• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norcal rankings thread until naners makes a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Maybe someone else from the panel should post this?

http://www.allisbrawl.com/group.aspx?id=2796&action=add

I just thought I'd show smashboards what's already been done at AiB.

This is a group for players who are or have been on the Northern California Brawl Power Rankings!

.::Norcal Power Rankings::.
1. Meep (Snake)
2. Lucien (Wolf/Fox)
3. The Germ (Wolf)
4. Nanerz (Diddykong)
5. Sean (Metaknight)
6. Zelgadis (King Dedede)
7. Dizzy (Wario/Snake)
8. TC1 (Diddykong/Mario)
9. Question Mark [ ? ] (Toon Link)
10. KOF (Zelda/Shiek)

-Honorable Mentions- in no particular order
Michael (Ice Climbers)
Sky (Peach)
Catnip (Metaknight)
Kosk (Kirby)
The King (Marth)
Next Ranking Period: Sept 13th - Nov 8th

-Norcal PR Panelists-
Nanerz
Sean
CubaIsDeath
Meep
Zoap
Close this thread if someone makes an official thread.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
It looks fairly accurate to me.

Dizzy probably lower because of low attendance (understandable for Fresno.)

KOF not the most active either, but a solid #10 because he is good.

? has more than proven himself at tournaments.

For #3-8, they're somewhat interchangeable so I don't really care.

But whatever, I'm not panel, and haven't been to tournaments... so my opinion doesn't count atm.

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
So how do we do this? Just compile a bunch of recent (within the last year?) melee tournament placings and average them out? But we only use NorCal tourneys right? Cuz I know some norcal ppl used to like go down to LA for the ucla monthlies or something-- but how would we filter out the socal players?

So yeah, an average of tournament placings for norcal tournaments-- removing socal players who came up for it

that's it, rite?

Edit: Wow, the results thread is only 2 pages long. Ur a BRoomer, Choknater, do u have access to the archive thingy? I just started reading Omnigamer's thread about the Tresults archive-- I don't quite understand it yet tho

pockyD

Smash Legend
So how do we do this? Just compile a bunch of recent (within the last year?) melee tournament placings and average them out? But we only use NorCal tourneys right? Cuz I know some norcal ppl used to like go down to LA for the ucla monthlies or something-- but how would we filter out the socal players?

So yeah, an average of tournament placings for norcal tournaments-- removing socal players who came up for it

that's it, rite?

Edit: Wow, the results thread is only 2 pages long. Ur a BRoomer, Choknater, do u have access to the archive thingy? I just started reading Omnigamer's thread about the Tresults archive-- I don't quite understand it yet tho
there's about 10 things wrong with this post

i'll go first

1) The list is clearly for brawl

Vodage

Smash Journeyman
I was assuming that since Choknater was pointing out how the power rankings have already been put together for brawl-- he was saying like-- we should put one together for melee.

But ur rite there's something else wrong with my post-- It's not as simple as averaging out tournament results, because then you'd end up with someone ranked higher simply because they were able to make it to more tournaments. It's a bit more complicated, but I'm kinda slow. Either way I think it would be cool to make a list. I guess it would be useful for people who are not from NorCal, since in NorCal I think we all already have a general Idea of where people are at relative to eachother's skill.

Naota21t

Smash Champion

that's it, rite?

1) It's Brawl.
2) It's not just NorCal tournaments. Actually large tournaments that are outta region are looked at very carefully and can definitely help you ranking-wise.
3) We filter out socal players by the fact that they're socal. lol. Doesn't matter where they play, but rather where they live. So I could go down to socal pretty often and play, but I wouldn't technically be socal
4) Results aren't only taken from the results board on this site. Actually barely any results are posted on that board at all. Usually people just put then on the thread for that tourney, or put it on AiB.

I personally think that a ranking isn't the end all, be all to determine how good people are relative to each other. Sure, it's useful and stuff, but a ranking can only have so many people. I always thought that it was more for people's egos. Not trying to be offensive or anything.

It's just that some people who may be ranked lower, are capable of beating people who are ranked higher. Like how KDJ> M2K > PC> KDJ and so on and so on.

