• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NorCal Melee Power Rankings - Summer '15 Update - In Sickness and In Filth

Zoap

Smash Master
**** look at pocky giving the business at work. hey pocky I've been running into alot of common threats in UU right now whats your thought on these three groups of problematic pokes:

First group: The Stall walls

Steelix
Registeel

They share a Fighting/Fire/Ground Weakness but the trouble is no Fighting/Fire/Ground pokemon can keep them in(Barring Dugtrio who even with a Band fails to OHKO either), Also any attempt is usually thwarted by a Mag or a Cress to wall said Fighters/Ground. Or they switch into Milotic to wall any Fires. I was thinking of an Overheat Magmotar or Houndoom or Trapper Magneton but with Steelix having Roar and with right EV investment Overheat failing to OHKO it only does so much. Opinions?

Stat Uppers:
Cresselia
Spiritomb
Umbreon

If I lose my designated Taunter then these 3 can cause major issues. Mostly because while there stat uppers they all have solid forms of recovery and status to go with it. Two out of the 3 share a Bug weakness but Bug sucks in UU so I'm at a loss. Opinions?

The annoying ****S:
Venusaur
Milotic

These ****s are just annoying, they both support each other and while only one carries sleep powder, the other can haze, toxic, recover, rest and its gains the 50% bonus for this, sleep talk along with other **** that is ****ing annoying. I ran Special Arcanine with Toxic for a while but after watching my toxic dissapear and my HP Grass do max 35% to Sleeping Milotic I'm at a loss. Opinions?

I have a feeling that if I run a Taunt Mamotar most of these things will be solved. He can Overheat the Steels/Venusaur. Taunt the Stat uppers(though he cant beat cress or umbreon after unless I run Cross Chop for Umbreon and the Cress is Def rather than SpD). And Milotic will never be OHKO'd by Tbolt but similarly I can live a Surf from both the Bulky Water and Rest Talk set(assuming SR is not in play).

So should I run Magmortar? Or is there better options.

Obviously this is just 1 man on the team and I'd have to build a good support for him.

Zoap

Smash Master
They may lose to weezing but I dont think either will stay in on him, but this could potentially allow me to cripple something else. The issue seems to be as soon as Steelix runs, he runs to his rest talk friend milotic. Milotic doesn't mind a Burn and can sit there and Rest/Talk, and even with max HP/SpD I take between 35-40% from Surf. If I had Pain Split this could be a long exhausting bout. I'll give one of my Weezing sets a try though.

pockyD

Smash Legend
magmortar hits really hard but has **** defenses... too ****ty to taunt effectively imo, not to mention the SR weakness

i don't know the UU game enough to recommend much anywhere else, but I have noticed that registeel/steelix don't really do anything, even if you can't kill them

stat uppers are beat the same way as anywhere else, by phazing or tricking (or even a haze milotic of your own); cresselia is borderline broken for UU imo, but umbreon/spiritomb aren't threats until they get a few boosts and they're relatively easy to address prior to that... and what about encore clefable?

i hate venusaur and all sleep users with a heated passion, but he's certainly a good answer to milotic

but against both of those i typically just eat the sleep then bring in specs porygon-z, as he outspeeds 2hkos them and can scare them with trick too

quagsire actually seems to be a decent answer to a lot of these; he's got water absorb, good typing, encore, yawn, and all sorts of annoying ****

Zoap

Smash Master
I may try trick porygon z, since he can shut down both steel and regi along with all three stat uppers. I wonder if Ice beam and Tbolt with Tri attack would be good or if Tri provides enough oomph.

Time for class so I won't be responding anymore. Also the reason I may not be thinking so clear right now is I didn't sleep so maybe when I do sleep things will become clear.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I may try trick porygon z, since he can shut down both steel and regi along with all three stat uppers. I wonder if Ice beam and Tbolt with Tri attack would be good or if Tri provides enough oomph.

