• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data "Now it's Shulk Time!" - Shulk Tournament Results

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
eyeGO Smash 4 for WiiU
Hosted by LetsPlayKW (outdoors, of all places :O)
notyourparadigm

9th Place Tie :4shulk: :4pit: :4darkpit:
5/09/2015
'31' Entrants
No Customs

This was my first ever tournament! While I expected far worse for myself I still think I learned a lot from how things turned out. I only played 7 matches and 3 opponents in total, as my first opponent was a no-show (and he wasn't the only one, hence why 31 is in quotation marks). Out of those 7 matches, I only played 2 as Shulk... which were also the only matches that I won. In all honesty, I was rather afraid to use Shulk simply due to the match ups that I faced. It seems as though Pit (Dark Pit was for a Rosalina MU) needs a lot more work, and that I need to have more faith in Shulk. If I spend as much time practising Shulk as I do, I need to use him like a main. If I want to consider Pit a main, I have to stop neglecting him in practice. Of course, I shouldn't be dismissing the fact that I also faced against extremely good players. I felt incredibly out-classed. I'm excited to go back to a tournament in the near future! I hope I can play more actual matches next time, regardless of my placement. Friendlies are great, but it wasn't until I sat down in the real deal that I started to see what my opponent and I were truly capable of doing.

Bonus Fact: If you'd all like to get a good chuckle, I lost my very first tourney stock at ~20% to a G&W 9. The spectators all lost it, but suffice it to say I was less than thrilled... what a way to start.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
https://www.facebook.com/events/894007283971766/
Anvil Smash Weekly #3
Plain Yogurt
5th Place tie :4shulk:, :4villager:
5/24/2015
22 entrants
No Customs

Got knocked into loser's earlier this time around cause Kirby's balloon gumball body fell out of my FSmash. :dizzy: Of course if I was good I would've pulled it out and won anyways. My last match was against a DK who I thought beat my Shulk pretty solidly, so I left up to my Villager to bring it to a last-hit game three and I got a Bair to the face. Phooey. DK's giant limbs make getting back onstage so messy.

Last edited:

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
Offthelan #1
Scarhi
9th :4shulk:
6/6/2015
104 Entrants
Customs (No)
Man that was an intense tourney! I got knocked out of winners' bracket pretty early by a :4rob: player (Vanaheim), I had no idea how to play that match-up O_O I think I should've spaced him out with Fairs instead of Nairs (it seems easier to space our Fair against ROB's Nair)
Then I won 4 pretty close matches in losers and ended up losing 2-0 to Bjay (:4sheik:). I CP'd Battlefield R2 but that might not have been a good choice against Sheik. I got outplayed pretty hard, too, he adapted to my habits so fast ><
I still got a long way to go but I'm pretty satisfied overall ("this is a good result!")

Offthelan #1 Doubles
Scarhi + Yoren
3rd:4shulk:+:4sonic:
6/7/2015
18 teams
Customs (No)

I really think Sonic might be one of the best teammates for Shulk. Yoren and I hadn't practiced our team at all before the tournament and we still managed to take out some pretty good teams. Sonic can handle two opponents so well that Shulk can be fully played as a supporter/stock tank, by taking advantage of the numerous openings Sonic creates and by being able to play a campy Shield/Jump art playstyle at high percentages.
Besides, the combo potential is amazing! Sonic's Bthrow comboes into Shulk's Uair, and his Dthrow's trajectory is so low that it comboes into Shulk's Usmash at kill percentages. It should also combo into Shulk's Fsmash or Dsmash (not tested yet)
It's also worth noting that Sonic's Uthrow can be followed-up with Jump art Shulk's Uair, and that Shulk's Fthrow and Bthrow set the opponent up perfectly for Sonic's offstage Bair.

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Keep It Classy Vol 5
SilentDoom
7th :4shulk: :4olimar:
13th June 2015
93 entrants

Went for Shulk the entire thing barring one set vs a Diddy. This was a real fun, hype tournament. Great atmosphere overall. I was happy overall with how I played and feel like I was generally back on form again after the lacklustre results from the past couple of tournaments I went to. Not salty about my losses and I'm very happy about some of the comebacks I made throughout the tournament. My mindset was just in a good place I guess.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
https://www.facebook.com/events/1584782978442942/1587489324838974/
Anvil Smash #6
Plain Yogurt
9th place tie :4shulk:
6/14/2015
27 entrants
No Customs

Ugh...so much for my triumphant return. A Ness player I knew I would've beaten soundly two weeks ago went and upped his game something fierce and then I got tripped up fighting a Greninja offline for the first time. Shulk not being able to autosnap easily with airslash got me killed numerous times in both matchups (PK Fire and Hydro Pump). And with plans the next few weeks I won't be to try and redeem myself for a while...Really frustrating.

AshKetchup

Smash Rookie
Here to report my results from a couple online tourneys I placed in.

Hypest - Wii U Singles - NA East
AshKetchup
2nd :4shulk:
6/19/2015
18 entrants (a few people left midway through)
No customs

I was honestly surprised I got this far. This was my second online tourney and I was nervous because I had heard of Hypest before, so I expected some big names and fierce competitors to be there. The turnout ended up being lower than usual, but overall I still did well. Lost to a very skilled Rosalina.

SSBFWU - 23
AshKetchup
4th :4shulk:
6/27/2015
46 entrants
No customs

I had some really close calls in this one. I got knocked into Losers' bracket early, but kept working my way through it. I ended up losing to an incredible Sonic player. I'd never seen movement like that from a Sonic (which almost sounds weird to say since it's Sonic), and a little bit of research revealed he regularly gets top placement in online tourneys, so it felt good to have the opportunity to face him.

