• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Northern New Jersey, Brawl Tournament

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
I can make a compromise, if we can start this tournament 2 hours earlier, and you guys get the word out cuz I wouldn't want anyone showing up at 1 and we already have the tourney well underway. Then I won't think about it twice and we can do double elimination, absoluetely NO PROBLEM at all. Problem is and I repeat, I blame Jigglymaster LOL, that because this tournament was setup out of the blue and actually seems to have been taken very well by everyone. I had prior engagements later that day that I just can't cancel. Now after this week if I'll never schedule anything on a Saturday for the rest of my life if it's necessary to get these tournaments running smoothly, LOL. I hope most of you understand that this tournament was started out of the blue at the wishes of Smashers like yourself. Though I've read the rules, I didn't completely understand them until smashers sent me emails, pms, whatever the case and I started understanding a lot more. We've had our local Melee, and now Brawl tournaments every Friday since like the Stone Age. And now I'll be more than happy to have weekly Saturday competitive tournaments with the rules that seem the fairest and that everyone can agree to as long as everyone agrees. Let me know what you guys want to do, but as of right now I'm saying 1pm, single elim, for this Saturday. Depending on people we can see if I can do double elim.

On a side note, I had a birthday party to go to next Saturday, I've already said I won't be going just for you guys, LOL. Just in case cuz you never know.

jiggly_owns_u

Smash Cadet
If its single elimination then I won't go, but if u make it double elim (which u really really should because all good tournaments r double elim/ and it really wont take ten hours prolly 6-7 if u organize everything well and have ppl play their matches quick) ill bring a friend or 2 and we can all play some smash. If not, then o well.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
The seeding could be good but that wouldn't stop say, a DDD player like me fighting an olimar first round and losing because of such a gay match up and being knocked out of the tournament... its like not even worth traveling to lolol if its single elm, sorry.
Being a dedede player I can see your angle (from both perspectives, sorry samus, mario,bowser,dk, and luigi players) but this is the part where i emphasize, pick up a second or third to handle your mains problems...seriously.

On topic: So we're being bumped into single elim simply because you have something going on later and need the time? Don't hold out on information like that, if you have obligations you have obligations just make others aware. I'm going to guarantee your going to have help, some experienced help to make sure this tourny runs as smoothly as possible.

Now what would help right now:
1. Estimation of people confirmed coming
2. Number of TVs we can use.
3. When you have to boot us out to attend to your prior engagement.
4. How your planning to create/seed brackets

From there we can give an estimation of how long this is going to take.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Being a dedede player I can see your angle (from both perspectives, sorry samus, mario,bowser,dk, and luigi players) but this is the part where i emphasize, pick up a second or third to handle your mains problems...seriously.

On topic: So we're being bumped into single elim simply because you have something going on later and need the time? Don't hold out on information like that, if you have obligations you have obligations just make others aware. I'm going to guarantee your going to have help, some experienced help to make sure this tourny runs as smoothly as possible.

keep in mind that was just an example lol. I play GnW for DDDs gay match ups

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman

On my website I created sign ups to try and figure out how many people will show up. If you check my website the number of people signed up so far for this tournament----- 0

I have 4 LCDs, 1 tube TV. And 1 little one if needed. All of them will be for smash players
I'm honestly trying to not think of my engagement and just make sure the tournament runs smoothly. My first priority is to make the tournament run smoothly. Certain people that have talked to me a bunch of said they will introduce themselves and I will be picking their brain on how to best do the brackets. I normally do random brackets for my tourneys but will see what Smashers prefer.

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
I believe only 4 or 5 (Munk, Umbra, R00ki3 and I . . . with perhaps Ryko) of our crew is coming, but if need be to leave more behind then we'll do what we must. How many can you accommodate?
My minivan seats 7 including myself. Feel free to bring up to 6 of your crew...

You guys got wiis and TVs? I can bring my wii but not a TV. Let's try to help make feasible double elim., and also the more friendlies, the better. So long as the venue has enough space to support setups beyond the 5 tvs they already have.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
saturday is so soon lol i just saw this. i wish i could get a ride i live in somerset. is that far?

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
90% chance me and 2 of my crew members will be there

edit: i just looked... why single elimination? all tournaments are double elimination, to give you a chance to make your comeback if things dont go well your first round.

it wouldnt be fair if i went up against mewtwoking or ninja link first round and got out,

some one could just get a set of very easy matches and be garanteed 2nd, while some one else could TOTALLY get screwed and end up having to play some of the best.

you already changed it to cash, please make it double elimination, single elimination is totally unfair.

also, are you making your own brackets? you should be using Tio

Pk_Starstorm11

Smash Cadet
I will most likely attend but why are wireless controllers banned? A large percentage of players use the Wireless Controller and Nunchuck combo (like me) so I don't get it you make it sound very odd on your page. So if I bring one will I be able to play, cause honestly if I can't use that I wouldn't want to play.

PenUmbra

Smash Apprentice
I will most likely attend but why are wireless controllers banned? A large percentage of players use the Wireless Controller and Nunchuck combo (like me) so I don't get it you make it sound very odd on your page. So if I bring one will I be able to play, cause honestly if I can't use that I wouldn't want to play.
Wireless controllers aren't banned usually(See Keyword: "Usually". The Tournament rules dictate whether they are or are not.), just frowned upon. (It's you're job to not care if you play best with said wireless controller.)

Why?

It's slow to connect using wiimote, and Wavebirds clash frequencies and disturb gameplay.
Furthermore, if someone hits the home button on a wiimote, the whole game stops, momentum is lost, etc. That's why you're advised to take out your batteries. The word Batteries even further reminds me that it's at your risk and to be wary if your controller loses power spontaneously. Wireless controller bring in a lot of unnecessary variables. Just be mindful and careful so that you can mitigate time loss and accidents.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
yay i got a ride. its like an hour away tho -_-

PLEASE make it double elimination. is it a singles only tourny? thats fine but like seriously 15 bucks for single elimination?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Also, we're not beefing with the casual players, it's just that pretty much all of the best Smashers around the world are on this website, and most of the best players in the region have posted on this thread, or at least read it. There are MANY of us with as much skill or more than Jigglymaster, and, as my friend Geo very adequately put it:

Now wut? XD

The $200 in my pocket dissagrees.

Anyways, Great tournament everyone!

I would post shoutouts, but i forget all the names, so I'll wait till the results get up.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
good sht jigglymaster. ima train hardcore and were gonna win doubles again

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
I was on an off day... (no johns) but i had fun regardless of the 3 hours i was there for the hour and a half drive

ill try to be there everyother month, dont want to put to many requests for Numb in our crew to drive us to tournaments.

that is if this becomes a bi-weekly thing.

Blue: ....REVENGE IS COMING! i can taste it =p

amazing sonic tho =)

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to everyone that came to the tournament, I hope that everyone that came had a good time. Congrats to Jigglymaster for a big win. And a big thanks to Munk, he helped make Gaming Worlds first competitive tournament run without a flaw.

So now at the request of some of the Smashers we are going to try it one more time, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5298081#post5298081

Edit:Results from Gaming World's 1st competitive Tourney

1st place: Dapuffster
2nd place: blue
3rd place: kai
4th place: Jimmy
5: Umbra
5: Pierce7D
7: Seph
7: R00kie
9: izumi
9: Brian C
9: Aero