• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not Everyone from Brawl/Melee will return... few 3rd party characters

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Zero Suit Samus isn't getting cut. Samus used the Zero Laser in the trailer. We all know what happens after that.
There had better be an easier way to switch back and forth if they're still shackled together.

ZSS has a really unique and fun moveset, and Metroid has no reps. It would be a shame to lose her.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
Well they look very similar to me. Both are acrobatic women to rely on there speed, punches, and kicks.

From your posts I can see that you're a very visual person.

As I said before: "The only reason people like you think Lucas is more of a clone than say, Ganondorf, is because he kinda looks like Ness (height, striped shirt, big head, shorts)."

You're using the same argument with WFT and ZSS, they are both acrobatic women and share a few animations, that doesn't mean one has replaced the other. And we haven't even seen WFT's complete moveset.

nessokman

Smash Lord
as much as i love lucas with all of my ****ing heart, I wouldn't mind him being replaced by the masked man from his same game, as the MM would have more moveset options, as well as being a very badass character

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I really hate people who say that lucario is a clone of mewtwo. they are not. they play differently. the only thing that's similar is the shadow ball/aura sphere. that's pretty much it.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I really hate people who say that lucario is a clone of mewtwo. they are not. they play differently. the only thing that's similar is the shadow ball/aura sphere. that's pretty much it.
Here's another difference: Lucario has a Short-Ranged Burst attack (Side-B), and a Fire-Emblem Counterstrike (DownB), whereas Mewtwo goes for a Stun and a deflect.

eshu125

Smash Apprentice
Well considering that megaman's up b is exactly the same as sonic's, and Sakurai mentioned that megaman is a 'special' case for 3rd party support, I'm sure sonic will definitely be gone, and maybe snake will be one more exception (if not, both of them gone). So if 2 slots opened, those would make up for Villager and WFT (Wii Fit Trainer). If they released without non-staple characters such as G&W, lucario, Rob, TL, MK (please) and ZSS, along with a remake of ganondorf and falco, then there would be plenty of space for new characters being added to the character roster. We all have our opinions on what's a 'staple' and what isn't, but I think compromising those characters would allow the next smash to have a wider variety of new, unique characters without completely wrecking the balance of the game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sonic's not going anywhere. Not after Nintendo and Sega just inked a deal for two exclusive Sonic games and they've been buddy buddy since practically the death of Dreamcast.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
^^^^ Ummm, yeah. He was talking about adding new characters. We're not getting 17 or 18 new characters again like in Brawl.

More proof that I'm right guys that we shouldn't worry. Thanks SmashChu.

But still, most of the stuff is the massive stages, the adventure mode locations, all the songs, and the freaking story mode stuffs.

Wow, I definitely heard Wii instead of Wii U both times prior that I listened to that video. I suspect that I'm not the only one who made that mistake. In fact, that is probably where this rumor has come from.

DefenseTech

Smash Apprentice
The roster should be a little bit bigger than brawl just like brawl was a little bit bigger than melee

Regardless of some stupid handheld port

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
The roster should be a little bit bigger than brawl just like brawl was a little bit bigger than melee

Regardless of some stupid handheld port

Sakurai said 50 should be good. Which I think would be good aswell.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

50 would be excellent. I'd be a happy camper with a roster that size no matter who got in as I don't really have anyone else I'm clamoring for as all I wanted was a Animal Crossing Rep and Mega Man. Everyone else is just the cherry on top of the sundae.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Why do people think Lucario is gonna get removed? It doesn't make any sense to remove him at all. If anyone, I can see just Snake and Toon Link getting benched.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Why do people think Lucario is gonna get removed? It doesn't make any sense to remove him at all. If anyone, I can see just Snake and Toon Link getting benched.

