• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Melee Power Rankings - Summer '15 Update - In Sickness and In Filth

Volroth

Smash Journeyman
You beat me to 70, I'm too lazy to quest grind once my rested exp is gone. I'm 66 dwarf warrior on Korgath. Death and Taxes plays on my server they finished Karazhan on Monday and got the uber Gorehowl

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
dare i say it? yes.. neither maple or WoW (although i have heard that the expansion and a recent PVP patch greatly improved WoW) can stand up to the better MMOs that are past their day. i bet no one here has even played dark age of camelot :urg:

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
How the hell did you get so tall when you play games like Dark Age of Camelot? You should be hunched over at least 60 degrees by now.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
in my opinion, the more popular an MMO, the better it is. cuz then you don't have to be considered too much of a ][,0$3l2 when playing it =\

j/k j/k i play ragnarok =\

Zoap

Smash Master
I said yes god ****it and thats all that matters!

EDIT: Is Scamp really short or something?

Delphiki

Smash Champion
This Just In! Questions of the Day!
"Is King the first NorCal smasher to hit level 70 in WoW?"
"Will this new development give him the extra oomph to surpass Isai on the upcoming revision to the NCPR?"
"Will Nintendoking surpass his record total of 1 point and make his debut into the rankings, where fame, fortune and thunderdome await him?"
"Will Sac Biweeklies be more fun than SJSU Biweeklies?"

All This And More, Coming Soon!

King Out
Yes! Sac will be better than SJSU!!

A bit smaller match room but there's the rest of the house to chill in. TC1's awesome like that. Just don't **** with the dark-furred cat, it only likes me. lol

And I just saw TGII's big post and the only part I disagree with is the time. Instead of converting by time (i.e., week to a week) convert by games played. He mentioned having several matches played in each rating period. That would be around equivalent to revising the list monthly. That wouldn't be a big deal, I think it would be pretty easy to schedule one day at the end of the month for the meeting (provided there are at least two tournaments, if not you could just skip a month and take three into account next time). It would almost surely be easier than trying to find a day where everyone is free, which is hopefully right now.

However I still think that the consideration periods should be longer than just that month. If a player takes a vacation they shouldn't find themselves dropped, for example.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
People don't like my criticism. :urg:

I think it's because I brought this up once before.
ya know delphiki, i really dont think anyone does. you're a nice guy and all, but by the way you post, people would think you're an expert about the norcal smashers. maybe you feel you are, but honestly i dont think thats true at all.

im sorry if this comes off as harsh, but it just seems to me like you post here excessively. you probably havnt even played a good deal of the people actually on the list, and have no idea who is being considered to be added.

not that you're clueless or anything, but a lot of your posts just kinda rub me the wrong way. i would really appreciate if when you post your opinion, you think about it a bit. you're entitled to an opinion, but after giving a certain number, people are going to stop listening to you unless you give them a reason to.

so do yourself a favor and play a wider range of norcal players, and watch them play other matchups to get a better feel of who is good and who isnt. then maybe you'll have enough authority to express your opinion and not irritate people.

i feel better with that off my chest :dizzy:

The Game II

Smash Champion
And I just saw TGII's big post and the only part I disagree with is the time. Instead of converting by time (i.e., week to a week) convert by games played. He mentioned having several matches played in each rating period. That would be around equivalent to revising the list monthly. That wouldn't be a big deal, I think it would be pretty easy to schedule one day at the end of the month for the meeting (provided there are at least two tournaments, if not you could just skip a month and take three into account next time). It would almost surely be easier than trying to find a day where everyone is free, which is hopefully right now.

However I still think that the consideration periods should be longer than just that month. If a player takes a vacation they shouldn't find themselves dropped, for example.
Moving people up and down from week to week instead of month to month is easier because there are less tournaments to worry about; I believe I said that earlier. It's easier to judge going 4-0 in a B-level tournament against someone who went 2-2 in an A-level tournament. Going monthly, you're having to compare an 16-5 record of B-C level talent to an 2-10 record that's all NCB.

Then again, I also said that IT'S OBVIOUS the panel is not shifting to a weekly poll.