I like having a ranking, just so we can see what the general consensus is for who people think are the best. But you can easily (and more accurately) tell how good people are by just being part of the community and showing up to tournaments. Power Rankings just give you a tid bit of the information.

As long as people don't take the whole thing too serious and see the Power Ranking as absolute fact, then I think it's great.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah vodage, it's a little more subjective than that. arbitrary point systems and mathematical rankings were always gay.

how rankings are made: get together respectable tournament directors and good players, have them discuss who's good, and then rank them in order from best to worst.

EazyP

Smash Ace
Didn't Lucien say he didn't want to be apart of the list multiple times?

Just wondering how that worked out

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace
Maybe someone else from the panel should post this?

http://www.allisbrawl.com/group.aspx?id=2796&action=add

I just thought I'd show smashboards what's already been done at AiB.

Close this thread if someone makes an official thread.
What I think of the rank...

1. Meep ( Honestly yea he is good )
2. Lucien ( He doesnt want to be on it so take him off)
3. The Germ (too good u know?)
4. Nanerz ( I dont know this person and he is recommended for 4th? lol I seriously dont know the brawl scene)
5. Sean (should be above Naners cause he beat Aero rofl then again iono who Nanerz beat so ill keep Sean at 5th.
6. Zelgadis is too good
7.Dizzy ( Fresno counts as norcal? thought it was midcal rofl anyways I guess)
8. Tc1 arent u proud to be on the rankings now =D. I am dude good job buddy keep up the work man.
9. ? ( I dont know him so he doesnt deserve to be on it rofl)
10. KOF should be higher then ? at least

honorable mentions:
I beat them all with Ike but I think the KING deserves to be on the powerlist if only he joined more tourneys...

Also dont take this post serious.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i don't think people should get to choose whether or not they appear on the rankings

also i don't 100% buy this as an "official" rankings

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Not to be hating or anything, but I don't know how Question Mark does so well in tournaments.

I've seen him play, and I've played him at my place. Honestly, I don't really think he's that good, just hella spammy w/ the bairs and stuff.

Park0o

Smash Ace
I'm happy that its short. Only 10 people is kool. And its accurate. so its all good.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I think that's a pretty accurate list, and I've played everyone on there besides Meep. Justin get *****, I know you're brawl scene in norcal better than you do ;P

Reidlos Toof

Foot Dive!
KOF is on there for Zelda/Sheik? Wow, evidently I don't play against the people that matter often enough. I'll have to change that.

Sky`

Smash Lord
Not to be hating or anything, but I don't know how Question Mark does so well in tournaments.

I've seen him play, and I've played him at my place. Honestly, I don't really think he's that good, just hella spammy w/ the bairs and stuff.
? is too good. XD. Maybe you haven't played him recently.
He's a bit aggressive yeah but..
I dunno, he gets the job done. Have you played him in a tourney match?

Miztik

Smash Master
Question Mark has been playing really well lately

i believe he got 33rd at Axis and consistently placing in the top 10 in Norcal tourneys

also Naners is really good best diddy best diddy ive seen next to jon

pockyD

Smash Legend
Official according to who?

I don't actually have any problems with the way the list turned out (though I don't really think KOF was the best candidate for #10 - aside from that it looks good), but the lack of stated criteria, the rushed panelist selection, etc. doesn't inspire tons of confidence

These things are only "official" if the community accepts them as official. I personally find it ridiculous that, among other things, there are 4 bay area panelists, while there is not a single panelist representing Sacramento, which has by far the highest number of tournaments in the Norcal area.

It just so happened that this past month, there were two huge bay area tournies. Off the top of your head though, when's the next bay area brawl tournament? December?

Individually, I don't have a problem with any of the panelists, but in the end, so many panelists from the same area will either all be presenting the same rankings (such that they are superfluous), or be presenting different rankings despite having access to the exact same events and results, which means that when a few disagree, at least one of them is unfit from the panel (because given the same knowledge and criteria, the outcome should be the same).

N4N3RZ

Smash Journeyman
PockyD - we based this list off Brawl tourneys that have happened in the last 4 months in Norcal.

I'll have an official post up tomorrow =]

Miztik

Smash Master
andre you should change the title or something to Official thread tomorrow close this one...or something idk..

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
I will close this one when there is actually a new one up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom