• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No online for SSBB?!

SpreeEndaz

Banned via Warnings
Before getting very excited and hyped up, this might make you very worried. And by the trailer, i think they will stick to 4 players for multi-player, not 8 like they announced earlier I think.

The next questioner raised a major issue, asking if Super Smash Bros. Brawl would support the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection. Sakurai said his team will try to take the game online, but he thinks it would be a hard to make four-player online work.

Source:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6150506.html

who wants to play 4 player any way? aside from teams it's pointless, and im sure many can live w/out teams online....but not me. I'm sure they'll work things out for the better.

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, as long as 1v1 matches can be online, there's no problem. No one but we competetive Smashers are going to want to play online often, so it shouldn't be a problem.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

Nwordtim

Smash Journeyman
Captain_Obvious said:
Yeah, as long as 1v1 matches can be online, there's no problem. No one but we competetive Smashers are going to want to play online often, so it shouldn't be a problem.

- Captain R.D. Obvious
Yah ture that ture that

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
I'd prefer a streamlined one-on-one than a half-working FFA system any day.

SpreeEndaz

Banned via Warnings
Captain_Obvious said:

- Captain R.D. Obvious
Stop assuming things, tournament players are just a little percentage of Smash players.

turbo_ja

Smash Apprentice
they won't implement wifi just to have 1v1's going on..that would be ********.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
According to IGN:

IGN said:
Even better, the game will be fully online playable in addition to featuring a robust multiplayer mode. "My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that," added Sakurai.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
SpreeEndaz said:
I think they will stick to 4 players for multi-player, not 8 like they announced earlier I think.
They never said 8 players.

SpreeEndaz

Banned via Warnings
I don't know but I think Gamespot is usually a reliable source too, time will tell.

LOST_815

Smash Cadet
I sincerely hope that there is at least 4 player online

1v1 would be so lame... like someone else said, the tournament community is a small percentage of smash players.

Please nintendo...

KaNif

Smash Cadet
4v4 would be nice, and it would probably get alot more casual players to get into competetive play, but if it's just going to be 1v1, then that's cool too.. i'm down either way. as long as there's any online play at all, the game's guaranteed to become ALOT more competetive, and people will get way more ridiculous. and there's nothing wrong with that :D

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
There's a lot of issues that could happen with online. On the one hand, look at Mario Kart DD -- the "online functionality" had to be reduced to random characters due to programming issues.

The last thing we want is a laggy SSB online, and just think about how awful it might get with 4 players and items turned on, not to mention anything going on in the level.

Online is being insisted upon by several sources, but the gamespot interview does indeed bring up an interesting point. 4 player FFA might just not work.

But it will be online. It's being released to put the Wifi system into drive.

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
Yeah, I'm willing to believe that online won't be 4 player. If you lag, you're toast, and having two more opponents to download information from means that everyone's data speed is slow. In the first place you'll have people who want to try this using some wierd wireless dial-up connection, so even 2 players might get bogged down sometimes.

Also, like MKDS, the levels might be restricted, so don't be disappointed if that happens. 'Course, if the Wii has a hard drive then caching levels might not be a problem.

SpreeEndaz

Banned via Warnings
If a small company like THQ made an online wrestling game, I think a first-class company should at least be able to make a 4-players online game. And don't forget they started talking about online since GC, so they can't have just made that little of a step in 5 years.

Sensai

Smash Master
Scav said:
The last thing we want is a laggy SSB online, and just think about how awful it might get with 4 players and items turned on, not to mention anything going on in the level.

Online is being insisted upon by several sources, but the gamespot interview does indeed bring up an interesting point. 4 player FFA might just not work.

But it will be online. It's being released to put the Wifi system into drive.
I agree...I'd rather have no online than a REALLY bad one. I mean, half the fun as it is is bringing over friends, beatin' them to death, and then rubbin' it in their faces. Online'll be cool (I have almost no doubt it'll at least be some online), but if it's not 4v4, or 16 player (I read that somewhere....), then I'll live. As long as it comes out, sweet GOD let it come out!

Maveric

Smash Rookie
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/707/707504p1.html

Even better, the game will be fully online playable in addition to featuring a robust multiplayer mode. "My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that," added Sakurai.
Scav edit: The thread is only 3 pages, please read it before posting. This has already been mentioned.

