• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Non-Spammer Pit, is it viable?

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I like the way Pits melee attacks work and I'm not a fan of arrow and angel ring spamming. Is it viable to make a Pit that doesn't overuse these specials?

Can Pit go toe to toe with other characters?

kupo15

Smash Hero
I would say yes. If you want that type of playing style than I think getting good at wingdashing is important. I prefer that style over the arrow and AR spam but I use those moves to set up combos and to continue them. I love AR and arrows and they are important to my game

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
it is possible to use AR and arrows without spamming them. it is possible to do without, but why would you miss out on arrows? there erfect for dirupting your opponent and when you learn to loop well, jsut look at UndrDog's vids. AR is also gaining uses other then jsut spamming... so the thing you have to keep in mind is that you can still use arrows and AR without spamming and jsut because you use a move twice in a row does not make it spam

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
If using them wins the match, what's wrong? I'll say I've use those moves less and less as I've improved, but they are still an important part of my arsenal.

kown

Smash Lord
u hvae to spam arrows(certain situations) to be good with pit. lol dk on FD. just shoot arrows at him the entire match AR and F smash. We pit players tend to make things way harder than they are. Now if i were palying a marth on FD it would be completely different and id have to be more aggressive than marth. ( a good marth closes the gap extremely fast making it impossible to shot more than one arrow). In this case you have to be spam another move (fair) besides arrows and AR. No matter what all of our styles spam something whether you want to admit it or not. So no you cant win without spamming right. Also, I really think it matters on who your opponent is to decide what moves to spam.

winning is winning no matter how you do it.
If you dont want to spam lol than you really dont want to win.

Monjula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdrianMonjula
3DS FC
5215-1057-8129
Wow. >.> I lol at this.

"If you don't want to spam lol than you really dont want to win."

I've beat many people many times with Pit, using arrows maybe 3 times per life, and AR only at low damage percentages. Pit is a quick character, but a few things you have to learn about when you are fighting head to head with some people...Make that most characters, is that you're not going to win points for rushing them head on. If you're not going to arrow spam, get ready for a lot of dancing.A few good dodges will get you not only respect when you win, but some good openings when you get behind people. ;p

kown

Smash Lord
Wow. >.> I lol at this.

"If you don't want to spam lol than you really dont want to win."

I've beat many people many times with Pit, using arrows maybe 3 times per life, and AR only at low damage percentages. Pit is a quick character, but a few things you have to learn about when you are fighting head to head with some people...Make that most characters, is that you're not going to win points for rushing them head on. If you're not going to arrow spam, get ready for a lot of dancing.A few good dodges will get you not only respect when you win, but some good openings when you get behind people. ;p

your talking of respect, heres a situation: last match in the final round you vs dk on FD.
yea lets charge him and not spam arrows so we earn respect. good point....
I think winning a tournament earns more respect than anything.
dodging gives u respect? i hate ppl who roll the whole game. It reminds me of a c sticking wolf that rolls and smashes.
thats good that you only had to use three arrows against someone but note that i said some chars you cant spam arrows.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
It's entirely possible to have a melee-based Pit when closed in, but it's somewhat stupid to not take advantage of the Angel Ring and Arrows when farther away, allowing you to just tack on extra damage from a safe distance. I kind of see it like Falco in Melee with his blaster, using them from a distance to set up attacks and keep the enemy at bay, then swooping in once they close in to combo and finish them off.

Remember, Pit himself is very fast and light, which allows him to dish out tons of damage and kill efficiently at high percents, using his arrows from afar to tack on extra damage whenever he can't reach the opponent safely. That's how I think of him and use him when I do use him.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'm not a spammy Pit by nature. I typically focus on the Melee attacks and Powershielding. Because in the end Pit doesn't need his arrows to be a tournament caliber character. Lately though, in order to at least attempt to perfect my Pit I've picked up arrow spamming as a primary method of play. By doing this I hope to one day soon incorporate the best of both worlds into my style.

Anyway Powershielding with Pit = Win. Once you land a Powershield on ANY attack of your opponent, they are usually open for you to do whatever you want to them.

And also... Pit IS NOT A LIGHT CHARACTER! Sigh, he's medium weight. People quick saying these things. >_<

Anyway, do what you feel meets your style best. There is nothing wrong with Spamming anything. People who say otherwise just suck at this game or has a view not consistent with winning.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
exactly as Undr said if you are too poor at playing to be able to get take care of spammers then you should go practice alot cause you suck haha

whining about spam is the plight of the noob haha

plight theres a good AP word haha

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
I spam arrows but not AR. To me, AR is very situational (when your opponent is not expecting it and they're really close to you they might try to DI the wrong way, for instance) but it's easy to get out of if you have your wits about you.

Now arrows... is it possible to play a good pit without arrows? Possibly. Without spamming them? Definitely. I always make my opponents approach and then chase them off with either AAA (at higher percents), forwardA (lower percents), or FSmash (when they're close to dying). Marth is an example of a character who still gets inside, and I know I probably can't do this against most marths, but against the marths I play I can always out-grab them.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I suppose you can. But in my opinion if you don't take advantage of everything your character can do, or at least consider them in-game then you're not a good gamer.

As for the AR, if you can run someone off a platform with it you can cancel it just as you hit the ground. Or you can just keep going with it. Both rack up good damage and can't be DIed out of properly while during the fall animation.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
I think in casual playing and maybe a bit in friendlies, there can be some abuse/spam that is considered bad mannered play. In true tournament settings and really competitive play, everything goes. If anyone thinks arrows is cheap, then ask if chain grabbing should be considered bad mannered too. Arrows require pretty precise control to be very effective.

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Spam arrows when the other player is on the other side of the map. Even when he/shes dodge the attack, there is an chance to lock them with the arrows in the air to punish them with 1-2 more arrows so that they cannot dodge them. In close combat the arrows are an two-sided sword but this really depends on the abilities of the other player. Even playing with backholded arrows and different timed ones can be fun because most players tend to use powershielding. After two-four hits I usually broke their habit and they switch to the classic shielding. And they are competitive players.

I can't say anything to Angel Ring. Every player must find his/her own way to use it well.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I have been using Pit's melee attacks pretty much, but not without using Arrow looping sometimes. It's to add mindgames to my strategy, which may catch someone offguard.
Actually all of his Specials are important to me, but i rarely use Angel Ring since im usually open for a counter.
I'm quite obssessed with arrow looping still, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
Arrows are great combo devices. I will use one for each heavy knockback attack I hit with, and I will also use them to break up approaches. This isn't a rule of mine, but I often combo the up-throw with arrows at high percents and use arrows when my foe is off the level to mess with them.

Top Bottom