From what I gather from your opinion, you're saying that everyone should have a certain amount of matches before the panel gets together. How can that be obtained? Let's say the minimum requirement is three tournaments before the next ranking is up (that would be taking one week off every month). So what happens if, after FIVE WEEKS, four of the 25 players play only two tournaments, and someone has played six tournaments? We're waiting for those four players? And that someone will play two more tournaments. Next thing you know, we're going to be calling for "quality" tournaments, and that shouldn't happen either.

--GCII

SuperRad

Smash Master
EDIT: Rephrased completely. Didn't really mean to come off like a ****.

Delphiki, I think the problem is that you often bite off more then you can chew. Reading back a few pages, a comment on what you said earlier: Yes, there is a double standard for Isai. No, he shouldn't be dropped. I don't know if you ever met Isai, but i've been graced with being able to play a few rounds of Blokus with him a while back. Before I ever met him, I always wondered "Why doesn't he try his hardest at every tournament?". After being around him some, it kind of started to make sense. I don't really know how to phrase it in words, but there is something that made it kind of make sense to me.

I also don't like how it seems like you are constantly trying to tag along with stuff. You come of kind of.... arrogant when you talk about tio. For example, in the biweekly thread, you said that "we" (as in neal and you) needed names of doubles players. When actually the person could just PM/AIM neal and it would get done just as fast.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I see what you are all saying and all of you are right.

WBninja, you are completely right but I have admitted in this thread that I would never try to be on the panel because I don't know enough of how good these smashers are. You are completely right and I have said so myself.

TGII - The reason I said a month is because our tournaments aren't weekly. We would have two tournaments a month. If only a few players entered, only those players would be considered to move. We wouldn't move down the players who didn't play, but we might move up players who performed well, and so a player who didn't participate might have their spot taken.

Brian - I've met Isai but never really talked to him so I won't comment on something on which I have no info. As for the second part of your post, I don't see where the 'constantly' part comes from but I do know what you mean. Take it as an oversized ego from somebody who likes to be part of something important and helpful. Not much else I can say.

Overall, I realize that people don't care when I criticize, but that I let it get out of hand. The reason I do this is because if I suspect there may be a flaw in something I won't let it slide unless practicality or functionality allows it. Also, I don't make judgment on something that I don't understand. The results is that I ask a lot of questions meanwhile pointing out what I see as flaws, and usuallly asking for clarification.

All in all, mistakes are to be pointed out, explained and corrected where possible. This also goes for myself, which is why I welcome the opportunity to be told what you guys have said.

edit: And yes I realize how arrogant I come off, but I find it often the best way to thoroughly explain my point. I don't do it for any stupid reason or image. If I had a better way to do things I would do it, and that goes for all things.

The Game II

Smash Champion
TGII - The reason I said a month is because our tournaments aren't weekly. We would have two tournaments a month.
It may seem that way, but last I checked, there's been a tournament relevant to NorCal players every saturday for six of the last 7 weeks, with a couple Sunday tournaments sprinkled in. The perception is that everyone can't make every tournament so we come to the conclusion that there isn't a tournament every week (which is the message I believe you're really trying to say).

--GCII

Zoap

Smash Master
you ask to many questions. You know what happens to ppl who ask questions. They end up Disappearing without a trace.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
the game 2, you're starting to fall down the path that delphiki was just ranted to about.

your suggestions imply that you have absolutly no idea how these rankings work, and you would switch them to the style of an organized sporting event, which is so completly and radically different than smash.

please drop your suggestions for revision, i can almost guarentee you that no one on the panel is taking anything you say seriously, and your posts seem to be notoriously long to say absolutly nothing useful to nobody in particular.

once again, i apologize if im being too harsh or whatever, but it just irritates me to see people who are not knowledgable in a subject act as if they are an authority for it.

please, just stop.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
I can guarantee that anyone who forwards what seems to them a rational proposal will gladly accept that they are wrong if someone takes the time to explain why. I know this is the case for myself and I am fairly certain that TGII would expect the same respect, and simply stating that he is saying 'absolutly nothing useful to nobody in particular' is simply rude and demeaning, and what's worse is it provides no information about why the two are incomparable.