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
http://smashboards.com/threads/cfas...-results-manassas-va-updated-7-8-2015.407809/
Wednesday Night Strikes (7/8/15)
Plain Yogurt
7th place tie :4shulk:
7/8/2015
29 entrants
No Customs

I'm actually super happy with this result. I'd been feeling kinda bummed about Shulk at the time and was thinking about dropping him (you can see some earlier results where I was fiddling with Lucas and Ike). But I had so many fun, intense matches this day against some really solid players that I'm ready to keep learning this character. I beat a few Rosalinas and to my surprise I think that that's actually a really fun matchup figuring out how to best deal with Luma and how to catch Rosie afterwards. Makes you REALLY think about which art you should use.

Unfortunately the one Rosalina was primarily a Megaman player and he took a solid game 3 to send me to losers. Then after a close first loss against a Villager later in bracket I SD'd in the first 10 seconds of the second match. :( Definitely not the way I wanted to lose, but oh well. Here's hoping Anvil Smash goes well tomorrow!

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
So my Shulk got completely bodied today. Got 0-2'd by a Bowser Jr. right off the bat, then my first loser's bracket match was against a Fox which went about as well as you'd expect. I called Lucas in to pick up the slack and I ended up not winning a single game with the Monado boy. Should I still record my results?

So my Shulk got completely bodied today. Got 0-2'd by a Bowser Jr. right off the bat, then my first loser's bracket match was against a Fox which went about as well as you'd expect. I called Lucas in to pick up the slack and I ended up not winning a single game with the Monado boy. Should I still record my results?
Eh. Why not? I guess

What happened with the Jr btw?

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
http://smashboards.com/threads/anvil-smash-10-7-12-15.409980/
Anvil Smash #10
Plain Yogurt
13th place tie :4shulk:, :4lucas:
7/12/2015
45 entrants
No Customs

@ Berserker. Berserker. Long story short I lacked the matchup knowledge to know what was punishable and what wasn't. I was too impatient and with Shulk that's definitely not helpful. The guy would just throw out smashes sometimes and they got me just about every time. Then I finally land a decent vision and the stupid mechakoopa interrupted it. It was just a rough day, and then like I said my first loser's bracket fight was against a Fox, which Lucas bailed me out of, followed by Ness, which Lucas also bailed me out of and then fought for the rest of my run through loser's. Pretty frustrating because of how great I felt last Wednesday. :dizzy: Maybe next time. At least I know that my Lucas is reliable as a secondary.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Viewer Tourney 7/13/15
Zatchiel

2nd :4shulk: :4myfriends:
7/13/2015
42 entrants
No Customs

Eliminated by the same ROB in winner's bracket and grand finals. Nearly reset the bracket, but alas. Got a lot to work on. I'll post the set momentarily.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
https://www.facebook.com/events/1612936095624487/
Anvil Smash #12
Plain Yogurt
7th place tie :4shulk:
7/26/2015
53 entrants
No Customs

I was playing out of my mind tonight. I've never felt so on point with this character guys. I can't for the youtube video of my last set with a Sheik player to come up because even though I lost darn it I made a SET of it. Also, I have been officially converted to the church of Starting With Monado Shield @ Masonomace Masonomace and everyone else who talks about it. I punished so many people for hitting me today...It's not perfect but it is WAY better than I've been giving it credit for. "This is a good result!"

I can't for the youtube video of my last set with a Sheik player to come up because even though I lost darn it I made a SET of it. Also, I have been officially converted to the church of Starting With Monado Shield @ Masonomace Masonomace and everyone else who talks about it. I punished so many people for hitting me today...It's not perfect but it is WAY better than I've been giving it credit for. "This is a good result!"
Aaaaaye. Yay. Been starting with shield more often against Sheik and the matches are waaay closer and I even manage to win matches now with the tactic

Church of starting with speed be like:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
http://dcesportslans.challonge.com/cfas07292015_smash4
Wednesday Night Strikes (7/29/15)
Plain Yogurt
13th place tie :4shulk:
7/29/2015
40 entrants
No Customs

Hmmm...Coulda been better. I definitely could have won both of the sets I lost. On the other hand that would have left me fighting Boss if I'd won against Valdis or a ROB player who was bodying me in friendlies (How the frick does Shulk do ANYTHING to ROB? Would've needed the mayor's help for sure...) if I'd beaten Gold, so I ended up probably being around where I should have been I guess. I got revenge on Rupee's Villager though! Mashed a Vision through a timber growth to end a tough game 3. I'll take it.

Also, sorry that I've been randomly picking from FB pages, Smashboards pages, and now Challonge pages for tournament links. Is there a preference for which I should post?

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
http://letsplaykw.challonge.com/TTSm4shjuly26
Toonie Tourney, July 26
Paradigm
13th Place Tie :4shulk:
7/26/2015
39 Entrants
No Customs
Eh, should I start including some of my weekly results? Last Sunday I lost in winners to Knives (:rosalina: main) confirming for me the fact that I still have a considerable Rosalina problem. I also did something VERY dumb in Game 1-- we traded percents rather evenly in our first stock, but I was first to get KO'd. Rosa was at ~95%, and thought to myself that a Smash ftilt would be able to KO... but all it took from Rosa was jabs --> uthrow -- > rage uair to know that I messed up. Died at ~20%. Whelp. Mistakes were made, lessons were learned. Hoping to fix my issues vs Rosas very soon, as my local scene has two Rosa mains who consistently place Top 10. It's very likely that'll I'll regularly face at least one of them early-ish in bracket, which will always hold me back from facing the other top players in the region if I let this continue...
My losing set in losers was actually a new face to our weeklies, and he played a very tricky :4link:. He was good -- much better than any other Link main I have ever faced. But all the same, I was rather frustrated with my loss, as I did see his habits and patterns... and just was unable to properly work around them and capitalize on them. I suppose a lack of proper MU experience will do that, as I had idea how to shut down his typical zoning strategies without getting punished myself. Might be that I just struggle in general with good defensive play, as I'm used to people trying to go really aggro on Shulk.

