulk's landing options. He basically kept me in the air for most of the match and I didn't do too great job of landing. I was able to get a stock both games, and I didn't feel overwhelmed, so, that's good. Hopefully with more improvement, especially with landing, I'll do better. This player actually ended up winning the tournament, which, that in itself is super cool! Go Lucina, right?

Round 4: :4shulk: vs. :4corrin:
So, this match was a little bit.... interesting. This player played Pikachu for the entire tournament, but decided to go Corrin against me. Round 1 was on Bridge of Eldin omega, which was tons of fun. I was able to punish him off stage a bit, and I think I did a good job of playing neutral. I was really satisfied with my spacing, especially with down tilt. It's actually not a terrible option against Corrin. Also, Corrin can avoid Forward tilt if you try and punish his down air. So, jab seems like the better option. Game 2 was on Town and City, and I did better. Lol, I honestly don't remember much from the second game.

Round 5: :4shulk: vs. :4ness:/:4corrinf:
Okay, these Corrin picks were starting to become a trend. We played the first game on Town and City, and, for my first time playing the Ness matchup, I'm really happy with how the match went. I only recall getting grabbed once. And I almost got a zero death on the first stock. I was able to wall out Ness with my Nair, Fair and Bair really well. And I ran around in Speed mode, which is always fun. :) Game 2 he switched to Corrin. This game was closer than the first game, but I was able to win, thanks to Buster mode. (Yay)

Round 6: :4shulk: vs. :4pikachu:
So, this was a super fun match. I've never played a Pikachu before, and it was fun to see what they do. I made a huge mistake letting him go to Lylat game 1. I didn't know Pikachu could Quick Attack Cancel so easily on the stage. :p So, I got overwhelmed by aerials and quick attacks. I did get one stock though, with Smash mode Jab of all things. Apparently it kills of the top. Who knew? :p He banned Town and City for game 2, so I decided to go to Gaur Plain Omega. I actually almost won this match, which is great considering how I got gimped at a really low percent. I learned that Pikachu is really hard to hit. Like, Bair doesn't really hit Pikachu too often. Oh well, it was a fun match.

So, I guess my biggest take away from this tournament was, it seems like people think that Corrin is the counterpick of choice against Shulk. Range beats range I guess? I'm not really sure why so many people went Corrin. But, I got some Corrin experience so, yay! I also love looking at the seeds for the Winners Quarters. The matches were 1v8, 4v5, 2v7 and 3v22 (me/last seed :p) Overall, this tournament was super fun, and it's a weekly, so, I'm hoping to return Shulk time to this tournament next week!

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
Reset the Bracket #15
dhblademaster
5th Place :4shulk:
2/26/16
26 Entrants
No Customs

Round 1: :4shulk:vs. :4marth:
So, my first match was another sword duel. This was actually my first game seeded higher than last. So, I was super happy about that. :) Both games were very similar. They were both on Battlefield. My opponent was fairly content to just stand there and jab so, that was kind of tough to get around. I also got countered, a LOT. Like, I got my backslash countered in Buster mode and took 36%. Whoops. :p

Round 2: :4shulk: vs. :4lucas:
This match was against what I like to call, my "smash bro". It was so much fun. We went to Omega Gaur Plain every single time, and we set the music to "Engage the Enemy" every single time so, you know that it was a hype set. :p This was a really emotional set. I'm really happy with landing a lot of smash mode smash attacks, and not getting flustered by flurry of PK Fires. I honestly don't have much to say besides that. I just had a lot of fun playing against my friend. And hey, I beat the player who got 2nd place so, moral victory! :)

Round 3: :4shulk: vs. :4mewtwo:
So, in Winners Quarters, I played the person who ended up winning the tournament. I posted the set in the video thread, so I don't think I need to explain too much, but let me just say, wow, Mewtwo is good. lol, I had no idea that Mewtwo could do half of the things he could do. Like, Up air the Back air is a combo?! What?! I could've done a better job landing, again. Like, I usually play with a bit of YOLO in mind, but, I made a few hard reads that were a little too random. Oh well. The Mewtwo player was really nice, and I hope to play him again soon.

