• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No more good games for Wii now?

Darkslash

Smash Master
T

Lol, "Geeks and otaku". No matter where you come at it, it was a stupid thing to say. I also agree with the rest of what you said.

Honestly, the Wii is a piece of ****. If it wasn't also my brothers and Melee I would have got rid of it by now. I got a PS3 now and I'm quite happy with it.
Advanced physics, Smart AI, Amazing graphics, Great online > Great controls

I don't think are that great anyway, not enough buttons.

And since the Wii is so underpowered, don't expect all the multiplatform games to come to the Wii also. And even if it does, it will be dumbed down to crap. The Wii just can't handle it. The fact that one of the greatest games on the wii are PS2 ports(RE4, Bully, Okami) aids my point even more.

Nintendo have shifted to the casuals.

My advice to every Hardcore Wii owner: Stop supporting Nintendo and get a real console.
So far the Only REAL Next gen console is the Wii. Graphics don't define a next gen. If your using the same bloody control's every Genteration it not gonna feel Next Generation at all. And if your gonna talk about great AI or advance Physics please look at Haze or Lair, 2 overhyped PS3 games which made it look like Total Crap. the only game i would geta PS3 for is MGS4. Maybe for Killzone or Resistance. But i don't find a PS2 on Steroids hard core

Red Exodus

Smash Master
So far the Only REAL Next gen console is the Wii. Graphics don't define a next gen. If your using the same bloody control's every Genteration it not gonna feel Next Generation at all. And if your gonna talk about great AI or advance Physics please look at Haze or Lair, 2 overhyped PS3 games which made it look like Total Crap. the only game i would geta PS3 for is MGS4. Maybe for Killzone or Resistance. But i don't find a PS2 on Steroids hard core
Could you be more biased? I understand PS3 and 360 have their problems but to go as far as calling them last gen is biased beyond belief.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Honestly, IMO, people shouldn't downtrot the PS3 and Xbox360 anymore. They're both starting to look a little good now.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Honestly, IMO, people shouldn't downtrot the PS3 and Xbox360 anymore. They're both starting to look a little good now.

Microsoft has released newer, better versions of the Xbox 360 that don't break once in a blue moon? I agree with the PS3 shaping up, MGS4 FTW. I am still going to keep my Wii. At the very least, Brawl, Galaxy, and Radiant Dawn have some good VG music :p.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
The Wii is DEFINITELY going to still be getting good games. Developers are finally beginning to realize that the Wii is the best console for FPSs, and that's the genre that the other consoles seem to be defined by. It's only a matter of time before we've got some killer apps for that little white lump over there. <3

Not only will the Wii be getting Spore, but we're going to be rocking a new Tales of Symphonia game, the Conduit (Yhy do we like the developer? Because they're trying. Look at what Bungie was doing before Halo.), Samba de Amigo, Animals de la Muerte, a non-announced but definitely coming new Pikmin and Animal Crossing, Tiger Woods 2009, the COMPLETE version of Guitar Hero: World Tour, de Blob, and lord only knows what else. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are completely defined by the FPSs and shooters that they get. With a few exceptions, there's no innovation. If you like shooters (I do, but not exclusively) then that's fine, but with one of those consoles then that's pretty much all you're going to be getting.

It's going to get even better once it catches on that traditional "motion" controls don't work nearly as well as the IR feature. Get rid of the waggle and let me aim!

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and Mega Man 9 on WiiWare. HELLS YES.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Could you be more biased? I understand PS3 and 360 have their problems but to go as far as calling them last gen is biased beyond belief.
I'm not Calling them Last Gen. If they control the same way as last Gen its gonna feel Like Last Gen. PS3 has Sixaxis but its still mostly controlled the same way as last Gen. Though they starting to unlock the full Potential of it.

AND HELL YA RETRO MEGA MAN 9 WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO.

And did you see the new Xbox360 price? I think its getting Old :ohwell: its like $299.99

BentoBox

Smash Master
Because controls define generations and not the quality of the games themselves. Sure. Now that you mention it, the PS3 does feel a lot like the PS. Yarily.