----
EDIT: Might as well toss this in this post too and avoid a (nearly) double post

http://letsplaykw.challonge.com/TTSm4shaug2nd
Toonie Tourney, August 2
Paradigm
5th Place Tie:4shulk:
8/2/2015
25 Entrants
No Customs
I was very, VERY pleased with how I played in this weekly! Lost 2-0 in winners round 2 to one of our best :4sheik:mains, Señor Teemo, but I can personally say I did not make it an easy win for him. Both games were last-hit of last-stock scenarios, and sadly my opponent found an opening before I did. I also SD'd once in both games (well, oncee was technically a gimp, but I allowed it by using my double jump too early like a fool), but the ability I had to keep both games so close really gives me confidence that I am finally figuring out ways to make this MU not impossible. All I can say is that I am really loving Jump for this MU, but then again it might just be a counter to how my opponent was choosing to play Sheik.
I then made a run through losers, but was halted by two very convincing two-stocks by Azdiff's :4pikachu:. Now I have next to no experience in this MU, but learned quickly where the issues arise. Both games played out nearly identically-- fairly equal percent exchange first stock, but with me unable to net a KO against the little guy once we were at kill percent. Azdiff is a very good player too, and is amazing at mixing up his landings, especially with QA. My lack of ability to edge guard Pika and inability to punish moves or make a successful read against Azdiff means no KOs, haha. Time to put work into learning this MU, too!

Last edited:

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
Dat Smash 6
Scarhi
7th :4shulk:
08/01/2015
96 Entrants
Customs off

Got 2nd in my pool, only losing 2-1 to NW (:4metaknight:) - I had no idea what to do about his Uair strings , so I got killed at 35% by his upB a few times in the set, but even then it was pretty close and was a good warm up for the brackets since I had to play a really safe neutral game to avoid these strings x)

Then I won a few matches in winners bracket and got knocked into losers by Griffith (:4fox:). The MU's still really tough, even without the jab infinites, Fox just makes us approach and has the dash speed and OoS game to punish really hard every time Shulk commits to something. I still feel that it's winnable, but it seems that we have to work much harder than the Fox player in order to do so :/

I then won a few losers bracket matches (including an epic set against Plastic Poptart :4pit: that went to last hit for every single stock of every single game of the set xD), and then lost on stream against Wilksy15 (:rosalina:) by actually SDing 3 times in the whole set and playing poorly in general >< I just don't know what happened - maybe I got stressed, maybe his pressure game was so much on point that I got scared and started playeing clumsy.
Losing that way kinda made me realize how important the mindset is when you go to a tournament. Even if you're on point with your character, your reads and your match-ups, you have to be consistent under pressure and that's something I'm probably lacking right now.

I had a really fun time though, and I learned a lot! =)

(and shoutouts to @ Virum Virum who got a really tough bracket at that same tournament! ^^)

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
http://smashboards.com/rankings/anvil-smash-13-singles.7850/event
Anvil Smash #13
Plain Yogurt
17th place tie :4shulk:, :4lucas:
8/2/2015
51 entrants
No Customs

Blahhh...talk about unlucky 13. I was going relatively even with the local Mega Man player when a crash bomb blew up while I was air slashing. Buffered a Back Slash on accident. I really should get in the habit of using A for the second swing. Then I just fell apart against a Ness player again. As a former Ness main I've never realized just how demoralizing and stressful he is and PK Fire just KILLS air slash off stage. I should have brought in Lucas for game three but game two was literally last hit. UGH I'm so inconsistent. Here's to Smash Con!

Double posting because Smash Con. Merge it if you want I guess? Just dropping in to tell you guys I was one game from getting through phase one of pools. Winners final I lost two close games to a Rosalina player. Game one we were both at high percents and I whiffed a dashing USmash and game two I just got outplayed. Then I took a ROB to game 3 where he beat me pretty solidly. Why does ROB have to be so annoying?

So that's a wrap for my first major. I learned a lot! Well...mostly that Sheik's fricken' impossible, but I got some good MU experience with other high-tiers. Money well spent.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
http://supersmashcon.challonge.com/g203
Super Smash Con
MarioFireRed
128th place tie (I think?) :4shulk:,:4falcon:
8/7/2015
739 entrants
No Customs

This is pretty much as far as I got in Smash Con last Friday. Advanced out of pools phase one through losers after two byes, being sent to losers by a DK 1-2, and winning through a Luigi 2-0, MK/Falco 2-0, Ness 2-1, and beat the same DK 2-0 in losers finals. Once pools phase 2 started I immediately got bopped 0-2 by a Sheik and her shenanigans, god now I know how it feels to actually face her now...

I only used Falcon twice in the tournament: Game 2 against the DK losers finals to secure the set win and Game 2 against the Sheik to avoid getting 2 stocked (and even managing to make it last hit until I screwed up an aerial and she BF's).

MALLC served crucial during most of my sets and was the thing that helped me to win them so it was nice to know that this tech is very viable in tournament play.

Not bad for a first tournament I guess. I managed to at least get through a phase of pools so that's a neat accomplishment. I did learn a lot though such as Shulk needing a secondary in certain matchups and just how powerful a higher tier character can actually be without much practice.

Last edited:

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
The Construct 29 - Smash 4 Doubles
Erico9001 :4shulk: + Jeiss!!! :4mario:/:4falcon:
3rd
28 entrants, 14 teams.
Customs (evo pre-sets, so no dash vision with decisive arts...)

The Construct 29 - Smash 4 Singles
Erico9001
9th place tie :4shulk:
47 participants
Customs are legal, again.

=
First of all, I got kind of lost on the way to the venue. I thought the smash 4 singles started at 11, and that I was going to be really late. Turns out, the Smash 4 singles started at 2, the VENUE opened at 11, and the TOs got lost and arrived several minutes after me. While waiting to get in, a person approached me and asked me if I wanted to be his doubles partner, for his usual partner could not make it. After some discussion, I agreed. That's right, it was our first time meeting :).

