• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Northern New Jersey, Weekly Brawl Tournaments

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
To make things easier: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187735

As far as size goes, I'd expect 30 at least once it gets going. I also doubt if Fridays would work because if you're planning on double elimination (standard) singles and doubles, that can take a few hours.
If 30 NEW people come for these tournaments then I would have to schedule the competitive tournaments on a different day, because my weekly tournaments usually draw 12-20 people just depending on the week. I know some regulars went away for college, a little bit too far to make it back. But this Friday we'll see what happens. Once people start hitting me up on my email: 1gamingworld@live.com, and letting me know what entry fees and prize support look like at these normal tournaments, just to make sure that I would be able to accommadate it. But I don't forsee a problem, but we will have to wait and see.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
If 30 NEW people come for these tournaments then I would have to schedule the competitive tournaments on a different day, because my weekly tournaments usually draw 12-20 people just depending on the week. I know some regulars went away for college, a little bit too far to make it back. But this Friday we'll see what happens. Once people start hitting me up on my email: 1gamingworld@live.com, and letting me know what entry fees and prize support look like at these normal tournaments, just to make sure that I would be able to accommadate it. But I don't forsee a problem, but we will have to wait and see.
Well what another gaming store terrabite does is that they let the competitve players host and people usually pay $15 and then the prize is like 60% for 1st place. Then the store gets a certain amount of % from each winning of every player that won along with the remaining 40%. So technically your not breaking the rules of your store giving out money as a prize, because the gamers are doing that and you just get the money from the players, a lot like taxes but to you instead of the government.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
Well what another gaming store terrabite does is that they let the competitve players host and people usually pay $15 and then the prize is like 60% for 1st place. Then the store gets a certain amount of % from each winning of every player that won along with the remaining 40%. So technically your not breaking the rules of your store giving out money as a prize, because the gamers are doing that and you just get the money from the players, a lot like taxes but to you instead of the government.
I was thinking 40 to 50%, but I don't get the % from each winning of every player. How many tournaments do you guys run in one tournament, because how many winners are there?? Something like this sounds like we should assign it's own separate day, because I have to assume if you really get like 30 guys then it would make it hard to have enough room for everyone there.

But this Friday we can try something like this so that I can get to know the community better, we can do $15 entry fee and 50% to winner for this tournament with your normal rules. The people that show up for this tournament that are part of this community have to let me know. Getting to know the community will only help me run better tourneys for all of you. Send me an email anytime 1gamingworld@live.com, or check out the website www.1gamingworld.webs.com

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Usually competitive tournys run 2 tournys. Singles and Doubles. Both being Double Elimination and Doubles having TA on and being able to choose the same character.

PenUmbra

Smash Apprentice
Here, My crew just hosted Terrabite 2, so I might be able to help you out.

Competitive Brawl is played in singles(1 v 1) and doubles(2 v 2)
To enter a tourny, you put in 15$ in the pot.

Let's say Jigglymaster wanted to play Singles and Doubles, and Mew2King was like, you play Jiggz, you never win a tourny(no offense). I'll help you and play doubles with you cuz I'm the **** and we'll win. Jiggly would then put in 15$ for singles AND doubles.

Meanwhile Mew2king only wanted to play doubles that day(...not happening), so he puts in 15$ for the doubles pot only.

After everyone comes and registers, you calculate... say about 60-75% of both pots individually, and take 40-25% of the pot for yourself as store owner to keep the venue open, pay your employees etc.

The top 3 of singles winner bracket obtains the amount of money in the pot that you didn't deduct (the 60-75%)

The top 2 of doubles obtain the amount of money in the pot that you didn't deduct(60-75%) but it is usually split in half to my knowledge between winners(keep in mind that it's 2 v2, you have 2 winners here.)

Prizes:
Singles
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%
Doubles:
1st- 66%
2nd - 33%

The tournaments(singles and doubles) probably WILL take up the whole day (about noon to 10, or if it runs late, to midnight) but of course, this all depends on the amount of people that show up, and I think I'm talking about 35+, never really looked at the people to time ratio.

USE THE SBR RULES.

I can't stress how important it is for you to use these rules.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187735

Without them, you're a lost cause.

If I got something wrong, someone can feel free to correct me, although I'm sure somebody would/will do it anyway.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
Good looking out Umbra beat me here. Seeing as we're about half an hour away we may attend from time to time.
So what is the usual prize on a regular non, nintendo hardware for winner, weekly?

Edit: and Jigglymaster i forgot what you placed at TB 2 and i'm far to lazy to look it up care to remind me?

Edit2: claim page 4 in the name of competitive brawl!

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
$15 is kinda too much. Make it $10 per person for each event. And taking 40-50 percent from the pot is waaaayyyy too much. The most game stores take out is 30%

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
The cost and the amount taken out of the pot really depends on the average amount of people who show up per event, and the cost the store's owner deems it appropriate to compensate for the manpower used to regulate the tourny and a bit extra for profit. If our input means anything though between 10-15 dollars per event is pretty basic in my experience, and taking about 20-35% out of the pot is the standard.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
Here, My crew just hosted Terrabite 2, so I might be able to help you out.

Competitive Brawl is played in singles(1 v 1) and doubles(2 v 2)
To enter a tourny, you put in 15$ in the pot.

Let's say Jigglymaster wanted to play Singles and Doubles, and Mew2King was like, you play Jiggz, you never win a tourny(no offense). I'll help you and play doubles with you cuz I'm the **** and we'll win. Jiggly would then put in 15$ for singles AND doubles.

Meanwhile Mew2king only wanted to play doubles that day(...not happening), so he puts in 15$ for the doubles pot only.

After everyone comes and registers, you calculate... say about 60-75% of both pots individually, and take 40-25% of the pot for yourself as store owner to keep the venue open, pay your employees etc.

The top 3 of singles winner bracket obtains the amount of money in the pot that you didn't deduct (the 60-75%)

The top 2 of doubles obtain the amount of money in the pot that you didn't deduct(60-75%) but it is usually split in half to my knowledge between winners(keep in mind that it's 2 v2, you have 2 winners here.)

Prizes:
Singles
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%
Doubles:
1st- 66%
2nd - 33%

The tournaments(singles and doubles) probably WILL take up the whole day (about noon to 10, or if it runs late, to midnight) but of course, this all depends on the amount of people that show up, and I think I'm talking about 35+, never really looked at the people to time ratio.

USE THE SBR RULES.

I can't stress how important it is for you to use these rules.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187735

Without them, you're a lost cause.

If I got something wrong, someone can feel free to correct me, although I'm sure somebody would/will do it anyway.
Ok so those prize percentages are of what the pot is after the owner deducts is part of it. I think I see how it's being done. But like you mentioned a big event would take up the whole day and having these tournaments with mine on Friday just seems like something that wouldn't be able to be done. But we could set it up on Saturdays without a problem. SBR Rules are fine by me.

But as Jiggly suggested before, this Friday we will hold 1 competitive SBR rules tournament a long with the other 3 house rules tournaments that we always run. The 1 competitive will be singles, with $15 entry fee using SBR rules. If this even gets half of the turn out that some of you suggest then I'll definitely talk to some of the guys that obviously play in these tournaments constantly and pick their brain to make these tournaments fun for everyone involved.

Email: 1gamingworld@live.com

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Good looking out Umbra beat me here. Seeing as we're about half an hour away we may attend from time to time.
So what is the usual prize on a regular non, nintendo hardware for winner, weekly?

Edit: and Jigglymaster i forgot what you placed at TB 2 and i'm far to lazy to look it up care to remind me?

Edit2: claim page 4 in the name of competitive brawl!
I got 9th place in TB 2

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
We will try this
Gaming World's 1st (actual competitive) Tournament we will now do singles and doubles.
This Saturday September 6th, registration will start at 12:00 pm and tourney to try and start by 1:00 pm
A Super Smash Bros Brawl tournament, I'd appreciate an email from anyone planning on attending my tournament to email me with your intentions of attending or go to my website and look at the sign up page on my forums. This is to try and see how many people plan on attending so that I am better prepared. Thanks in advance and hope to see you there.

