• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No online for SSBB?!

Sensai

Smash Master
endah said:
I can wait 21.3 years. I wont play online unless it is the EXACT same speed as offline.
I agree. This game has to be FLAWLESS online, or it just won't be worth playing.

And no, it's not just like Halo's lag. If you lag in Halo, and you jump during the lag, you're dumb, because you KNOW something'll happen.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
5150 said:
Very true. especially considering a shine is 1/60th of a second if done right. I wish I knew more about what the DS uses for online, server side? client side? If we figure this out, we'll probalby know what the Wii will use, considering they'll probably use the same system.
i read on n-sider a few days ago that wii is going to be 802.11 b/g so it'll actually be compatible with all access points instead of the proprietary bull**** on ds.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
endah said:
I can wait 21.3 years. I wont play online unless it is the EXACT same speed as offline.
yup, gonna be waiting awhile :/ The game just wont be able to be taken seriously online, I guarantee it.

Also, the thing is that it doesn't even have to lag. There is always about 2-3 frames of lag, even when the connection looks perfect, in ANY online game. How are you supposed to super samus wavedash? You need precise timing, and the lag is always taking away from this(granted, super samus wavedash prolly wont be in the game, but this is just an example.)

People are gonna have a very very hard time hitting anything that requires strict timing such as L cancels, and will have to adjust to any lag accordingly.

Emoney 102

Smash Apprentice
Some battles will have lag some won't it depends on whose hosting the match.
If u want a good online community nintendo better make it for only broadband internet users.

one thing i have to say is smash bros has a good community of gamers, not a lot of idiots if u know what i mean. so we shouldn't have to worry about hackers and bridgers and stuff.

Yokoson

Smash Journeyman
LOST_815 said:
Yeah, I used this because it's what I first thought of. I was telling him to imagine trying to get back to the stage while lagging... he pretty much responded with "well, it's no different than in a game like halo, when it lags and you miss - time your jump and fall in a hole and die. When you lag in a FPS you can die, same as in a fighter".

I couldn't really think of a response :ohwell:

Your friend is right. Lag is going to happen. Online is NOT going to be exactly like offline. You want to play online, learn how to deal with the lag.

SpreeEndaz

Banned via Warnings
Angrylobster said:
yup, gonna be waiting awhile :/ The game just wont be able to be taken seriously online, I guarantee it.

Also, the thing is that it doesn't even have to lag. There is always about 2-3 frames of lag, even when the connection looks perfect, in ANY online game. How are you supposed to super samus wavedash? You need precise timing, and the lag is always taking away from this(granted, super samus wavedash prolly wont be in the game, but this is just an example.)

People are gonna have a very very hard time hitting anything that requires strict timing such as L cancels, and will have to adjust to any lag accordingly.
The percentage of players who really care about this stuff (a.k.a tournament players) is so small that it doesn't really matters. The most important thing is that there should be an almost lag-free online mode so most people be happy, don't just think about people on this board, you don't represent all the Smash players.

SmashBroPro

Smash Ace
The percentage of players who really care about this stuff (a.k.a tournament players) is so small that it doesn't really matters.
Just because you mindlessly repeat something doesn't give it any more traction. There are thousands of people in America who compete in tournaments. Nintendo had an offical SSBM tournament that alone drew thousands of players. Worldwide, tens of thousands of people have played in SSB tournaments. Last I checked that adds up to something a bit more than insignifigant. Don't talk about the size of something you obviously have no clue about.

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
four player online IS problematic what with lag and everything, I don't even think it'll be too enjoyable, I wouldn't play 4 player online often, not with the way the internet runs now.

I hope they at least implement 1v1, but that doesn't look likely.

Fenrir

Smash Ace
NNID
FenrirW0lf
3DS FC
3523-2051-9785
Why doesn't it look likely when they specifically said that's what they plan to do?

Take the developers words into consideration, not misguided topic titles.

Rickety

Peace and Love
Perhaps Brawl will borrow a page from Tetris DS's online modes:

1vs1 no items
4 players with items.

That would make me happiest. tournament goers and casual gamers will be satisified. Casual gamers may put up with some lag in four player, but they'd be willing to put up with it and enjoy the zany antics onscreen. Tournament goers like ourselves will happy playing a competitive, lag-free game. :]

*fingers crossed*

Scintillatedseed

Smash Journeyman
Fenrir said:
Why doesn't it look likely when they specifically said that's what they plan to do?

Take the developers words into consideration, not misguided topic titles.
It doesn't seem likely in my mind because of the costs involved for implementing it and creating a lag-free enviroment especially in a fast paced game like smash. Four player smash is frustrating for me, and as people continue to play will find that it isn't as entertaining with the eventual consideration for their limitations with all the lag involved.

But you're right I made a quick assumption but not on the title but what hte thread writer said. And on checking the article. They're going to try to push online but 4 player is goign to be difficult.