All I ask is that if you claim somebody is misinformed or speaking of something on which they have no expertise, that you tell them why they are wrong, not simply that they are.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
the game 2, you're starting to fall down the path that delphiki was just ranted to about.

your suggestions imply that you have absolutly no idea how these rankings work, and you would switch them to the style of an organized sporting event, which is so completly and radically different than smash.

please drop your suggestions for revision, i can almost guarentee you that no one on the panel is taking anything you say seriously, and your posts seem to be notoriously long to say absolutly nothing useful to nobody in particular.

once again, i apologize if im being too harsh or whatever, but it just irritates me to see people who are not knowledgable in a subject act as if they are an authority for it.
I agree with the last paragraph here, but in reference to you, and not to Glenn aka The Game II. You don't know who he is clearly. He's been around the Smash community for as long as I have (Late 2004), and he's written a book about it.

For the record, I think I'm opposed in general to GCII's rankings style, maybe I'll post about it later.

Also I'm probably going to just main like, mostly GW and Luigi from now on because I feel like it. So don't john for me if I go down the rankings for the list after this next one.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Your GaW is pretty good, but I'm sure I haven't seen what it can really do.

lol I remember in friendlies Pichu+Gaw vs ender+Scamp's Ganons.

Glenn you might want to check out your second link (MB Thunder) the site gave me an error message and a search came up with nothing.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
Hyuga is moving down at least 8 spots on the NCPR.

Why may you ask? Because we are setting an example for everybody. If you switch to GW you will automatically move down a minimum of 8 spots due to the sudden loss of placing ability.

LOL I'm jk Sheridan.

Zoap

Smash Master
unless ur snap, hes an eddiebeater LOLOL, I love how Whores isnt censored, your all still whores LOLOL Class sux so bad HELP ME!!

The Game II

Smash Champion
whiteboyninja: I'll let the community speak in terms of my experience with the community.

I know FOR A FACT that what I say will be disregarded by the panel. I talked to btzo about this BEFORE I posted, and he disagreed with most of what I said.

Usually, I'll avoid this type of discussion. So why did I post it anyway? Because for someone WHO GETS PAID TO DO RANKINGS AND HAS 18,000 PEOPLE E-MAIL AND CALL TO ***** AND MOAN AT ME, I wanted to give an opinion just to show a different side of things.

Of course melee pales in comparison to actual "ball sports," still, there is the correlation if you look. Because it's easy to say, "oh melee isn't actual sports, so it's apples and oranges." No, it's green apples and red apples (and I like green, tastes better)

Again, I know the panel won't change. In the nanochance there is a possibility of change, here are some ideas to consider.

I'll just say this, be glad there are six people doing this panel. In the In the Groove rankings, only one person does it for NorCal, and it's very skewed.

And by the way, if the panel will never listen to us, why doesn't this topic get locked and opened only to show the new list?

--GCII (who is 0fer against big pimpin sheridan's gee dub)

delphiki: fixed sig link

ShadowBTZO

Smash Lord
whiteboyninja: I'll let the community speak in terms of my experience with the community.

I know FOR A FACT that what I say will be disregarded by the panel. I talked to btzo about this BEFORE I posted, and he disagreed with most of what I said.

Usually, I'll avoid this type of discussion. So why did I post it anyway? Because for someone WHO GETS PAID TO DO RANKINGS AND HAS 18,000 PEOPLE E-MAIL AND CALL TO ***** AND MOAN AT ME, I wanted to give an opinion just to show a different side of things.

Of course melee pales in comparison to actual "ball sports," still, there is the correlation if you look. Because it's easy to say, "oh melee isn't actual sports, so it's apples and oranges." No, it's green apples and red apples (and I like green, tastes better)

Again, I know the panel won't change. In the nanochance there is a possibility of change, here are some ideas to consider.

I'll just say this, be glad there are six people doing this panel. In the In the Groove rankings, only one person does it for NorCal, and it's very skewed.

And by the way, if the panel will never listen to us, why doesn't this topic get locked and opened only to show the new list?

--GCII (who is 0fer against big pimpin sheridan's gee dub)

delphiki: fixed sig link
Yeah, true dat haha. I have listened to what you have said Glenn, and yeah I do disagree with some points, but it's your opinion which is good to know and to take into consideration.

Also The Game II knows what he is talking about, he may not be a competitor or know all the technical sh*t for smash and everything, but he's been around the community more than long enough to have a legitimate opinion. Please do not judge people you do not know.