All In One Collectibles(Gaming World is inside)
490 East Main St. (Rt. 53)
Unit 4
Denville, NJ. 07834
(973)664-0912
visit www.1gamingworld.webs.com
Email- 1gamingworld@live.com

Venue Fee:
$5 spectator
1v1: $15
2vs2: $15 ($30 in total)

Prize:
Singles
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Doubles-
1st- 66%
2nd-33%
Gaming World will be taking 35% of the pot

Like mentioned above tourney will start about 7 pm, registration starts at 6 pm.
This is a bring your own controller event, any standard controller is acceptable.

General Rules
* Items are set to OFF
* The stock is set to 3
* The stock time limit is set to 7:00.
* All sets are best of 3 matches except the championship set which is best of 5
* Ties will be broken by lives, then by percentage. If competitors are at the same percentage at time out, then the tie will be broken by a 1 stock on the same stage. In the event of another time out win goes to lower percentage.
If bowser suicide side-bs an opponent and the game registers a tie, the win goes to bowser automatically.
* Excessive stalling is banned.
* Life Stealing is allowed
* Set team attack to ON
* Wireless controllers are discouraged however all methods of play (e.g. classic controller) are allowed.
* Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage.
* Random Knock-Out: Each player may choose to eliminate 1 of the random stages to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
* Stage Banning: Each player may choose to eliminate 1 of the stages available for counterpicking.
* You are responsible to bring your own controller. Wireless controllers are highly discourage, if you can get a wired one bring it.
* Controller mods of ANY kind, except for cosmetic changes, are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.
* Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. Third party controllers or pads that have these features are discouraged. if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.
* Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them, or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.
* Tactics such as Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Fox's Shine are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match is banned.

Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match. You may request a double blind pick.
2. Each player may announce their Random and Counterpick stage elimination.
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List, or opponents may agree upon a stage.
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character

Neutral Stages

Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick Stages

Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon
Battleship Halberd
Pictochat
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Norfair

Banned Stages

Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Bridge of Eldin
Rumble Falls
Pokémon Stadium 2
Port Town
Wario Ware
New Pork City
The Summit
Shadow Moses Island
Skyworld
75m
Spear Pillar
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Electroplankton
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Big Blue
Green Greens
Corneria
Temple
Jungle Japes
Onett
Pirate Ship
Distant Planet
All custom stages

the Lexx

Smash Apprentice
I should be able to go unless something comes up. Wish I could've gone to Terra 2, there's a big lack of tourneys in this area ;/

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
I have changed the competitive tournament date of this event to Saturday the 6th to accommodate the Smash community's interest in having singles and doubles tournaments. So we will see what happens, I'll set up an AIB and also post a new thread on this site. AIB is http://www.allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=2572 so that everyone understands that the big competitive one will be Saturday the 6th, and on Friday we will only have our usual store games with house rules.

We will try this
Gaming World's 1st (actual competitive) Tournament we will now do singles and doubles.
This Saturday September 6th, registration will start at 12:00 pm and tourney to try and start by 1:00 pm
A Super Smash Bros Brawl tournament, I'd appreciate an email from anyone planning on attending my tournament to email me with your intentions of attending or go to my website and look at the sign up page on my forums. This is to try and see how many people plan on attending so that I am better prepared. Thanks in advance and hope to see you there.

All In One Collectibles(Gaming World is inside)
490 East Main St. (Rt. 53)
Unit 4
Denville, NJ. 07834
(973)664-0912
visit www.1gamingworld.webs.com
Email- 1gamingworld@live.com

Venue Fee:
$5 spectator
1v1: $15
2vs2: $15 ($30 in total)

Prize:
Singles
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Doubles-
1st- 66%
2nd-33%
All prizes given out for this tournament will be given out in Visa Gift Cards.
Gaming World will be taking 35% of the pot

Like mentioned above tourney will start about 7 pm, registration starts at 6 pm.
This is a bring your own controller event, any standard controller is acceptable.

