• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Nov 1, 2015] Team Arlington presents: *Pound* 6. Fall/Winter 2015 (Frederick, MD)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Date is not set - tentative date. This thread is a placeholder for the actual event along. Please read if you are interest in attending but have any doubts or concerns.

**Update** I still plan to host this, but it will not be until late 2015 and could involve Smash 4, if the game goes well :)

Hello everyone! For those of you who don't know me, my name is Plank. I know there are a lot of newer players, and I know that a lot of them may have heard of me in regards to what happened at *Pound* 5, so I want to be able to speak to those people directly, before I host another large scale tournament.

I've been a tournament organizer in the MD/VA area for almost 10 years. I began running local tournaments in the area and eventually decided I wanted to do something bigger for the community. I decided to revive the *Pound* tournament series, created by Chinesah.

Side note: The original *Pound* was a one day tournament and was my first tournament ever. It had around 70 entrants. This tournament was my motivation for getting into smash. Even though Chestie and Kaiser went to my high school and played smash, I never played until this tournament. There is something inspiring about seeing so many people from different cultures coming together for such a unique cause. Seeing someone like NEO playing against this kid (at the time) Mew2King and everyone watching/cheering was crazy to me.

http://smashboards.com/threads/2007...ration-closed-singles-pools-first-post.94730/
I hosted *Pound* 2 on June 16-17 of 2007. I believe this had around 120-140 entrants. The tournament received MLG grassroots sponsorship (this was during the time when MLG just dropped smash from the official circuit and helped sponsor a spring of grassroots tournaments across the country). The event went resoundingly well and received nothing but positive feedback.

(can't find thread)
I hosted *Pound* 3 in February of 2008. This tournament had 224 entrants, and was the tournament that Mang0 ran a train through losers bracket. This tournament went a bit late because the venue closed early and we had to relocate which sucked. But i learned from that and made sure this wouldn't be possible at venues in the future.

http://smashboards.com/threads/pound-4-vgbootcamp-debut-two-days-planks-sanity-remaining-50.237419/
I hosted *Pound* 4 on January 16, 17, and 18 of 2010. This was VGBootCamp's debut tournament, and had 347 entrants for melee singles, and i believe around 200 for brawl, around 550 unique entrants. This number was the highest for any melee event ever, and remained that for many years.It was also the best tournament I've ran to date from start to finish. My venue is about 45 minutes from 3 different airports. I arranged a team of friends to provide rides to whoever needed them at airports. I did all the organization to pick up as many people as possible at each airport by collecting flight information. I then charged everyone being picked up a set rate to be transported to the hotel by the venue. There is no public transportation from the airports to Frederick aside from a taxi or airport shuttle, both of which were unreasonably expensive. I organized this for players arrivals and departures. The drivers made a profit, the players paid less, everyone wins. Along with refining all my practices, providing 20+ tv's of my own, and additional preparation, everything went very smoothly. When you wanted to play a friendly, you could turn to any of multiple open tv's. I believe for both games (brawl and melee) combined there was 90 TV's at one point. I will be doing employing all of my practices at future tournaments as well :)

http://smashboards.com/threads/ta-p...ed-at-www-vgbootcamp-com-bring-setups.278586/

I hosted *Pound* V on February 19, 20, and 21st of 2011. Although I ran so many successful tournaments, this is the one that gets talked about the most because of the way it went down. This tournament had 243 melee entrants, and brawl had 151 entrants. This made about 400 unique entrants. The attendance alone was one of the major issues.

All of my prior events had been growing, and I wanted big things for smash. I hosted the tournament at the Hyatt Regency in Crystal City - less than a mile from the airport. The venue was amazing, and it was right next to the hotel. No team of people needed to hull people from the airport, incredibly convenient, in the middle of DC for travel, only $100 for EXTREMELY nice hotel rooms, the venue was too perfect. I signed into a venue contract which reduced the cost of the venue depending on how many hotel rooms were rented. The contract also billed me, after the event, for any cancelled hotel rooms or no-shows. This is something I didn't catch in the contract which bit me in the ass later.