@derek: The Wii doesn't have a single FPS that can stand up to Halo and never will for one simple reason: online. (and the sheer size of most games which forces developers to rehash ps2 versions onto the wii, win) The novelty effect quickly wears off when most 3rd party games end up being half-*****. Same goes for the non-existant innovation when the only thing that really changed is the fact that you can save up a few seconds by aiming directly at the screen (TP, wii vs gc). It would be in Nintendo's best interest to develop a new controller which doesn't incorporate motion sensing so devs can stop focusing all of their time and energy on it. Having a Wii is like having your own arcade machine.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The hypocrisy here is so thick you can cut it with a knife. :chuckle:
I accept each consoles strengths and weaknesses, I don't see how that makes me a hypocrite. If I had steady income I'd buy all 3 system eventually but I don't so right now I only have a Wii, if anything that makes me poor.

I'm not Calling them Last Gen. If they control the same way as last Gen its gonna feel Like Last Gen. PS3 has Sixaxis but its still mostly controlled the same way as last Gen. Though they starting to unlock the full Potential of it.

AND HELL YA RETRO MEGA MAN 9 WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOO.

And did you see the new Xbox360 price? I think its getting Old :ohwell: its like $299.99
It's really hard to define next gen because it's subjective, a lot of people refer to it as anything on the new consoles so when something on the new consoles reminds them of games on the old consoles [be it bad graphics, poor AI, bad pacing or poor control] they call it last gen.

Gameplay seems to be the more defining aspect of this gen, sure there are those pretty games out there but after the eye candy fades people judge the game more accurately. This happened with Crysis, people said it had the best graphics they've ever seen but after a while it came down to gameplay and people found that it was mediocre.

Graphics, gameplay and control go hand in hand and it's a tough balancing act, it just comes down to creativity and innovation.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Halo is not the best FPS ever and certainly not the best of this generation. The only people I know calling it good are those who were already jacking off nightly to the box art before release.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I accept each consoles strengths and weaknesses, I don't see how that makes me a hypocrite. If I had steady income I'd buy all 3 system eventually but I don't so right now I only have a Wii, if anything that makes me poor.
Well okay then, you're off my (nonexistent) hate list. :p

BentoBox

Smash Master
Halo is not the best FPS ever and certainly not the best of this generation. The only people I know calling it good are those who were already jacking off nightly to the box art before release.
I've played Halo 3 times in my life and yet I do not know of many more console-based FPSes that have the potential of getting as far competitively. Please do name some. Also, Brawl is far from being the gem we'd been hoping for, and both games are quite alike in the sense that they're both games that we'd hoped would be played during the few next years.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Neither the Xbox 360 nor the PS3 have enough games on them to make me want to buy them.
Are you kidding me? They have a LOT of good quality games. More than the Wii could ever wish for.

So far the Only REAL Next gen console is the Wii. Graphics don't define a next gen. If your using the same bloody control's every Generation it not gonna feel Next Generation at all. And if your gonna talk about great AI or advance Physics please look at Haze or Lair, 2 overhyped PS3 games which made it look like Total Crap. the only game i would geta PS3 for is MGS4. Maybe for Killzone or Resistance. But i don't find a PS2 on Steroids hard core
Graphics don't define next gen. But there a big part of next gen.
Controls aren't the ONLY innovation y'know. Sony and Microsoft might not be innovative in controls. But they sure are innovative in Gameplay, Online, Graphics and more.
Haze and Lair sucked. But there only two games and shouldn't be an example.
Great examples would be Resistance, Virtua Fighter 5, Motorstorm, Ninja Gaiden, Warhawk, Dirt, Skate, COD4, Uncharted, Unreal tournament, Burnout paradise, DMC 4, GTA IV, Grid, MGS4, Battlefield BC. And LBP, Resistence 2, Killzone 2, SOCOM.

And guess what. None of these are on Wii.

