• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No online for SSBB?!

Sensai

Smash Master
LeonVII said:
I think that Nintendo should at least have 3v3 online or a 4v4. I know a lot of people who are good players and can really kick @$$ on teams. :chuckle: But too many people are saying that 4v4 is too much. :(
I agree with whoever gave the idea that 1v1 without items (maybe 2v2 also) and then all the other ones with items. The ones who'll play 1v1v1v1 or 4v4 (if there is something like that) will surely have to know that lag (serious lag) will occur.

Cronus

Smash Rookie
Sensai said:
I agree with whoever gave the idea that 1v1 without items (maybe 2v2 also) and then all the other ones with items. The ones who'll play 1v1v1v1 or 4v4 (if there is something like that) will surely have to know that lag (serious lag) will occur.

eh ya nver know. I mean they could be upgrading it somehow.. But it would be kinda sweet if you can have like a clan regardless. And you can watch your members battles and so on.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
1v1 is obviously the competitive standard, but to leave out 4 man melees or 2v2's online is downright blasphemous: You already have an online connection - if you're too lazy/cheap/whatever to make an interface to support it, don't even bother. Besides: What would Red Steel by without this kind of online interface? Oh goodie goodie! 1v1 in a shooting game. 100% chance they will already have an interface for multiplayer online gaming. They can and and probably will apply it to Smash.

GAmer1991

Smash Apprentice
A spectator mode would be nice.

However, looks like I won't be enjoying online, thanks to my REALLY BAD internet. My average PING is about 100, which is too much for smash.

Mario 64 Master

Smash Journeyman
Many of you probably don't know this, but there is a type of lag compensation implemented into some online games, for PC at least. In first person shooters the game calculates how slow behind real-time your screen is showing you information and adjusts for you. This means there should be no trouble doing moves like L cancelling because the game will be sympathetic to letting to perform the move when your own screen says it should work.

I am basing this off of experience with PC gaming though, and don't know exactly how well it can translate for a game like SSBB on the Wii.

Sensai

Smash Master
Mario 64 Master said:
Many of you probably don't know this, but there is a type of lag compensation implemented into some online games, for PC at least. In first person shooters the game calculates how slow behind real-time your screen is showing you information and adjusts for you. This means there should be no trouble doing moves like L cancelling because the game will be sympathetic to letting to perform the move when your own screen says it should work.

I am basing this off of experience with PC gaming though, and don't know exactly how well it can translate for a game like SSBB on the Wii.
Well, that's just handy! Unless your lag comes and goes, in which case it would be kinda screwy.

And a spectator mode would be nice.

BentoBox

Smash Master
There won't be any spectator mode if the online works with Friend Codes... They'd need a Gunbound-like interface for us to choose which room we want to enter, which duel we'd want to watch, interact with people, organize matches online without having to go back to your trusty computer, etc~

Sensai

Smash Master
BentoBox said:
There won't be any spectator mode if the online works with Friend Codes... They'd need a Gunbound-like interface for us to choose which room we want to enter, which duel we'd want to watch, interact with people, organize matches online without having to go back to your trusty computer, etc~
That's not necessarily true...I mean, if Friend A and B are fighting, and you're Friend C and wanting to spectate, just hit up one of their friend codes.

Doesn't that make sense?

BentoBox

Smash Master
Sensai said:
That's not necessarily true...I mean, if Friend A and B are fighting, and you're Friend C and wanting to spectate, just hit up one of their friend codes.

Doesn't that make sense?
I guess I play to much unreal 2k4.. But what if the people you want to watch fight (i.e. Isai vs Ken) aren't on your buddy list (as they prolly won't be on mine, and you can't expect them to "make friends" with any noob wanting to kiss their feet...), what then? Why would you want to be limited in watching people you know?

edit : Silver Battle axe + >_>

LinksBoomStick

Smash Rookie
If Smash was online it would revolutionize the gameplay.
Just look at Halo 2, the campaign sucks, the only good part is the online, and it is very good at that.
The game will be good either way, but online would bring so much more to the game.

ArichTheViking

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe you guys are even questioning whether or not there will be online. There will be online, it will be 4 player.

Remember Sakurai is the same guy who walked away from Nintendo and was never going to touch Smash Bros. again. He's the same guy who said the Smash team has been working since October and had only finished the trailer video- the very video which contained gameplay footage of two new characters. When he says 4 player will be hard to do, don't read too much into it. He also said one of the main reasons they are making the game is to have online play. He's just a little pessimistic and indecisive is all. Online play with 4 players is confirmed.

As for there being tens of thousands of tournament players, and the game must be completely lag free or there's no point in having it at all...? Huh? Are there 60,000 serious tournament players? If so, they make up 1% of the people who bought Smash. Think about the other 99% who will be happy with something which is actually POSSIBLE- which is a few frames of lag depending on players connections.