As the tournament got closer and the attendance was not what I had been expecting, I made sure to be as adamant as possible about people not cramming into hotel rooms, only 4 per room. I had them update it on the event page in extra huge text when you were reserving the room. I knew since the attendance wasn't as high as expected given the rate of growth of my tournaments, I had to emphasize that fact. Unfortunately the room was not met and the cost of the venue increased exponentially, causing me to pay over $20,000.00 total to the venue throughout various parts of the contract.

After doing the final math at the venue, I was going to have around $2.5k for prizes remaining. This would not have been the full pot amount by any means but it was something to work with.

The tournament went well, and people were happy which is my main goal, but the fiscal fallout is the real focus of this one.

I am at work the next day after the tournament ends, and my bank account is essentially empty, instead of having the prize money remaining. I called the venue only to find out there were a number of no-shows, and a number of people who had hotel rooms reserved for 3-4 days, but cancelled all days except for the first day at the venue. So essentially, people realized I wasn't enforcing the 4 people per room rule after the first day, and cancelled rooms to stay with others. Between the no shows and canceled rooms this drained the remaining money I had for prizes and tapped into my own personal money. This is what happened to the prizes. I ended up paying the venue over $25k due to a bad contract sign. Since the entrants were lower than expected, paired with my mistakes, there were no funds left over for prizes.

This was at a bad point in my life and I didn't take it very well. I had personal issues going on outside of smash, including a relationship I was unhappy in and who was a constant negative impact on my life. I had just screwed up something that was one of the biggest parts of my life and hurt so many people I cared about. I had a lot of supporters who understood, but I let myself get sucked into the negative feedback from a certain handful of people who really made it a point to talk as much **** as possible in various threads and constantly ignore any facts or information I put out. I even showed bank statements of my personal bank account with $20k+ being withdrawn and there being no money. There were constant accusations and questions that piled up faster than I could answer. And these were mostly people who I didn't even know, weren't impacted by the lack of winnings, or didn't even go to the tournament. Again, I was not in a good place and really let these things get to me. I pretty much just withdrew entirely. It was not the right thing to do, and I did want to pay people back, but I was waiting tables in a miserable relationship with no idea what to do with myself. I am not making an excuse, merely putting the information out there and hoping that people can understand I made a mistake. I should've never signed the contract at the venue. I got careless and ahead of myself because of my hopes for moving smash forward and my previous growth. The tournament being smaller than *Pound* 4 was not even a possibility in my head. I have learned and want to fix my past mistakes, and I want to fix them the best way I know how... with tournaments.

To the Brawl players - I apologize for not giving brawl the attention or credit it deserved in many instances. This is not necessarily *Pound* 5 related, but just in general. I have come to understand over the years and see that I did this a lot and talked **** about brawl a lot, but it was dumb. I was a **** about it. I still want the brawl earners to get their money as well, and will still use this as a means to do so. I am sorry. No matter if I like the game, it is still a smash community and that is what is important, people enjoying themselves in a community. That's what I saw when I got into smash at the first Pound, not the game itself. If the game being played that day was brawl, I would've played brawl. I lost focus on what was important. I am sorry to those people who things haven't been great with in the past. Esam, Ally, etc. I personally apologize to you guys and will do everything I can to get your tournament winnings.

Anyone who ever attended my tournaments can agree on one thing... My tournaments were always ran FOR the entrants. They are the number one priority at all times. The player experience. It sickens me to see so many large tournaments with their priorities not straight. In the growing age of E-Sports, it's easy for tournament hosts to get lost in the worlds of streaming, sponsorship, social media, and other new factors we have to take into consideration. These things are all great. I encourage the growth of all aspects of Smash and I think we should take advantage; but we can't forget what makes us. We can not forget what got us to where we are and what the most important thing for any single event is. The most important aspect of any event is the players. The players who come to your tournament and make it possible. You can NOT lower the player experience at the expense of these new variables. I am coming back to bring back the real tournament, for people who want to go to events and play. I want people to want to COME to my event, not sit at home on the stream and WATCH my event. I will always put the effort forth to make the player experience the best it can be. We travel across the country to play a video game. We travel to play all those players we've seen at events we can't attend. To be able to play and meet people from all across the country, all weekend! We do NOT just travel across the country to watch people better than us play it on a screen, because we can never play on a TV! Spectating is great, but it should be a choice. The current status quo of national tournaments is unacceptable and too much focus is being drawn away from the core of people who are making the tournament happen. I am going back to the *Pound* 4 venue where I have connections and will be running *Pound* 6. With enough interest, I should be able to pay back all the winners of *Pound* 5 in one fell swoop. I will be working with other trusted smashers regarding the financial aspects of the tournament. I will not handle the money - only the organization and bringing each individual person who comes out the best event possible. There needs to be a new standard for national tournaments and I'm willing to put forth the work to set it. I've made a lot of mistakes, but I've learned from them all. I hope the community will back me on hosting another large scale tournament, because I am willing to put forth a new standard for tournaments, beginning with one for smash 4 :) More details incoming soon.

Also you can tweet me questions at my Twitter, @ P Plairnkk

Last edited:

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
Date is not set - tentative date. This thread is a placeholder for the actual event along. Please read if you are interest in attending but have any doubts or concerns.

Hello everyone! For those of you who don't know me, my name is Plank. I know there are a lot of newer players, and I know that a lot of them may have heard of me in regards to what happened at *Pound* 5, so I want to be able to speak to those people directly, before I host another large scale tournament.

I've been a tournament organizer in the MD/VA area for almost 10 years. I began running local tournaments in the area and eventually decided I wanted to do something bigger for the community. I decided to revive the *Pound* tournament series, created by Chinesah.

Side note: The original *Pound* was a one day tournament and was my first tournament ever. It had around 70 entrants. This tournament was my motivation for getting into smash. Even though Chestie and Kaiser went to my high school and played smash, I never played until this tournament. There is something inspiring about seeing so many people from different cultures coming together for such a unique cause. Seeing someone like NEO playing against this kid (at the time) Mew2King and everyone watching/cheering was crazy to me.

http://smashboards.com/threads/2007...ration-closed-singles-pools-first-post.94730/
I hosted *Pound* 2 on June 16-17 of 2007. I believe this had around 120-140 entrants. The tournament received MLG grassroots sponsorship (this was during the time when MLG just dropped smash from the official circuit and helped sponsor a spring of grassroots tournaments across the country). The event went resoundingly well and received nothing but positive feedback.

(can't find thread)
I hosted *Pound* 3 in February of 2008. This tournament had 224 entrants, and was the tournament that Mang0 ran a train through losers bracket. This tournament went a bit late because the venue closed early and we had to relocate which sucked. But i learned from that and made sure this wouldn't be possible at venues in the future.

http://smashboards.com/threads/pound-4-vgbootcamp-debut-two-days-planks-sanity-remaining-50.237419/
I hosted *Pound* 4 on January 16, 17, and 18 of 2010. This was VGBootCamp's debut tournament, and had 347 entrants for melee singles, and i believe around 200 for brawl, around 550 unique entrants. This number was the highest for any melee event ever, and remained that for many years.It was also the best tournament I've ran to date from start to finish. My venue is about 45 minutes from 3 different airports. I arranged a team of friends to provide rides to whoever needed them at airports. I did all the organization to pick up as many people as possible at each airport by collecting flight information. I then charged everyone being picked up a set rate to be transported to the hotel by the venue. There is no public transportation from the airports to Frederick aside from a taxi or airport shuttle, both of which were unreasonably expensive. I organized this for players arrivals and departures. The drivers made a profit, the players paid less, everyone wins. Along with refining all my practices, providing 20+ tv's of my own, and additional preparation, everything went very smoothly. When you wanted to play a friendly, you could turn to any of multiple open tv's. I believe for both games (brawl and melee) combined there was 90 TV's at one point. I will be doing employing all of my practices at future tournaments as well :)

http://smashboards.com/threads/ta-p...ed-at-www-vgbootcamp-com-bring-setups.278586/

I hosted *Pound* V on February 19, 20, and 21st of 2011. Although I ran so many successful tournaments, this is the one that gets talked about the most because of the way it went down. This tournament had 243 melee entrants, and brawl had 151 entrants. This made about 400 unique entrants. The attendance alone was one of the major issues.

All of my prior events had been growing, and I wanted big things for smash. I hosted the tournament at the Hyatt Regency in Crystal City - less than a mile from the airport. The venue was amazing, and it was right next to the hotel. No team of people needed to hull people from the airport, incredibly convenient, in the middle of DC for travel, only $100 for EXTREMELY nice hotel rooms, the venue was too perfect. I signed into a venue contract which reduced the cost of the venue depending on how many hotel rooms were rented. The contract also billed me, after the event, for any cancelled hotel rooms or no-shows. This is something I didn't catch in the contract which bit me in the *** later.

As the tournament got closer and the attendance was not what I had been expecting, I made sure to be as adamant as possible about people not cramming into hotel rooms, only 4 per room. I had them update it on the event page in extra huge text when you were reserving the room. I knew since the attendance wasn't as high as expected given the rate of growth of my tournaments, I had to emphasize that fact. Unfortunately the room was not met and the cost of the venue increased exponentially, causing me to pay over $20,000.00 total to the venue throughout various parts of the contract.

After doing the final math at the venue, I was going to have around $2.5k for prizes remaining. This would not have been the full pot amount by any means but it was something to work with.

The tournament went well, and people were happy which is my main goal, but the fiscal fallout is the real focus of this one.

I am at work the next day after the tournament ends, and my bank account is essentially empty, instead of having the prize money remaining. I called the venue only to find out there were a number of no-shows, and a number of people who had hotel rooms reserved for 3-4 days, but cancelled all days except for the first day at the venue. So essentially, people realized I wasn't enforcing the 4 people per room rule after the first day, and cancelled rooms to stay with others. Between the no shows and canceled rooms this drained the remaining money I had for prizes and tapped into my own personal money. This is what happened to the prizes. I ended up paying the venue over $25k due to a bad contract sign. Since the entrants were lower than expected, paired with my mistakes, there were no funds left over for prizes.

This was at a bad point in my life and I didn't take it very well. I had personal issues going on outside of smash, including a relationship I was unhappy in and who was a constant negative impact on my life. I had just screwed up something that was one of the biggest parts of my life and hurt so many people I cared about. I had a lot of supporters who understood, but I let myself get sucked into the negative feedback from a certain handful of people who really made it a point to talk as much **** as possible in various threads and constantly ignore any facts or information I put out. I even showed bank statements of my personal bank account with $20k+ being withdrawn and there being no money. There were constant accusations and questions that piled up faster than I could answer. And these were mostly people who I didn't even know, weren't impacted by the lack of winnings, or didn't even go to the tournament. Again, I was not in a good place and really let these things get to me. I pretty much just withdrew entirely. It was not the right thing to do, and I did want to pay people back, but I was waiting tables in a miserable relationship with no idea what to do with myself. I am not making an excuse, merely putting the information out there and hoping that people can understand I made a mistake. I should've never signed the contract at the venue. I got careless and ahead of myself because of my hopes for moving smash forward and my previous growth. The tournament being smaller than *Pound* 4 was not even a possibility in my head. I have learned and want to fix my past mistakes, and I want to fix them the best way I know how... with tournaments.

To the Brawl players - I apologize for not giving brawl the attention or credit it deserved in many instances. This is not necessarily *Pound* 5 related, but just in general. I have come to understand over the years and see that I did this a lot and talked **** about brawl a lot, but it was dumb. I was a **** about it. I still want the brawl earners to get their money as well, and will still use this as a means to do so. I am sorry. No matter if I like the game, it is still a smash community and that is what is important, people enjoying themselves in a community. That's what I saw when I got into smash at the first Pound, not the game itself. If the game being played that day was brawl, I would've played brawl. I lost focus on what was important. I am sorry to those people who things haven't been great with in the past. Esam, Ally, etc. I personally apologize to you guys and will do everything I can to get your tournament winnings.

