• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NO representation????

SGF rocker

Smash Apprentice
This sucks... there needs to be more wario's at tourneys.... pound4 barely had any, but Malcolm who i saw was freaking awesome. at this rate it sucks because i feel wario is gonna fall on the tier list cause no one is maining him so his metagame is gonna stall. ive been using wario on and off for awhile now and all my friends are telling me to just give up on him and start working on MK. I dont wanna give in to MK I feel other characters can beat him, but we need more warios out there. what do you guys think tho?? do you think wario is on the decline??

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
This is why I've been getting my vids out there. Not to represent me, but to rep Wario (and LA ;)) since he simply needs more exposure. Just by watching Malcom vs. Jash on the stream, I learned two new things: weak-hit Fair -> Upair, and offstage bike -> Upair. He tried the bike one a few times and missed, and I was like, WHY? He eventually hit him with it, jumped off into an Upair, and I was like OOOH that's why XD.

It seems with every other Wario vid I see, there's something I'd never seen before. I can't tell you how many things I now use because I've seen it in a video of Bassem, PX, DMG, etc. No two Wario players play the same, so you should try to watch a bunch of different ones and try out the things that worked best for them. That's what I've done: Incorporating strings and stuff that others have used into my game.

Hunger did well too, he got 17th. Good stuff to you guys who did go to Pound. :bigthumbu

So what if Wario falls on some tier list made by others' collective opinions. It won't change the way I play him, and I don't plan on ever switching to another character.

Not that many people play Wario because, IMO, Wario is not that easy to pick up. No stupid priority, no auto-win stuff, no projectiles, and a semi-hard chain-grab on only a few and barely used characters. There's not much a lower skilled player can get away with, either.

I feel I've been gaining momentum as a player, so hopefully there's better things to come for me. Even your post has inspired me even more to get better. Trust me, I've been getting some flak for playing such a "gay" character, but in most fighting games, gay=good, people just mad.

I've never written a more inspired post in my life.

tl;dr- More vids, more exposure. Wario doesn't fit everyone's style.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
As said, he doesn't get representation b/c he's a fairly hard top tier character to play effectively. He's incredibly dynamic though, which is awesome and makes him always fun/fresh to play.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Not that many people play Wario because, IMO, Wario is not that easy to pick up. No stupid priority, no auto-win stuff, no projectiles, and a semi-hard chain-grab on only a few and barely used characters. There's not much a lower skilled player can get away with, either.
If the average player really finds Wario hard to pick up, I think this adds to my case that the average player for this game is terrible.

Wario in my personal opinion is really not a hard character to pick up and play competently. This is not to say he doesn't have a lot of depth and options, it's just he has some very good options that are very obvious and easy to abuse. He has a command grab that lingers and has like no ending lag, and because it lingers, it not only beats shields, it beats DODGES and some ATTACKS. His Bike is hard to punish on reaction. His mobility makes his crossover game brokenly hard to observe. F-smash is stupid easy to land due to his mobility, being frame 9, and SA frames. An above average shieldgrab is REALLY abuseable when you have high mobility. D-air used with vertical spacing is pretty much unpunishable, and pressures defenses.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I think its safe to say that wario is going down in the tier list because of pound and the lack of attention this man gets. I personally think diddykong deserves to be higher along with falco but wario should still be top 7.

Padô

Smash Lord
I picked Wario for about 1 year and 2 months probably ago. I've learned A LOT with this years and watched a lot of new videos. As said, I saw a new way to play Wario each video I watched and learned a bit more every match I played.
Here in Brazil I'm probably the ONLY Wario player, when I started to have some good placings on the biggest tournaments here people started to complain that Wario was REALLY good and started to play him too, for about 5 months I heard a lot of people telling me that they just can't be good as Wario as I am, I guess now I know why... Definetely Wario is not an easy character, of course he's got a lot of safe/good options to punish and do play defensively but we can't rely on such thing to define that Wario is an easy character to play since If people get used to some tools from Wario it might get easy to get punished, and that's where Wario starts to shine, the capacity that the character gives you to adaptate to certain matchups is incredible but takes a while to know how to deal with each one of the characters on the roster.
For example I started to get good placings after 6 months playing tournaments and losing all of'em and that was really nice for me because I saw I was evolving with my character so I had nothing to worry about the Wario's position on the tier list(by the way I don't think he's dropping too much, maybe only a position because of Diddy Kong, IF he drops...) I believe right now we are just going thru bad waters, I'm pretty sure that soon we'll have some of our good representants taking good placi

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
Who cares???