SpreeEndaz

Banned via Warnings
Nwordtim said:
dude making games online is not as easy as you think
I had XBOX Live and I know what some companies are able of. Don't get me wrong; it is not a easy task but some very small companies did some good job, why can't Nintendo work on it, it's not with a crappy online mode for Smash that they are going to convince us that their online community will be as good as XBOX Live. Smash is maybe the most awaited title for Wii and if there is a bad online mode, Nintendo have a lot to lose.

LOST_815

Smash Cadet
Ok, I am having an argument with a friend and he is saying that if a FPS or any other game (sports) can be done online, that a fighting game like smash bros should be cake. I know there are some smart people around here that would be able to give me some reasons why fighters are so much harder to get to work, so could I get a little help explaining it to him?

Doctor Grudge

Smash Cadet
Wak said:
wow, I knew rumors would comes out but not as fast as that...

they never said Brawl would be 8 players???
Actually there was a rumour about 4 years ago that the next sequel would be 8 players.

SpreeEndaz

Banned via Warnings
LOST_815 said:
Ok, I am having an argument with a friend and he is saying that if a FPS or any other game (sports) can be done online, that a fighting game like smash bros should be cake. I know there are some smart people around here that would be able to give me some reasons why fighters are so much harder to get to work, so could I get a little help explaining it to him?
FPS don't have a lot of items and interactions, just imagine 4 Pokemons at the same time that 4 players are fighting and that the jet in Cornelia is shooting blasts, that's a **** lot of interactivity and lag.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah. Rumor. A lot diferent than fact.

I don't see why it can't be done. If games like Halo and so on, which are a LOT more complex (moving in 3d, vechiles, 16 players, ect) I don't see what's so hard about having 4 players moving in 2D, items or not.

Sensai

Smash Master
LOST_815 said:
Quite simply, as best as I can understand it....FPS and Sports can lag. And they do. Smash CAN'T lag, or else it's gone. It has to be flawless, so...there ya go.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
They announced SSBB would have online the day they announced the game. The DS can support 4 player online games, anyone who thinks Wii can't is Wiitarded.

SpreeEndaz

Banned via Warnings
freeman123 said:
They announced SSBB would have online the day they announced the game. The DS can support 4 player online games, anyone who thinks Wii can't is Wiitarded.
If I remember correctly, Nintendo talked about online capacities for Gamecube and they did a very good job [/sarcasm]

LOST_815

Smash Cadet
Sensai said:
Quite simply, as best as I can understand it....FPS and Sports can lag. And they do. Smash CAN'T lag, or else it's gone. It has to be flawless, so...there ya go.

Yeah, I used this because it's what I first thought of. I was telling him to imagine trying to get back to the stage while lagging... he pretty much responded with "well, it's no different than in a game like halo, when it lags and you miss - time your jump and fall in a hole and die. When you lag in a FPS you can die, same as in a fighter".

I couldn't really think of a response :ohwell:

Maveric

Smash Rookie
A true, good, online smash would require no lag whatsoever, and incredible pings by everyone, or the game would just not work. This is the type of game that is down to the split second, and it's going to be really hard fro nintendo to pull thatoff.

Banned via Administration
Maveric said:
A true, good, online smash would require no lag whatsoever, and incredible pings by everyone, or the game would just not work. This is the type of game that is down to the split second, and it's going to be really hard fro nintendo to pull thatoff.
Very true. especially considering a shine is 1/60th of a second if done right. I wish I knew more about what the DS uses for online, server side? client side? If we figure this out, we'll probalby know what the Wii will use, considering they'll probably use the same system.

Banned via Administration
_the_sandman_ said:
I'm sure if they can make DS games work online with 4+ people. Then SSBB should have no problem working with 4 players.
no..........because ssbb requires 1/60th of a second precision

mario kart ds doesn't require that much precision at all..........

think before you post please.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
_the_sandman_ said:
I'm sure if they can make DS games work online with 4+ people. Then SSBB should have no problem working with 4 players.
Have you even played any of the games yet? They're hardly lag-free and I've had it screw me over before. Just imagine how it can be in a complex game like Smash where every 60th of a second is important?

I have high hopes for SSBB's WiFi capabilities, but don't expect it to be lagless.

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
I can wait 21.3 years. I wont play online unless it is the EXACT same speed as offline.

MetalGearLink

Smash Apprentice
I prefer that the game comes out in 2007 whit an online mode than when the Wii comes out, 4 players wouldbe awsome !!!! but at least 1 vs 1 will be enougth to make me happy

Top Bottom