• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Northern New Jersey, Weekly Brawl Tournaments

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
I'm the owner of Gaming World, a place where every Friday we have weekly Brawl tournaments. If time allows it we play 3 different formats of Brawl. Single Elimination, Tag Team Play, and King of the Castle formats. In my opinion we have the best players that you can find, but now I am inviting anyone in the Northern New Jersey area that would like to come and compete and enjoy themselves while playing Super Smash Bros Brawl to come by and see us this Friday.

Usually tournaments start at 7:00 pm, but this Friday we actually have a special tournament where the winner can actually take home a Limited Edition Pokemon Nintendo DS Lite. We will try and start the tournament at about 6:00 pm this week so come by and try your luck. The website for my store is www.1gamingworld.webs.com , my email is 1gamingworld@live.com send me questions/comments anytime

Hope to see you there.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
What is the payout, and all the info? I suggest you post all your info here, or you will get no people to show. Also post the payouts, and what is this Tag Team Play and King of the Castle. Single Elimination is bad, Double Elimination is usually how tourneys are run. I hope you meant to say Singles, and I hope Tag Team means doubles. What is King of the Castle?

for future reference, edit your first post with a lot more info into it, and post this stuff way ahead of times with all the prizes and exact address layed out right there on 1 post.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
I suggest everyone check out the Gaming World site. It's pretty much the coolest/most awesome thing I've seen since 1995 when mouse trails and pageview counters got out of style.

Try spelling your name with the mouse trail or maybe just make figure eights. Right above the scrolling marquee, you'll find the current generation systems that you can light on fire with the mouse trail. HOW COOL IS THAT!?

Soo... probably not coming to this ^_^. Maybe if no one else did, but I wouldn't want to show up and actually risk losing in a 6-8 person tournament. That'd just be too embarassing...

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
Sup guys, my tournaments ranges from 12-20 people with maybe 25 different guys who circulate in and out. Posting on this forum is new for us, but it was a way to expand to everyone who enjoys playing this game with lots of people and get some type of prize. The prizes aren't always big, but every so often we will be doing big prized tournaments. I'll explain the 3 formats and how we play them. The single elimination is basically 1vs1 style in a bracket system. Best way to explain it, it is like the NFL playoffs. A bracket system where you win your first round and you go to the next round and so on and so on. No characters are banned, this tournament is played on Final Destination with no items, and you have 3 stocks.

What we call tag team play is basically 2vs2 play. No items again, 3 stocks, single elimination, team attack is off, No restrictions on characters other than that the same character can not be used twice on the same team. The stage is usually a neutral site like Final Destination, Smashville, Yoshis Island, Battlefield, Lylat Cruise but these are sometimes voted on before the tourney to see what people agree on. Entry is $3 per person

King of the Castle format is 1vs1, no items, 3 stock, random character and random map no restrictions on these two things. The winner of last weeks regular tournament, starts this tournament with the title. You sign up and random opponents will play the King, if you beat the King you become the current King. And then you will contine playing the random opponents until someone takes your title. Person wearing the crown at the end of the night wins this tourney. Entry is $3

This Fridays Big Tournament is single elimination, 1vs1, no items, 3 stock, random characters, on random neutral map. Prize for this tourney is the Limited Edition Pokemon DS Lite. Entry for this tourney is $12,.

And keep us in mind because our next big Brawl tournament will be for a Wii, and we are going to have a Brawl season where the winner of the season will win themselves a Wii, but more info to come in the future. Any question/comments email me at 1gamingworld@live.com or check out the website at www.1gamingworld.webs.com Suggestions are always welcomed by email, as we are looking to grow with all the tournaments that we hold.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
Random characters for the DS Lite bracket?

And I thought I knew what a real john was...

It was something that was discussed with the regulars and decided about two weeks ago. The better players usually stay with the same handful of characters. But someone in my opinion who considers himself the best should be able to do win with anyone, anytime. It's not like your opponent won't have a random character as well.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
OK so I've been to this tourney before, and despite the awkwardness of the rules, there is some solid competition here. Granted the tourney is small and had occasionally wacky rules, i enjoyed myself every time i went.

Only thing that sux is on the usual Friday tourneys, the prize is store credit o.0....

The enviorment is friendly with the occasional spoiled brat kid who gets owned first round. The Final Destination thing is BS though, I haven't been there in a month but when i went they didn't have any flat screens, and we were certainly playing on few more stages than FD.