If you want more people to pick up wario then give them a reason to do so. People picked up MK Snake Diddy because they can visibly see the potential and their boards provide answers to all of their questions. The wario boards provide vague statements. Outside of the marvelous video critiques that I personally recieved...any matchup information that I came here about was either not there or just not helpful. These boards are the reason why people don't play this character. We have a lot of good thread IDEAS but the actual exectution of them is poor. Wario is a frustrating character to play and play against. If I get ***** by a d3 I want to come here and see someone in absolute control of the matchup or a writeup explaining the situations that come up most often and my best options. We don't have that. We have "dont get grabbed" "d3 is tough but neutral on certain stages" "he has grab release upsmash" and "bair beats all your aerials". Thankfully I never came here for advice or else that matchup advice would have made me quit him...because it sounds downright impossible. But yeah...I dont want to ramble and insult the wario boards because every wario player i've met has been incredibly cool, but that is the best answer to your question of WHY people dont pick this character up.

Edit: It's not because he's any more difficult to use than the other characters. You guys are sounding like the sonic boards right now...stop it.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
+1 for Malcolm.

Representation in higher placements is fine, the fact that there's no over the top ****-all Wario does not mean Wario is underrepresented. There's just too few people who play him in order to see him shine at the rankings. Really, you can't expect every viable character to appear at pound's top 10 simply because it's a top 10. Other characters are played more often, and therefor have a bigger shot at getting top 10.

As for the small amount of people actually playing SmallFatGuy, I shall quote half of the Netherlands:

He plays like a fish, who wants to play like a fish?
I say no more.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
This sucks... there needs to be more wario's at tourneys.... pound4 barely had any, but Malcolm who i saw was freaking awesome. at this rate it sucks because i feel wario is gonna fall on the tier list cause no one is maining him so his metagame is gonna stall. ive been using wario on and off for awhile now and all my friends are telling me to just give up on him and start working on MK. I dont wanna give in to MK I feel other characters can beat him, but we need more warios out there. what do you guys think tho?? do you think wario is on the decline??
You don't want him to fall then wreck with him. You want his rep to be increase then wreck with him. If you can do either then kindly STFU.

If the average player really finds Wario hard to pick up, I think this adds to my case that the average player for this game is terrible.

Wario in my personal opinion is really not a hard character to pick up and play competently. This is not to say he doesn't have a lot of depth and options, it's just he has some very good options that are very obvious and easy to abuse. He has a command grab that lingers and has like no ending lag, and because it lingers, it not only beats shields, it beats DODGES and some ATTACKS. His Bike is hard to punish on reaction. His mobility makes his crossover game brokenly hard to observe. F-smash is stupid easy to land due to his mobility, being frame 9, and SA frames. An above average shieldgrab is REALLY abuseable when you have high mobility. D-air used with vertical spacing is pretty much unpunishable, and pressures defenses.
I don't think Wario is hard to pick up. His playstyle is just different from most characters so thats where the difficulties lies IMO.

Wario is definitely extremely hard to play, if you don't get that you haven't played him at a high level with good (and up-to-date) opponents, or played through an entire tournament as him. In addition, I hate to say it but there are no good Wario players... Just look at videos or results from the best Wario players, and you'll probably find yourself almost completely underwhelmed. There's no one even close to being GREAT with him atm. It doesn't help that most people play him wrong
Those are some pretty strong wrongs.

Who cares???

If you want more people to pick up wario then give them a reason to do so. People picked up MK Snake Diddy because they can visibly see the potential and their boards provide answers to all of their questions. The wario boards provide vague statements. Outside of the marvelous video critiques that I personally recieved...any matchup information that I came here about was either not there or just not helpful. These boards are the reason why people don't play this character. We have a lot of good thread IDEAS but the actual exectution of them is poor. Wario is a frustrating character to play and play against. If I get ***** by a d3 I want to come here and see someone in absolute control of the matchup or a writeup explaining the situations that come up most often and my best options. We don't have that. We have "dont get grabbed" "d3 is tough but neutral on certain stages" "he has grab release upsmash" and "bair beats all your aerials". Thankfully I never came here for advice or else that matchup advice would have made me quit him...because it sounds downright impossible. But yeah...I dont want to ramble and insult the wario boards because every wario player i've met has been incredibly cool, but that is the best answer to your question of WHY people dont pick this character up.

Edit: It's not because he's any more difficult to use than the other characters. You guys are sounding like the sonic boards right now...stop it.
I agree with this. I also wondered why you didn't post in the Wario boards now I know.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
While weak hit fair > upair is good on characters w/ slow fairs... I'm pretty sure there is nothing guaranteed about offstage bike > upair except the wtf factor, right? I don't see why toon link wouldn't dair if you hit him w/ the bike since the bike out stop his dair fall.

Padô

Smash Lord
Who cares???

Believe me or not I'm trying my best to make this Board a better board, I ressurected the match-up thread, argued on most of the topics that were like "How to deal..." "How to punish" and the WMT (Weekly MatchUp Threads).
But I think this actions are not mutual or people just don't want to help other for whatever the reason... If I conclude this MatchUp Thread succesfully maybe I'll start the Stages Discussion, If you really think those threads are helping I'm sorry I'm doing my best.
Humpy made the AWESOME Wario Book of knowledge which makes me wanna stay here and improve more and more this board and, of course, all of this on my own limits of time and disponibility.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
While weak hit fair > upair is good on characters w/ slow fairs... I'm pretty sure there is nothing guaranteed about offstage bike > upair except the wtf factor, right? I don't see why toon link wouldn't dair if you hit him w/ the bike since the bike out stop his dair fall.
Exactly. When I play someone like Hyro, he knows most of what I do, so I have to keep things fresh. He would NEVER expect me to bike offstage offensively, so unless he sees this, he wouldn't know how to react. It'll work maybe the first time, but I'll probably never try it again.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
For the record, I used to be extremely helpful, almost single-handedly kept these boards alive back during the grab release wrecks Wario period. But like... I may be close to retiring from the game, depending on my med school courseload, so I have to stop spoonfeeding information. People need to figure things out for themselves, if they don't, then Wario dies when those who develop him/push him forward leave the scene.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
For the record, I used to be extremely helpful, almost single-handedly kept these boards alive back during the grab release wrecks Wario period. But like... I may be close to retiring from the game, depending on my med school courseload, so I have to stop spoonfeeding information. People need to figure things out for themselves, if they don't, then Wario dies when those who develop him/push him forward leave the scene.
email me your notes and ill replace you. Congrats on med school good luck with that **** man.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I really really really want to be helpful in reviving the Wario hype. I wish I could be one of those wealth of knowledge people that every board seems to have one of. I think that if I could couple my computer/writing knowledge stuff with my knowledge of brawl I could help step in and get some more people to pick up Wario.
He is by far my favorite character. He is the only character that lets me play as weird as I want. I can jump around and air dodge like an idiot or approach an opponent by crawling backwards at him. He's vile and mean, but still incredibly awesome. If I could just get one person to pick up Wario it would make me happy. I'm getting so lonely being the only Wario in my region (seriously, not a single one), I want someone to bounce ideas off of and get to see them play first hand.
Because the sad truth is I'm not very good. I can't be one of those helpful people if I can't win 4 out of 6 of the top tier matchups.

I forget where I was going with this. I guess I just needed to vent my frustration for the lack of Wario representation and my lack of brawl skill.

iFudge

Banned via Warnings
wario's is differnt from the rest. he isnt like diddy where if you know how to glide-toss. you can basically auto-pilot a win. with-out any thinking. or mk where all your moves are easy to land.
but thats why i love using wario. Heck im going pure wario in my 2nd offline tourney this Week.
Edit: On topic. I really think the main thing with wario is. We need better wario's, like malcolm and futile and phantomx. hence the reason why mk is so domiant.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
wario's is differnt from the rest. he isnt like diddy where if you know how to glide-toss. you can basically auto-pilot a win. with-out any thinking. or mk where all your moves are easy to land.
but thats why i love using wario. Heck im going pure wario in my 2nd offline tourney this Week.
Edit: On topic. I really think the main thing with wario is. We need better wario's, like malcolm and futile and phantomx. hence the reason why mk is so domiant.
That was silly if glide tossing with diddy was all it took to win then I'd be playing him. That's like saying all it takes to win with snake is learning how to dacus.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
This whole thread is silly.

You gotta start thinking like Wario.
GET MONEY **** APPEARANCES

If he falls on the tier but you can still win that gold with him, who cares?

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
Well, being that there are about 4 Wario mains that I know of in MD/VA alone, not to mention a lot of the people that I see using him, the DESIRE for representation is there.

However, I know that I for one really need to step it up and I have infact been doing that.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
I picked him up after pound 4, brought him out in tourney for the first time last saturday. only played as him for 2 games, but I did alright so I'll probably start pulling him out more often. I'll try and place with only him sometime in the next couple months

Top Bottom