Time for class so I won't be responding anymore. Also the reason I may not be thinking so clear right now is I didn't sleep so maybe when I do sleep things will become clear.
you definitely want dark pulse (or maybe shadow ball, though i prefer the flinch chance) to deal with ghosts

i've found that ice beam doesn't do **** since a SE ice beam barely hits harder than tri attack, and you rarely see 4x weaks in UU (altaria and like gligar or something?)

tbolt has the benefit of hitting steel neutral, although you'd still be semi-walled by steelix (specs tri attack still hits it really hard and it doesn't have great recovery iirc)... but if you're looking for steel coverage, you'd obviously go for something better than neutral. i've never actually seen a mantine personally so i don't know whether that's a factor

why doesn't he get flamethrower/fire blast :(

i've been using HP Fighting/Ground (I forgot which one again, lol) but I only pretty much use it when they're at their last dude

the main point is that tri attack hits so **** hard already that your other moves need to go towards things that resist it, not to try and get neutral coverage (especially on a choice set)

pockyD

Smash Legend
we made part of a ranking, but it was never finished, and a tournament has happened in the meantime

edit: also i'm pretty sure i'm going to both florida and apex, but if i had to choose one (and i didn't have family/friends in NJ) i'd have chosen florida O_o

if people are going to apex though let's definitely work out some extra NYC time

MacD

Banned via Administration
if people are going to apex though let's definitely work out some extra NYC time
you stole my idea, i am for sure staying a few days or going out eariler or something

though i'm wondering how to work out transportation and stuff, especially if there are a lot of us from all over that want to visit new york

pockyD

Smash Legend
ok my bad, since it was your idea first i won't do it then!

transportation should be largely a non-issue; NYC has pretty much the best public transit system on the continent

njtransit runs straight into NYC penn station, and there are tons of buses in nj that'll get you there or grand central too

and honestly it's rather fun to just walk around

when it's not dark and you're fearful of getting *****

MacD

haha that's pretty cool then

well i really wanna do that and i kinda wanna see a broadway show if there is something good playing, though idk how many people i could interest in that

pockyD

Smash Legend
haha that's pretty cool then

well i really wanna do that and i kinda wanna see a broadway show if there is something good playing, though idk how many people i could interest in that
i'd be game if it's something i haven't seen yet

even if it's megagay like phantom

i do refuse the lion king though

MacD

i'd be game if it's something i haven't seen yet

even if it's megagay like phantom

i do refuse the lion king though
lol that's good to know, just be glad legally blonde isn't there anymore

hmmm from what i see now i'm not super sure what i'd want to see, except maybe mary poppins, good thing there is like 6 months till apex for some shows to come and go

and apparently there is an off broadway show called naked boys singing, lol who knew

ps i dont' want to see that

Scar

#HarveyDent
ok i'll humor you

1: Silent Spectre
2: HomeMadeWaffles
3: Shroomed
4: Darrell
5: Scar
6: SFAT
7: Joe
8: TANG
9: Zelgadis
10: Lunin
11: Phil
12: Mr. Ganondorf
13: Sheridan
14: Hydro Kirby
15: Isai
i wasn't here for half the tournies in the ranking period

tbh i'd rather be skipped for this ranking period and be evaluated fairly rather than have 80% of the emphasis on r3 where i got ***** by larry twice and that IC player who runs train on falcon

i'm no jeff tho that much has become clear

jeff too good

pockyD

Smash Legend

tbh i'd rather be skipped for this ranking period and be evaluated fairly rather than have 80% of the emphasis on r3 where i got ***** by larry twice and that IC player who runs train on falcon

jeff too good
wow i expected much much better from you

you disappoint me :(

FALCOMIST

Smash Ace

jeff too good
Ur being too modest Scar =/.

Scar > Falcomist for sure =D.

Also I'm glad PockyD took me off the ranking for "inactivity" =D. Now I can **** around in singles xD.

Top Bottom