The Wii is DEFINITELY going to still be getting good games. Developers are finally beginning to realize that the Wii is the best console for FPSs, and that's the genre that the other consoles seem to be defined by.
The Wii is not the best console for FPSs. Period.
It's underpowered, has crappy online. Best console FPS controls? Maybe. It doesn't have enough buttons for a modern FPS IMO.

Not only will the Wii be getting Spore
Which will suck(the wii version).

The PS3 and Xbox 360 are completely defined by the FPSs and shooters that they get. With a few exceptions, there's no innovation. If you like shooters (I do, but not exclusively) then that's fine, but with one of those consoles then that's pretty much all you're going to be getting.
No they are NOT defined by the Shooters and it's not all you're going to get. See the list I posted above.
I'll say it yet another time. Great controls aren't the only innovation.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
I've never even heard of two of those, I despise racing and sports games, and FPS bore me to tears. Some of the others don't interest me at all, either.

Oh well. Continue on with the console war.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Are you kidding me? They have a LOT of good quality games. More than the Wii could ever wish for.

Great examples would be Resistance, Virtua Fighter 5, Motorstorm, Ninja Gaiden, Warhawk, Dirt, Skate, COD4, Uncharted, Unreal tournament, Burnout paradise, DMC 4, GTA IV, Grid, MGS4, Battlefield BC. And LBP, Resistence 2, Killzone 2, SOCOM.
On that list the Only PS3 games there are

Resistance
Motorstorm
Warhawk
uncharted
MGS4
Resistance 2
Killzone 2
SOCOM

The Other Games Are All Multiplatform and would not really count as games that define the PS3. Motorstorm didn't look like what they showed at E3, War Hawk is just a remake with no single player , Uncharted has no online, Resistance is mediocre at best(tried it got bored 5 minutes into the game). The only games i see my self playing on the PS3 is MGS4. Maybe Killzone 2 if they don't **** it up this time, and maybe resistance if they manage to pull of their Multiplayer claims. SOCOM is going to be 3rd person, and i don't really like 3rd person.

And how the hell are you going to say the Wii version of Spore is gonna be bad? You havn't tried it yet and your saying its bad. Please, thats Fanboyism right there.
I may enjoy making pokemon on it :D

All those titles you mention 12 of them are Multi platform.

And the PC i wouldn't really count as a console. So the Wii takes the cake as the best FPS console, But then the cake is a lie. I will agree the PC is the best at handling the FPS genre. And this is my own opinion. It may sound Fanboyish but at least i got some reasons backing it up.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
I've never even heard of two of those, I despise racing and sports games, and FPS bore me to tears. Some of the others don't interest me at all, either.

Oh well. Continue on with the console war.
What do you like then?

On that list the Only PS3 games there are

Resistance
Motorstorm
Warhawk
uncharted
MGS4
Resistance 2
Killzone 2
SOCOM

The Other Games Are All Multiplatform and would not really count as games that define the PS3. Motorstorm didn't look like what they showed at E3, War Hawk is just a remake with no single player , Uncharted has no online, Resistance is mediocre at best(tried it got bored 5 minutes into the game). The only games i see my self playing on the PS3 is MGS4. Maybe Killzone 2 if they don't **** it up this time, and maybe resistance if they manage to pull of their Multiplayer claims. SOCOM is going to be 3rd person, and i don't really like 3rd person.

And how the hell are you going to say the Wii version of Spore is gonna be bad? You haven't tried it yet and your saying its bad. Please, thats Fanboyism right there.
I may enjoy making pokemon on it :D

All those titles you mention 12 of them are Multi platform.

And the PC i wouldn't really count as a console. So the Wii takes the cake as the best FPS console, But then the cake is a lie. I will agree the PC is the best at handling the FPS genre. And this is my own opinion. It may sound Fanboyish but at least i got some reasons backing it up.
They maybe Multiplatform but there still on the PS3, can be played on the PS3 and a reason to buy a PS3. And If you think those are crap what does that make of Wii games? I agree that Motorstorm was a disappointment(still good though) but it has great physics and that's why I put it there Since DarkSlash set Haze and Lair as an example of advanced physics and smart AI. The list is about games that have advanced physics and AI. I left out a lot of other games too.