You guys are still talking about lag time in 4 v 4. HELLO STUPID?!?!?!?! Hhave you not played Mario Kart or Metroid Prime Hunters online?!? Because, uh, hehe, there's not much lag on those when they're four player. Stop being UTTERLY STUPID AND COMPLETELY UNREASONABLE PEOPLE!!!

Viktoria

Smash Cadet
Maybe they will limit the max item amount to 'medium' for online, so people don't get into a V.High Pokéball 4-man melee on a tiny stage by mistake and think "this sux lol".

LeonVII

Smash Apprentice
ArichTheViking said:
I can't believe you guys are even questioning whether or not there will be online. There will be online, it will be 4 player.

Remember Sakurai is the same guy who walked away from Nintendo and was never going to touch Smash Bros. again. He's the same guy who said the Smash team has been working since October and had only finished the trailer video- the very video which contained gameplay footage of two new characters. When he says 4 player will be hard to do, don't read too much into it. He also said one of the main reasons they are making the game is to have online play. He's just a little pessimistic and indecisive is all. Online play with 4 players is confirmed.

As for there being tens of thousands of tournament players, and the game must be completely lag free or there's no point in having it at all...? Huh? Are there 60,000 serious tournament players? If so, they make up 1% of the people who bought Smash. Think about the other 99% who will be happy with something which is actually POSSIBLE- which is a few frames of lag depending on players connections.
Lots of games have confirmed that they have online play only to have it taken out of the game in the end.

Sensai

Smash Master
BentoBox said:
I guess I play to much unreal 2k4.. But what if the people you want to watch fight (i.e. Isai vs Ken) aren't on your buddy list (as they prolly won't be on mine, and you can't expect them to "make friends" with any noob wanting to kiss their feet...), what then? Why would you want to be limited in watching people you know?
It wouldn't be limited to just friends. I mean, I assume when it comes out, EVERYONE'll put their FC's in their sig's, so we'll have everyones.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sensai said:
It wouldn't be limited to just friends. I mean, I assume when it comes out, EVERYONE'll put their FC's in their sig's, so we'll have everyones.
The problem is though, if they want to play you, they need to have your friend code, but the other person also needs YOUR friend code.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Mic_128 said:
The problem is though, if they want to play you, they need to have your friend code, but the other person also needs YOUR friend code.
Yeah...friend codes are pretty ********. I think the reason they use them is so they don't take responsibility for you giving your personal info to someone you don't know, or seeing/hearing profane things from people you don't know (you can't voice chat with someone on Metroid DS unless you have each other's friend codes).

I'm assuming that the online play will have much more options than Nintendo's DS games, though. Hopefully there will be a way to play against who you want without needing friend codes, by just typing their screen name in. Maybe they could just make you agree that you take responsibility for whatever info you exchange with the person you're playing against that isn't on your friend's list or something.

KoopaTroopa

Smash Journeyman
BLAH! All of you grumpy ol' men are asking for way too much... Seriously. Wouldnt you be happy with online at all versus no online? Lag is NOT the end of the world, and if you can deal with it (because it WILL occur to EVERYONE) it would make everyone a lot happier. Dont expect too much; if it is lag free, cool. If it isnt, then you werent dissapointed because, technically, there was no loss. WOW!

MyKo

Smash Lord
You Probably Can Tell After IP Tracking Me.
what i'm thinking:

it's their loss.

if they don't know there's many smash fans out there, then..they're not involved in this community, right?

..not putting smash online, even for 1v1..or at least trying for 2v2 or whatever..is actually their loss. it's only the one thing we wanted..to go online..with smash.

nonetheless, if i get this thing, i still don't mind traveling, but watch, if this thing really goes online, we'll all start getting lazy..and not go out like we used to for Melee..lol, true it is, watch.

Sensai

Smash Master
Mic_128 said:
I'm still missing why spec mode would be so hard. If I had MyKo's friend code, and he's playing a match again (who's right above him...) Koopa, then I'd enter MyKo's FC after choosing the spectator mode, and voila. I'd watch it.

Right?

Nite

Smash Champion
I am sure that they can figure something out. Even if they don't have a four player online, a lot of people wouldn't care because most of the smash community likes 1v1 the best. The only reason I would want 4 player is for teams. I am not sure how that would work though.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I would personally be fine with one on one matches. I could play with my friends back home in Georgia, and my boyfriend over in Texas. ^_^ And all from my cozy apartment in Arizona. I lik eone on one better anyways because I like duel-like scenario. I've always enjoyed one on one matches in all sorts of games.

Leon V11, most, if not all of the games that said they would and then didn't were NOT Nintendo. This is made by Nintendo exclusively, so of course they are going to have NINTENDO'S Wi-Fi service.

JGdoomofsteel

Smash Rookie
Last I checked, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is going to be an online play game. I'd probably think that this is good, because now we all can play against people that we can never play against and see how good he/she is. Not mention its better than playing online than playing against the same friends who live around you. Playing against the same person over and over again gets boring, doesn't it?

Top Bottom