• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noobs: The kind that think they're the best!

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
How old are these kids? Seven? Eight? If that's the case then give them a break. They probably don't understand half the things they're saying now. Give them some time to mature.

The only thing this wall of text told me is that you're just another prime example of Smash elitism.

In fact, I'd say the fact that they're playing matches with items set to high on stages like PictoChat show that they enjoy Smash way better than you do.
So true, so true it hurts.

When I played melee, I played like the pros. AKA no items, almost always Final D, stock matches, no huge stages or walk-off stages etc. Playing Brawl, I have almost completely given that up, with the exception of the stock matches, I still do those. I love to fight on the fun but tourney banned stages, like Frigate Orpheon and Pirate Ship. I always make sure to have smash balls turned on. I will often use other items, too. And in doing this, I find that if you really want to have fun, playing as I do is the way to go. It is the way to get in touch with your inner smasher.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Its amazing how skill at smash brothers often varies inversely with how good you think you are at it.
I totally agree. Before I learned advanced techs, I had never met someone who could beat me consistently (I hadn't really played anyone good). I thought I was a really good player. Then I learned advanced techs and got schooled at tournies and was humbled, although I was many times better than I had been before.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
To those who are saying that you can't really have fun in smash without items, going by tourney standards, you guys really need to shut the **** up. There are various ways to have fun, and for a good number of people, having fact of randomosity (I like my words, hush) is not a fun factor. Making things even for all players is fun. Hell, I can have fun with just about any ruleset, but once people start ganging up on me, then I'm no longer having fun because of 1, taking away their fun from normality, 2, I can't have fun because I have to step up my game, and 3, there just isn't any good feeling all around. I personally have fun fighting someone who uses Sonic when smash balls are on just as much as fighting Sonic normally (Zelda main, BTW).

Fun is what that person makes of it. There isn't a defined ruleset at all.

I love to fight on the fun but tourney banned stages, like Frigate Orpheon and Pirate Ship.
Whoever has those stages banned, tell them they need to rethink their ruleset. Frigate I can understand, but Pirate Ship should be a counterpick XD Both of those two, though, should be counterpickable. The only reason they are probably banned right now is because so-and-so hate such-and-such a stage which obviously isn't neutral, so it's banned to appease an audience.

metroid1117

Smash Master
@ the people who think he is being elitist (I didn't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this was already addressed)

How is he being elitist? This is a rant on people who don't know the competitive aspect of the game think they are good. This is a rant on people who believe that luck should be factored into skill. Elitism (my own interpretation, at least) is when you feel that your way is superior than another's way. He's not trashing the casual way of playing - rather, he's trashing the players themselves.

@OP: Thankfully, everyone I play with agrees to the "no item" rule, probably because I'm the one that brings Smash everytime XD.

Wolfang

Smash Journeyman
Wow, it never gets old. If your playing for fun, your playing for fun, but if you wanna see who's best, 1 on 1 (hey that rhymed). Yea if you say your strategy is items, then you dont have a strategy; you have something called hope. You hope something miraculous will happen in your favor. But honestly, get new friends, or get better at getting items. Maybe if you kick them up and down the block they will get tired of losing and either leave or try to see who's best. Knock some sense into them, or just have fun and listen to an iPod while you play.

I said "or" alot, didn't I?

Astinos

Smash Cadet
Apparently items take skill to use, and there is a truth to that, but it is purely a luck based game when items are on. One person playing could be stood at one side of the level and get something like a hammer, whilst another could get a smoke ball, poke balls get used and someone gets a goldeen, whilst the other gets latios/latias.

Point is that playing without items eliminates that factor of luck, and only the players skill can win them a match. Ultimately items create more running, camping and general gayness, which dulls down the game. I'd prefer 0 - deathing someone rather than camping with a ray gun or running from a hammer.

Projectiles such as mr.freezies or bobombs (maybe not bobombs...) are the only interesting form of item that I would consider playing with, as at least you can counter by catching/sheilding/dodging.

Top Bottom