When in doubles, which started at 12:30, we kept doing quite well. I used 3123 at first, and had success, but for most of the event, went with 2123. >Decisive Shield is a great stock tank. Uhh, my partner kept telling me he did bad and that I was pulling the weight, and tbh, he was correct! However, this lead to some very hype moments. Very often, after my partner exhausted his shared stock, I was left against the apposing 2 people. ...And I kicked butt XD. Every match drew a crowd, and people were very excited when I did things. 'twas fun. It was double elimination, and we lost both matches to the same team. It was a Sonic using no customs and a Shulk using 3113. The Shulk was not really a threat to me, but his power visions kept killing my partner. The Sonic ended up being the bigger issue. We ended up 1v1 several times, and he kept winning. But still, we made it to semi-finals, which was neat, considering most teams there had known each other before hand and actually practiced. Also worth mentioning: for most of the doubles, I was listening to intense Xenoblade music through my headphones.

Superlux HD668B

Anyways, singles started. I went 3 matches without losing a game. As a Bronado who was there told me, I was really killing it. However, after worrying about it beforehand, I found myself facing the same Sonic who gave me issues in doubles. He won pretty convincingly. I told him he is a great Sonic player, and he thanked me and told me he was actually in the top 100 on Anther's before the update. I believe it. Boy, do I not like facing Sonic though. Idk what I'm doing wrong.

The next person I faced was a mechon. A ROB player. ROB has always given me troubles... and to little surprise, the results were the same as against the Sonic. Though, I do believe it was due to the MU, for this ROB player went to face a DDD who I actually did quite well against during the 1v1's in doubles. The DDD actually beat the ROB. I see this as confirmation that it is in fact the MU I need to work on, rather than general Shulk skills. Maybe the MU is bad, but tbh, I'm not very experienced in it. Maybe I can ask Miko in the Shulk Skype group for some matches.

So overall, I won back my 15$, made one Pikachu/Falcon player salty about customs, made new friends, and learned. And still, above all else, it was fun!

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
Smashdown#3
Scarhi (they misspelled it Scahri in the bracket though xD)
17th place tie :4shulk:
62 entrants
No customs

Man, that bracket hasn't been kind to me, I lost to Elexiao's :4greninja: in round 3 of winners (he ended up getting 2nd) and had to face Nudd's :4falcon: (who ended up getting 3rd) right afterwards xD
My games against Nudd pretty much went to last stock last hit, pretty amazing games...well, except for an SD from me at low percentages during game 2 >< It might've gone differently had I been more careful but well, it happens, and Nudd played amazingly well anyway ^^
So yeah, I was a little bit disappointed about losing, but seeing him getting 3rd in the whole tournament kinda made me feel better about it xD

I gotta stop SDing though, it's been two tournaments in a row that it happened to me lol

Last edited:
Yeah. I REALLY hate it when I SD out of no where. It always gets me, especially when I'm at loser's ;-;

TrueSapphire

Smash Apprentice
Past me should have posted my first result back in July, but past me was too stubborn to find another available tournament so that I could post two results. And now, I finally did it.

3DS Singles (1v1)

(Wifi) Nukes 3DS Tourney #3
TrueSapphire
1st place tie:4shulk:
7/10/2015
30 entrants
Customs (No)

Yeah, I did it! ...Sort of?

I got knocked out to losers due to my blunder (so salty!), then I worked my way up all the way to Finals Bo5 like a pro. I won all three games surprisingly well, but since it was double elimination, we were supposed to have another set, but we didn't. Even so, I would be satisfied with 2nd place. Note that the Challonge bracket's final results is a bit misleading.

Here is my post for the full explanation, if interested.

(Wifi) WE TEC THOSE! Smash 3DS Online Singles
TrueSapphire
1st place :4shulk:
8/15/2015
14 entrants
Customs (Yes) (If both players agree, but I fought no custom opponents. 1111)

It was supposed to be 30 entrants, but only 14 checked in. It was funny that I was in the waiting list, and I ended up joining the tournament. I made it all the way to the end without getting sent to losers! The only difficult opponents were Apple Kid's :4ness: and Mechon's (I am not kidding by that name :crazy:) :4fox:. Ness was my Grand Finals opponent again, but I took it with 3-0. The tourney was slower than usual (4 hours long), but I finally got over it. Reading my opponent with my Smash Art and using Buster grabs helped me a lot!

As of this post, I've been through 3 tournaments (2nd | 1st tie | 1st).

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
So I attended my first offline tournament for Super Smash Bros WiiU.

Super Smash Katz
http://kcsmashbros.challonge.com/f9dbsdhh
Mace
1st as :4shulk: 100%
August 28th, 2015
25 entrants
Customs: On / sets mostly used: 2123, 1122, and 1111

I remember facing ganondorf & Pit round 1, Captain Falcon round 2, Sonic round 3, Ike round 4, a Diddy Kong in Winners Finals, and another Diddy Kong in Grand Finals. I didn't think that I'd win in Grand Finals because Fource the Diddy player had swell banana setups that urged me to use a mixture of arts questioning myself on some of those decisions, and he reset bracket making it really close but Decisive arts ftw, especially Decisive Smash Dthrow. We both had a few SDs throughout the matches but overall this was an educational experience. I didn't get any replays really, but my winning kill to end the set was a ledge-drop into doublejump Dair drawing Fource to me while I drifted towards the stage and meteor smashed him down around ~60%, which was a notable hype moment to finish off on.

I also got to meet @Amazing Ampharos at this tourney who got 4th place. Frankly I was shocked that I got the chance to meet him in-person and shortly after Grand Finals we played some friendlies. Shulk dittos were fun and his RosaLuma gave me quite the hassle, and after those friendlies, I thought to myself that If we played in bracket I'm sure he would have put me in Losers. Another cool and fun passtime we did was 4v4 quads team battle. AA and I were team captains making up some team ideas here and there, but those matches were intense and very difficult to keep track of everyone. A great sum of awareness is required but it's something I'd be down for playing again.

