• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
What would they change the yoyo to? That's the main issue the Ness echo fighter concept has apart from PK Flash, but I suppose some could argue custom moves could fix that with PK Freeze.
Sure, the yo-yo isn't in Mother, but they're an extremely similar contemporary setting. Would anyone really be upset that Ninten is swinging around a yo-yo when it fits him just fine? Lucina doesn't actually take on Marth's fighting style and Daisy has never floated like Peach.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf and Dr. Mario aren’t Echo Fighters though. When trying to predict an Echo Fighter, we have to look at Dark Pit, Lucina and Daisy, all of whom seem to share normal attacks with their originals. So if Ninten were to be an Echo, either he has the yo-yo attacks, or he’s a Lucas Echo.

Or we might suppose Ninten is a regular clone or semi-clone, but I don’t know if we’ll even get those this time around.
Regular clone would still work, reusing animations from other characters was the reason Wolf was in Brawl to begin with but he wasn't a clone as his normals are different and the Smash Wiki doesn't classify him as a clone.
I guess his Up-Smash can be slingshot like Villager's slingshot animation in Animal Crossing.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Regular clone would still work, reusing animations from other characters was the reason Wolf was in Brawl to begin with but he wasn't a clone as his normals are different and the Smash Wiki doesn't classify him as a clone.
I guess his Up-Smash can be slingshot like Villager's slingshot animation in Animal Crossing.
Hadn’t thought of Ninten using slingshots, that’s actually pretty fitting.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Ganondorf and Dr. Mario aren’t Echo Fighters though. When trying to predict an Echo Fighter, we have to look at Dark Pit, Lucina and Daisy, all of whom seem to share normal attacks with their originals. So if Ninten were to be an Echo, either he has the yo-yo attacks, or he’s a Lucas Echo.

Or we might suppose Ninten is a regular clone or semi-clone, but I don’t know if we’ll even get those this time around.
Or Ninten could be an Original Fighter; Who DOESN'T Share a Moveset with EITHER Lucas or Ness; since He'd have HIS Own Moves that Neither Lucas NOR Ness have; Like 4th D-Slip; or PK Beam, etc.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Well, thanks to Chrom, we now know Echo Fighters can borrow from two characters so Ninten would probably be the next example. Ninten being mostly a Ness echo while using Lucas' PK Freeze and a final smash unique to him sounds like a great deal.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Woah, I brought up the idea that Echo Fighters could possibly pull from multiple characters a while back on page 2, but the consensus was that Echo Fighters will pull from one fighter alone. But yeah, Chrom is considered an Echo Fighter of Roy, while having certain abilities from Ike! Here's Chrom's video, for those that haven't seen it:

Mainly uses Roy's moves, while having Ike's recovery. He also has a Falchion like Lucina, so maybe he won't have a tip/hilt mechanic like Marth or Roy?

This definitely opens the door for Ninten, though! Can use Ness' moves for most of them, and Lucas' for stuff that Mother 1 doesn't have, like the yo-yo and PK Flash.

Last edited:

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Woah, I brought up the idea that Echo Fighters could possibly pull from multiple characters a while back on page 2, but the consensus was that Echo Fighters will pull from one fighter alone. But yeah, Chrom is considered an Echo Fighter of Roy, while having certain abilities from Ike! Here's Chrom's video, for those that haven't seen it:

Mainly uses Roy's moves, while having Ike's recovery. He also has a Falchion like Lucina, so maybe he won't have a tip/hilt mechanic like Marth or Roy?

This definitely opens the door for Ninten, though! Can use Ness' moves for most of them, and Lucas' for stuff that Mother 1 doesn't have, like the yo-yo and PK Flash.
Giving Ninten a slingshot from Villager would be perfect for him.

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I support simply because Mother 1 is my favorite Mother game.
And yea I don't see any problem with Ninten using yo-yo's, I actually forgot he doesn't have them in his own game till now.

What do you mean, Marth has a Falchion as well.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean, Marth has a Falchion as well.
My bad, I meant more that Chrom and Lucina have a Falchion identical in appearance. Marth's Falchion looks different than theirs, so I'm thinking it's possible that the identical ones may operate similarily, since Lucina's already doesn't have a tipper/hilt mechanic, while Marth's does.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Ninten is my top echo! Make sure we get Gigue in the background of his final smash and i'm pretty much set! Count in my support; let's complete the trio!

(Then let's focus on campaigning for a Porky Minch DLC ;3)

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
I tell you what, whoever's redesigning these NES characters like Pit and Simon for Smash Bros is doing a fantastic job at it and I'd love to see them handle Ninten.

All the classic series, including MOTHER, have been getting a lot of love in Ultimate so far. They've really gone above and beyond for the series already, but perhaps while they're at it they'll take a look at Ninten and say "yeah, why not"...

Would be amazing to see all three of the boys together at last, and it seems for Ultimate that the stars are starting to align - it may well be now or never.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I would love to see a redesigned Ninten. I support. Second most wanted echo.