Rules ARE single elimination, random brackets,3 dollar buy-in with a variable payout. they have controllers there, but they suck so bad that if u don't bring your own you're pretty much just donating them moneys..

Overall, its meh.. 7/10 on a G00D DAY.. I'll Certainly be there this Friday, I've never placed lower than top 3 at this tourney and I've been attending on and off since they held Melee tourneys every Friday.. plus I need a new DS for FFIV ^.^

I guess PM me if you have any questions about it

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Oh man. 2v2 team attack OFF? Double tornadoes anyone? Single elimination? That sounds sooo worth paying X amount of dollars for two rounds with someone. Random characters and random stages for a ds? No, thanks, I have better odds at Atlantic City.

Fix your tourney, and you'll have real players attend: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187735

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
OK so I've been to this tourney before, and despite the awkwardness of the rules, there is some solid competition here. Granted the tourney is small and had occasionally wacky rules, i enjoyed myself every time i went.

Only thing that sux is on the usual Friday tourneys, the prize is store credit o.0....

The enviorment is friendly with the occasional spoiled brat kid who gets owned first round. The Final Destination thing is BS though, I haven't been there in a month but when i went they didn't have any flat screens, and we were certainly playing on few more stages than FD.

Rules ARE single elimination, random brackets,3 dollar buy-in with a variable payout. they have controllers there, but they suck so bad that if u don't bring your own you're pretty much just donating them moneys..

Overall, its meh.. 7/10 on a G00D DAY.. I'll Certainly be there this Friday, I've never placed lower than top 3 at this tourney and I've been attending on and off since they held Melee tourneys every Friday.. plus I need a new DS for FFIV ^.^

I guess PM me if you have any questions about it
You need to check out the website then, www.1gamingworld.webs.com because since I've taken over the gaming at the store, I've updated a lot of stuff. We also have some new controllers because the old ones were in bad condition. You can just ask me a question cuz a lot has changed I guess since you've last been here.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Lol, I won the nintendo DS.

That Be me

But yes, the rules are still very gay, it would have been much easier if I could just use my main like a normal tourny.

Sombody thought there that i was 10 >_______________>

I'm 16 and a junior in high.

Btw, what they meant by random neutrals. They meant EVERY STAGE. Including the Custom stages. I got both sample stages and I lived till 300 with Link against this guy's G&W and ended up 3 stocking him on the L Maze

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Yup, most likely the exact opposite of a competitive tourny. Cept i'm surprised nobody used wii remotes and that they had items off. None the less it gives me something to do so i'll go to these alot. If your like an hour away, don't bother lol.

I just got this pm from someguy i beat there.

where the **** did u come from?? where the **** did u come from??
i cnt beleive u come out of no ****in where and dominate all in ones i cant stand that crap.. so u come in and call urself DA PUFF more like DA ***!! Im the one who won the most brawl tourneys even berfore ur *** shows up....soo what ur good with random characters but if some of the top players in that store used their main ud get robbed thas was upp... but hey at least we know we have a challenge...my names Devon im the one who lost to u with game and watch and ****in luigi....i hate those 2 characters my best are pika and diddy kong ... u got some pretty good stuff and looks like uve done ur homework on mastering the diddykong banana dash i give u props!! its good that u have a wii but me ....well i dont have one and i get all my stuff from youtube... soo i wanna own ur *** one on one ur stupid jiggs against my pika and diddy .... and we'll put money on the line .. ask anyONE in all in ones who won the most brawl tourneys --------> me <------- and i dnt have a wii wow soo lets see what u got i only play the best and well looks like a found onee..... this will be gudd

wow....LOLOLOL.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
Hey Jiggly I've congratulated you for winning my tournament. With the rules that were in place that night you did dominate. The rules were made for the specific tournament, but with all the posts that you make everywhere, you seem to say different things all the time. You contradict yourself regarding my tournament. I explained that the DS tournament was a special tournament with special rules , and that was the reason random characters was on for that tourney. And for the DS tourney you making it sound like all the stages were used which is untrue. The DS tournament used random stages but it was only set for the 5 fairest stages. The other tournament that went on that night, the King of the Castle, actually had similar rules which on weekly basis they are different, but the difference was that there were no restrictions on any of the stages and yes it was set to random. All our tourneys are meant to be fun and they have been going on for awhile now on a weekly basis.

In different forums (like mine, http://1gamingworld.webs.com/forums.htm?forumID=2627533&page=1&topicID=1425957,) you talk like you won't really be coming to the tourney much, on this one you say that it will be something to do now, you almost imply that you'll be there but you tell people that they shouldn't waste their time. I don't get that. If the tournaments are so bad, but your going to be there on occassion, why tell people not to go. Everyone is welcomed and we will be having a big tournament in about 3 weeks that I will be announcing in a couple of days. I'm almost really curious to see if you will be there. Last thing, on my forums you seem to be upset that I used your picture on my forum, yet you copied and pasted your picture on this forum, which obviously will be seen by many, many more people.

Congrats again, but I think you need to stop contradicting yourself on different forums about the same topic.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Fix your rules and you'll be making much more money off these than you do now trust me. Especially if you have a nice venue and are close to people. You'd only be doing yourself a favor.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
Fix your rules and you'll be making much more money off these than you do now trust me. Especially if you have a nice venue and are close to people. You'd only be doing yourself a favor.

I told everyone new at my tournament that I don't mind adjusting rules for my normal tournaments. But we have had weekly Friday Brawl tournaments and Melee before that, for what seems forever. And I tell people to email me (1gamingworld@live.com) and talk to me about anything like this. But we run 3 tournaments in one day and each one has different rules because everyone like to spice it up a bit. But on Friday we had a special tournament for a DS that we were planning on having special rules ahead of time. I understand that they aren't the typical favored Brawl rules, but it was something different for everyone. So everyone is on a open playing field. And the one thing about Jiggly, that he showed at the tournament, was that he's a beast with just about any random character that he got.

In 3 weeks I will be holding an event labeled the All in One Gaming World Mega Weekend, where we will have 2 big Brawl tournaments sometime during the 3-day weekend and one of them will be for a Nintendo Wii. The event will also have a Madden 09, Halo 3, and Soul Calibur 4 tournaments. More info to come but I think I'll have rules close to what is typically seen on AIB in the tournament for the Nintendo Wii. But my regulars have never had any problems with having different rules for different tournaments because it changes it up a bit.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Hey Jiggly I've congratulated you for winning my tournament. With the rules that were in place that night you did dominate. The rules were made for the specific tournament, but with all the posts that you make everywhere, you seem to say different things all the time. You contradict yourself regarding my tournament. I explained that the DS tournament was a special tournament with special rules , and that was the reason random characters was on for that tourney. And for the DS tourney you making it sound like all the stages were used which is untrue. The DS tournament used random stages but it was only set for the 5 fairest stages. The other tournament that went on that night, the King of the Castle, actually had similar rules which on weekly basis they are different, but the difference was that there were no restrictions on any of the stages and yes it was set to random. All our tourneys are meant to be fun and they have been going on for awhile now on a weekly basis.

In different forums (like mine, http://1gamingworld.webs.com/forums.htm?forumID=2627533&page=1&topicID=1425957,) you talk like you won't really be coming to the tourney much, on this one you say that it will be something to do now, you almost imply that you'll be there but you tell people that they shouldn't waste their time. I don't get that. If the tournaments are so bad, but your going to be there on occassion, why tell people not to go. Everyone is welcomed and we will be having a big tournament in about 3 weeks that I will be announcing in a couple of days. I'm almost really curious to see if you will be there. Last thing, on my forums you seem to be upset that I used your picture on my forum, yet you copied and pasted your picture on this forum, which obviously will be seen by many, many more people.

Congrats again, but I think you need to stop contradicting yourself on different forums about the same topic.
Well i mean i liked going the tournament but me myself i still don't feel that confterble about the rules. I'm still half and half. I go to this tourny because it is the only tourny around and its weekley, gives me something to do. But, the tournament rules I don't agree 100% with. Those rules are turning away A LOT of good players. Ecpecially when you said a random neutral stage, we ended up doing random for EVERY stage. Once you do get good people coming everyone there who is new is going to be as good as me and a lot that are much more better than I am. With that said its going to drive away your current players because they won't be able to win anymore with players like me and better just destroying the competition. Out of everyone I've seen there, about 2 of your players reached competitive level. But they're just at the very begining of it. Eventually crews of players are going to show up and try asking you if they can run it and do this their way. (3 stock, no items, 7 time limit, neutral stages on random, countpickstages for losers, best of 3, any character allowed) Though I did defeat everyone there with random characters I still believe it would have been much easier if we all could use our main. My Diddy Kong would have been unstoppable.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
I told everyone new at my tournament that I don't mind adjusting rules for my normal tournaments. But we have had weekly Friday Brawl tournaments and Melee before that, for what seems forever. And I tell people to email me (1gamingworld@live.com) and talk to me about anything like this. But we run 3 tournaments in one day and each one has different rules because everyone like to spice it up a bit. But on Friday we had a special tournament for a DS that we were planning on having special rules ahead of time. I understand that they aren't the typical favored Brawl rules, but it was something different for everyone. So everyone is on a open playing field. And the one thing about Jiggly, that he showed at the tournament, was that he's a beast with just about any random character that he got.

