• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm going with my boy Falcon. As a fan of a forgotten Nintendo series cut down in its prime, I hard relate to Mother fans.

As for friendship, yeah I think I met Ani October-ish. It was just before the Grinch Leak became big. At the time, Mother was just "that weird Nintendo RPG" to me. Didn't know a whole lot about it beyond the demo in Smash 4 for Earthbound. It was thanks to her I've shown an interest in the series and found out about its reputation. See, I'm actually pretty bad when it comes to attention span (if the game is longer than thirty hours, I'm liable to quit), and I usually just skip over all RPG's on principle based on that. From what I've played from Mother 1 and Earthbound, that's not the case.

Last edited:

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
I will say this about Ninten, though I won't spoil anything from the PowerPoint: I'm more confident of Ninten's chances than I have ever been for a Smash fighter, and I was pretty huge on Rayman a few months ago. A lot of stuff adds up that just seems like a Sakurai move.

D

Deleted member

I will say this about Ninten, though I won't spoil anything from the PowerPoint: I'm more confident of Ninten's chances than I have ever been for a Smash fighter, and I was pretty huge on Rayman a few months ago. A lot of stuff adds up that just seems like a Sakurai move.
I'm really confident in Ninten as well. Also nice Captain Falcon pfp lol

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
I'm really confident in Ninten as well. Also nice Captain Falcon pfp lol
Once again, this is an Ani pic. I wish I had found this glorious Falcon picture, but I didn't.

I don't think you understand the extent of the suspicions I have on Ninten. I have literally thousands of messages exchanged with Ani just going down the rabbit hole with Ninten. Something stinks, and it ain't Master Belch.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'm going with my boy Falcon. As a fan of a forgotten Nintendo series cut down in its prime, I hard relate to Mother fans.

As for friendship, yeah I think I met Ani October-ish. It was just before the Grinch Leak became big. At the time, Mother was just "that weird Nintendo RPG" to me. Didn't know a whole lot about it beyond the demo in Smash 4 for Earthbound. It was thanks to her I've shown an interest in the series and found out about its reputation. See, I'm actually pretty bad when it comes to attention span (if the game is longer than thirty hours, I'm liable to quit), and I usually just skip over all RPG's on principle based on that. From what I've played from Mother 1 and Earthbound, that's not the case.
October sounds about right. That's when Chris did the Ninten vid and that got a lot of attention somehow. Seriously. Didn't expect to be a minor celebrity on here when I joined lulz. Your Rayman powerpoint went up like a week later I think? I remember getting pissed because Chris uploaded a leak vid right after killing any traction it would have gotten. There was like a ton of those suckers that barely got any traction.

Anyways, welcome to the Boards bro! If you have any questions we'd be happy to answer. :ness:

Once again, this is an Ani pic. I wish I had found this glorious Falcon picture, but I didn't.

I don't think you understand the extent of the suspicions I have on Ninten. I have literally thousands of messages exchanged with Ani just going down the rabbit hole with Ninten. Something stinks, and it ain't Master Belch.
1558737253253.png

I'm sorry I had to.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Howdy, I'm Teochard. A few disclaimers and notes.

First off, I've--er--never actually have finished a Mother game. Farthest I've gotten is Moonside-ish in Earthbound, though I know the general gist of the plots and such of each game. So if I'm just wrong about something I say in this thread, please do correct me.

Why haven't I played a Mother yet? Tbh, I've been expecting a Mother Collection for this year, and I'm holding out to see if that happens first. I do have interest, just want to support the series if I can instead of buying it elsewhere where it won't send a signal to Nintendo to support the series.

Yeah, I'm pretty new to the Mother series. Not sure if that makes me a bandwagoner, but hey, what's another body for the Ninten Army? Eventually, I'll finish all three games.

Finally, I'm a friend of the Anigriffin. I'm the one that's been helping her with the Ninten stuff recently and I just made an account here.

With that, let's enjoy this and see what we can do for the little boy!
A friend of Ani is a friend of mine. Welcome!

On the topic of a Mother collection, I wouldn't hold my breath. But whatever happens, at least we can legally purchase two thirds of the franchise, only on the Wii U Virtual Console!