Anyone who ever attended my tournaments can agree on one thing... My tournaments were always ran FOR the entrants. They are the number one priority at all times. The player experience. It sickens me to see so many large tournaments with their priorities not straight. In the growing age of E-Sports, it's easy for tournament hosts to get lost in the worlds of streaming, sponsorship, social media, and other new factors we have to take into consideration. These things are all great. I encourage the growth of all aspects of Smash and I think we should take advantage; but we can't forget what makes us. We can not forget what got us to where we are and what the most important thing for any single event is. The most important aspect of any event is the players. The players who come to your tournament and make it possible. You can NOT lower the player experience at the expense of these new variables. I am coming back to bring back the real tournament, for people who want to go to events and play. I want people to want to COME to my event, not sit at home on the stream and WATCH my event. I will always put the effort forth to make the player experience the best it can be. We travel across the country to play a video game. We travel to play all those players we've seen at events we can't attend. To be able to play and meet people from all across the country, all weekend! We do NOT just travel across the country to watch people better than us play it on a screen, because we can never play on a TV! Spectating is great, but it should be a choice. The current status quo of national tournaments is unacceptable and too much focus is being drawn away from the core of people who are making the tournament happen. I am going back to the *Pound* 4 venue where I have connections and will be running *Pound* 6. With enough interest, I should be able to pay back all the winners of *Pound* 5 in one fell swoop. I will be working with other trusted smashers regarding the financial aspects of the tournament. I will not handle the money - only the organization and bringing each individual person who comes out the best event possible. There needs to be a new standard for national tournaments and I'm willing to put forth the work to set it. I've made a lot of mistakes, but I've learned from them all. I hope the community will back me on hosting another large scale tournament, because I am willing to put forth a new standard for tournaments, beginning with one for smash 4 :) More details incoming soon.

Also you can tweet me questions at my Twitter, @ P Plairnkk
Good for you Plank! Everyone may give you flak for pound V but I know you come through and you tried your best not to fail the winners. Pound VI will be great I'm sure of it, if I could get off from school I'll surely try to attend. ****'s gonna be mad hype son!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
If youre not handling the money, who is?

Also, while it is great that you admit to not liking brawl and giving those players and that game the shaft at times, after reading tons andtons of post on many different facebook groups, I believe that its is also the responsibility of people like yourself with clout and influence in the community to play a more active role in stopping and curbing other peoples need to disrespect the players of any particular game. Because while you may have matured and grown enough to acknowledge that that kind of hate doesn't get us anywhere, if you arent actively taking steps to stop other people from doing it when you observe it, than it doesnt really matter.

Im not accusing you of anything btw, I just saw this and wanted to make sure you were aware of what seems to be the prevailing opinion on this sort of thing

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Really good to see you continuing this tournament series. I never attended any Pound tournament before and I would really like to go to this one.

In terms of the date, if it could be in that sweetspot of college student being on winter break and before people start going home for the break, that would be perfect.

I think December 13th will be at the very start of Winter Break. Here's hoping. That would be the best bet, in my opinion.

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
Really good to see you continuing this tournament series. I never attended any Pound tournament before and I would really like to go to this one.

In terms of the date, if it could be in that sweetspot of college student being on winter break and before people start going home for the break, that would be perfect.

I think December 13th will be at the very start of Winter Break. Here's hoping. That would be the best bet, in my opinion.
I was actually thinking the same thing regarding the date of the event, I just realized that I actually won't be able to go at all most probably, I assumed if it was around that time of the year they would just schedule to a common winter break date but maybe it's just because unlike most people coming from school, I have ****ty high school and I, like most other smashers still in high school am not one to be willing to fall behind in school just for one tournament no matter how hype it is. Yeah so the date is kind of a meh, just curious plank, is there any reason that it is scheduled for the 13-15 specifically? I don't know it just seems a little inconvenient in contrast to the available more convenient days available that month. Well I guess a lot of people don't want to be either traveling during the Christmas migration or want to be with their families during that time. Yeah, best of luck for the tourney tho can't wait to see the matches on stream, you got VGBC streaming so I'm sure it's gonna be hype as hell in the stream tho! Also everyone give plank a chance! He may have ****ed up bad last time but that means he won't do it again, the fact that he has the balls to host another pound shows that he really cares and loves what he does, so Ally sit yo ass down and take top 3 and claim your winnings without the presence of an attorney!

Last edited:

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
If youre not handling the money, who is?

Also, while it is great that you admit to not liking brawl and giving those players and that game the shaft at times, after reading tons andtons of post on many different facebook groups, I believe that its is also the responsibility of people like yourself with clout and influence in the community to play a more active role in stopping and curbing other peoples need to disrespect the players of any particular game. Because while you may have matured and grown enough to acknowledge that that kind of hate doesn't get us anywhere, if you arent actively taking steps to stop other people from doing it when you observe it, than it doesnt really matter.