I said spore will suck on wii because I don't think the wii could handle the undumbed down engine.

And try to be more open minded, people.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Hypocrisy...thick.....cut....knife. <_<
I was a Nintendo fan since the SNES days. Never bought anything BUT a Nintendo systems. I really tried to give the Wii a chance. I'm not saying it's completely useless. But the other consoles are far superior.

Everything except FPSs, racers and sports games... ?
Woosh.
Well, the PS3 has that. :/

Darkslash

Smash Master
if they are Multi platform, Im going out to get the Cheaper system. Sure it won't look as good, but im getting the same game at a lower price. Im not gonna spend around 499.99 for Call of Duty 4 or GTAIV, when i can get it for a cheaper price with the Xbox 360.

Its just that the PS3 is not living up to my expectations. The Wii surprisingly did. And i was a fan of Nintendo of the SNES age(Acttualy I was born in the SNES days) too but i got a NES first lol.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I was a Nintendo fan since the SNES days. Never bought anything BUT a Nintendo systems. I really tried to give the Wii a chance. I'm not saying it's completely useless. But the other consoles are far superior.
And other people have different opinions saying the Wii is superior. Unless you're gonna die from someone thinking that, it's not really a big deal.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
And other people have different opinions saying the Wii is superior. Unless you're gonna die from someone thinking that, it's not really a big deal.
I really tried the defend the Wii back then. But now I see it in a different way. Most of the people I see that defended the Wii were a bit ignorant.

Please tell me, how is the Wii superior in those people eyes?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
When I used to be a Nintendo fan I was really picky about my games, I remember arguing with my friends about how PS2 and Xbox were crap just because I didn't like them and they'd say the same thing about GC for the same reason [we were 11]. It took us a while to accept that just because we don't like the games doesn't mean it is bad, a lot of people seem to that.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Who's getting the Star Wars: Clone Wars Lightsaber Duels game this fall? Who's getting Castlevania Judgement? Who's getting Mushroom Men? Who's getting the all new, NES-style Mega Man 9? Wii are.

And don't forget, those are all 3rd party games. The 1st party games will be unveiled at E3, so I think the last two quarters of this year will belong to the Wii. I'm actually excited for the Wii now, despite my recently strewn opposition. Nintendo has held off, but we're about to get kicked in the face with a lot of great gaming.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Who's getting the Star Wars: Clone Wars Lightsaber Duels game this fall? Who's getting Castlevania Judgement? Who's getting Mushroom Men? Who's getting the all new, NES-style Mega Man 9? Wii are.

And don't forget, those are all 3rd party games. The 1st party games will be unveiled at E3, so I think the last two quarters of this year will belong to the Wii. I'm actually excited for the Wii now, despite my recently strewn opposition. Nintendo has held off, but we're about to get kicked in the face with a lot of great gaming.
You also forgot about some Other games. Force Unleashed is the only version thats getting Duel Mode. There's Skate it which is spin off but a original game. The Sky Crawlers(which will hopefully be released in NA) which looks nice, and being made by the Ace Combat team. Call of Duty World at War even though is multi platform will get 2player Co-Op,Online AND *surprise* is not a port..wait what?

Spire

III
BRoomer
You also forgot about some Other games. Force Unleashed is the only version thats getting Duel Mode. There's Skate it which is spin off but a original game. The Sky Crawlers(which will hopefully be released in NA) which looks nice, and being made by the Ace Combat team. Call of Duty World at War even though is multi platform will get 2player Co-Op,Online AND *surprise* is not a port..wait what?
Well, I just pointed out some Wii-exclusives, but yeah, there's a growing number of great Wii titles coming out this year.

Krome Studios - the developers of the Force Unleashed - are also developing the Clone Wars Lightsaber Duels game - kind of as a mastered version of their Duel mode in Unleashed. I'm really excited about this year now. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, Mushroom Men (most anticipated title of mine), Clone Wars: LD, Force Unleashed, ETCETERA ETCETERA. It's been an okay year, but will soon become one of the Wii's golden years.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I really tried the defend the Wii back then. But now I see it in a different way. Most of the people I see that defended the Wii were a bit ignorant.

