• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

no more swimming

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
No swimming? The usual Sakurai thing to do.

But it was probably a design choice, as there is going to be 1 or 2 levels that even have water. It's just a feature they didn't design levels around so it didn't make the cut.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Are you sure it was actually removed? Or was it simply not implemented yet? Something tells me it probably hadn't been implemented yet during that demo build....

Guess we will probably just have to wait and see for the final release...

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Seriously though if it's not returning adleast have a splash effect instead of just falling through it like it's a hologram.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I hope swimming returns. It was actually one of my favorite additions to Brawl not counting characters/stages.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Take a quick look at Japes in this video. You'll see Fox possibly thrown back by the water. I figured I'd add something helpful to the discussion.

D

Deleted member

If it is removed, I wouldn't mind it, since I rarely used that feature. But I guess it was cool for the rest, so I don't know.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I played Pirate Ship a fair amount, so I'll notice the absence. It was a nice touch, though not really significant overall. Ah well.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
. . . I'll be serious mad if swimming is removed. There's still stages with water so why would they remove it? I always went to stages like Delfino Plaza and the Pirate Ship. You know why? Because those were one of the few levels where I could actually swim!(The stages were great too though.) Ugh, stupid decision. There's many of those going around in this Smash already.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'd rather have swimming since in Melee, I hated falling into water. Yeah, you CAN recover, but it's a lot more difficult because your character is now hidden behind water with full opacity.

Last edited:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Seriously though if it's not returning adleast have a splash effect instead of just falling through it like it's a hologram.
If that is the case, then that supports the idea that it may just not be implemented yet. But it's just whatever for me.

Anthuhny

Smash Cadet
Im glad that swimming is out, why would you program animations and mechanics that would only take place on certain stages?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Swimming was highly detrimental to offstage play, removing the need for recovery and thus reducing player interaction. I hated it.
If it had been in stagebuilder we could have had floating water above ledges and that might have actually done some good for the recovery game instead. As was, however, nothing positive came of it.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Very relevant feature. Only few stages support water sections and it was a fun mechanic.

One of Smash Bros. best things it succeeds at is humor. There's no way I can have a session of Smash and not laugh. Not liking swimming is essentially the same as not liking the lower-left compact section in Hyrule Castle. Instead here, swimming is even more on the fair and non-cheap side.

Swimming for life.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'll be missing my aether > dair spikes with Ike but that's about it. Only water stage in brawl i played was delfino. Swimming was just a meteor smash fest so whatever.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Im glad that swimming is out, why would you program animations and mechanics that would only take place on certain stages?
Why would they even bother making different stages with distinct features. Fox only, no items, Final Destination amirite?

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
No swimming? Meh. :laugh:
Also, does the WiiU version have any stages that use water? So far I've just seen that DK stage and Tortimer Island stage that are just for 3DS.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Really? Just wouldn't expect water at a stage with the name of 'Skyloft'. :laugh:
Well, it's not too far up. High enough where the weather can still affect the area, so rain is possible. Does have a pond floating up there too.

Anyway, I didn't really care about it. Stages with water covering the fall zone didn't make spiking a good option. Albeit, there were hazards all over the place for most (not all) of the stages containing water.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
From a canon standpoint, Charizard should've instantly lost a stock if it was knocked into water. :p

Eh, swimming was a non factor in most fights. I'm indifferent to it being removed.

All I do know is, because swimming is gone, Tortimer's Isle is competitively viable. And that is good in and of itself.
Pokemon Origins he was able to be underwater for quiet a while.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Well, it's not too far up. High enough where the weather can still affect the area, so rain is possible. Does have a pond floating up there too.

Anyway, I didn't really care about it. Stages with water covering the fall zone didn't make spiking a good option. Albeit, there were hazards all over the place for most (not all) of the stages containing water.
Yeah, I was never a fan of the swimming mechanic either.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
If swimming is gone, then a underwater level is now a possibility?
I think we might get a Steel Divers stage, in the Japan trailer of smash 3DS it showed a Steel Divers trophy that looks molded after a stage. And Sakurai has stated some stages have trophies.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528

Take a quick look at Japes in this video. You'll see Fox possibly thrown back by the water. I figured I'd add something helpful to the discussion.
Japes has always behaved this way - the water carried you with momentum flowing left, and when you jumped you had that momentum as an affect on the movement.

Japes water didn't behave the same so I don't think it counts.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
If any poke in the Charmander line has their tail fire go out they will die. The fire cannot burn underwater due to lack of readily available oxygen for combustion. Therefore Charizard cannot swim with his tail below the surface for even a second.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
If any poke in the Charmander line has their tail fire go out they will die. The fire cannot burn underwater due to lack of readily available oxygen for combustion. Therefore Charizard cannot swim with his tail below the surface for even a second.
Underwater Stage Confirmed.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Hey, no putting logic in Smash Bros! :laugh:

Top Bottom