Im not accusing you of anything btw, I just saw this and wanted to make sure you were aware of what seems to be the prevailing opinion on this sort of thing
its all good, i hear ya. and ive talked to juggleguy/hbox and ran the idea by them, it would be someone like that in the community. i just have to iron out the details

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
plank i've been to pound 2 and pound 4 and they were both spectacular events with an unprecedented level of tournament hosting expertise on the east coast. to this day, i still feel it to be unmatched by any other east coast TO. i would gladly come out to another pound event and i hope this works out.

DJRome

Smash Hero
I also went to pound 4 and had a great time. But the idea that the past should affect judgment goes both ways. Yeah, you have run great tournaments before, but have you paid anyone back for what your mistake cost them? Up to this point, all I've heard are empty promises and solicitation of new events with the "intent" of paying back people.

It's kind of like a crime (well not legally) was committed and there was never any retribution made. Regardless of how nice you are, how great of a TO you are, how awesome the events you run are, or even the remorse you feel for it all, until at least the top 3 are paid (in my opinion), there is simply no establishment of trust that would compel me to attend any of these events.

It sucks maybe, but that's just how I feel.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Winter nationals are the only ones I can attend personally due to work so anytime in Nov-mid Jan works for me.

Also, I attended both Pound IV and Pound 5 and both were some of the best tournaments Ive been too and some of the best experiences of my human life. I thought that Plankks level of "Customer service" was much higher than other TO's of his era, The Pound V catastrophe made a ton of people really mad and really quick to judge, myself included (because it was my friend Kevins first national tournament win and people have since acted like the results didnt matter because there was no payout) but its been literally almost what, five years or so? I think it might be time to give this Johnathan a second chance, because like I said earlier, he is a very calculated TO, there's never once been a seating issue at a tournament Ive been to hes hosted, nor venue size issues (cramming Ie: APEX 2014) not even parking. He's really good at the little stuff that makes a tournament not only fun but easy to attend.

Anyway, just from the point of view of someone whos attended at least one of every major except Genesis and EVO, Pounds are REALLY godlike and new players would really be missing out if they didnt get to experience this staple in the melee legacy.

Last edited:

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
You're the man, Plank. I've been to *pound* 2, 3, 4, and 5, and some of my best tournament memories are from those tournaments. I will be in attendance.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I also went to pound 4 and had a great time. But the idea that the past should affect judgment goes both ways. Yeah, you have run great tournaments before, but have you paid anyone back for what your mistake cost them? Up to this point, all I've heard are empty promises and solicitation of new events with the "intent" of paying back people.

It's kind of like a crime (well not legally) was committed and there was never any retribution made. Regardless of how nice you are, how great of a TO you are, how awesome the events you run are, or even the remorse you feel for it all, until at least the top 3 are paid (in my opinion), there is simply no establishment of trust that would compel me to attend any of these events.

It sucks maybe, but that's just how I feel.
I understand and respect your position.

As far as fiscally paying back, I have paid Dr. PP 200-300$ and I had Mango and M2K back $80 each or so with the excess funds received from *Pound* 5.5. I am just like many other working americans that live paycheck to paycheck. I've lived on my own since I was 18, and I pay rent and all my bills. I'm not in debt, but I don't save any money either. Although I do recognize my mistakes, I am not able to pay people back out of my paycheck while still supporting myself and my girlfriend, and maintaining an independent life of my own.

Regarding the lack of trust, I understand that sentiment. That is why I am willing to let someone respected and upstanding in the community to handle the financials. I do not want there to be any questions, and I want to be fully transparent regarding the finances moving forward. If I am fully comitted to devoting hours and hours of my time to organize and run a large scale national tournament with no compensation in order to help fix my previous wrongs - I fail to understand how there would be any sort of a lack of trust. You can trust that my events will be ran well and will issue a new standard of TO'ing, and you can trust in others who financially deserve your trust within the community. Financially, I don't feel I deserve any trust at this point, and that's why I will have someone help in that regard. In regards to the actual tournament itself, I've done nothing but show time and time again how to run a good event.