Ultimately, some good games were held and I'm glad my friend mentioned to me about this place. Grand Finals againt Fource was struggling but from what I heard, the crowd of players were rooting for me, and to me that was heart-warming. Now I feel better about Primarying this underrated character that I spent a good amount of time and commitment into, and it inspires me to polish my play-style hoping to perform even better.

P.S. Decisive Speed, Decisive Shield, Decisive Buster, and Decisive Smash, thank you. You too Advancing Air Slash.

EDIT: And Back Slash got a good amount of mileage as well.

Last edited:

gridatttack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gridatttack
So here are some tournament results I want to share with you guys. These 2 tournaments were my first ever tournaments for everything...I never done a wi-fi one, neither a local one, nor assisted to a tournament of any other gamebefore. These monthly tourneys are both ranked, so after some more time, they should be rolling a list with the rank position for my country.

Frozen Throne 1
gab and mijango
25th place tie and 9th place tie :4shulk: and :4shulk:
7/26/15
52 players
Customs(No)

So yeah, I ended up in 25th place. As for my first tournament, I feel I could have done much better, but they were some factors which dragged me down...

First match was a breeze. On the second round I lost to a pikachu main, which almost 2 stocks me the 2 matches.

I eventually lost to a ryu who was spamming forward smashes. Pretty lame, but at least that experience made me to start practicing and I saw my errors there.

Overall, for my first tourney, I feel I had an acceptable performance, but I could have perhaps done a bit better.

Now for the other one:

Frozen Throne 2

Grid
13th place tie :4shulk:
8/30/15
48 players
Customs(No)

This was a good tournament. I went with all I had and I feel ok with my 13th position. I fared better here because I didn't wanted to repeat the same situation as before. I managed to train some days before the tourney took place, so I was prepared. I tried MALLC, but I didn't used it to its full extent because I only practiced like 2 days before it. Still, even if they were a bit too late, I pulled MALLC that reduced considerably my ending lag, which became crucial in one match because it netted me the winning KO.

I got knocked in the second round again by the same guy who destroyed mijango the previous tourney. I got 2 stocked me with captain falcon, and then read a roll with bowser forward smash which killed me pretty quickly...but it wasn't a 2 stock. I suppose I got destroyed too, but not as shamefully as the mijango guy did (got pwned by a warlock punch and a broken shield)

The first round in losers bracket, some guy was deliberately trying to pick fast characters so he could rekt me (because I won against his friend in the first round) He was going to pick up fox, which I was like 'Oh damn...', but he picked little mac. I managed to beat him easily because my cousin plays little mac, so I knew what was coming. The winning KO was a countered foward smash, which was awesome. He then straight switched to diddy kong, but it wasn't that good and I won the match without having a hard time.

The next round in losers, was against a decent Ike player. The fun thing is, we were playing friendlies in the 3DS version before the fight, so we couldn't believe we had to play each other (as we already knew what to expect) I won 2-0, and in the second match, a late MALLC netted me the win, as I did B air, so the guy went to do a F tilt.

Next match was against a Toon Link player. This wasn't so bad, but it got close in the end. I read his edge roll to get the winning KO. He then switched to sheik, and I thought I was going to lose there, as again, I never actually faced a Sheik to know what to expect (other than seeing videos, in which F airs and bouncing fish are plenty)

IIRC he got the first KO. He then SD after trying to return to the stage because he charged the needles instead of using Up B. I then got an U smash when he was getting up form the ledge (I think I was in Shield, I cant remember) Ended up winning 2-0

Eventually, a good diddy kong main knocked me out of the tournament. I never faced a good diddy, so I had no idea of the matchup (grabs, grabs everywhere) He won the first match and I won the second. The third one was pretty close. I lost because I accidentally switched to buster, while I wanted Shield, so buster activated right when he hit me...

All in all, I feel content with my performance there, but there's room to improve, especially MALLC and spacing.
I had a friendly with the pikachu guy again, and he beat me (pikachu, y u so small), but I didn't had a hard time as I did in the past tourney I definitely need to practice this matchup too.

I'll share the results of next month tournament, hoping I can maintain my position or reach a higher place, as well as letting people know Shulk is not a bad character (which most people here think that)

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
4 Pillars August Smash Bros Tourney - http://challonge.com/4pillarsaugustsmash

Chris N (WindHero)
9th Place - :4shulk::4robinm:
August 30, 2015
18 Entrants
Customs: No

So, this was my second tourney, at a local monthly. I just barely made top half, getting a tiny prize for my effort. I did better in my first tourney (9/32), but I wasn't using Shulk in that one. Double Elimination, 2 stocks, Wii U, the standard stuff... Barring PilotWings being legal. :p

I was the only person using Shulk in the tourney proper, though one former Shulk main was there. I actually did some 1v1 dittos with him prior to the tourney, and won both matches. Ironically, he was the one who knocked me out of the winner's bracket, just by a hair. Kirby's Monado Arts aren't a problem... Unless said Kirby is a former Shulk main. :p Can't remember who he chose for the second game, but I think I remember it being Ness or Lucas... I should have won, but got too eager when I had the advantage. Then in loser's bracket I switched to Robin, and got boy'd by Roy, then out-spaced by Lucina. Overall, I had a lot of fun, but I have to try harder next time, and play a little smarter. Also worth noting I was playing with a 3DS controller.

One point of immense satisfaction, however, was my round 2 match: Fox. (:O) So, I went in expecting a tough match, and probably a loss... But then I 2-stocked him for both games. Also had a match against ZSS, but my opponent took me to PilotWings... Where I basically was a dirty rotten U-Tilt camper. For never playing on that stage before, I did pretty good, sealing the match rather comfortably.

These tourneys will be monthly now, so hopefully I can keep trying, college permitting. The local scene has a much higher level of play than I imagined...

erico9001

NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Construct 30
Erico9001 (that's me!)
tied 9th - :4shulk:/:4link:(1 game)/:4pikachu:(1 game)
August 29 2015
34 Participants
Custom moves: Off

Meh. Lost to the same Sonic as last time, and lost to another, but different, ROB. Rather disappointed, though, 9th isn't bad. I pulled Link out vs the ROB, and actually did better even though I am not nearly as good with Link as I am Shulk. Still lost, but barely. Pulled Pikachu out as a desperate attempt vs that Sonic, and sd'd twice XD.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Construct 31
Erico9001
3rd - :4shulk:only
September 6 2015
45 participants
Custom moves: Still off.