(Who'd have thought the Wii U would have such great exclusives hiding under our noses)

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
October sounds about right. That's when Chris did the Ninten vid and that got a lot of attention somehow. Seriously. Didn't expect to be a minor celebrity on here when I joined lulz. Your Rayman powerpoint went up like a week later I think? I remember getting pissed because Chris uploaded a leak vid right after killing any traction it would have gotten. There was like a ton of those suckers that barely got any traction.

Anyways, welcome to the Boards bro! If you have any questions we'd be happy to answer. :ness:

View attachment 224323

I'm sorry I had to.
I'm just glad it wasn't me that stinks.

All jokes aside, I'm resigned to wait on Rayman. However, Ninten has a real shot, and gosh darn it, I'm going to let people know. Too much is lining up, and I'm going to work to make sure that Ninten is the first character since Melee that I wanted that joined Smash.

D

Deleted member

(Who'd have thought the Wii U would have such great exclusives hiding under our noses)
This is pretty much why I think the WiiU is kinda underrated lol. You can play lost of different RPGs like the first two Mother games especially.

But yeah, regardless, I'm confident of Mother coming back to the Switch

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
This is pretty much why I think the WiiU is kinda underrated lol. You can play lost of different RPGs like the first two Mother games especially.

But yeah, regardless, I'm confident of Mother coming back to the Switch
Again, I don't want to spoil too many secrets, but I have reasons to suspect that Itoi has at least considered the possibility of a Mother Collection as far back as 2014. And we all know Mother always goes through development hell. Five years to develop a Mother Collection sounds right to me, especially considering the track record of Mother development cycles.

D

Deleted member

Again, I don't want to spoil too many secrets, but I have reasons to suspect that Itoi has at least considered the possibility of a Mother Collection as far back as 2014. And we all know Mother always goes through development hell. Five years to develop a Mother Collection sounds right to me, especially considering the track record of Mother development cycles.
Especially if it's a Mother trilogy remake. It would look awesome if it's remade in the art style for the Link's Awakening remake, and I think the LA remake could be a test game for a Mother trilogy remake.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Especially if it's a Mother trilogy remake. It would look awesome if it's remade in the art style for the Link's Awakening remake, and I think the LA remake could be a test game for a Mother trilogy remake.
There is some things involving the Link's Awakening remake that doesn't sit with me. Especially with A Link Between Worlds Zelda in Smash, why not have the Link's Awakening remake continue in the ALBW storyline and use that artstyle?

I'm just saying, perhaps it isn't just Aonuma returning to his roots in 2019.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
There is some things involving the Link's Awakening remake that doesn't sit with me. Especially with A Link Between Worlds Zelda in Smash, why not have the Link's Awakening remake continue in the ALBW storyline and use that artstyle?

I'm just gonna say that it's absolutely surreal seeing you post on Smashboards lmao.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
I'm just gonna say that it's absolutely surreal seeing you post on Smashboards lmao.
You'd be shocked for the differences between Mother and Link's Awakening. For one, they're both parodies in a lot of ways. Mother constantly parodies the real world, and developers described the development as almost like making a parody for Zelda itself. Then there's the finding the eight musical pieces to sing a song to a powerful being, a clear parallel to the Eight Melodies. Heck, the Wind Fish is on the top of the freaking mountain. Marin, vocalist of the Ballad of the Wind Fish, has a similar name and even looks somewhat like Queen Mary, creator of the Eight Melodies.

Is it a coincidence that Aonuma chose Link's Awakening to remake of all games, especially when we just hit the Ocarina of Time 20th anniversary?

D

Deleted member

Man, I didn't even know that.

But I get goosebumps when discussing things like this. I'm really confident of a Mother trilogy remake.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Man, I didn't even know that.

But I get goosebumps when discussing things like this. I'm really confident of a Mother trilogy remake.
In the timeline, Link's Awakening was the sequel to Link to the Past. The reason why Triforce Heroes was made, or at least the reason I believe, was because it ran parallel to the original Four Swords, which was packaged with the GBA remake of Link to the Past.

So why not make the remake of the sequel to Link to the Past use the same artstyle, storyline, and Link as the Link to the Past remake?

It's almost as if Aonuma saw something told him it was the perfect time to revisit Link's Awakening and to use this brand new artsyle that looks strongly like Mother.

Also I got freaking bored and wrote a Ninten reveal trailer because I wanted to.

Trailer Name: No Crying Until the End (Yes, the name of this thread)

Utter silence as Ness and Lucas are seen on top of a towering peak, weakened, afraid. It is dark out. They stand their ground, but to the viewers, the two heroes are clearly on their last legs. You can see the stiffness of their muscles, the pain in their movements. The viewer has a moment of dread: what could possibly be so strong to hurt Ness and Lucas this bad? The camera pans, and we see a glorious 3D rendition of Giegue. In that moment of reveal, fans of the series realize that Ness and Lucas are on Mt. Itoi, facing against Giegue. Giegue laughs, "humans are too weak for PSI powers, I was right to take them back."

Giegue charges up an energy ball, ready to attack. Ness and Lucas prepare themselves, but they know it is hopeless. They are too injured to dodge, too weak to repel the attack. It seems as if it is all over. The camera zooms on Ness and Lucas in order. A single tear is seen streaming down each of their faces as they await the end. But in a final moment, Ninten 4-D slips in front of the duo and swings his baseball bat at the energy ball, launching it back at Giegue.

Zoom on Ninten: Ninten Aims for the Fences! All That I Needed Was You begins to play

Ninten looks at the other two, slings his bat over his should, winks, and says, "hey you two, no crying until the end!" Giegue looks furious, and they dive into battle.

The trailer swaps to gameplay, and it's revealed that Ninten's stage is Mt. Itoi. On this stage, EVE and R7038-XX are seen battling in the background. Giegue shows up as a boss in the stage and Ninten is seen battling Giegue on it. He reveals most of his moveset, 4-D Slips, Boomerangs, Baseball Bats, Slingshots, etc. At some point, Giegue is weakened enough and he launches a powerful attack on Ninten, and it swaps back to cinematics.

Now Ninten is incredibly weakened. However, he still stands up and prepares to fight Giegue once more. But Giegue smirks, this is the chance he has to beat all three of the PSI users. He knows Ninten can no longer keep up his power after taking a blow like that. But then dawn comes, and a girl's voice calls out, "Do you need help Ninten?". A nerdy boy voice says, "W-we're here for you Ninten!" Over the horizon, Ana and Lloyd come over the horizon and run to Ninten's side. Ninten nods to each of them. They know what they must do. The three of them beginning singing.

Orchestral Remake of Eight Melodies begins to play

The trailer swaps to gameplay and shows that Ana and Lloyd join Ninten for his Final Smash: the Eight Melodies. With Ness and Lucas on the field, it shows that Eight Melodies doesn't do damage or kill. Its haunting melody dramatically weakens opponents and increases your attack and knockback against them.

It switches back to cinematics, and Giegue is very weakened, haunted by the memories of Maria. He flies away, tears streaming from his eyes. Ninten turns to his friends and the other two, "We can cry now". He walks up and shakes hands with Ness and Lucas, and everyone cries as they embrace each other and the screen fades.

The screen returns to Sakurai's office.

"Did you remember not to cry until the end? Hello, my name is Masahiro Sakurai, from Sora Ltd., and I'm happy to announce Ninten from Earthbound Beginnings is joining the roster. Usually, Smash reveals are more exciting and dramatic than Ninten's, but I felt the more emotional atmosphere of Ninten's game demanded a more distressing trailer. But it's more than that. As too many of us are away, four years ago, Satoru Iwata, a mentor to many in the video game industry, including myself, passed away. When he revealed Earthbound Beginnings to the world several years ago, all of us caught a glimpse of Iwata's passion for the franchise. I knew that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate had to respect a man like Iwata, and so Ninten comes. I'll have more to say later, but first I have the honor of directing you to another great friend of mine, who has his own contribution to this feeling of love and remembrance. Let me just say, there will be smiles, and tears."

Trailer for the Mother Collection plays

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In the timeline, Link's Awakening was the sequel to Link to the Past. The reason why Triforce Heroes was made, or at least the reason I believe, was because it ran parallel to the original Four Swords, which was packaged with the GBA remake of Link to the Past.

So why not make the remake of the sequel to Link to the Past use the same artstyle, storyline, and Link as the Link to the Past remake?

It's almost as if Aonuma saw something told him it was the perfect time to revisit Link's Awakening and to use this brand new artsyle that looks strongly like Mother.

Also I got freaking bored and wrote a Ninten reveal trailer because I wanted to.

Trailer Name: No Crying Until the End (Yes, the name of this thread)

Utter silence as Ness and Lucas are seen on top of a towering peak, weakened, afraid. It is dark out. They stand their ground, but to the viewers, the two heroes are clearly on their last legs. You can see the stiffness of their muscles, the pain in their movements. The viewer has a moment of dread: what could possibly be so strong to hurt Ness and Lucas this bad? The camera pans, and we see a glorious 3D rendition of Giegue. In that moment of reveal, fans of the series realize that Ness and Lucas are on Mt. Itoi, facing against Giegue. Giegue laughs, "humans are too weak for PSI powers, I was right to take them back."

Giegue charges up an energy ball, ready to attack. Ness and Lucas prepare themselves, but they know it is hopeless. They are too injured to dodge, too weak to repel the attack. It seems as if it is all over. The camera zooms on Ness and Lucas in order. A single tear is seen streaming down each of their faces as they await the end. But in a final moment, Ninten 4-D slips in front of the duo and swings his baseball bat at the energy ball, launching it back at Giegue.

Zoom on Ninten: Ninten Aims for the Fences! All That I Needed Was You begins to play

Ninten looks at the other two, slings his bat over his should, winks, and says, "hey you two, no crying until the end!" Giegue looks furious, and they dive into battle.

The trailer swaps to gameplay, and it's revealed that Ninten's stage is Mt. Itoi. On this stage, EVE and R7038-XX are seen battling in the background. Giegue shows up as a boss in the stage and Ninten is seen battling Giegue on it. He reveals most of his moveset, 4-D Slips, Boomerangs, Baseball Bats, Slingshots, etc. At some point, Giegue is weakened enough and he launches a powerful attack on Ninten, and it swaps back to cinematics.

Now Ninten is incredibly weakened. However, he still stands up and prepares to fight Giegue once more. But Giegue smirks, this is the chance he has to beat all three of the PSI users. He knows Ninten can no longer keep up his power after taking a blow like that. But then dawn comes, and a girl's voice calls out, "Do you need help Ninten?". A nerdy boy voice says, "W-we're here for you Ninten!" Over the horizon, Ana and Lloyd come over the horizon and run to Ninten's side. Ninten nods to each of them. They know what they must do. The three of them beginning singing.

Orchestral Remake of Eight Melodies begins to play

The trailer swaps to gameplay and shows that Ana and Lloyd join Ninten for his Final Smash: the Eight Melodies. With Ness and Lucas on the field, it shows that Eight Melodies doesn't do damage or kill. Its haunting melody dramatically weakens opponents and increases your attack and knockback against them.

It switches back to cinematics, and Giegue is very weakened, haunted by the memories of Maria. He flies away, tears streaming from his eyes. Ninten turns to his friends and the other two, "We can cry now". He walks up and shakes hands with Ness and Lucas, and everyone cries as they embrace each other and the screen fades.

The screen returns to Sakurai's office.

"Did you remember not to cry until the end? Hello, my name is Masahiro Sakurai, from Sora Ltd., and I'm happy to announce Ninten from Earthbound Beginnings is joining the roster. Usually, Smash reveals are more exciting and dramatic than Ninten's, but I felt the more emotional atmosphere of Ninten's game demanded a more distressing trailer. But it's more than that. As too many of us are away, four years ago, Satoru Iwata, a mentor to many in the video game industry, including myself, passed away. When he revealed Earthbound Beginnings to the world several years ago, all of us caught a glimpse of Iwata's passion for the franchise. I knew that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate had to respect a man like Iwata, and so Ninten comes. I'll have more to say later, but first I have the honor of directing you to another great friend of mine, who has his own contribution to this feeling of love and remembrance. Let me just say, there will be smiles, and tears."

Trailer for the Mother Collection plays
This would be so hype.

And I had an idea for a Mother trilogy remake trailer.

It shows all 3 current games in one screen, and it zooms in on Mother 3. You see an animation of Lucas pulling a needle, and the game is suddenly in 3D. It zooms out and shows the other 2 games in the same art style and Pollyanna plays while showing gameplay of the remade trilogy.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
This would be so hype.

And I had an idea for a Mother trilogy remake trailer.

It shows all 3 current games in one screen, and it zooms in on Mother 3. You see an animation of Lucas pulling a needle, and the game is suddenly in 3D. It zooms out and shows the other 2 games in the same art style and Pollyanna plays while showing gameplay of the remade trilogy.
I think what would be really cool for veterans is like an anti-remake mode. The normal version of the game is 3D models and orchestrated music, but after beating a game once, you can change a setting for the game to use updates visuals based on the spritework of the original games (Think Sonic Mania) and the original music.

Also, for the Orchestrated version of Eight Melodies, I was thinking of something like this, because this is like the best unofficial remix of the song out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgDqGrcblA

D

Deleted member

I think what would be really cool for veterans is like an anti-remake mode. The normal version of the game is 3D models and orchestrated music, but after beating a game once, you can change a setting for the game to use updates visuals based on the spritework of the original games (Think Sonic Mania) and the original music.

Also, for the Orchestrated version of Eight Melodies, I was thinking of something like this, because this is like the best unofficial remix of the song out there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgDqGrcblA
That'd be a really cool feature. You could play a different version of Mother with each playthrough on the same game.

Oh and that remix is really beautiful. I think I've heard it somewhere, for a fan creation of an Earthbound vid.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
That'd be a really cool feature. You could play a different version of Mother with each playthrough on the same game.

Oh and that remix is really beautiful. I think I've heard it somewhere, for a fan creation of an Earthbound vid.
I have another idea for a cool feature (taken basically from Pikmin 2) where you're thrown into a dungeon with a pre-selected group of party members from all three games. The enemies and items that are in the dungeon are also pre-set, but the dungeon layout itself is randomly generated. The challenge would come from the enemy selection, not knowing the layout of the dungeon, and what party members were given to you.

But back to Link's Awakening, there's one thing super suspicious about it that makes me think something is up. You see, a year ago several things came out that highly suggested that Grezzo (who has done lots of Zelda remakes and developed Triforce Heroes) was working on a Zelda game for Switch. Back then, I predicted this would be a reimagining of Link's Awakening, as a sequel to A Link Between Worlds and Triforce Heroes. However, Grezzo isn't working on Link's Awakening, in fact right now, Nintendo seems to be working on it internally.

I ask you, why isn't Grezzo, with loads of Zelda experience under their belt, working on the Link's Awakening remake so that Aonuma's team can work on the next major Zelda that will undoubtedly take half a decade to make?

Short answer: Link's Awakening is hiding something they don't want becoming public yet. My guess? Link's Awakening uses a modified version of the engine that runs the Mother Collection.

Before you call me crazy, this is far from the first time that Zelda has reused engines from other games. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, for example, used a modified version of Super Mario 64's engine. Who's to say that it didn't happen again, especially when it would speed up development of a remake? Why would they want to speed up development? According to insiders, following Breath of the Wild's insane success, Nintendo wants to have at least one Zelda on Switch yearly from now on. If Aonuma saw an engine finished that he could use for a Zelda game, he'd probably take it.

But then we get to a juicy bit. From an article I got from Zack through Ani, Itoi was working on something that would "make Mother playable" back in 2013. The only thing since then that has happened to Mother is Mother 1's localization, which for multiple reasons isn't something Itoi would have worked on. Combine this with Itoi's repeated statements that he doesn't want to make a Mother 4, and the only thing that makes sense is that, assuming it wasn't cancelled, he's been working on remakes for one or more of the Mothers.

Now here's the time frame. Aonuma probably began thinking about the next Zelda late 2017, early 2018 when the DLC was finished and they needed something for 2019. By then, a Mother Collection would have been 4-5 years into development, and an engine would have been completed with any luck. Aonuma probably saw it, and requested that he be allowed to use the engine for a Zelda remake. I imagine Itoi said yes, with the caveat being that it would have to be developed internally so that no one outside the company gets a whiff of the Mother Collection.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I have another idea for a cool feature (taken basically from Pikmin 2) where you're thrown into a dungeon with a pre-selected group of party members from all three games. The enemies and items that are in the dungeon are also pre-set, but the dungeon layout itself is randomly generated. The challenge would come from the enemy selection, not knowing the layout of the dungeon, and what party members were given to you.

But back to Link's Awakening, there's one thing super suspicious about it that makes me think something is up. You see, a year ago several things came out that highly suggested that Grezzo (who has done lots of Zelda remakes and developed Triforce Heroes) was working on a Zelda game for Switch. Back then, I predicted this would be a reimagining of Link's Awakening, as a sequel to A Link Between Worlds and Triforce Heroes. However, Grezzo isn't working on Link's Awakening, in fact right now, Nintendo seems to be working on it internally.

I ask you, why isn't Grezzo, with loads of Zelda experience under their belt, working on the Link's Awakening remake so that Aonuma's team can work on the next major Zelda that will undoubtedly take half a decade to make?

Short answer: Link's Awakening is hiding something they don't want becoming public yet. My guess? Link's Awakening uses a modified version of the engine that runs the Mother Collection.

Before you call me crazy, this is far from the first time that Zelda has reused engines from other games. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, for example, used a modified version of Super Mario 64's engine. Who's to say that it didn't happen again, especially when it would speed up development of a remake? Why would they want to speed up development? According to insiders, following Breath of the Wild's insane success, Nintendo wants to have at least one Zelda on Switch yearly from now on. If Aonuma saw an engine finished that he could use for a Zelda game, he'd probably take it.

But then we get to a juicy bit. From an article I got from Zack through Ani, Itoi was working on something that would "make Mother playable" back in 2013. The only thing since then that has happened to Mother is Mother 1's localization, which for multiple reasons isn't something Itoi would have worked on. Combine this with Itoi's repeated statements that he doesn't want to make a Mother 4, and the only thing that makes sense is that, assuming it wasn't cancelled, he's been working on remakes for one or more of the Mothers.

Now here's the time frame. Aonuma probably began thinking about the next Zelda late 2017, early 2018 when the DLC was finished and they needed something for 2019. By then, a Mother Collection would have been 4-5 years into development, and an engine would have been completed with any luck. Aonuma probably saw it, and requested that he be allowed to use the engine for a Zelda remake. I imagine Itoi said yes, with the caveat being that it would have to be developed internally so that no one outside the company gets a whiff of the Mother Collection.
Ocarina of Time ran on a modified Mario 64 engine? Huh. I honestly have bare minimum Zelda knowledge so these are some neat finds.

D

Deleted member

Grezzo not working on a Zelda game despite his experience and work with Zelda in the past is definitely suspicious. It being a test game for a Mother trilogy remake makes a lot of sense given this.

And yeah, that's why I always thought that those N64 games look similar. They always had a similar art style and texture.

I need to take a look at that article again, but I think he said that it was something that involved the whole trilogy? If so, it definitely couldn't have been Mother 1's localization that he was talking about.

And I agree with that timeline.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Worth mentioning that the original Link's Awakening also used another game's engine. The one from For the Frog the Bell Tolls.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Ocarina of Time ran on a modified Mario 64 engine? Huh. I honestly have bare minimum Zelda knowledge so these are some neat finds.
Believe it or not, Ocarina of Time early on in development looked a LOT like Mario 64. Early ideas for the game called for the entire overworld taking place in Ganon's Castle with warp areas throughout taking you to places where pieces of the Triforce were. As the game evolved, the engine changed more and more.

Grezzo not working on a Zelda game despite his experience and work with Zelda in the past is definitely suspicious. It being a test game for a Mother trilogy remake makes a lot of sense given this.

And yeah, that's why I always thought that those N64 games look similar. They always had a similar art style and texture.

I need to take a look at that article again, but I think he said that it was something that involved the whole trilogy? If so, it definitely couldn't have been Mother 1's localization that he was talking about.

And I agree with that timeline.
The way Itoi said it, it sounded like he was referring to the series as a whole.

Anyways, if OoT took another game's engine, why not Link's Awakening? There's a ton of similarities between it and Mother and seems like the perfect game for the engine.

And if a Mother Collection is coming, is Ninten for Smash really that insane?

xdenzee

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-0818-5738
Switch FC
3395 4254 8029
Yo guys! I just came across this on YouTube and I dunno what to think O__O

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ZwUAPdA_g

Not sure if this was mentioned here already since I haven't really been to active on these forums (thanks to school ughh) but better safe than sorry! Unfortunately they didn't provide a link to the source of where they found it so it may not have a lot of credibility. What do you guys think?

D

Deleted member

Not sure if this was mentioned here already since I haven't really been to active on these forums (thanks to school ughh) but better safe than sorry! Unfortunately they didn't provide a link to the source of where they found it so it may not have a lot of credibility. What do you guys think?
Hey, you haven't been on for a while, it's nice to have you back!

As for the leak, I don't have much time to watch the video, but it's hard for me to believe any leak at this point tbh. Especially if it's Mother related, given how Lucas as DLC in Smash 4 and Earthbound Beginnings weren't leaked beforehand at all. If Ninten (or any other Mother character for that matter, but leaning towards Ninten the most) is in the game, I highly doubt he'll get leaked.

Believe it or not, Ocarina of Time early on in development looked a LOT like Mario 64. Early ideas for the game called for the entire overworld taking place in Ganon's Castle with warp areas throughout taking you to places where pieces of the Triforce were. As the game evolved, the engine changed more and more.

The way Itoi said it, it sounded like he was referring to the series as a whole.

Anyways, if OoT took another game's engine, why not Link's Awakening? There's a ton of similarities between it and Mother and seems like the perfect game for the engine.

And if a Mother Collection is coming, is Ninten for Smash really that insane?
That's what I'm thinking too. When the trailer was first shown so many people, myself included, thought this looked so much like Mother in 3D and HD.

And Ninten would be a perfect advertisement for it, since Mother 1 doesn't have a character in Smash yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Looks pretty fake in fact I’m just gonna outright say it’s fake. Blocked Content is known for parroting pretty bad/fake leaks and this is certainly one of them.The quality of the image is really poor, Giygas has his render ripped straight from EB, not even cg, and Ness is in his standard “okay” pose here. Probs his trophy from Brawl. The placement of the “not real gameplay footage” also looks pretty bad.Probs didn’t provide a link because it was on 4chan and someone down below probably debunked it. The clickbait title kinda cements this for me.

Thanks for posting it though. Been a while since I’ve seen an image “leak” heh. Kinda miss those.

xdenzee

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-0818-5738
Switch FC
3395 4254 8029
Yeah I was kinda leaning towards fake, as much as I wanted it to be real. Just thought i'd bring it to everyone's attention because I haven't seen anything like this in a while.

Aside from that, it's nice to see that his forum is still alive and well! :) Last time I checked, we were at 70ish posts and now, we're at 85 omg. Clearly I have some catching up to do. :o

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Yeah I was kinda leaning towards fake, as much as I wanted it to be real. Just thought i'd bring it to everyone's attention because I haven't seen anything like this in a while.

Aside from that, it's nice to see that his forum is still alive and well! :) Last time I checked, we were at 70ish posts and now, we're at 85 omg. Clearly I have some catching up to do. :o
Stay tuned, next week I’m gonna dump my final PowerPoint and it’s certainly the best one yet heh.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Worth mentioning that the original Link's Awakening also used another game's engine. The one from For the Frog the Bell Tolls.
So who's to say Link's Awakening isn't again reusing an engine?

Hey, you haven't been on for a while, it's nice to have you back!

As for the leak, I don't have much time to watch the video, but it's hard for me to believe any leak at this point tbh. Especially if it's Mother related, given how Lucas as DLC in Smash 4 and Earthbound Beginnings weren't leaked beforehand at all. If Ninten (or any other Mother character for that matter, but leaning towards Ninten the most) is in the game, I highly doubt he'll get leaked.

That's what I'm thinking too. When the trailer was first shown so many people, myself included, thought this looked so much like Mother in 3D and HD.

And Ninten would be a perfect advertisement for it, since Mother 1 doesn't have a character in Smash yet.
Funny you should mention that. This is the weirdest part. In terms of art style, there are really two types of Zelda. The "realistic" Zeldas and the "Toon" Zeldas. By realistic, I don't mean photorealism (only really Twilight Princess follows that style); I'm talking about Zeldas with more realistic color schemes and reasonably proportions. The Toon Zeldas are the ones that take the core artstyle from The Wind Waker. Whenever they want a cartoony Zelda game, they reuse the Toon Link.

But Link's Awakening doesn't fit either artstyle. This style of Zelda, what I'm calling Chibi Zelda, is totally unprecedented, and new artstyles like this typically debut in main line titles, not remakes. Heck, the game artstyle, doesn't even mesh with the opening cutscene. Why did Aonuma pick this?

Looks pretty fake in fact I’m just gonna outright say it’s fake. Blocked Content is known for parroting pretty bad/fake leaks and this is certainly one of them.The quality of the image is really poor, Giygas has his render ripped straight from EB, not even cg, and Ness is in his standard “okay” pose here. Probs his trophy from Brawl. The placement of the “not real gameplay footage” also looks pretty bad.Probs didn’t provide a link because it was on 4chan and someone down below probably debunked it. The clickbait title kinda cements this for me.

Thanks for posting it though. Been a while since I’ve seen an image “leak” heh. Kinda miss those.
As someone who has had one of their fake leaks covered by Blocked Content in two separate videos, can confirm.

Another crack pot theory time. If Itoi was making the Mother Collection as far back as 2013 as the article suggested, then Iwata was aware of it and likely even worked on it personally. After his death, I imagine Nintendo refused to cancel it as a final gift to Iwata. Sakurai probably even put Ninten onto the design doc for Smash Ultimate so that when the time came, Ninten could be part of the tribute Itoi started. After all, Iwata was Sakurai's mentor. You don't think he wouldn't give the man who made him who he was one last gift, one that would make him forever immortalized in one of the greatest video game series ever made?

Stay tuned, next week I’m gonna dump my final PowerPoint and it’s certainly the best one yet heh.
It's certainly great. It's mostly her work, and you need to thank her. She's a very dedicated fan. Even I don't love F-Zero that much.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman

I'm leaning towards fake, Ness' pose is incredibly stiff and it's his signature clay model pose that you can find everywhere. And Giygas it's literally his EB pic but with a filter

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
As someone who has had one of their fake leaks covered by Blocked Content in two separate videos, can confirm.

It's certainly great. It's mostly her work, and you need to thank her. She's a very dedicated fan. Even I don't love F-Zero that much.
Jesus man how many fake leaks did you make?

Heh I’m honored.

I'm leaning towards fake, Ness' pose is incredibly stiff and it's his signature clay model pose that you can find everywhere. And Giygas it's literally his EB pic but with a filter
I got a good laugh out of it at least.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Jesus man how many fake leaks did you make?

Heh I’m honored.

I got a good laugh out of it at least.
Oh no, it was one leak they covered twice. But it wasn't just them. During its peak, I had like ten different YouTubers covering it.

Anyhow, yeah, the leak is super great for a laugh, but it's terribly fake. I can make a better leak than that and have before.

Anyhow, we're a very short period of time away from E3, and soon, a long journey may come to an end.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Oh no, it was one leak they covered twice. But it wasn't just them. During its peak, I had like ten different YouTubers covering it.

Anyhow, yeah, the leak is super great for a laugh, but it's terribly fake. I can make a better leak than that and have before.

Anyhow, we're a very short period of time away from E3, and soon, a long journey may come to an end.
Holy ****. You gotta send me that leak.

Hopefully it will end. It’s been a long speculation period.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Holy ****. You gotta send me that leak.

Hopefully it will end. It’s been a long speculation period.
I have sent you that leak numerous times. It's the one I made for a January Nintendo Direct. You know the one with the Rayman Collection, Sonic the Hedgehog: Wii-visited, Mario Super Sluggers: Fever Pitch, and the other ****?

Hey, the journey will all be worth it in a few weeks. I'll finally end a 11 year dry spell of not getting any characters I want in Smash lol.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I have sent you that leak numerous times. It's the one I made for a January Nintendo Direct. You know the one with the Rayman Collection, Sonic the Hedgehog: Wii-visited, Mario Super Sluggers: Fever Pitch, and the other ****?

Hey, the journey will all be worth it in a few weeks. I'll finally end a 11 year dry spell of not getting any characters I want in Smash lol.
Ooooooh that one. Chris did one on that one too right?

I’m still happy that I got Ridley. The Pterodactyl that could.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Ooooooh that one. Chris did one on that one too right?

I’m still happy that I got Ridley. The Pterodactyl that could.
A better question is who didn't cover it?

Don't get me wrong, I was hype for Ridley. I just gave up on him and was hoping for someone else, so he doesn't count in my book.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Posted this in the Porky thread, but may as well leave this here too (forgive me if someone has already linked it). Here's footage of the likely fake Porky "leak":

D

Deleted member

Posted this in the Porky thread, but may as well leave this here too (forgive me if someone has already linked it). Here's footage of the likely fake Porky "leak":
Oh yeah, we discussed it already, but yes, it's likely fake.

Top Bottom