Again I do respect your opinion, but I hope to dispell the issues of trust and bring light to the fact the only trust needed in me is in regards to the quality of event I will run, since I am fully willing to relinquish fiscal responsibility and show full transparency.

CTL17

Smash Lord
My first memory of Plank was in Pound 4, saying that if you're late, you'll be DQed. "I don't care if you're Mew2King."

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
Been to pounds 1-5 and can't wait for this one. Let me know if you need help running pools or just someone to yell things

Inthebackground

Banned via Warnings
Very very skeptical of this. I'm a new player, but I've heard bad things about this series, and I've also seen Plank recently post that he's going to be using his tax money to travel around the world and freely play smash. I'd like to attend and bring a full car, but if he's going to use that money instead of paying back the players, I have to strongly suggest avoiding this tournament. Plus I've seen him constantly bash the new Smash games, doesn't seem like he'll give them a fair deal at this either.

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
Very very skeptical of this. I'm a new player, but I've heard bad things about this series, and I've also seen Plank recently post that he's going to be using his tax money to travel around the world and freely play smash. I'd like to attend and bring a full car, but if he's going to use that money instead of paying back the players, I have to strongly suggest avoiding this tournament. Plus I've seen him constantly bash the new Smash games, doesn't seem like he'll give them a fair deal at this either.
That's completely irrelevant that he isn't optimistic about smash 4 lol, if you hadn't noticed many old school players who were around during the brawl crash aren't, for example Pewpewu, you know, a TO, player and dedicated member of the smash community who has done a lot for it, do you not think he is trustworthy now just because he isn't hyped to play a new game that you are hyped to play? We have all heard about his fraudulent moment at pound V where to save his own skin he used the tourney pot to pay off the hotel which he underestimated, it was his fault duh, but did you hear about pounds 1-4 where they were some of the best run tournaments ever organized and which ran perfectly do to his "I don't care if you are mew2king, show up on time, or I"ll DQ you" policy. Pound V was his first, last and only blunder, yeah, it was a bad one, he ****ed up good, but still, he doesn't want it to happen again, look at him now wanting to host another pound 1-4 not another pound 5, the fact he has the balls to show his face around here wanting to TO again is enough for me to trust him, just look at the Pound 5 results thread, people wanted to sue him for his damn house! He is willingly approaching those same people who tried to take his house from him, he would be scared out of his ****ing mind to even think about doing that kind of thing again. Now look at the Pounds 1-4 threads, nothing but people talking about the awesome **** that went down at the events, if only one thread of the 4 look at the pound 3 results thread, the first thing you see is "Pound was amazing" , people had nothing but happy memories and of course obligatory chatter about Mango's massacre through loser's bracket. So now that we established the reasons why plank wouldn't perform fraud again, all I'm waiting for is assurance, he may not have the motives but I'd sure as hell like to hear who is handling the money, it should be somebody popular to the community, preferably a top player, it doesn't really matter who, it just has to be somebody who couldn't show their face around smash players for the rest of their life if something goes wrong, somebody who has a lot to lose if the smash community knows he committed fraud and cheated them. By this I mean I'd recommend having a top 5-10 player handle the money, that's their life, their income, and their responsibility if it gets out that the money is gone and their responsible. So plank should ask a top player to handle the money and publicly address so, it could even be chillin or chu considering they are easy to contact since they are mdva and are sponsored, trusted players. Also I think we'd all appreciate an explanation of what this guy is spewing out of his mouth, what's with using tax money to travel the world and play smash? How does that even work and why would you do that? Also even if he is doing that which wouldn't surprise me, it doesn't necessarily reflect badly on his ability to run the event, it just makes him seem like a huge hermit/recluse weirdo lol no offense. Who am I kidding I'm probably not even gonna be able to make it to this, I live 4 states away and have to take off from school what am I doing defending it lol.

Inthebackground

Banned via Warnings
None of what you said answers the question, why is he able to use his tax refund to travel around the world to play smash, but not pay back the Pound V winners?

His views on the newer smash games make me uneasy, but you're right, it's not completely important, but the issue about the money definitely is and we have a right to know where it's all going.