Round 4: :4shulk: vs. :4cloud:
So, in this match, I played another one of my friends that I brought to the tournament. We played on Omega Coliseum both times and tried to get the "Lost in Thoughts All Alone" song to play. I ended up two stocking him twice. I was mostly able to space around his smash attacks the entire match. I did get hit by a lot of his Nairs though. Cloud is kinda fun to play against though, mostly because his sound effects are so meaty. I think I landed a MSBDJCUS off of down throw, and anytime I can use that acronym, you bet I'm going to mention it. :p

Round 5: :4shulk: vs. :4luigi:
Round 5, brother vs. brother. I should've gone Mario just to make the "lore" better. :p My brother is a super good Luigi. This matchup is kind of interesting, I think. I basically had to do everything in my power to outrange Luigi so I wouldn't get comboed from 0 to 60%. I was able to two stock him on Town and City in game one. I did a good job of avoiding kill moves, so I was able to survive in Shield Mode for a long time, and also rack up damage with Buster mode using the rage that I had. Game 2, we went to Smashville. And, it was pretty sloppy. I did really well getting rid of his first stock easily, and the second stock was going really well, but then I SD'd. Luckily, Luigi misfired'd underneath the stage and couldn't get out. A rare double simultaneous SD. Pretty great, huh?

Round 6: :4shulk: vs. :4metaknight:
This was my first time playing the Meta Knight matchup. And actually, I don't think it went too terribly! I didn't get Up Aired to oblivion, so that's good. I tried to switch to shield mode as soon as I got Up Aired, and I think that, plus DI saved me. Although, while my defense was pretty good, I don't think my offense was that great. I didn't get the best punishes off of his whiffed Shuttle Loops, and I struggled to approach. In fact, I must have done a great Buster Mode combo at the beginning of Game 1, because, in Game 2, the Meta Knight decided to run to the other side of the stage. Buster Mode is scary then, huh. Well, after playing this match, and watching Esam's video on Meta Knight, I definitely feel more confident in this matchup.

So, this tournament was also super fun! I made a few new friends, especially with the Mewtwo player. I'm hoping to get more matchup experience with Mewtwo, and maybe I can help out with that matchup advice if a thread is ever created. This was a super emotional tournament what with having a lot of my friends at the tournament and having them do super well. I'm hoping to bring Shulk time again next week. Let's go for 5th place for the third week in a row huh? :)

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
dhblademaster dhblademaster Unrelated, but do you have any tips for fighting Clouds in the air as spacing and which aerials I should throw out. Reading the last pagr of thread made me believe you have great experience in the Cloud
matchup.

Also what should I do when cloud jabs beat Shulk's I've been on a losing streak vs Cloud and it feels like im fighting a Little Mac with all of those fast moves and superior frame data compared to Shulk.

One more thing, has anyone here fought good Villagers and Falcos? Need help with Villager's fair/bair and Falco's fair off stage. Tends to stuff my aerials and approach.​

Last edited:

FOcast

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FOcast763
Smash @ Kin #7
FOcast
3/5/16

Singles:
5th place tie :4shulk:
31 Entrants
No Customs

Doubles:
FOcast :4shulk:/Saris:4cloud:
3rd place
8 teams
No Customs

I had a splitting headache all night, and played better than I ever have. Weird how that works. In singles I faced a Ganon/Corrin who I usually beat, then won against a Mario who is around my level, and got my first win against a Power-Ranked Rosalina. He may be #20 on our 20-person PR, but I'll take that as my first win against a current PR player. After that, I lost to a previously ranked Sonic who I've never beaten, and then to a Greninja/Falco who I've gone back and forth with.

Doubles was interesting. While we were playing friendlies, the TO said "We need one more team or doubles is canceled!" So in the middle of my match, I shouted out "Who wants to team with me for doubles?" I heard someone say they were down, so I went and registered us without having met this guy or even knowing his tag. Turns out Shulk/Cloud makes a great team, and we both played really well. Match 1 we won against an Ike/Bayonetta team, both people I usually beat. Second we fought "Cloudy With a Chance of Upsmash", a Cloud/Mario team with the Mario I fought in R2 of singles. Then we lost in Winner's Finals to a double Sonic team with the Sonic who beat me in Singles Quarterfinals, then lost Loser's Finals to a Ryu/Lucario - the Lucario being the Greninja/Falco I lost my last singles match to.

Overall, I'm very proud of my play last night. I didn't do nearly as well at the bigger Foundry tournament on Thursday, but I was definitely really feeling it here. =)

Top Bottom