General Rules
* Items are set to OFF
* The stock is set to 3
* The stock time limit is set to 7:00.
* All sets are best of 3 matches except the championship set which is best of 5
* Ties will be broken by lives, then by percentage. If competitors are at the same percentage at time out, then the tie will be broken by a 1 stock on the same stage. In the event of another time out win goes to lower percentage.
If bowser suicide side-bs an opponent and the game registers a tie, the win goes to bowser automatically.
* Excessive stalling is banned.
* Life Stealing is allowed
* Set team attack to ON
* Wireless controllers are discouraged however all methods of play (e.g. classic controller) are allowed.
* Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage.
* Random Knock-Out: Each player may choose to eliminate 1 of the random stages to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
* Stage Banning: Each player may choose to eliminate 1 of the stages available for counterpicking.
* You are responsible to bring your own controller. Wireless controllers are highly discourage, if you can get a wired one bring it.
* Controller mods of ANY kind, except for cosmetic changes, are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.
* Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. Third party controllers or pads that have these features are discouraged. if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.
* Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them, or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.
* Tactics such as Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Fox's Shine are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match is banned.

Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match. You may request a double blind pick.
2. Each player may announce their Random and Counterpick stage elimination.
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List, or opponents may agree upon a stage.
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character

Neutral Stages

Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick Stages

Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon
Battleship Halberd
Pictochat
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Norfair

Banned Stages

Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Bridge of Eldin
Rumble Falls
Pokémon Stadium 2
Port Town
Wario Ware
New Pork City
The Summit
Shadow Moses Island
Skyworld
75m
Spear Pillar
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Electroplankton
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Big Blue
Green Greens
Corneria
Temple
Jungle Japes
Onett
Pirate Ship
Distant Planet
All custom stages

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
You just won at life. You as a venue, is about to make some serious moolah if you can run a tourney well (and we are a nice community. We usually run our own tourneys these days, so we can help you)

And Umbra, good looking out fixing this dude. If the Venue is nice, this could be seriously good.

R00kie, we might be missing CH4, lol

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
You just won at life. You as a venue, is about to make some serious moolah if you can run a tourney well (and we are a nice community. We usually run our own tourneys these days, so we can help you)

And Umbra, good looking out fixing this dude. If the Venue is nice, this could be seriously good.

R00kie, we might be missing CH4, lol
Like I've said many times this could be the 1st of many, or just a failed attempt. I've seen a who quick the community responds to a bunch of things and I've noticed they are BIG. I think we have a nice store and setup, the gaming aspect of the store is all brand new. I've made a lot of changes on the video game aspect of the store since I took over. So Saturday I welcome the Smash Community into my store. And help is always appreciated, and anybody that shows up a bit early or wants to send me an email and let me know by what you mean by you run your own tourneys these days. It would be appreciated. Email is 1gamingworld@live.com

You can check out some pictures on my website www.1gamingworld.webs.com

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Like I've said many times this could be the 1st of many, or just a failed attempt. I've seen a who quick the community responds to a bunch of things and I've noticed they are BIG. I think we have a nice store and setup, the gaming aspect of the store is all brand new. I've made a lot of changes on the video game aspect of the store since I took over. So Saturday I welcome the Smash Community into my store. And help is always appreciated, and anybody that shows up a bit early or wants to send me an email and let me know by what you mean by you run your own tourneys these days. It would be appreciated. Email is 1gamingworld@live.com

You can check out some pictures on my website www.1gamingworld.webs.com
I'd suggest that you make all the TV's brawl and move it around a bit to make it bigger, if its going to be all day it has to be a bit bigger than that tiny corner with 2 brawl games. Don't worry about wiis and brawl games, people can bring those, it would probably be better if you moved the yugio table and move some of the TV's over there and make them brawl as well. You can keep it the same for your regular tourny tho.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
I'd suggest that you make all the TV's brawl and move it around a bit to make it bigger, if its going to be all day it has to be a bit bigger than that tiny corner with 2 brawl games. Don't worry about wiis and brawl games, people can bring those, it would probably be better if you moved the yugio table and move some of the TV's over there and make them brawl as well. You can keep it the same for your regular tourny tho.
The table that was in the back won't be there on Saturday. But there will still be a small Heroclix tournament held during that time frame where that Yugioh table was. But I was planning on having one more Wii for the tourney, so we would have 3 Wiis for the tourney. How many do you guys usually use for a tournament??

bigmac267

Smash Cadet
Yup, most likely the exact opposite of a competitive tourny. Cept i'm surprised nobody used wii remotes and that they had items off. None the less it gives me something to do so i'll go to these alot. If your like an hour away, don't bother lol.

