• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No female newcomer (zss don't count)

Charoo

Smash Champion
this is probably the only thing I don't understand about the 35 roster. How come Sakurai didn't add in any new female characters at all? I'm sure someone in his work team must have bring it up somewhere.

Don't bring in the "Sakurai never said he wanted more female" quote. Im just talking about the representation of female brawlers. There should have been more.

Technically, the only female newcomers we have are ZSS (access through final smash and isn't a separate character), and sheik with more feminine look.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
If they add Wolf before they add Krystal I have really been thinking too highly of them.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Peach brought the frying pan with her. Zelda stealthed in as shiek.

Guess Krystal's alibi wasn't enough. >_>

Shuma

Smash Hero
He also said more Villains, he also said more Metroid Representation, he also said the game would be released the 3rd of December.

drengist

Smash Journeyman
I agree. I was sure there would be more female characters, but no dice. I guess there's a good reason for it.

soulz

Smash Cadet
There aren't that many worthy female characters to put in.
But i did want another female in, just to spice it up. Krystal could have been interesting and if they had more sonic characters, possibly amy, but not before tails or knuckles though. Even dixie would have been alright, she could be a clone of diddy. Or even Micaiah, but they chose not to.
I'm just a bit disappointed there isn't any more than 35, 40 would be ideal. But maybe for the next game (new console after wii ,seems like the smash bros release pattern)

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Yeah, it's a big shame, but in SSB4 we will hopefully get everything that was meant to be in Brawl :p

Lucas, Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit (sorta) and Wario should have been in Melee

Ridley, Krystal, Geno etc were meant to be in Brawl.

There's a pattern here :laugh: thankfully only the most obscure characters will be missing next time. :p If there IS a next time.

kenhead

Smash Apprentice
Is it true that toon link (windwaker), Ganon (windwaker), falco, game and watch, captain falcon, and luigi are all confirmed for brawl.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Well... This is supposed to be a guy's game after all...

I'm okay with this roster (only one I ever really wanted was Ike and then Micaiah) but I wish there was a bit more.

bluethree

Smash Journeyman
He also said more Villains, he also said more Metroid Representation
He never said either of those. People just keep putting words into Sakurai's mouth.

There aren't that many worthy female characters to put in.
Listen to this man. There just aren't any female characters in Nintendo history that aren't in the game already that really matter. Krystal seemed like a forced female character in the Star Fox series and it'd feel the same way about Smash. Wolf has played a much bigger role in the series.

I can't really speak for Fire Emblem or Golden Sun though since I've never played either of those series. Obviously none of the characters from them can be considered iconic though, as a lot of the newcomers to Brawl can, considering the casual gamer doesn't even know of them.

ZeldaFox38

Smash Lord
Seriously, I thought I killed Wolf in Star Fox 64. Why'd Assault bring him back? I never got why he was so cool. Maybe I'm that lame.

I'm a little bummed out about this too. Not enough to cancel the game or anything, but I thought maybe Lyn or Krystal would have gotten in as something other than Assist Trophies. I'm disappointed, but I know I probably shouldn't be.

Maybe the next best solution is hacking. . .

Alexandr

Smash Rookie
Hey, Charoo. I think you have to consider ZSS as a complete and true newcomer now that we know we CAN select her from the start without having to do the FS.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
There is technically no reason that Ivysaur, Charizard, Squirtle or Lucario can't be female (or Pikachu for that matter). Yes, they are almost always referred to as male, but it's not like the gender differences are that extreme.

hypeman

Smash Apprentice
I'm a snake, marth, and zelda in training.
I think what he could have done (even thought I was a Micaiah supporter) was at least add lyn as a lugified clone of marth, I mean we have Wolf and Falco that are clones of Fox and use the same FS. Also As I recall I don't ever remember seeing Wolf using a landmaster in any of the Starfox games.

bryloom

Smash Rookie
Yeah, it's a big shame, but in SSB4 we will hopefully get everything that was meant to be in Brawl :p

Lucas, Dedede, Meta Knight, Pit (sorta) and Wario should have been in Melee

Ridley, Krystal, Geno etc were meant to be in Brawl.

There's a pattern here :laugh: thankfully only the most obscure characters will be missing next time. :p If there IS a next time.
And IIRC Bowser, Ganondorf and a Fire Emblem character (Marth, Roy) were meant to be in 64.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord

I'm okay with this roster (only one I ever really wanted was Ike and then Micaiah) but I wish there was a bit more.
Yeah and most guys like chicks.

Seriously though Macaiah and Krystal should have been playable.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
How does she count? She's still the same person, for the same reason Sheik and Zelda don't count as one. We are talking about more character representatives. This is coming from people who enjoy the characters and have followed their character's development throughout their franchises. Heck, I even look at Link as a Newcomer seeing as this Link wasn't in the other two Smash titles.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Says who :p

Yeah I'm a little bummed out that they debatedly did not introduce even one new female playable character. There was opportunity for some interesting movesets (Krystal, Micaiah, any of the Golden Sun girls (not that that game got any playable character representation)). I'm not gonna complain about Wolf taking Krystal's spot or whatever though. My feeling is that it wasn't "Should I put Wolf in or someone else?" I feel like it's more along the lines that either we were gonna get a clone like Wolf or no one to replace his absence at all.

iluvnintendo1983

Smash Journeyman
Wolf getting in over Krystal was the biggest shock to me. I think just about everyone expected her to be in Brawl. Every single fake character screen shot and fake roster I came across had her in it. Even before Wolf was finally unlocked yesterday, Brawl Central was making the call that it would end up being Krystal instead.

Top Bottom