I find it hard to believe that htey'd go through the work of implementing 1v1 on the net and not 4 player. Although internet speeds are increasing, and I hear there's a new internet that my freind has that's double the speed of current cable modems. But I do suppose they are going to put things online, but they're not going to put things 1v1 online alone. That was what I felt that would be improbable to fruition. Why have 1v1 when you can just implement the 4 player option and have people choose right?

SpreeEndaz

Banned via Warnings
SmashBroPro said:
Just because you mindlessly repeat something doesn't give it any more traction. There are thousands of people in America who compete in tournaments. Nintendo had an offical SSBM tournament that alone drew thousands of players. Worldwide, tens of thousands of people have played in SSB tournaments. Last I checked that adds up to something a bit more than insignifigant. Don't talk about the size of something you obviously have no clue about.
Maybe thousands is a big number but still, not as big as the casual and normal gamers represent. SSBM is one of the most selling games on Gamecube if not THE most selling game, what's a couple of thousands in proportion to that?

Link-NY

Smash Ace
well for some reason im sure u can play wifi connection for the SSBB online by teams 1v1 3 way FFA and 4way FFA along with adding ppl to a freinds list or rivals list just like metroid hunters for the DS.How ever this is only the DS that i am referting to so who knows?>

Card

Smash Lord
Sensai said:
I agree. This game has to be FLAWLESS online, or it just won't be worth playing.
I really hate to burst your (and everyone who is on the same page as you) bubbles... but Lag Free? What dream world do you guys live in? Do you actually think its possible to play an online game with 0.0 seconds of lag between all players participating? Well, it isn't. It's been that way since the day the internet was released, there is just absolutly no way to have flawless lag-free environments, unless you are either all playing on the same console or playing over LAN.

But, over the years the situation with "lag" has improved. With a stable internet connection, and server; people can play games against eachother with almost no detectable lag at all, maybe 0.05 or 0.1 seconds of delay in between button presses. Hardly anything that would disrupt gameplay.

Incase you are also unaware, People have been playing many 2-D fighting games over the internet, and having no problems at all. I have played Marvel vs. Capcom, King of Fighters, SNK vs Capcom, Marvel vs. Street Fighter, and EVEN Super Smash Bros 64 Over the net, in both 1 on 1 and 2 on 2 matches, and in the case of SSB64 4-player Free-for-All. Sometimes there is lag, sometimes there isn't. Its all dependant on the pings from your opponents, and the server's stability. But it is DEFINITLY playable. It's usually a hit-or-miss kind of thing; sometimes you'll find 3 people online to play Smash Bros, and everything will work great and you'll have tons of fun... Other times, you'll meet people with not-so-good Pings and they will continuously "Desync" from your game and you'll have to start over. That's just the type of things you have to deal with in an online environment... Lag.

Mic_128 said:
I don't see why it can't be done. If games like Halo and so on, which are a LOT more complex (moving in 3d, vechiles, 16 players, ect) I don't see what's so hard about having 4 players moving in 2D, items or not.
Exactly what I was thinking. Super Smash Bros Brawl will have Maximum 4 players (1 on 1's for Online Tournament Play) in a game. With Nintendo being the backbone Server for the game, there should be almost no lag at all on their end, but the connections will depend on the players end. If there is lag, it is most probably YOUR fault. Nintendo should have absolutly no problem hosting SSBB Online, as well as Animal Crossing, and many other games for Wii that should be stellar for Online Play.

I've said it earlier, but I have played SSB64 Online and it was tons of fun, People we're still able to perform combo moves and SHFFL'd combos on command with little problem. Unless of course your playing with people who have bad connections, which of course ruins the games speed until they finally drop from the game.

I'd rather have an OPTIONAL Online Mode (with a few lag twerks), than NO ONLINE mode at all. Besides... Smash Bros will Always be more fun when played in the same room with friends.

grollum

Smash Rookie
i am not a competitve smasher and i would love ot play onlien and i do want 4 players more the merrier as some one said and teams would eb fun also.

I think you guys are a little too competitive, sometimes it's good to lighten up and just play.

In response to earlier talk, I think you guys should try nintendo.com or maybe even Nintendo Power the website or its magazine, which I'd prefer, where it's straight from the source, I think that's a lot more reliable than IGN or Gamespot.

I also think you guys are worrying a little too much, I'm pretty sure that Nintendo people's know all about the competitive world of smash, and I think that they'll have 4v4, 2v2, 1v1, item switch, voice chat with the microphone installed into the Wii controller if you plug it in to a shell of a Wavebird, and they'll have some sort of tournament mode, I don't think you guys have to worry so much. Maybe, but you probably don't.