I just got this pm from someguy i beat there.

where the **** did u come from?? where the **** did u come from??
i cnt beleive u come out of no ****in where and dominate all in ones i cant stand that crap.. so u come in and call urself DA PUFF more like DA ***!! Im the one who won the most brawl tourneys even berfore ur *** shows up....soo what ur good with random characters but if some of the top players in that store used their main ud get robbed thas was upp... but hey at least we know we have a challenge...my names Devon im the one who lost to u with game and watch and ****in luigi....i hate those 2 characters my best are pika and diddy kong ... u got some pretty good stuff and looks like uve done ur homework on mastering the diddykong banana dash i give u props!! its good that u have a wii but me ....well i dont have one and i get all my stuff from youtube... soo i wanna own ur *** one on one ur stupid jiggs against my pika and diddy .... and we'll put money on the line .. ask anyONE in all in ones who won the most brawl tourneys --------> me <------- and i dnt have a wii wow soo lets see what u got i only play the best and well looks like a found onee..... this will be gudd

wow....LOLOLOL.
Hey Puff,
I'm Ryan- I played you in the finals this past Friday for the DS- by the way, congrats! It seems like there is a good deal of negativity between some of the local players and any potential higher-level players at All In One/One Gaming World. I sincerely hope that we can resolve this quickly. As Raf mentioned, he is going to try and make a more competitive tournament on Saturday with a larger risk/reward. At the same time, he will keep the normal tournaments on Friday that will have a smaller prize for the more casual players. Unfortunately, it seems that I don't really have time for Saturday, especially since I'm only home from college on weekends right now (the ten hour potential is not good), though I may show up to play Heroclix. As for Devon, I'm surprised by his, uh, colorful response because I know him and he is a pretty nice guy. Anyway, I apologize for this and I will speak to him on Friday. Hopefully, we'll all be able to get along. Raf wants to ensure that his business is successful and that the players get along, and I want to see the tournament that I have been a part of for so long continues to thrive.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
The table that was in the back won't be there on Saturday. But there will still be a small Heroclix tournament held during that time frame where that Yugioh table was. But I was planning on having one more Wii for the tourney, so we would have 3 Wiis for the tourney. How many do you guys usually use for a tournament??
The number of wiis needed is based on the tvs available combined with the number of people coming, in short it would be best if every tv available could have brawl running for the tourny.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
The number of wiis needed is based on the tvs available combined with the number of people coming, in short it would be best if every tv available could have brawl running for the tourny.
As much as I appreciate your answer, it still didn't actually answer the question. How many Wiis are typically used? 1? 2? 3? 10? Realistically I assumed 2, but I could be wrong. Anyone that knows I would appreciate it, even if it's the number of Wiis that you used at the last couple of tournaments that you played in. Thanks in advance.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
last 5 tournies i went too had at least 6 wii's running simulatenously
Thank You that's what I was curious about. The gaming aspect of the store, has 4 LCDs, and 1 Tube TV. I have 2 Wiis but will have a 3rd for the Saturday tournament. If people would like to bring 2 more Wiis, we can hook them up to the other ones. I don't know if the Smash community has a preference but I even have a small 13 to 15 inch TV that could be used just to move things along. So I could have 6 Wiis running, but have planned on my end for 3 at the moment. But being my 1st event, after this is over I'll be better prepared as what to expect for this tourney.

