• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

D

Deleted member

I hate to always come here with my gloomy opinions, but I wanna join the convo.

I think Mother as a franchise is completely, 100% done. As in, no remakes/remasters, no future entries. I think the only new Mother content that will be released in the future are a localized Mother 3, and Smash Bros. Itoi has expressed on numerous occasions his disliking to the idea of making another game. And that doesn't necessarily mean a Mother 4. A remastered version of older entries are still creating an entirely new game from the ground up, with new graphics, sounds, animations, all that junk.

As much as I would want this to happen, I just don't see it happening. In April it will have been 13 years since a new Mother game released. I think it's just over. I don't mind if people hope, but I don't think it's a good idea to expect something new to happen.

The boys will continue to appear in Smash because they're Smash staples at this point. And EarthBound will continue to be represented on multiple platforms just because of its status as a popular cult classic. But, in my opinion, Itoi said it's over, so it's over.
If you keep telling yourself this, it will be over. You gotta have hope that it isn't over, man

I feel like it’s all or nothing this year. Either we get Ninten and a Mother Switch release, or we get absolutely nothing.

I have a good feeling about the former though.
Same. I'm confident that either Mother 3 will be localized or the trilogy is remade, and that our boy will be DLC.

If there aren't any Mother characters in wave 1 and there isn't anything Mother related this year, I'm thinking about starting something. I'll tell you all about it later :D

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I’m not too hopeful as far as a Mother trilogy release. I’d say the best case scenario is Mother 1 and 2 end up on the online service.

I want nothing more than to be wrong, and I’ll never stop hoping, but I don’t expect a Mother 3 release to happen for a long time.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Personally, I’m not too hopeful as far as a Mother trilogy release. I’d say the best case scenario is Mother 1 and 2 end up on the online service.

I want nothing more than to be wrong, and I’ll never stop hoping, but I don’t expect a Mother 3 release to happen for a long time.
You have to believe! Rememberthe lyrics of Pollyanna!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If you keep telling yourself this, it will be over. You gotta have hope that it isn't over, man
Eh, I'm trying to look at this situation as realistically as possible. It's nice to dream about a new Mother game, but you gotta let go at some point or another. I've been a fan of the series for a long time, and Nintendo hardly acknowledges it so I don't see why they would randomly change their minds. Like I said, they continue releasing the old games because they're popular cult classics. And Ness and Lucas are Smash staples.

Also, there's the fact that Itoi himself deconfirmed the possibility of a new game.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
And when it does it's through a meme in a Robot Chicken animation.
LMAO LITERALLY.

The only times they'll acknowledge the series is when it's easy/convenient for them. It was convenient for them to announce EBB cause you know it was already localized and just sitting there for 20 years. But Mother 3, localizing that takes work. And Nintendo of America ain't about work. (Nah, they probably just don't care because anyone can get the game for free outside of their control).

D

Deleted member

Eh, I'm trying to look at this situation as realistically as possible. It's nice to dream about a new Mother game, but you gotta let go at some point or another. I've been a fan of the series for a long time, and Nintendo hardly acknowledges it so I don't see why they would randomly change their minds. Like I said, they continue releasing the old games because they're popular cult classics. And Ness and Lucas are Smash staples.

Also, there's the fact that Itoi himself deconfirmed the possibility of a new game.
Sakurai also deconfirmed the possibility of Ridley in Smash in 2014/2015.

And, by "hardly acknowledging it," it somehow ends up being one of 3 series to have all its stages return in Ultimate, having more spirits than Metroid, Yoshi, Star Fox, F-Zero, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Kid Icarus, Wario, Punch Out, Xenoblade, Metal Gear, and Sonic, having a piece of art made by an official staff member of Mother 3 to celebrate Ultimate, having Mother 1 be localized, and having Earthbound on the SNES Classic and WiiU VC.

You're giving up too quickly

Last edited by a moderator:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's a difference between a guy changing his mind and a guy who has better things to do than make games all the time.

In any case, I think the Mother focus is moreso on Sakurai's behalf than anything else, seeing how he's good friends with Itoi.

LMAO LITERALLY.

