• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

Niala

Smash Ace
That's true. I actually plan to. But it seems to me that, considering how I joined the site about two days ago, it'd be nice to get some sort of insight on the organization and effort involved in starting a group of Brawlers before leaping gaily into the deep end, n'est-ce pas? I'd rather not rush into it blind, but I do want to start one in the city here eventually.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
a couple doods from NB came down to the first melee tourney justin had but that was about 4 years ago (MAV and NIB or NIZ err somthin). new brunswick does have its own board, but i doubt anyone has posted in a while.

edit-- i think what she means is, find local people in your area and try to make friends, not exactly getting into anything big.

Niala

Smash Ace
a couple doods from NB came down to the first melee tourney justin had but that was about 4 years ago (MAV and NIB or NIZ err somthin). new brunswick does have its own board, but i doubt anyone has posted in a while.

edit-- i think what she means is, find local people in your area and try to make friends, not exactly getting into anything big.
Nah, nobody's posted in the New Brunswick boards in ages. They both say the last post in them was over a year ago, so I figured (along with the help of Victra) that Nova Scotia would probably be the next best step.
Sadly, I have some friends who like playing Brawl, but none who are nearly as interested as I am about the game. Aside from that, I'd really like to learn the aspects of higher levels of gameplay, which is hard to do with nobody to practice with. Playing level 9 computers can only get you so far, y'know?

Edit: I'll look into that, Zhao, thanks. Maybe there are some guys here who are interested in becoming pros too. :3
Edit2: Headed to work, see yahs later.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Well, see if you can gather a couple friends together that like Brawl. They might secretly be interested too, you never know. Make a Facebook group. Do you go to high school? University? See if there's a local place where you might get a couple people together to play.

Good luck! :3c

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Pretty much echoing what they said about trying to get a group started up. Put up posters at your school, local gamestores, see if people are interested.

As for tournaments, we're hoping to have one Late October, or Early November. Details will be avaliable as we nail stuff down.

Niala

Smash Ace
Pretty much echoing what they said about trying to get a group started up. Put up posters at your school, local gamestores, see if people are interested.

As for tournaments, we're hoping to have one Late October, or Early November. Details will be avaliable as we nail stuff down.
Awesome. Late October is a kind of slack time for me, luckily, so I might be able to make that one. Just make sure we have a date early enough, otherwise I won't be able to get it off work. Then again, my job sucks so I'd probably just come anyway. n.n

P.s. thanks for all the advice everybody! Hopefully I'll get something started up here soon!

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
^ And MetaK wins the thread.

But yeah, he's gone, not missing him.

Except only mildly, since Croi hacked baby sounds over most of his moveset.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
i thought he was only banned at the bi-weeklys. paul at least said he wouldn't approve a ban until smashboards banned him.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You're slightly out of touch there, Malcolm. We've gone ahead with the full ban since then.

Also, Smashboards is probably never going to ban him.

Too many people main MK.

Croi

Smash Lord
^ And MetaK wins the thread.

But yeah, he's gone, not missing him.

Except only mildly, since Croi hacked baby sounds over most of his moveset.
It'll be many funs during friendlies/if the players agree to MK, though.

But uggggggggggh he has 44 sounds to replace wtf. I don't have that many baby sounds :(

Croi

Smash Lord
I probably could do that if I really get desperate for sounds.

Oh btw I replaced both Aethers and Quick Draw with Phoenix Wright. Hope you don't mind <3

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Alright guys, just thought I should let you know in advance, in case plans need to be made...

Next tourney is November 6th, and WILL be at the Hub again. :)

More details soon to come.

Adapt

Smash Lord
nice to hear :)

The first MK-banned tourney in NS, now if only the MK-ban was of any benefit to me...
Are we still allowing people to use MK if both sides agree?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
MK is currently protected under the "Banned stuff Gentleman's Clause", which has been amended to state:

"If both players agree to playing a banned stage or character, they may do so at their own discretion."

That means if you want to play Summit, and you both agree, go for it. If you're ok with the other person playing MK, go for it.

However, the current policy is that you are REQUIRED to ask the person before you select MK. Don't just pick him and then anticipate a response. This is mostly because I don't want newer players who aren't aware of the ban (Though I will make it clear in the announcement AND at the tourney), getting greased because someone picked MK and they didn't know they could object.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Awesome. I can coo and giggle and raspberry my way to victory.
Did you make the entire duration of Tornado the cacophonously loud wailing of several hundred infants in unison? If not, do it.

10babieskilledwhennadoisused

:034:

Croi

Smash Lord
I don't know if I can because of technicalities. Sometimes, for animations that last longer than the sound, the sound is looped. Take DDD's dair or uair, it's not one long sound, it's one really fast one that loops a bunch. I think nado is the same way, and this makes it pretty much impossible to change.

I tried switching Lucario's neutral+B to Goku's Kamehameha, but the charging aura sphere is composed of four sounds: just started, charging, fully charged, and fired. Except for the last one, they all loop, so when I tried replacing the sounds to Kame-ham-e-ha, it came out as "KamekamekahaamhaamhaamhaamhaamMEHMEHMEHMEHMEHMEHMEHHAAAAAAAAAA"

And then I just put it over his final smash, and that came out pretty decent

tl;dr - If I replaced the nado sound, it'd come out absolutely terrible, which is pretty much what you're going for, so I guess I could?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Sounds like epic lolz.

One thing I will note however, Matt.

While non-intrusive textures and music WILL be permitted in tourney, changing sounds other than MK will not be. Audio cues are important for a lot of characters.

Croi

Smash Lord
I guess I just won't bring sound hacks, then, since replacing them in the first place was balls and a half, and doing it all again in reverse would make me lose my mind.

EDIT: Are you going to be using the Japanese sound hacks on your Wii?

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
i'd lol if someone won the next tourny using MK the majority of the time. what would be the chances LOL

"MK is banned"

1. Billybeegood (MK)

O_o

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yeah, I'll be using the JP sounds, but there's a huge difference between sounds that are standard in another language (And don't change much of importance), and Lucas sounding like Johnny Bravo.

Hilarious, for sure, but significantly more distracting.

Croi

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'll be using the JP sounds, but there's a huge difference between sounds that are standard in another language (And don't change much of importance), and Lucas sounding like Johnny Bravo.

Hilarious, for sure, but significantly more distracting.
Unless everybody here speaks Japanese fluently then it doesn't matter if it's a "standard" or not. Whether or not I replace any sounds, I could also just move the sound/music slider all the way to music and bam, we have ourselves a totally vanilla distraction.

It's not like I'm replacing anything with just silence, and whether or not MK grunts in English, in Japanese, or as a baby shouldn't make a difference in knowing that he's charging an fsmash. The fact that you're singling out MK as "okay" when he's not 100% illegal is also a load.

I know you're trying to make things fair for everybody, Jordan, but if you're going so far as to say "Johnny Bravo is not allowed because he's distracting" when it's totally cool for Pikachu to be an Umbreon (or, how about Cursed Fox in Orpheon? Christian couldn't see me against the black background. Or even default G&W if you want. But they're still allowed) is kinda bull****. All hacks or no hacks.

EDIT: Although, I will also compromise if you go with English voices as well.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Unless everybody here speaks Japanese fluently then it doesn't matter if it's a "standard" or not. Whether or not I replace any sounds, I could also just move the sound/music slider all the way to music and bam, we have ourselves a totally vanilla distraction.

Finding a way to break it using in-game settings doesn't invalidate something that's perfectly acceptable otherwise. Or would you like to rage at Euro Brawl or JP Brawl?

It's not like I'm replacing anything with just silence, and whether or not MK grunts in English, in Japanese, or as a baby shouldn't make a difference in knowing that he's charging an fsmash. The fact that you're singling out MK as "okay" when he's not 100% illegal is also a load.
For all intents and purposes, he IS 100% illegal, but I can't very well walk around the tournament and yell, "NO MK!" if both players are agreeing to it.

However, I do agree that the double standard in that regard is wrong, that was just my personal hate for MK speaking. If someone's gonna use him, I'd rather they feel goofy while doing it, but I can see your point.

I know you're trying to make things fair for everybody, Jordan, but if you're going so far as to say "Johnny Bravo is not allowed because he's distracting" when it's totally cool for Pikachu to be an Umbreon (or, how about Cursed Fox in Orpheon? Christian couldn't see me against the black background. Or even default G&W if you want. But they're still allowed) is kinda bull****. All hacks or no hacks.
These are legitimate complaints that are justifiably brought up, as they DO provide a competitive advantage. Cursed Fox and Umbreon will be removed, as will any others considered 'too intrusive" on request. Note that I have a default color avaliable for every character, as well.

However, we can't do **** about default G&W, that's out-of-the-box gay, nothing I can do there.

EDIT: Although, I will also compromise if you go with English voices as well.

For the sake of consistency, alright, I'll agree to it. However, they will be on for the replays.

How do you feel about adding a rule that players may request for their opponent to switch to the normal texture? (OR at least one with no vertex modifications)

Actually, you know what, let's just make this simple. Music hacks are ok. Sound hacks are not. Stage textures will be off. Character modifications will be TEXTURE ONLY, no vertex. (This means Soviet Marth is ok, but Sephiroth is not) (And no obvious violations, like the all-black iDK)

Does that sound acceptable?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Alright, so we'll type it out once more to make it clear. (That is, unless the other TOs take issue, in which this will warrant further discussion)

Allowed:

• Music Hacks
  • Menu Hacks (This includes anything NOT in the actual match)
  • Character hacks (TEXTURE ONLY, NO VERTEX)
Not Allowed:

• Vertex hacks
  • Character or Stage sound modifications.
  • Stage hacks.
  • Textures that are too dark to see.

Croi

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, if we're not going to be using sounds, then we should probably move all our other hacks to Gecko for the tournament, so we can save to the SD card.

Top Bottom