PenUmbra

Smash Apprentice
That's not bad, Just Tell people you need 2-4 setups and to make sure that all the characters and stages are unlocked in their setup. You should get a good response, it wouldn't be the first time a Venue lacked the amount of supplies required.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
I'll have 3 that should have all characters and I believe all stages unlocked right now. So we can make it work

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
And don't worry about it too much. I think that you can transfer Brawl data via an SD card, and I have one. It is common practice for Brawlers to bring the materials we need to play. As a venue supplier, your main priorites for satisfying us is providing a reasonably comfortable area, with a reasonable number of screens 6+ and preferably be in a location easy to access. That's pretty much all we need.

Now, as a tournament host, there are a few other things, such as correct seeding in the brackets (we'll help you with this) as well as keeping the tournament flowing well, so that we do not run ridiculously past the time limit. Like I said, we are actually really nice people, and a positive community (I can't think of any person in this region, or even in NYC who I'm beefing with, and everyone is mad chill), so if running a larger tourney is new to you, then it's not really a problem; we will help you out.

Also, we're not beefing with the casual players, it's just that pretty much all of the best Smashers around the world are on this website, and most of the best players in the region have posted on this thread, or at least read it. There are MANY of us with as much skill or more than Jigglymaster, and, as my friend Geo very adequately put it: I love Smash because it really demonstrates the fishbowl effect. You think you're the biggest fish out there until you get taken out of your bowl, and put in a tank, and nobody in that tank even compares to anything in the ocean. Since you've shaped up your rules, if your venue is nice, we will come out regularly for tournaments every weekend. Even your best players right now will feel completely insignificant in terms of skill level. As a competative community, we may make a joke or two, but we really aren't out to make fun of others. If there's any beef between the smashers that are regulars, and us, it's going to be initiated by sore losers.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
First thing I will say because everyone will want to know is I looked into the logistics of it and I will be able to give away CASH prizes. I had to be careful but I know this will make everyone happy. Second because this tournament has now become a Saturday tournament it won't interfere with my normal Smashers, because their usual event is still being held on Fridays. This just something that could entice them to see how good they really are against some of the better competitors out there. Saturday will be a test run for all of us, and we will see and any help will always be appreciated so that EVERYONE involved can have an enjoyable time.

NUMBER 2- for anyone that wants to take me up on this offer, it is an offer that I am an verbally telling my regulars. But I have a little thing called beat the champ, $3 to play one game of NBA LIVE 08 on the Xbox 360, you beat me in one game I give you a gift card worth $10. There will be a 30 point mercy rule in affect.

bigmac267

Smash Cadet
First thing I will say because everyone will want to know is I looked into the logistics of it and I will be able to give away CASH prizes. I had to be careful but I know this will make everyone happy. Second because this tournament has now become a Saturday tournament it won't interfere with my normal Smashers, because their usual event is still being held on Fridays. This just something that could entice them to see how good they really are against some of the better competitors out there. Saturday will be a test run for all of us, and we will see and any help will always be appreciated so that EVERYONE involved can have an enjoyable time.

NUMBER 2- for anyone that wants to take me up on this offer, it is an offer that I am an verbally telling my regulars. But I have a little thing called beat the champ, $3 to play one game of NBA LIVE 08 on the Xbox 360, you beat me in one game I give you a gift card worth $10. There will be a 30 point mercy rule in affect.
This sounds like a great arrangement that is really coming together. For now, we might just have to keep the local and better players seperated. In time, especially with the Friday tournament taking small steps towards being a "real" tournament with SBR rules, the groups may get along fine. In addition, some casual players may be able to step up to the next level of competition. However, it will still be a while before I or any of the other better locals can keep up with stronger players. Also, Mew2King, please don't kill MEEEEEEE!:laugh:

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
how about you just make a Sunday tourney instead of a Friday tourney. I would never be able to attend these if you hold them at 12 because of college.
Mew2king and anyone else i'm sorry for any misunderstanding. Our local Friday tournaments start at 7 pm. This weeks big competitive tournament is Saturday at 1 pm w/ registration starting at 12 pm. Even I agree Fridays at 12 pm I'd have maybe like 2 people in my store, and I'd be one of them LOL

http://www.allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=2572

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
Is this still going to be single elimination? I would've thought that most people preferred double elimination.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'm asking the Smashers that have helped me this far. Do you usually have double elimination tournaments. SBR says they reserve it for bigger tournaments. 30+ people I could see it double elim, but if you are closer to 20 I'm skeptical but like always I try and listen to some of the guys that have been more active in this forum.

And guys be ready for our big event the All in One Gaming World Mega Weekend, you can check my website for more info, www.1gamingworld.webs.com, but I'll have a new thread for this website soon. And will speak to most of you about this next Saturday

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
Every tournament I've been too has had double elimination, but every tournament I've been too has had at least 30 people. So I guess what it boils down too is what do you have time for and how many people is your store handled to have playing at once. If there were about like 3 TVs and 10+ people I'd opt for single elimination just to keep things moving.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
Every tournament I've been too has had double elimination, but every tournament I've been too has had at least 30 people. So I guess what it boils down too is what do you have time for and how many people is your store handled to have playing at once. If there were about like 3 TVs and 10+ people I'd opt for single elimination just to keep things moving.
I have 4 LCD and 1 Tube(and technically 1 real small tube that I could use, I'll have 3 Wiis and have said if anyone wants to bring theirs it would be appreciated and would help move things a long. Like I said before if you had 30, I could understand double elim but if you don't have that many I don't think it makes that much sense. I just really think it should be single elim and that's how I've advertised until now. For the next one I think I'll have a better feel for what the Smash community wants.

bigmac267

Smash Cadet
And don't worry about it too much. I think that you can transfer Brawl data via an SD card, and I have one. It is common practice for Brawlers to bring the materials we need to play. As a venue supplier, your main priorites for satisfying us is providing a reasonably comfortable area, with a reasonable number of screens 6+ and preferably be in a location easy to access. That's pretty much all we need.

Now, as a tournament host, there are a few other things, such as correct seeding in the brackets (we'll help you with this) as well as keeping the tournament flowing well, so that we do not run ridiculously past the time limit. Like I said, we are actually really nice people, and a positive community (I can't think of any person in this region, or even in NYC who I'm beefing with, and everyone is mad chill), so if running a larger tourney is new to you, then it's not really a problem; we will help you out.

Also, we're not beefing with the casual players, it's just that pretty much all of the best Smashers around the world are on this website, and most of the best players in the region have posted on this thread, or at least read it. There are MANY of us with as much skill or more than Jigglymaster, and, as my friend Geo very adequately put it: I love Smash because it really demonstrates the fishbowl effect. You think you're the biggest fish out there until you get taken out of your bowl, and put in a tank, and nobody in that tank even compares to anything in the ocean. Since you've shaped up your rules, if your venue is nice, we will come out regularly for tournaments every weekend. Even your best players right now will feel completely insignificant in terms of skill level. As a competative community, we may make a joke or two, but we really aren't out to make fun of others. If there's any beef between the smashers that are regulars, and us, it's going to be initiated by sore losers.
I agree with the sore losers comment. I was at the tournament and I know all of the local players. Some get annoyed when they have to play even me, and I can't beat most of them effortlessly. I think that some of them were offended that they were so easily beaten, without realising that Puff is just the tip of the proverbial iceburg. It may just be that a lot of the players play the game too casually to make significant progress. Others, like Devon, believe that the random character and/or stage part of the tournament truly hurt their chances. However, I played Puff in like 7 games that night, and it wouldn't have really mattered which characters were played- he was clearly better with most characters than the other players. There definitely seemed to be an overreaction to the losses. Hopefully, this resentment will fade soon as they realize that they aren't being "invaded" or anything like that.

bigmac267

Smash Cadet
how about you just make a Sunday tourney instead of a Friday tourney. I would never be able to attend these if you hold them at 12 because of college.
I know what you mean- I come home from college on Friday afternoon and am home until the Monday morning. As it stands, I probably won't be able to go much anyway because of time constraints, but I will try to make a few.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully they can come to understand that playing higher level competition and asking/listening to a better player's advise will help them advance in leaps and bounds. Also how have you been running the weekly friday events, were those single or double elimination. And after the events were the participants allowed to hang out and play friendlies (non serious 0 consequence matches) after they were elimination/done?

Top Bottom