• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Melee Power Rankings - Summer '15 Update - In Sickness and In Filth

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
sheridalisk, have you read don't sleep, there are snakes? what did you think of it? no spoilers plz but a comprehensive overview is cool with me

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Yes I have, I thought it was insanely fascinating. My main interest in it is how it relates to the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, which is basically the idea that language affects how you are able to conceptualize and abstract the world around you. From reading the book I learned that it's a very complicated question because culture, language, and worldviews are all inter-related and not easily separable. The book has a lot to say about human nature and different cultures as well. The tribe (the Piraha) are one of the most primitive ever encountered and yet they seem to be very happy with their lives.

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
Yes I have, I thought it was insanely fascinating. My main interest in it is how it relates to the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, which is basically the idea that language affects how you are able to conceptualize and abstract the world around you. From reading the book I learned that it's a very complicated question because culture, language, and worldviews are all inter-related and not easily separable. The book has a lot to say about human nature and different cultures as well. The tribe (the Piraha) are one of the most primitive ever encountered and yet they seem to be very happy with their lives.
OMG I have to read this book, I think the Sapir-Whorf Theses is super interesting. So the title of the book is "Dont Sleep There Are Snakes"?

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
Yes. It's what the Piraha say to each other as a sort of "good-night," though they typically don't sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time, and the whole village talks to each other during the night.

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
I updated as much as I could

We're missing results for the following:

ITT6 (8/27/11)
Road to Apex: Tourney Play (9/24/11)
Ownapalooza (10/8/11)
Rom 4 (11/23/11) <-- Mainly for Darrell

When is everyone free?

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Everyone from Norcal who went to tournyplay left before singles bracket started, safe to say we can exclude that one.

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
think you're mixing up tourneyplay and wintergame fest?

from what i remember at tourneyplay:

dajuan lost to eddy mexico at least once and beat him once. lost to johnny

zac lost to johnny

dajuan might have beaten zac. think they played in losers but not sure

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Insight into our minds:

So our first hot topic was whether to make exceptions for a few players (brandon, jeff, pewpewu, and scar) in terms of activity and also whether one of them would take the 3rd spot.

We concluded that after last weekends tourny, both Brandon and Scar showed renewed resolve, and were therefore eligible. We gave Brandon the 3rd spot and then moved onto the next wave.

The main point of contention was who went where in 6-8 and why. 8-11 we're then knocked out of the way, and we came down to a final 5. We decided to cut the 5th and go with just a 15 man PR.

One of the major problems was where to place who, and in the quest to find out who beat who, I did some snooping and stumbled onto ITT 6. Here we learned that both Boback and Alvin beat Lord, giving them solid arguments for their placing, but we also found out that Jeff attended this tourny AND got 2nd (causing him to meet the active requirement and putting him in the running for top 3). This led to the current list you see being voted on.

We hope to conduct the PR sometime in March, preferably after 4 tournaments have past, to give us a more accurate list.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i dont care if sac was not a pr worthy tournament, it was a tournament and i went lol.

i dont care abt the ranking, i know where i stand anyway :p

Scar

#HarveyDent
nice

dajuan, zac, the falcons are coming for you

me and jeff for top 2 spots before 2012 comes to a close

Scar

#HarveyDent
choknater almost beat me at a tournament

i had almost forgotten but then he posted about it every 2 weeks for 6 months LOOOOOOOOOL so yeah that should count for something

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
it honestly sounds like you care more than anyone else
no it doesnt! stop trolling :)

choknater almost beat me at a tournament

i had almost forgotten but then he posted about it every 2 weeks for 6 months LOOOOOOOOOL so yeah that should count for something
oh ya i forgot about that

dang man i almost beat scar ahhhh im sooooo goood. i should post abt it more

but i'll win next time anyway

Scar

#HarveyDent
miles u shoulda seen my set w/ scar
ugHHHHhhh i almost beat scar soooo close
man, i kinda felt proud of myself for nearly beating scar last tourny
worked fine for me vs ss and scar.
nope, only memories of taking matches off scar and jeff!
u guys shoulda seen my set with scar
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL this guy

Scar

#HarveyDent
dajuan let's MM i want that marth/sheik/doc @ the deep, i can do $10 each Bo5 (or i'm down to try the new ruleset and do 2 stock Bo7 if we record)

sidefx

Smash Champion
Andre, you can win as many tournaments as you want but the fact is you win and beat people who aren't ranked. That's just as good as beating marthmaster99 anywhere else. We're not saying DP or meep are bad or anything it's just that we have nothing to go off of. And we're not about to use some subjective *** reasons to put you on the list somewhere. Sure you should be on the list but until you beat people on that list consistently, you won't be on it.

And don't act like you don't care cause we all know you do. Or else you wouldn't have driven to sac to win a tournament. Bring your **** to something in the bay seeing how you live in sf and all

:phone:

Shroomed

Smash Master
We should all get better as a region, ****.

I was serious about my sheik/marth though.

And I'm down bobby!

EDIT: Either rule set but for the record I think the new one is stupid only because a ton of legal stages on that ruleset are ********.

Scar

#HarveyDent
i hate the proposed legal stages, i'd rather do BF only or neutrals only with DSR and 1 ban (****ing FD vs doc)

or to try the starcraft stage rules, we can do Bo7 on the 7 "neutral" stages
BF, FoD, FD, YS, DL64, PS, KJ64

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
i hate the proposed legal stages, i'd rather do BF only or neutrals only with DSR and 1 ban (****ing FD vs doc)

or to try the starcraft stage rules, we can do Bo7 on the 7 "neutral" stages
BF, FoD, FD, YS, DL64, PS, KJ64
while randomly lurking different threads i came across this post.

i'd just like to say that the bo7 on 7 "neutrals" sounds so awesome and godlike and gdamn scar good stuff for thinking of that if you did.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
boback i didnt go to sac to get ranked LOL

if i cared about the rankings i clearly would have gone to campbell. i know the competition is better there dudes

i specifically stated i went to sac to see roni, my friends at ucd, and to win some cash.

and dajuan yea i would say thats a pretty accurate placing if i was to be ranked

PokemonMasterIRL

Smash Master
dajuan let's MM i want that marth/sheik/doc @ the deep, i can do $10 each Bo5 (or i'm down to try the new ruleset and do 2 stock Bo7 if we record)
Ill be there and I am down to record each set, for 2 reasons... 1) FOR THE FANS and 2) For you to analyze later bobby.

i dont care if sac was not a pr worthy tournament, it was a tournament and i went lol....stuff.....blah vlah.....vvvvvlah.....
Yo Chok.

quit

****ing

around

at

the

grand

line,

its time for the new world son!
(START COMING TO ****ING TOURNEYS)

Top Bottom