• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

no more swimming

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
its kinda weird that sakuri would add swimming to brawl but then take it out i really have mixed feelings about this on one hand i kinda of glad swimming is gone because it will be easier to knock people out and on the other hand i would be easier to to just camp and use a back throw to them off the stage but they have to come back and they cant make it so here is a scenario we are on tortimer island and Mario is by the the edge and he is battling little mac Mario grabs little mac and swings him off the stage the will be no way he can make it maybe it will be in the final version and sakuri just did not add it in for the demo

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
No i miss swimming already, It was fun and made you think about Meteor Smashes more.

Perhaps if it was a critical hit you would go right through the water instead of floating back up everytime.

Or have certain characters have the ability to swim (Sonic lollll).

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
It is one of the few things I am indifferent about haha. It wasn't a groundbreaking addition or anything, but it did make the game a little more unique.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I miss swimming. Dang it, Sakurai! I have 2 stages in PM where I swim and now I have to adapt to this.

Maybe it isn't implemented yet?

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Sakurai probably figured swimming didn't really add anything to the game and made it easier to avoid fighting, especially in FFAs. I don't really mind it, as much as I enjoyed Pirate Ship in Brawl.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
From a canon standpoint, Charizard should've instantly lost a stock if it was knocked into water. :p

Eh, swimming was a non factor in most fights. I'm indifferent to it being removed.

All I do know is, because swimming is gone, Tortimer's Isle is competitively viable. And that is good in and of itself.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Are we certain its gone? Maybe its just not in the E3 build. Yeah there's a good chance its gone but we should still wait for the final build to confirm this. I would miss it tho, lose Jigglypuff's instant rest-rewaking up tech.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
From a canon standpoint, Charizard should've instantly lost a stock if it was knocked into water. :p

Eh, swimming was a non factor in most fights. I'm indifferent to it being removed.

All I do know is, because swimming is gone, Tortimer's Isle is competitively viable. And that is good in and of itself.

well we still have to wait for the final version and it could be that only tortimer island does not have swimming because in brawl pirate ship had swimming but that electroplankton stage did not so it could be just that

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Glad they axed out the swimming mechanic,it didn't really served a purpose other than to show off the swimming animations they made for the cast,but if there's one thing I have to say,it was hilarious when squirtle drowned,plz sakurai follow the canon material,next time. XD Rofl

Last edited:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Meh, I only used it to so I could pretend Squirtle was actually swimming. I do wish Jungle Japes had it though because there was barely that much room on the platforms and the water gave people a chance after being knocked down. Pirate Ship though, I think that could make it without it.

Jrodt333

Smash Rookie
I thought I heard that in the Wii U demo, it showed your swim time on the results screen. Maybe swimming is on the Wii U but not 3DS?

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
Good riddance. Just a useless mechanic that added nothing to the fighting, just slowed the game down imo.

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
The swimming mechanic didn't really feel all that necessary to me. Personally, I would prefer water mechanics to be similar to other platform games, such as Sonic and Mega Man, where the physics change when you are underwater. You would sink to the bottom, but things are more floaty overall. Maybe characters could have a breath meter where they instantly fall off screen and die when it runs out.

You would need a lot of water for something like that to work though. If they can't find a good way to implement it then they might as well ignore water mechanics entirely.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
Guess all of the Smash combatants ate too much before going on the battlefield. :chuckle:

But in all seriousness, I will miss it a bit. The removal of swimming does make some stages more competitively viable now (like Tortimer's Island if the fruit doesn't ban it). If Pirate Ship does return (I HOPE it does somehow), it will be a harder stage to stay alive on.

However....

I'm fine with it either way.

I'll just adapt.
Those are basically my thoughts as well. I'll adapt to whatever Smash 4 throws at me.

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615

I'll just adapt.

yeah i'll just deal with it i was just a little bothered by it i don't even think that will be that many stages with water in it anyway

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It is possible it was just not present in the demo. Or that it just isn't possible to swim on Tortimer's Island. If I recall correctly, it requires a wetsuit.

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
I never minded it.
There were times where it saved my ass so I praised it.
But there were also times where it saved my opponent so I cursed it.

Still cannot get over how Squirtle can drown.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Sakurai always removing things as usual.
There is just no pleasing you, is there?

Did swimming ever decide a match for you? Did it add anything to your experience? What about tripping? That was removed so are you upset about that? Really, I'm not sure why this is a big deal.

insomniac19

Smash Journeyman
It'll certainly be weird getting used to. Especially on stages like Tortimer's Island where you can't really see yourself at all when you're underwater.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
The only reason I'd ever want swimming to come back is if they actually implemented some sort of underwater combat.

Like, you get super-low gravity and infinite jumps underwater, but can also attack freely. Basically, make it like in Mario games, where you still have full control of your character, but the jumping is replaced by a slight upwards impulse.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Swimming has to be the feature I'm the most indifferent about. It was a cute little thing for a game but I don't mind its exclusion.

Last edited:

xxEliteAlicexx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xxEliteAlicexx
There is just no pleasing you, is there?

Did swimming ever decide a match for you? Did it add anything to your experience? What about tripping? That was removed so are you upset about that? Really, I'm not sure why this is a big deal.
I'm not trying to be that person, but all he said was that Sakurai is removing things as usual, it's not like he's insulting anyone. He never said anything about being upset about it, just saying.

On the other note, I like your profile picture.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Glad it's gone.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Swimming was cool. Drowning was even better. But I guess it makes competitive players angry.

It was an interesting thing to toy with but not a feature necessary to the gameplay by any means. A bit superfluous; I felt the same about gliding and crawling. Gliding seems to have been removed and I definitely won't miss accidentally activating it all the time.

I'll just adapt.
I wish that attitude was more common!

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
It was an interesting mechanic that was a nice cushion. I'm not going to miss it entirely but I would have love to see my goddess Palutena get wet.

I don't think Wii Fit Trainer's weave would last in the water because her weave is cheap.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
The only thing that bothers me about this is that, in the 3DS tournament, the clarity of where the edge was and where your character was when underwater didn't seem fully polished. I don't care for swimming, though; I'm glad it's gone. :p

Top Bottom