The only times they'll acknowledge the series is when it's easy/convenient for them. It was convenient for them to announce EBB cause you know it was already localized and just sitting there for 20 years. But Mother 3, localizing that takes work. And Nintendo of America ain't about work. (Nah, they probably just don't care because anyone can get the game for free outside of their control).
Well, the thing is that there's copyright infringing stuff in the game anyway. It was already a nightmare to even have the 60s Batman get a home video release at all (beyond the movie), so imagine negotiating for the reference to it in Mother 3.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's a difference between a guy changing his mind and a guy who has better things to do than make games all the time.
They...are the same thing, in a way that one can change their mind, lol.

Plus, Mother content in Smash has to be approved by Itoi.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I read that taking samples from copyrighted music would be legal as it falls under Fair Use (as long as the sample is short, like a maximum of 15 seconds or something).

however I read this in the youtube comment section of a Mother 3 video showing all music references so can someone fill me in on whether this is true or not?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I read that taking samples from copyrighted music would be legal as it falls under Fair Use.

however I read this in the youtube comment section of a Mother 3 video showing all music references so can someone fill me in on whether this is true or not?
What replies did the comment receive (if there were any replies)?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What replies did the comment receive (if there were any replies)?
tbh I don't remember, it was in one comment's replies and I'm not sure if anyone disproved the reply or not. I just assumed it true because it makes sense.

however parodies still get taken down on Youtube despite falling under Fair Use but that might just be a bad copyright system on the site.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They...are the same thing, in a way that one can change their mind, lol.

Plus, Mother content in Smash has to be approved by Itoi.
Well, here's the thing: Sakurai is a game maker first, Itoi is an author/article writer first.

If Itoi feels like Mother should have more focus in Smash/Ultimate beyond the base game, we'll know soon enough.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Well, here's the thing: Sakurai is a game maker first, Itoi is an author/article writer first.

If Itoi feels like Mother should have more focus in Smash/Ultimate beyond the base game, we'll know soon enough.
I don't see how this changes any possibility that they can change their mind in something.

And yeah, we will know soon enough

D

Deleted member

Okay, going to say this instead:

Has Itoi ever changed his mind about anything? Sakurai changing his mind is brought up all the time, but I hardly ever heard anything about Itoi not sticking to his guns.
I'm not sure if he has, but, even if he hasn't, doesn't mean he never will.

I bring up that example from Sakurai because it shows that someone can be so sure about something, but decided to change his mind later. Same thing could happen here.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
well I just searched it up and it seems to fit what's described on this page:

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/permission-sampled-music-sample-clearance-30165.html

It's under "Operating Without Sample Clearance" > "Factors in determining fair use." Although I wonder if they could afford the other stuffs anyway without needing permission.

tbh I wonder if they're reluctant to release Mother 3 simply because they don't think it would sell well; I've read theories about politics or the game having some moments Nintendo might not want in a game that looks like it's for younger teens or children, but EarthBound is rated T while Undertale is rated E10+ and its few swears aren't any worse than Mother 3's (there is the emotional stuffs including Flint swinging a plank around, and the whole chimera thing, but hey that'd still fit a T rating with the game's looks).

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’ve made my peace with Mother staying as it is. No remakes, no ports, no Mother 4, probably no Mother 3 localization either.

I’m fine with that. The games, as they are, are some of my favorite games of all time. I can readily play them legally or emulate them if I want a replay. Mother 4, or whatever it ends up called, looks fantastic and I can’t wait to play it. But if things stay the way they are, I don’t mind. I had a great journey.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/permission-sampled-music-sample-clearance-30165.html

It's under "Operating Without Sample Clearance" > "Factors in determining fair use."

tbh I wonder if they're reluctant to release Mother 3 simply because they don't think it would sell well; I've read theories about politics or the game having some moments Nintendo might not want in a game that looks like it's for younger teens or children, but EarthBound is rated T while Undertale is rated E10+ and its few swears aren't any worse than Mother 3's (there is the emotional stuffs including Flint swinging a plank around, and the whole chimera thing, but hey that'd still fit a T rating with the game's looks).
Never underestimate what might prevent a game from reaching a wider audience. The pig man in Monster Boy originally was going to smoke when remaining idle, but the devs had to drop that to keep the rating low (to say nothing of Nabu being very obviously drunk, even though he hasn't drunk booze).

I’ve made my peace with Mother staying as it is. No remakes, no ports, no Mother 4, probably no Mother 3 localization either.

I’m fine with that. The games, as they are, are some of my favorite games of all time. I can readily play them legally or emulate them if I want a replay. Mother 4, or whatever it ends up called, looks fantastic and I can’t wait to play it. But if things stay the way they are, I don’t mind. I had a great journey.
That's the way.

Besides, I'm honestly worried that Mother 4 will end up living up to its "takes longer to make than DNF" reputation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's under "Operating Without Sample Clearance" > "Factors in determining fair use." Although I wonder if they could afford the other stuffs anyway without needing permission.

I think the reason Mother 3 hasn't come yet is simply because it's a pain in the *** to code.

Which may mean that a remake of Mother 3 could happen instead, be we'll see.

And with how long fans have been asking for this, it would likely sell well

D

Deleted member

I'm just respecting his decision and--oh never mind, I'll just let you all carry on, I'm done arguing about this. I'm going nowhere fast.

Respecting a decision is more along the lines of "I agree with you" not "this is the correct way."

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
...Pretty sure the games have already been ported to the Wii. U, so them coming to the Switch ain't really impossible. You can think it's unlikely, but it's not impossible. Mother 4? Yeah that won't happen. Rereleases? It already has happened, so it's not THAT unlikely. Especially since the games sell like hotcakes.

Hey, I won't be able to convince everybody, and that's okay but can you cut back on the overbearing pessimism just a little bit...?

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
I've read that the Magypsies might be a little controversial to bring to the west (which is stupid because we are in fricking 2019)

On the side note,I'll be happy with anything they release. I'm very glad EB and EBB been ported and we left the cursed era where the only legal way to play Earthbound outside the SNES was a 10 minute demo in the Japanese version of Brawl.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
huh, I thought the Mother 4 fangame was canceled because the team couldn't get along.

However, I just found a subreddit for it, and they seem to still be working on it.

Sucks they have to rebrand it, though...Cognitive Dissonance didn't rebrand...I want Mr. Saturn dang it.

I've read that the Magypsies might be a little controversial to bring to the west (which is stupid because we are in fricking 2019)
yeah I had them in mind, too, but I wasn't sure if it'd seem offensive to someone or not to associate them with politics...

but yeah, they shouldn't matter, and I don't see why they would in this day in age + Nintendo already has some things that could be controversial + nobody really cares unless they're extremists who aren't making sense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As much as I would like Duster or any other party member if Ninten can't be the Mother rep, I think we should have all of the protags in the game first

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
: psychotic Claus fangirling intensifies:

But yeah, I'd actually rather have Ninten get the slot.

Last edited:

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Mother 4 will ever happen, but I honestly see no reason that a remaster or a trilogy collection could never happen.

D

Deleted member

I find Mother 3/trilogy remake more likely than Mother 4 too.

If there is a new game, it would be interesting to make a spin-off series called "Father."

Unlikely, but ya never know

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
I could see sort of a spin off series working if a mother trilogy releases and is very successful. I don't think Nintendo will go against the wishes of Itoi, but if it proves to be a moneymaker I feel like they would try to take advantage of the IP. I still think it is kind of unlikely, but you never know what might happen!

Last edited:

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
If the EarthBound trilogy gets a remake, I'd really only want it to be a visual/audio upgrade with a few balance changes. Mother could use an overhaul to bring it into 16 bit and reduce the soul crushing difficulty of the late game, and EarthBound could maybe use a few added animations for certain scenes. Mother 3 is mostly fine, but a bigger screen size wouldn't hurt. The gba's audio quality... wasn't the best, to say the least, so if they managed to bump up the quality on Mother 3's music I would be happy.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I thought about "what if I remade Mother 1 in RPG Maker? give it EarthBound graphics."

however I realized that'd likely be illegal if I don't keep it to myself/change most of it, plus I'd have to use EarthBound RPG Maker code that's readily available if I can even find it (I don't really know how to code stuff, just understand code that's already been done and can be seen, guess I should look at tutorials if there are any...I initially got RPG Maker for Pokemon games which I tend to spend some time on every once in a while).

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I thought about "what if I remade Mother 1 in RPG Maker? give it EarthBound graphics."

however I realized that'd likely be illegal if I don't keep it to myself/change most of it, plus I'd have to use EarthBound RPG Maker code that's readily available if I can even find it (I don't really know how to code stuff, just understand code that's already been done and can be seen, guess I should look at tutorials if there are any...I initially got RPG Maker for Pokemon games which I tend to spend some time on every once in a while).
You could do it as an Earthbound hack. I think the tools are pretty simple to use.

Top Bottom