In 3 weeks I will be holding an event labeled the All in One Gaming World Mega Weekend, where we will have 2 big Brawl tournaments sometime during the 3-day weekend and one of them will be for a Nintendo Wii. The event will also have a Madden 09, Halo 3, and Soul Calibur 4 tournaments. More info to come but I think I'll have rules close to what is typically seen on AIB in the tournament for the Nintendo Wii. But my regulars have never had any problems with having different rules for different tournaments because it changes it up a bit.
There's no need for you to see an email. After you started this thread you immediately got negative feedback from everyone here. Smashboards for the most part is home to GOOD players who don't want to waste their time and money on bull$hit rules like random everything when their money is on the line. Jiggly's good no doubt, but there are many good players who you are turning away with your crappy rules. Should you fix your rooms in the link I posted a few posts back (in case you're too lazy to check, http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187735 ). Not only would you make more money from fixing your rule set, but with good players showing up to your venue (and I mean good like anyone off this list http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=99590&highlight=Player+finder ) your reputation will be a good one, and not just a "scrub tourney host."

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
GamingWorld...

Your store, right now is a local tournament with players who like to play just for fun.

Right now, your advertising to Serious and Money making players who play the game competitivly.

If you want to get these players to come, you have to make this weekley tournament no longer a local tournament. It has to become a competitive tournament. Once these guys start coming, your local players are not going to win anymore and will be on the rock bottom because they are not really that good at all.

Its your choice, Keep it as a local tournament and don't advertise here. Or change it to a competitive tournament and get lots of more players but have to change the rules to regular tournament standerds. Theres one level or the other, its never going to be both. Competitive players play for money and are always serious, they play the game not only because its fun, because they want to win money and gain experiance. If you want to be succesful at advertising here your going to have to change the rules to normal ruleset. If you don't that means your keeping it as a local friendly tournament, if you do that don't bother advertising here because most people here aren't going to come.

So which is it, is it going to be a local touranment, or a competitive tournament.

So what i suggest, is lets BOTH give each other a chance.

Gaming World - make a extra tournament but with regular ruleset just for this weeks friday.

Fellow SWF games - come to the tournament and see what its like, give the place a chance.

Who knows, if we both do this me can probably get things settled and everyone can enjoy.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Jigglymaster said it best. Most players here are around 20 years old or older. We don't spend so much time on a game just because it puts a smile on our face. We want some money for the effort we put in, and your rule set isn't good enough.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
I personally have no problem running one more tournament, with what you guys consider your rules on a weekly basis. I've always said that I'm open for suggestions, if the real competitive guys would like to use my venue as a place to play weekly that's fine with me. I'm curious what entry fees look like and prize support for these tournaments, so anyone can just email me and let me know what they look like at 1gamingworld@live.com

And I'd have to see how many competitive people would show up to this with their rules, because as most of you state it would be a big tournament. I'd give you guys your own day if that was the case. Holding 3 tournaments during Friday gets a little hectic, but I don't mind giving it a try to see how it goes. If this new tournament seems to get to big we can assign it on Saturdays or something, but that's a conversation for the future. This Friday I will host one more tournament with the rules that are more up to par according to the competitive players, and we will see what the turnout will be. I did read the "Bible" of rules before, all of what seemed 1000 pages, but I got the jist of it. And people that I guess will play in the more competitive one can let me know they will be going so that I can actually see the difference in people.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Sombody thought there that i was 10 >_______________>
You mean you're not? News to me. :laugh:

You might want to look in the Tournament Discussion forum and check out what the SBR Recommended Brawl ruleset is.

Worst comes to worse, TSA might come and help host one of these events. Actually, I've been kinda itching on hosting a doubles only tournament to see how well it goes before SMASHTALITY V launches.

Top Bottom