Lucario will be removed because he replaced MewTwo. It just makes sense to either replace him with Zoroark or a new pokemon in X & Y.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Lucario will be removed because he replaced MewTwo. It just makes sense to either replace him with Zoroark or a new pokemon in X & Y.
That's where you're wrong. Lucario did NOT replace Mewtwo at all. Mewtwo was removed due to the timing. I dunno where you got that idea from.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
That's where you're wrong. Lucario did NOT replace Mewtwo at all. Mewtwo was removed due to the timing. I dunno where you got that idea from.
Source? Also, wouldn't it be weird if MewTwo and Lucario to have the same neutral b?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Source? Also, wouldn't it be weird if MewTwo and Lucario to have the same neutral b?
Mario and Luigi have the same neutral B and so does Lucas and Ness with some tweaks. You were saying? They may have some similar moves, but nowhere near a clone between Mewtwo/Lucario. Lucario was more of a physical fighter comparing to Mewtwo.

iMichael

Smash Lord

Sakurai said 50 characters?

You guys need to start being realistic about this, I would bank on 20-25 characters. Now, I know this is same exact number as Melee but at least with this you won't be disappointed when you find out the number of characters in the game.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Post #138, it sounded legit. Go ask him where the true source was.
Okay. We both know that's not true.

And no. Lucario did not replace Mewtwo. They were both intended to be in Brawl together.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Sakurai said 50 characters?

You guys need to start being realistic about this, I would bank on 20-25 characters. Now, I know this is same exact number as Melee but at least with this you won't be disappointed when you find out the number of characters in the game.
I hardly think they would decrease the number of characters. That would be a quote on the back of the box, "NOW WITH TEN LESS CHARACTERS! YEAH!". That would be a sight to see.

iMichael

Smash Lord
I hardly think they would decrease the number of characters. That would be a quote on the back of the box, "NOW WITH TEN LESS CHARACTERS! YEAH!". That would be a sight to see.

Quality over Quantity

They're going for a more balanced fighting game, right? If there were 15-20 characters but it was balanced and had good online, you'd buy it, play it, and be happy. All I'm saying is...don't expect 50 characters then get upset when there's only 30...that's why I said bank on 20-25.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This is precisely why I didn't want this game to be developed for the 3DS, not to mention all the time and effort being put into it that could be put towards the Wii U version. Then again from what I've seen the 3DS can handle pretty large games like Street Fighter IV and Monster Hunter Tri. Brawl had 35 characters (39 if ya count Ivysaur and Charizard as seperate, Sheik and Zero Suit Samus) I was hoping the next smash would hit 45 or 50. Could they do what they did with Brawl (a double layered disc) and make a special cartridge with extra storage space for the 3DS?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Quality over Quantity

They're going for a more balanced fighting game, right? If there were 15-20 characters but it was balanced and had good online, you'd buy it, play it, and be happy. All I'm saying is...don't expect 50 characters then get upset when there's only 30...that's why I said bank on 20-25.
Again, the main draw to smash brothers is the roster. The reason it was made was just to show who would win in a fight, Mario or Link. Now in brawl, Mario or Sonic. I would be really surprised if they were under 40. I'm banking on 43 at least.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
I say we all cool our heels and wait to see what happens. It's far too early to make any kind of assumptions right now. The talk of clones is rubbish and an excuse for people to bash on a character they don't like. If we go by how things went from Melee to Brawl, we can assume any cuts made would be based on advertising.

Shall we talk examples? Let's go with Donkey Kong. Chronobound had it right in a lot of ways in his analysis, and with the new Tropical Freeze adding in Dixie and a fourth unknown, possibilities are strong for Dixie and K.Rool making appearances, reflecting the new change.

For the other end of things, Pokemon and Fire Emblem have already seen a similar roster change of trading in for the newer generations.

As far as Young Link and Dr. Mario goes, Y.Link was traded out for the representative of the hand-helds, and Dr. Mario was only scrapped to make room for what they felt was a bigger opportunity in Sonic, if I'm reading it right. Again, mostly business decisions more than anything.

Either way, the point remains, assumptions aren't going to get us anywhere. There's no solid proof yet to know where things are going, only what we know from the previous roster change. Until we see what happens with the more unpredictable franchises in here, just cool it with the bashing. We're all hyped up and it's not good for rational thinking.

