• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nomenclature

Veril

Frame Savant
These will need names as I am going to be talking about them... a lot:

ledge grab canceled hitstun: you will grab the ledge as though suffering vbrawl hitstun. Hitstun and the time in which you cannot ledgegrab are not equal in B+.

lightstepping variants: I've seriously had to use at least 5 different terms cause of how complex this is. The most notable is probably the difference between lightstepping on the FD and Japes weird ledges, vs. slopes under stages (Orpheon has both I believe). Same effect, different requirements (autolightstepping only works on the strange ledges... those need a name also).

-Lightstepping does allow for several stalling techniques... and amazingly snazzy tricks. While nearly impossible for some characters and variants, some lightstepps are very easy to pull off with a little practice.

The Hitstun boost mechanism: might be related to the mechanism for determining static collisions. Increases in frequency with kb increases, doesn't require any actual launch to occur.

-This is... yeah... like 5 pages worth of text. A lot of you have heard my rants about this.

(Static and dynamic) collision determinants: character specific. The % point at which a given set of damage and kb will force a tech on a standing grounded character character. For static collisions this is based on no launch angles, and it does vary by character.

-really important

God DI, teching on reflex: a silly term I used long ago when I was... newer. Since then I've called it knockback inversion. Does that work? Teching on reflex is well... needs some clarification cause the times you can do this are measurable and yeah... its important.

Combo vulnerability
: you all should know what I mean by this by now, but its such a complex metric, I want to see if anyone has a better name.

Move followups and comboing: this could use some cleaning up.
-traps (starter move descriptor): regardless of DI there will be a followup, but this followup will change based on DI. A somewhat escapable combo.
-inescapable vs. completely escapable with DI.
-hybrid: an option trap with at least one inescapable followup. Many d-throws are hybrid starters.
- 0D: escapable death combo
- 0Di: inescapable death combo
- KO setup: a move sequence that includes an inescapable combo into a killing move (KNEE!).

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
These will need names as I am going to be talking about them... a lot:

ledge grab canceled hitstun: you will grab the ledge as though suffering vbrawl hitstun. Hitstun and the time in which you cannot ledgegrab are not equal in B+.
So the hitstun code isn't doing its job, basically, and is yet another ledge mechanic that needs to be fixed.

lightstepping variants: I've seriously had to use at least 5 different terms cause of how complex this is. The most notable is probably the difference between lightstepping on the FD and Japes weird ledges, vs. slopes under stages (Orpheon has both I believe). Same effect, different requirements (autolightstepping only works on the strange ledges... those need a name also).

-Lightstepping does allow for several stalling techniques... and amazingly snazzy tricks. While nearly impossible for some characters and variants, some lightstepps are very easy to pull off with a little practice.
You still didn't really explain what it really was... and you didn't go over the different kinds of lightstepping, either. Unless you were planning on doing that later or something.

The Hitstun boost mechanism: might be related to the mechanism for determining static collisions. Increases in frequency with kb increases, doesn't require any actual launch to occur.

-This is... yeah... like 5 pages worth of text. A lot of you have heard my rants about this.
Sakurai.

(Static and dynamic) collision determinants: character specific. The % point at which a given set of damage and kb will force a tech on a standing grounded character character. For static collisions this is based on no launch angles, and it does vary by character.

-really important
I didn't really get this part. You talk about forcing a tech... although I didn't think it was possible to actually force a tech. You can force a techable collision, but you can't force techs...

God DI, teching on reflex: a silly term I used long ago when I was... newer. Since then I've called it knockback inversion. Does that work? Teching on reflex is well... needs some clarification cause the times you can do this are measurable and yeah... its important.
Yeah. I read your whole thing about "God DI" a while back. Even calling it "knockback inversion" is sorta BS, because all you're doing are some massive SDI tricks that overcome the first frame of knockback thus causing you to have a collision with the ground. If you didn't have ground beneath you, you'd still end up getting rocketed upward after hitlag ends.

Combo vulnerability: you all should know what I mean by this by now, but its such a complex metric, I want to see if anyone has a better name.

Move followups and comboing: this could use some cleaning up.
-traps (starter move descriptor): regardless of DI there will be a followup, but this followup will change based on DI. A somewhat escapable combo.
-inescapable vs. completely escapable with DI.
-hybrid: an option trap with at least one inescapable followup. Many d-throws are hybrid starters.
- 0D: escapable death combo
- 0Di: inescapable death combo
- KO setup: a move sequence that includes an inescapable combo into a killing move (KNEE!).
K.

Veril

Frame Savant
The hitstun code is doing its job, ledge grabbing is just a separate mechanic apparently.

I will explain lightstepping for the bazillionth time after I get back from work.

I meant forcing a collision.

"If you didn't have ground beneath you, you'd still end up getting rocketed upward after hitlag ends."

That isn't true. See pound spiking for a good example.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
The hitstun code is doing its job, ledge grabbing is just a separate mechanic apparently.

I will explain lightstepping for the bazillionth time after I get back from work.
Or you could just link to a post you've already made explaining it... I've read some of your lightstepping stuff before, but I'm not sure if everyone else has.

"If you didn't have ground beneath you, you'd still end up getting rocketed upward after hitlag ends."

That isn't true. See pound spiking for a good example.
mind = blown

VietGeek

Smash Hero
does being able to ledgetech shield push-offs from an attack if you shield from a ledge considered to be part of collision determinants?

Also I'm not smart enough to understand this. =<

Veril

Frame Savant
ledgeteching shield push offs is different cause that situation always results in entering the tumble (collision...ing) state. Normally hits will have a chance of causing the character to enter the animation, this chance becomes either 100% or very close based on the force of the attack and damage the character is at. Take Jiggs f-air, it causes collisions at like 1% on most of the cast, her d-tilt on the other hand doesn't cause collisions till much higher %, and because of this we can see the variability (ie, the probability isn't always ~100% until a % which varies by character).

... this will all be in the report, I did a fair (pun?) bit of testing on this.

Is there a good example of pound spiking?
There's a youtube vid showing Pit's fair (semi) spiking. There are a few pound spike clips out there, some more valuable than others.

mind = blown
"Sorry
I did not mean, (he did not mean)
to blow your mind (to blow your mind)
But that **** happens to me,
all the time!"
~Tenacious D

Top Bottom