Please tell me, how is the Wii superior in those people eyes?
Like I know. I can't read their minds. I also have no next gen console myself. =/

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
The Wii is different from the PS3 and XBox 360 in that it's bringing back and revitializing everything that is nostaglic. For the PS3 and XBox 360, their games are upgrades and sequels. For the Wii, its an experience of memories and living these memories with the present and its people.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
The Wii is not the best console for FPSs. Period.
It's underpowered, has crappy online. Best console FPS controls? Maybe. It doesn't have enough buttons for a modern FPS IMO.
Between the Wiimote and the Nunchuck, there are 8 buttons not including Home or the D-Pad. I'm not sure exactly what games you're playing, but modern FPSs do not need 20 buttons to be playable.

Underpowered? Maybe in a modern sense, but it's still perfectly capable of upper-level XBOX graphics (if developers would give them to us). And the online isn't perfect, but Metal of Honor Heroes 2 still had a 32-player deathmatch online. I'm not sure what else you want.

lumberheartwood said:
The Wii is different from the PS3 and XBox 360 in that it's bringing back and revitializing everything that is nostaglic. For the PS3 and XBox 360, their games are upgrades and sequels. For the Wii, its an experience of memories and living these memories with the present and its people.
Exactly. It's like Will Wright said, the PS3 and the XBOX 360 feel like little more than upgraded versions of their predecessors. The Wii is the only current console doing anything different, trying something new. And I have to say that it has resoundingly succeeded.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Between the Wiimote and the Nunchuck, there are 8 buttons not including Home or the D-Pad. I'm not sure exactly what games you're playing, but modern FPSs do not need 20 buttons to be playable.
You can't reach most of them in the heat of battle(lol). You can only reach the A, B, C, Z, And down on the d-pad. That's 5 buttons... I guess that's kinda enough(okay, sorry, I was wrong).

Underpowered? Maybe in a modern sense, but it's still perfectly capable of upper-level XBOX graphics (if developers would give them to us). And the online isn't perfect, but Metal of Honor Heroes 2 still had a 32-player deathmatch online. I'm not sure what else you want.
Underpowered in the modern sense is still a problem. It's the reason why so many multiplatform games don't get to the Wii. That's why Wii misses out on A LOT! And I mean A LOT!

derek.haines

Smash Ace
Underpowered in the modern sense is still a problem. It's the reason why so many multiplatform games don't get to the Wii. That's why Wii misses out on A LOT! And I mean A LOT!
[/quote]

I'm really glad for that. Most multiplatform games have a single console that they're really meant to be played on, and all of the others end up feeling tacked-on. Even when the Wii DOES get a multiplatform game, it normally ends up feeling incredibly gimped...at least it has up until this point. Guitar Hero: World Tour is going to change that, as Wii owners are getting exactly the experience that the other two consoles are getting.

I'd go for an exclusive game for the Wii any day than a crapped out version of something like Call of Duty just so I can pretend I'm getting anything close to the same game that those other guys are getting. If I want to play Metal Gear Solid, I'm going to play it on the PS3, I don't want it ported over here under any circumstances (even if the Wii could handle it graphically). That's the system it was made for, so that's what I want to play it on.

Now, that logic doesn't hold under ALL situations, such as where the Wii ends up getting a superior port, but for the most part a game is designed with one system in mind and that's what it should be played on. And, a lot of games designed with the Wii in mind are **** good.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, the wii isn't anything special or all that different. The motion sensor sounded like a good idea at first. It however has been implemented poorly into games. Swinging your sword in TP can be done the same as pressing a button, there are several examples of this in wii games. Even some games like brawl for instance ignore motion sensor almost entirely.

Another problem is the controller or should I say controllers. If you want to play most VC games, you'll need to use a gamecube or classic controller. That's extra money to spend. Plus you have to plug them into your system/wiimote each time you want to use them. Then you have the nunchuk as another controller on top of that. Then if you want to play wii fit, pay lots of money for the balance board. The console has too many gimmicks and accessories that shouldn't have been needed in the first place.

How many controllers do you need the 360 and PS3 have? One controller will let you do everything you want. No wires, nothing to plug in, no fiddling. There are optional controllers, but you don't HAVE to buy them.

When it comes down to it, the wii isn't much different from other consoles. It just doesn't have as many good games to choose from (in my opinion, obviously) or have nearly as many features as the 360 or ps3.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
The thing is, the wii isn't anything special or all that different. The motion sensor sounded like a good idea at first. It however has been implemented poorly into games. Swinging your sword in TP can be done the same as pressing a button, there are several examples of this in wii games. Even some games like brawl for instance ignore motion sensor almost entirely.

Another problem is the controller or should I say controllers. If you want to play most VC games, you'll need to use a gamecube or classic controller. That's extra money to spend. Plus you have to plug them into your system/wiimote each time you want to use them. Then you have the nunchuk as another controller on top of that. Then if you want to play wii fit, pay lots of money for the balance board. The console has too many gimmicks and accessories that shouldn't have been needed in the first place.

How many controllers do you need the 360 and PS3 have? One controller will let you do everything you want. No wires, nothing to plug in, no fiddling. There are optional controllers, but you don't HAVE to buy them.

When it comes down to it, the wii isn't much different from other consoles. It just doesn't have as many good games to choose from (in my opinion, obviously) or have nearly as many features as the 360 or ps3.
While the controller situation can get a bit out of hand at times, for the most part it seems to exist solely to give gamers more options, not to force them into spending more money. Wii Fit exists BECAUSE the balance board does, there'd be no point in playing Wii Fit without it--there's nothing to play. And, I don't think $20 for a Classic Controller is asking too much at all.

The Wiimote by itself has proven extremely versatile, far moreso than either the PS3 or XBOX 360 controller. It can be used pointing at the screen, on it's side to simulate a NES controller, or with the box-in Nunchuck to add a joystick. Almost every single game (minus wii fit) for the Wii enables you to use either just the Wiimote or the Wiimote and the Nunchuck--both of the which come with the console. There's nothing else to buy if you don't want to.

I'll agree with you on the whole "Waggle to replace a button press" idea. If a motion control doesn't add to the experience like it did in Mario Galaxy or Wii Sports, I don't think it should be used. But the pointer controls have revolutionized gaming and added an unprecedented level of control to the games that use them. Just look at Metroid Prime's aiming system or the upcoming Madden '09's Call Your Shots system. Pointer controls are genuinely valuable to gaming, and are not doable on other consoles with what they have now.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
I'm really glad for that. Most multiplatform games have a single console that they're really meant to be played on, and all of the others end up feeling tacked-on. Even when the Wii DOES get a multiplatform game, it normally ends up feeling incredibly gimped
And whos fault is that? Nintendo. They made their system so underpowered that it wouldn't be able to run a lot of this generation games.

Imagine if we would get games like COD4, Oblivion, GTA IV, DMC 4. The Wii wouldn't suck anymore. Imagine all those+Motion controls

derek.haines

Smash Ace
And whos fault is that? Nintendo. They made their system so underpowered that it wouldn't be able to run a lot of this generation games.

Imagine if we would get games like COD4, Oblivion, GTA IV, DMC 4. The Wii wouldn't suck anymore. Imagine all those+Motion controls

I'm not exactly sure why anybody would prefer those over a game built from the ground up for the Wii. If the Wii got those then it'd just be last-generation all over again--every game comes out on every platform. We live in a multi-platform world, and I don't have to get every single game on my Wii to be happy. If I want to play Devil May Cry 4, I'm going to do so on a PS3. If I want Oblivion, I'll launch up a 360. If I want to play Super Mario Galaxy, I bust out a Wii. I don't need them for the Wii, I've got plenty of exclusives over here already, and they're doing just fine right where they are.

Top Bottom