Edit: Wait, so you're questioning me talking about "spewing" when you're not even aware of the facebook post?

Jonathan Graybeal
August 15
So I have a double tax return coming up this year. I was originally planning on moving somewhere and relocating, but I decided that’s not what I really want to do. I'm going to take that money, plus anything I save, and travel around the country playing Super Smash Brothers and staying with friends (you lovely people) who I know all over the country. I'm going to budget and see how long I can live off of the tax returns/what I’ve saved as well as the additional income I make from tournament winnings. I’ve traveled to many individual events all across the country in the past, but I’ve never fully dedicated myself to playing professionally or had the opportunity to make a living this way. I’m really excited to see what I can do across the country, as well as for the change of pace from the monotony of standard living. It will be fun to be transient for a while. I’m also really excited to see so many old faces and friends that I haven’t seen in years.

Last edited:

BombTicker

Smash Apprentice
None of what you said answers the question, why is he able to use his tax refund to travel around the world to play smash, but not pay back the Pound V winners?

His views on the newer smash games make me uneasy, but you're right, it's not completely important, but the issue about the money definitely is and we have a right to know where it's all going.

Edit: Wait, so you're questioning me talking about "spewing" when you're not even aware of the facebook post?

Jonathan Graybeal
August 15
So I have a double tax return coming up this year. I was originally planning on moving somewhere and relocating, but I decided that’s not what I really want to do. I'm going to take that money, plus anything I save, and travel around the country playing Super Smash Brothers and staying with friends (you lovely people) who I know all over the country. I'm going to budget and see how long I can live off of the tax returns/what I’ve saved as well as the additional income I make from tournament winnings. I’ve traveled to many individual events all across the country in the past, but I’ve never fully dedicated myself to playing professionally or had the opportunity to make a living this way. I’m really excited to see what I can do across the country, as well as for the change of pace from the monotony of standard living. It will be fun to be transient for a while. I’m also really excited to see so many old faces and friends that I haven’t seen in years.
I was referring to spewing as in bad things coming out of your mouth, as in him doing bad things, also you didn't ask a question so I don't have to answer any of your non existent questions. This is smashboards its not for picking fights take that **** somewhere else dude, think first, does this actually target me? then post. As for the facebook post you linked I'll take a look tomorrow LTC2 just ended and imma go to bed.

Inthebackground

Banned via Warnings
Maybe you're right about the way I went about it, I won't post here anymore but to me this seems like a big red flag, and I won't be attending with my carpool. There's no reason he can't pay back the winners of Pound 5 if he has enough to go around travelling the world and playing smash.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I'm actually not going to be hosting another *Pound* until next year - I am making that announcement soon. I do not have the funds nor the time to support another event right now... So Inthebackground's thoughts of me potentially using funds from a tournament to travel is completely unjustified.... He is right regarding the traveling thing though :) I am going to drive/camp around the country and see random cities/mountains/landmarks etc. I plan to smash a lot and stay with friends, throughout various regions of the country, for a few months. Since I haven't been traveling for smash like I always did before *Pound* 5, I have not seen so many of my friends that I used to see often. I have such a huge network of good friends through smash (people who actually KNOW me, and KNOW the kind of person I am) and it will be fun to use that network to travel affordably as well as reconnect with so many people. I've always been a high level player but I am trying to push that as far as I can. As part of my travels (not the world, the country) I'm going to be promoting my next tournament (which I plan to announce winter/spring this year for the fall of next year) and willingly explaining everything that previously went down if people have questions.

I've always been willing to pay the funds back through hosting more tournaments, since that's how the funds were lost and I know that they can be recouped this way. I am, however, not willing to pay out of my own pocket to pay back the winners.

And again, I will not hold the money for any tournament I host moving forward. I will aim to work with a high-profile character within the community (juggleguy, hbox, d1, prog, etc) to facilitate the transactions and financial aspects. My expertise is knowing how to run a tournament and deliver the best player experience possible. Obviously the financial aspects were not my forte (although i've learned a ton). But again, financial reasons are not why I host events. It's all about the player experience and providing an amazing weekend/getaway for hundreds of people from their stressful lives.

Thank you very much btw Bombticker, I don't think I even know you IRL but I appreciate the kind words.

Top Bottom