Opinions also should not be looked down on or ignored by anyone, they are just suggestions or ways people feel it should be done. I've yet to see anyone really criticize the way we do things, only give their opinions on what they feel should be done, which is good actually, I enjoy to have other opinions because it helps me think over my own and possibly reconsider in some situations.

Art?

Smash Journeyman
lol @ whiteboynick...

you're very wrong to be speaking to TGII the way you are; he's OG triple OG.

whiteboyninja

Smash Ace
ok my bad. i honestly to god did not realize thegame2 was a veteran around here. i dont believe i've ever met him, smashed with him, or really heard anything about him.

i made a bit of a blind assumption that he was a smash onlooker, and i apologize for that.

in my defence, i feel that the reasoning your sports style rapid change of the bracket wont work well with this system for several reasons.
1) not everyone in norcal lives close together. Salinas, which has a pannelist, is SEVERAL hours drive away from simna, who was a pannelist recently. this means they will not consistantly play together.
2) being that smash tournaments are not an organized sport in the way that the rankings you set up are, and not everybody plays consistantly. Going back to the simna, he does not play with the majority of rankers consistantly. when he does, he generally places very well and will likely remain on the rankings so loing as he does.
3) smash tends to have a bit of a more hefty "biorythem" than other sports. i understand that people have bad days and good days, but take the new year's first tournament as an example. Luninspectra lost to both hella and BTZO in tournament matches. both hella and btzo are fantastic smashers far beyond my level, but lunin is absolutly amazing and still yet far beyond btzo and hella. just because one day lunin was performing poorly does not mean that he should drop to high teens maybe even low 20's in the ranking from just one tournament. INVERSELY, he did absolutly fantastic and played his A game at the most recent tournament, placing first. one first does not exactly give him the weight he needs to surpass king and silentspectre, even if he has beat silentspectre repetedly. SS has shown his true value in playing against out of staters, something that lunin can not claim.

once again i apologize for comming on too harshly, and i have now stated the reasoning why. of course you are entitled to your opinion, and i am sorry if i became annoyed when delphiki, a decent smasher that i am aquainted with who does not have a wide range of experience, and TG2, someone whom i have not even really heard of, went back and forward like that.

i will refrain from further personal bashing, but ask that people keep the disgussion to how the people are ranked, and not to try to change the system that almost everyone feels is working well.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
Ok im finally gonna post something constructive.

The Norcal Power Rankings have one very big fatal flaw; None of the panelist were voted upon.

If this list is a collection of opinions, then the people that make up the list must have the respect and go-ahead from the people in which they judge to so make said list.

OPINIONS THAT JOINTLY FORM A GENERAL AND RELATIVELY UNIVERSAL HELD BELIEF AMONG SMASHERS.

OPINIONS!!!

Had panelist been voted on from varying areas of norcal this discussion would be over. Because then everyone would have a representative of whom should be well recognized and firmly statured as someone of importance within the smash community, thus allowing for BIAS AND UNBIAS ALIKE ''OPINIONS'' that act as the backbone for the NCPR Model.

Tournaments as have been stated are a platforms to which panelists can judge ability and talent under the vestige of winning but not soley based on winning alone. OPINIONS.

Or if you dont like this list, take my advice and go make your own go**** list.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Says the man who's only claim to my "Genius of Teams" title is that he challenged it first.

But I don't know what you're trying to say about the panel. No one is complaining about people's spots on the list yet, that'll happen next week. Besides, we had Ender on the panel to help represent Sac and he gave the reigns to Simna, who produced arguably the most absurd list we've seen.

And certain unnamed panelists will represent Sac. No worries.

This next list is probably going to prove to be the most varied of all. I hope people take into account the rule of two, which means that a person's spot has a margin of error of two. If you think someone's spot is slightly off, give us (the panel) a break. But if someone's spot is WAY off, then give us hell.

As for sports, I don't see it as red/green apples/oranges. More like popular apples vs. unpopular apples. Sports have set schedules and most of all money. If someone paid me to do these rankings I would churn them out as often as asked.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
I didnt vote for simna or ender. You see what i mean? It has nothing to do with APPOINTED representation but everything to do with ELECTED representation.
Cmon people democracy isnt just a concept for what social and political order should be in government. It works for the smash community too.

Top Bottom