That said, I don't think we're going to see a decrease in the roster size, but not a big increase either, since that doesn't seem to be his focus right now. Depends on how much room he has to play with after he's done working with the game mechanics he wants to try, I suppose.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Again, the main draw to smash brothers is the roster. The reason it was made was just to show who would win in a fight, Mario or Link. Now in brawl, Mario or Sonic. I would be really surprised if they were under 40. I'm banking on 43 at least.

All I'm saying is don't be disappointed...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
This could be a lost in translation deal, Sakurai stated "...we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree [because of 3DS limitations]" He could have just meant graphically, or the number of objects on screen at once (villager spawning trees and wii fit trainer's volleyball, we have no screenshots of them on the 3DS version yet). Perhaps they have slightly altered movesets on the 3DS. So far he has only said that the Wii U and 3DS will have the same library of characters, not that they would play the same. Then Sakurai followed up by saying "We're working hard to include as many characters as possible". These damn articles are hard to understand out of context, especially since the original subject was on the inclusion of 3rd party characters, maybe Sakurai misunderstood. I understand how hyped people are for a mobile version of smash bros and what a big deal it will be, but I always favored consoles more so I don't understand the 3DS capabilities.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I do hope that they will not impose any restrictions on the WiiU roster based on the 3DS, because it'd be absolutely daft to hinder the WiiU version when there is no cross-play multiplayer between the 3DS and WiiU versions of the game.

Quality over Quantity

People need to remember that Sakurai said the bit about roster size impact balance before bringing on board the Namco team, at least as far as I'm aware. Having that many experienced fighter devs on board to help with balancing gives him the ability to manage a significantly larger roster than he could on his own.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sonic's not going anywhere. Not after Nintendo and Sega just inked a deal for two exclusive Sonic games and they've been buddy buddy since practically the death of Dreamcast.
Plus SEGA wants Sonics face everywhere. They have even stated that as part of their corporate strategy for the Blue Hedgehog (they wanted him to be the next Hello Kitty in Japan/USA).

Revven

FrankerZ
Just so you guys know, the majority of the space in Brawl was taken up by the following:

Music
Cutscenes (SSE) and the other video files (trailers, intro, etc)
Masterpieces (they were the FULL roms)

Characters take up very little space. Move set files (.pacs) only go up to about 170 kb AT MOST. Other character related files are slightly bigger, but to my knowledge nothing really ever exceeds more than 5-10 MBs for a single character. This also includes their recolors and team colors.

Stage files, comparatively, are bigger than character files... iirc going past 1 MB for most of them.

Basically, characters don't take up much space at all. Really, it sounds like he's going to bloat the game again with OTHER content just like Brawl and has decided to create this narrative for the roster to give the impression that characters take up a lot of space; when they actually don't.

Sakurai has a lot of leeway for space for the characters. I wouldn't worry but... those of you expecting 50 characters and expect the game to be "balanced" need a reality check.

iMichael

Smash Lord
I do hope that they will not impose any restrictions on the WiiU roster based on the 3DS, because it'd be absolutely daft to hinder the WiiU version when there is no cross-play multiplayer between the 3DS and WiiU versions of the game.

I agree...

it's just too early to tell anything and Sakurai isn't really able to talk about it...let's just wait for the Dojo to update, like we did for Brawl.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Sakurai has a lot of leeway for space for the characters. I wouldn't worry but... those of you expecting 50 characters and expect the game to be "balanced" need a reality check.
Balance concerns over roster size certainly didn't stop Sakurai dumping a ton of newcomers into Brawl, which ended up being pretty seriously imbalanced, so I'm not really worried about that.

I expect SSB4 to have a sizable roster jump and fairly weak balance, just like its two predecessors.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Sakurai has no plans on implementing DLC at this point. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-no-plans-for-smash-bros-dlc-tripping-removed

Though in some ways this is a good thing: he'll focus on putting everything he can in SSB4.
This is an excellent thing. He's following the model DLC should take: additional content that the developer makes and puts in only after delivering a complete game. I couldn't be happier with his attitude toward DLC; he's neither for nor against it, but will rather evaluate if he wants to do DLC as development progresses.

Top Bottom