I did quite well this time! Decently satisfied. Lost to two very good players. I feel like I could have gotten 2nd if I had made some better decisions (and not SD'd that one time), but hey. Also, I am definitely sure I would have gotten 2nd if customs were on.

This was my first time facing a good Diddy Kong player... and he is also PR'd 2nd in Wisconsin. ha. Anyways, if you want to watch these final two matches where I lost, feel free to:
http://www.twitch.tv/eventhorizon/v/14761070
Start at 5:21:00

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
GameKatz Labor Day Smash Singles
Mace
2nd as :4shulk: only
September 06, 2015
45 entrants
Customs: On / sets used: 2123 & 1122

I had more to mention in my last post than this. I just told myself as I got there to try getting top 3 with doubts in my mind, so I'm content with my performance and the effort needed to just get by. I remember playing against Charizard, Sonic, Robin, RosaLuma, Diddy Kong, Falco, King Dedede and Yoshi in the same set, and maybe a Zero Suit Samus but my memory of the matches is fading. I was knocked out of Winners Finals and put into Losers Finals by Amazing Ampharos who I feared would put me in Losers back then. Overall, this was a larger and more exciting tournament and I'm hopefully going to be a regular there. I'm starting to understand the Diddy MU a bit more kudos to fource who goes ham, and RosaLuma is a MU I wish to polish on.

One thing I've noticed on Lylat is ledge-dropping doublejumping towards the stage puts me underneath the lip awkwardly and I've lost stocks I wished I didn't, so I'll work on that and mess around with Lylat sometime. And Castle Siege is awesome, I enjoy counterpicking there now.

--------------------

GameKatz Labor Day Smash Doubles
Team Name: "This is the Banado's powah!"
Mace = BANADO'S
A-A-RON = POWA!
1st as :4shulk: & :4diddy: only
September 06, 2015
13 entrants
Customs: On / sets used for Shulk only: 2113

I won't lie, Decisive Shield lived some ridiculous moments and Power Vision in Doubles being cheesy as you'd expect was the usual. Shulk and Diddy are quite a neat team, and this was the first time we met each other so I was curious about our synergy, but it turned out fine despite we killed each other once or twice in means of trading in some cases. Decisive arts feel right at home in Doubles and I dig all of it. Aaron and I did some dirty things, plus Decisive Smash Forwarded Power Vision is soooooooo silly. . . We may end up being partners every time we go.

Soo. . Ggs and Thanks for Playing!

EDIT: Actually, it may seem questioning that I didn't roll AAS with Decisive arts, but instead regular AS because I would Decisive Jump more frequently so that I could go deep to save my partner going ham mode off stage and I managed to keep that in mind as it helped nicely a couple of times. Add Rage to the result and DJump Air Slash launches one so high that they go above your second hit by the time you finish delaying it, which is one way of saving a life. Air Slash's first hit never kills, so it's perfect for a save scoop.

Last edited:

dhblademaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
dhblademaster
3DS FC
3737-9562-1267
Name of Tournament: Aftershock 4/Top of the Food Chain
Player name(s): dhblademaster & NaCl
Placing and character(s) Doubles: 4th out of 8 teams:4shulk: + :4link: (H-Town!!!)
Singles: 6th out of 18 players: :4shulk:
Date of said Tournament: 9/19/15
How many entrants: 8 teams in doubles, 18 in singles.
Customs No customs.
For my first tournament, I think I did pretty well! I played doubles first with a friend of mine (who doesn't play smash 4). We won our first set 2-1 against a Mario and a Wii Fit Trainer, but then we ran into the buzz saw that was Boss and TC1. So, yeah, we lost. But we got a few stocks off of them so, that was nice. Then we played a Link and a Pikachu and beat them 2-0. In one of those games, I came back from a 2-4 deficit and ended up winning! Go shield art! Next we played another pro team consisting of Fox and Falcon played by Snow and Blur respectively. These games were kind of close, but we still lost 3-0. And finally, we played a team consisting of Fox - Lucas. We were so close to breaking even, but we ended up losing 1-3 and getting fourth.

I think I did much better in singles than in doubles. First, I played a Falcon/Ganondorf and won 2-0. Then, I played TC1's Kirby, and even though I lost 2-0, I felt like I did pretty well. Then, I played an Ike/Pikachu and won 2-0. I almost got a perfect on the Ike as well. :p In losers quarters, I beat a Rosalina/Roy 2-0. The Rosalina game was super close and was another example of how awesome Shield art is. And lastly, I played a Lucas in losers semis and lost 1-2. These were possibly the closest games I've ever played, so I'm happy with the set, even though I lost. Sadly, I didn't get to play Boss in singles. I know what would have happened, but still, it would have been nice to get the experience. So yeah, I'm glad I went and had a lot of fun.

I can't find the link to the bracket on challonge, but I do have the link to the Facebook event page, so I guess I'll post that...
https://www.facebook.com/events/1685741658325864/

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
Smashdown #4
Scarhi
7th :4shulk:
09/20/2015
Out of 49
Customs (No)

First time I make it into top 8 here in France, yay! Lost to Glutonny :4wario: in winners and Dany:4sheik: in losers. I got outplayed pretty hard by both of them but they respectively got 1st and 2nd so it's not too bad xD
It feels so hard to be consistent while playing Shulk (even more so in a 2 stock environment)... I feel that if I don't adapt fast enough to the opponent's playstyle, I can get trashed really easily whereas other characters can just throw out moves without commiting and get more safe opportunities to safely test how the opponent will react. I'm probably going to train my Villager as a secondary for those situations where I can't seem to adapt fast enough with Shulk :)

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I attended a local tournament yesterday, held at Game Cafe.

Event: DI Another Day Wii U Singles & Doubles
Wii U Singles bracket
Mace
4th as :4shulk: only
September 19, 2015
13 entrants
Customs: Off

Basically, this tournament from just looking at numbers sounds easy, but it wasn't. This tournament was actually the hardest to place for me because better players came by to attend this event which was exciting. In my head it was more exciting because I heard MJG was coming & that fired me up. So Round 1 I faced a Pit player who had a decent thing going but for the record I had a good amount of control dictating the match essentially. I made a few small mistakes on reads but the matches felt decent. Round 2 I faced a Luigi player who basically knew the character enough going for options you'd expect, but thankfully Shulk has this tool called Monado Buster.;) No matter if Luigi was shielding or was grounded getting hit by my Buster moves, he'd be pushed back enough to be losing stage control thus giving me the Advantage. When I got enough Advantage & went for edge-guards, I then did what Shulk should do & edge-guard Luigi hard with Monado Jump. When Jump expired going on cooldown, Monado Smash would take its place for 10 seconds until Monado Jump returned off cooldown. Round 3 I felt was the hardest part for Singles. Round 3 starring MJG's Villager game 1 & 2 was struggling because he definitely knew his character better than any Villager I've fought, which isn't much of a surprise but bottom line was that I learned a good amount from his Villager. Anytime he set up a stellar edge-guard position with tree & bowling ball after I grabbed ledge, I just thought to myself "Mason, Jump art is active. Show them the Monado's power", so I scrooged underneath Battlefield & reset the situation without a tree involved. Villager can't run that fast to maintain edge-guard control after the patience watching what I did. So yeah, I got stomped but I was honored to fight MJG for the first time, so it felt good. Round 4 I faced a Zero Suit Samus who unfortunately SD'd on her last stock on game 2, but I also SD'd first stock on either game 1 or 2. It was unfortunate but for the most part we still had good matches. Round 5 I faced fource the Diddy player who at this point I consider a rival even though I never out loud said it. At this point he knows about my planking strategy basically using Shulk's disjointed aerials to poke through the stage whether it's F-air, B-air, or U-air, he's aware of it. So now, I got the respect with my ledge-game but I never really thought about the respect & got back to the stage without too much thought about it, which is a mistake. I know now what I should think about when those moments happen, because I always wanted to do this planking strategy with Shulk's aerials, but I never thought past that step. I didn't think about what I could afterwards because I was so used to this recent game-play of getting people away from the ledge that I usually ledge-dropped & doublejump airdodged towards center stage with Jump art while they stuck around the ledge playing patient. Fource in this case was playing it safe & being unpredictable & answered with banana in hand while shooting peanuts, which was a staple wall to do in Brawl. It messed with me at first, but then I just timed my airdodge to Z-catch the peanut & then fast fell to the ledge closest to the very end of it so I could be safe from his banana throw distance just in case. Game 1 he played so safe & patient waiting for me to approach & make moves that I played his game without realizing it on my own end playing whatever I did, & it ended up finishing the game in a Time-out. Overall, Singles was fun as I got to play better players but I'm still experiencing tournament-play since I've only attended 3 local tournaments so far.
═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
Wii U Doubles Round Robin
Mace + Marty
3rd as :4shulk: & :4falco: only
5 teams

Because there was so little teams entering, they did a RR instead. I teamed with Maximum_Marty who I never played with or met before until this tournament, & so we did some discussing about some kind of strategy we'd use. I went over the Shulk essentials, told about what my arts did in a nutshell, what I could do with Air Slash for life-saving, telling that I could cover high or low with edge-guarding, & he went from there telling me his setups & what we could do off of them. This tournament basically taught me that Doubles are fun 'cus duh, ofc they are, but I realized that I should find a Doubles partner I can team with more often to compliment my style & how I play. Teaming with Falco was weird because it was my first time doing so with the character so I didn't really know much on what I should of done. Despite all that, we did some cool things & the most hype moment that got my heart pumping was when we played fource & MJG on Castle Siege against their double Diddy Kongs. My partner died kinda early with me remaining with two stocks while fource had three or two stocks, & MJG had two or one stocks. I can't remember the stock count, but I basically went Monado MALLC Ham Mode because I pretty much had to. Any aerial I used, whatever place I was landing, I knew I had to MALLC much more & harder than I ever would do. I actually don't MALLC that much, but in that moment my partner died becoming a 2v1, I only thought about MALLC because again, it was that moment where anything I did could of been unsafe, so I did what I felt I had to do just to keep up with the 2v1. I almost brought it back taking MJG's stock(s) & got fource to either his second or third stock, but in the end we lost. I remember surviving for so long & it was all thanks to the heavy usage of Jump Speed & especially Shield. Shield rocks!

Also, there was a moment later in the RR matches that I got a double kill with Smash art + Rage Air Slash near the ledge & their percentages were relatively near the 80 - 90% range, so that felt good. I had to put in a taunt for that moment, but yeah, this tournament was fun to the max. Ggs to everyone I played in Singles and everyone Marty & I played against in Doubles. Thanks for Playing.

I unfortunately don't remember everything that happened, whether the moments were in Singles or Doubles, but still, this was fun. I hope I get to play MJG in friendlies & the C. Falcon player who came by getting 2nd next time.

EDIT: Oh. . .and before I forget, whenever Doubles ended, MJG told me that he liked what he saw when it came to my Shulk. That was really inspiring to me, and after this tournament I realized things I should seriously change about the way I play & focus on much more options with Shulk. I hope I can improve even more from here on.

Last edited:

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
I attended a local tournament yesterday, held at Game Cafe.