Why are you guys doubting Nintendo's Wi-Fi ability now? They seem to have done a pretty good job with it on the DS, plus they've now had experience so I think they'll be better at it for the Wii. Not be enjoyable? You don't even think they'll have 1v1?!? What's wrong with that logic? Angrylobster, I think that you're wrong about not being serious on online. Sure, it'll have less of a serious tone online, as it is harder to plan tournaments online, but hey, like I said, maybe you too need to lighten up a little on your smash playing, hm? I think that if four players can race online with fairly little lag in Mario Kart DS, then I'm pretty sure they'll have 1v1, plus everything else that I mentioned in the paragraph before.

Aids_Ninja

Smash Cadet
all i want is one v one online matches those r the best type. If they dont even have one on one i be really pissed. i hope they have some thing where people can watch the 1v1 bein played and take on winner

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
I don't know much about HOW Nintendo is doing the WiiConnect24 service, but if it's going to be a 24/7 service even when your system is off that says to me that most Wii online games will most likely be played though a host server, and not a client server as you have in Halo 2. This could reduce lag enough that if people want to play serious matches they can.

BUT Even in the Halo community no pro players, or even somewhat decent players, take online games seriously. They use it to practice sure, but even in a game as slow paced as Halo 2-3 frames of lag can make the difference in a close range shotgun or melee battle. I think it will be the same with SSBB. They will most likely give players more options in terms of the friends/rivals lists and also lobbys or channels, so players can set up their own games or play for FUN on the FFA matchmaking service. Considering that they do know about the competitive nature of Smash they will likely also include a 1v1 matchmaking service, and maybe a 2v2. And they could make standard rules (like 8 minutes 4 stock, best of 3) and have players vote what stage they want and possibly if they want items. That's how they do it with MP:Hunters and MKDS.

I just hope they allow voicechat, even if it's pre/post-game.

EDIT: Also I know someone who runs a ladder system for XBL games. He is a really good player and all, but his ladder/online tournament thing doesn't represent the best players at those games, especially Halo 2. Sure the top players MIGHT be good, but in an online tournament or ladder you will have cheaters and even if they get caught it will just screw up everything. Plus what would you get from an online tournament? Nothing except maybe some respect (assuming your opponents weren't john'rs) but unless people all mail a $1 to you for winning, then you get jack. To me online is for practiceplay and in person is for serious play.

Sensai

Smash Master
Chibi said:
I really hate to burst your (and everyone who is on the same page as you) bubbles... but Lag Free?
We mean 'lag free' as in virtually no lag. The ability to produce anything with literally NO lag is (as far as I know, I'm not big into this) impossible.

And as to your comment about rather having bad online then no online, I agree. At first, I figured I wouldn't because I'd be tempted to play online all the time. But then again, as someone pointed out earlier, that's better then beating up level 9's.

And whomever had the idea about 1v1 without items and FFA's with items is a smart man, with a smart idea. Somebody give him a cookie.

Sensai

Smash Master
Y34HDUD3!!! said:
Yeah i would really like to kick my friends 4$$ online.
Just go to their houses. It'd be better, and that way when you get done, you can laugh and point at their sucky loser n00b faces.

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
If it goes online great I'll never use it. if it doesn't even better. I don' t like playing with people I don't know...but that's just me.

Sensai

Smash Master
HourglassMemory said:
If it goes online great I'll never use it. if it doesn't even better. I don' t like playing with people I don't know...but that's just me.
Eh. The beauty of the internet is that everyone's anonymous, and everyone has a voice. See, watch this.

BUSH SUCKS!

See? No one can hurt me. All they can do is flame me, and I can choose to just skip over it all.

Tarrant

Smash Rookie
ya...
i think that lag will all depend on the people playing, not Nintendo. U cant expect Nintendo to make it so that even for ppl w/ bad connection will have olny slight lag. Its not possible >.<

HourglassMemory

Smash Journeyman
Sensai said:
Eh. The beauty of the internet is that everyone's anonymous, and everyone has a voice. See, watch this.

BUSH SUCKS!

See? No one can hurt me. All they can do is flame me, and I can choose to just skip over it all.
Lol I'll give it a try. It's not like I'm anti-social.

Of course they'll have an online ranking. Why do you even have to ask?!? You guys are getting way too excited, so you can't even think straight. Think about it, Nintendo already made online ranking for EVERY FREAKIN' DS game that's got Wi-Fi, so why would they not make online ranking for any game on the Wii?!?

Suicide Fox, you said most of what I wanted to a little clearer than how I did.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
I honestly would still be satisfied if it just had 1v1, as 1v1 is my favorite way to play. However, it would be a lot better if it supported up to four players, as well as attract more people to play. 2v2 for online would be pretty sweet though.

Cronus

Smash Rookie
there gonna have 2v2... doesnt make any sense why not.. Im just hoping for 4v4...

LeonVII

Smash Apprentice
I think that Nintendo should at least have 3v3 online or a 4v4. I know a lot of people who are good players and can really kick @$$ on teams. :chuckle: But too many people are saying that 4v4 is too much. :(

Top Bottom