Event: DI Another Day Wii U Singles & Doubles
Wii U Singles bracket
Mace
4th as :4shulk: only
September 19, 2015
13 entrants

Basically, this tournament from just looking at numbers sounds easy, but it wasn't. This tournament was actually the hardest to place for me because better players came by to attend this event which was exciting. In my head it was more exciting because I heard MJG was coming & that fired me up. So Round 1 I faced a Pit player who had a decent thing going but for the record I had a good amount of control dictating the match essentially. I made a few small mistakes on reads but the matches felt decent. Round 2 I faced a Luigi player who basically knew the character enough going for options you'd expect, but thankfully Shulk has this tool called Monado Buster.;) No matter if Luigi was shielding or was grounded getting hit by my Buster moves, he'd be pushed back enough to be losing stage control thus giving me the Advantage. When I got enough Advantage & went for edge-guards, I then did what Shulk should do & edge-guard Luigi hard with Monado Jump. When Jump expired going on cooldown, Monado Smash would take its place for 10 seconds until Monado Jump returned off cooldown. Round 3 I felt was the hardest part for Singles. Round 3 starring MJG's Villager game 1 & 2 was struggling because he definitely knew his character better than any Villager I've fought, which isn't much of a surprise but bottom line was that I learned a good amount from his Villager. Anytime he set up a stellar edge-guard position with tree & bowling ball after I grabbed ledge, I just thought to myself "Mason, Jump art is active. Show them the Monado's power", so I scrooged underneath Battlefield & reset the situation without a tree involved. Villager can't run that fast to maintain edge-guard control after the patience watching what I did. So yeah, I got stomped but I was honored to fight MJG for the first time, so it felt good. Round 4 I faced a Zero Suit Samus who unfortunately SD'd on her last stock on game 2, but I also SD'd first stock on either game 1 or 2. It was unfortunate but for the most part we still had good matches. Round 5 I faced fource the Diddy player who at this point I consider a rival even though I never out loud said it. At this point he knows about my planking strategy basically using Shulk's disjointed aerials to poke through the stage whether it's F-air, B-air, or U-air, he's aware of it. So now, I got the respect with my ledge-game but I never really thought about the respect & got back to the stage without too much thought about it, which is a mistake. I know now what I should think about when those moments happen, because I always wanted to do this planking strategy with Shulk's aerials, but I never thought past that step. I didn't think about what I could afterwards because I was so used to this recent game-play of getting people away from the ledge that I usually ledge-dropped & doublejump airdodged towards center stage with Jump art while they stuck around the ledge playing patient. Fource in this case was playing it safe & being unpredictable & answered with banana in hand while shooting peanuts, which was a staple wall to do in Brawl. It messed with me at first, but then I just timed my airdodge to Z-catch the peanut & then fast fell to the ledge closest to the very end of it so I could be safe from his banana throw distance just in case. Game 1 he played so safe & patient waiting for me to approach & make moves that I played his game without realizing it on my own end playing whatever I did, & it ended up finishing the game in a Time-out. Overall, Singles was fun as I got to play better players but I'm still experiencing tournament-play since I've only attended 3 local tournaments so far.
═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════
Wii U Doubles Round Robin
Mace + Marty
3rd as :4shulk: & :4falco: only
5 teams

Because there was so little teams entering, they did a RR instead. I teamed with Maximum_Marty who I never played with or met before until this tournament, & so we did some discussing about some kind of strategy we'd use. I went over the Shulk essentials, told about what my arts did in a nutshell, what I could do with Air Slash for life-saving, telling that I could cover high or low with edge-guarding, & he went from there telling me his setups & what we could do off of them. This tournament basically taught me that Doubles are fun 'cus duh, ofc they are, but I realized that I should find a Doubles partner I can team with more often to compliment my style & how I play. Teaming with Falco was weird because it was my first time doing so with the character so I didn't really know much on what I should of done. Despite all that, we did some cool things & the most hype moment that got my heart pumping was when we played fource & MJG on Castle Siege against their double Diddy Kongs. My partner died kinda early with me remaining with two stocks while fource had three or two stocks, & MJG had two or one stocks. I can't remember the stock count, but I basically went Monado MALLC Ham Mode because I pretty much had to. Any aerial I used, whatever place I was landing, I knew I had to MALLC much more & harder than I ever would do. I actually don't MALLC that much, but in that moment my partner died becoming a 2v1, I only thought about MALLC because again, it was that moment where anything I did could of been unsafe, so I did what I felt I had to do just to keep up with the 2v1. I almost brought it back taking MJG's stock(s) & got fource to either his second or third stock, but in the end we lost. I remember surviving for so long & it was all thanks to the heavy usage of Jump Speed & especially Shield. Shield rocks!

Also, there was a moment later in the RR matches that I got a double kill with Smash art + Rage Air Slash near the ledge & their percentages were relatively near the 80 - 90% range, so that felt good. I had to put in a taunt for that moment, but yeah, this tournament was fun to the max. Ggs to everyone I played in Singles and everyone Marty & I played against in Doubles. Thanks for Playing.

I unfortunately don't remember everything that happened, whether the moments were in Singles or Doubles, but still, this was fun. I hope I get to play MJG in friendlies & the C. Falcon player who came by getting 2nd next time.

EDIT: Oh. . .and before I forget, whenever Doubles ended, MJG told me that he liked what he saw when it came to my Shulk. That was really inspiring to me, and after this tournament I realized things I should seriously change about the way I play & focus on much more options with Shulk. I hope I can improve even more from here on.
Got hell confused for a minute there. I regularly attend and run Smash events from a cafe, and recently attended a major called DI Another Day. But I'd have totally known if there was another good Shulk in my area.

Must be a weird coincidence...

Edit: AND I TEAM WITH A GUY CALLED MARTY, WHAT IS THIS

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Got hell confused for a minute there. I regularly attend and run Smash events from a cafe, and recently attended a major called DI Another Day. But I'd have totally known if there was another good Shulk in my area.

Must be a weird coincidence...

Edit: AND I TEAM WITH A GUY CALLED MARTY, WHAT IS THIS
LOL. Sorry, I actually did laugh hard there XD. Where are ya from Alvis? I just had to ask, with y'know, us sharing a huge coincidence n all.
:smash:

Top Bottom