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
I am a huge Ninten supporter (as you can see by my profile pic). While I believe Shadow is the most likely candidate for the next echo fighter, Ninten just seems so RIGHT as a Ness echo, completing the MOTHER protagonist Trio. I mean, Magicant is HIS stage!

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
I did notice in Smash there seems to be quite a bit of Mother 1 representation specifically. Most striking was how Onett in Melee didn't even have the Onett theme from EB but rather both of the overworld themes from Mother 1(technically one of them did appear in EB, but in a very limited capacity). Magicant in Smash 3DS is more based on Mother 1's iteration(Magicant itself is more relevant to M1 than M2) and the theme is also a remix of Magicant's theme in M1. As well as the M1 exclusive enemies in Smash Run. With all of this, surely the Smash team at least has a soft spot for Mother 1?

Plus the Mr. Saturn in the everyone is here image, is weird being the only npc in the entire image, it could very well be accompanied by a Mother character. There is precedent for this sort of thing, given how Chrom's position in the updated image was right next to Robin and fit in thematically. While Mother 1 is the only Mother game without a Mr. Saturn, it'd still fit to have Ninten there. I also feel Ninten kills two birds with one stone with the challenge there is for a new Mother character. The first, that Mother 2 and 3 are already represented, and the second that Mother is a finished and somewhat niche franchise so it'd be hard to justify adding an original character with a new moveset. I'd love Porky or Masked Man or anything Mother since I love the series personally, but I think an echo fighter is more likely for a new Mother character.

However, if Ninten does get in, sadly I doubt he'd have much changes to his specials or final smashes in comparison to Ness(or Lucas if he borrows from him as well Chrom-style). Mother characters in Smash are pretty much known for having moves that they can't learn or use in their base games, so that'd fit right in too. So he'd fit right in as an echo fighter.
And finally, regarding the "Ninten is Ness" argument, not really a problem given we have Dr. Mario and Mario and have had OoT Young Link and OoT Adult Link in Melee.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I did notice in Smash there seems to be quite a bit of Mother 1 representation specifically. Most striking was how Onett in Melee didn't even have the Onett theme from EB but rather both of the overworld themes from Mother 1(technically one of them did appear in EB, but in a very limited capacity). Magicant in Smash 3DS is more based on Mother 1's iteration(Magicant itself is more relevant to M1 than M2) and the theme is also a remix of Magicant's theme in M1. With all of this, surely the Smash team at least has a soft spot for Mother 1?

Plus the Mr. Saturn in the everyone is here image, is weird being the only npc in the entire image, it could very well be accompanied by a Mother character. There is precedent for this sort of thing, given how Chrom's position in the updated image was right next to Robin and fit in thematically. While Mother 1 is the only Mother game without a Mr. Saturn, it'd still fit to have Ninten there. I also feel Ninten kills two birds with one stone with the challenge there is for a new Mother character. The first, that Mother 2 and 3 are already represented, and the second that Mother is a finished and somewhat niche franchise so it'd be hard to justify adding an original character with a new moveset. I'd love Porky or Masked Man or anything Mother since I love the series personally, but I think an echo fighter is more likely for a new Mother character.

However, if Ninten does get in, sadly I doubt he'd have much changes to his specials or final smashes in comparison to Ness(or Lucas if he borrows from him as well Chrom-style). Mother characters in Smash are pretty much known for having moves that they can't learn or use in their base games, so that'd fit right in too. So he'd fit right in as an echo fighter.
And finally, regarding the "Ninten is Ness" argument, not really a problem given we have Dr. Mario and Mario and have had OoT Young Link and OoT Adult Link in Melee.
I at least think he has potential for a pretty cool, unique Final Smash with the Eight Melodies. That (along with Giygue in the background) would be worth the cost of a slot alone in my opinion. Final Smashes seem to be, for the most part, unique for echos.

Last edited:

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
With the introduction of echo-fighters in Smash Bros. Ultimate Ninten would be the perfect echo for Ness, considering Lucas isn't Ness' echo due to obvious differences in his moveset. To be honest, I've never played Mother/Earthbound Beginnings, but I always liked Ninten since the first time I saw a mod of him for Sm4sh, which used his original look, and I always thought he could be a potential costume in Sm4sh just like "Alph is similar to Olimar so he's a costume" kind of thing. I could obviously see other characters like Porky Minch (would be the best new rep tbh) or Masked Man (he's heavily requested for a new Earthboun rep) due to him being extremely obscure, even more than characters we got like King K. Rool or Ridley, although that may be due to them being extremely requested. I'd totally be happy if Ninten got in, of course I'd be dying if Porky Minch or Masked Man got in as completely new characters instead, but by having a new Earthbound rep I'd be more than pleased. It may seem like I love Ninten because of my name but trust me, the origin for my name is other story that has little to do with Mother.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Ninten would be an awesome (Probably most likely) Mother newcomer,
It would be awesome to have all 3 protagonist from each game.
Finger crossing he joins in as an echo fighter of Ness at least.

AtomTrap

Smash Rookie
I just beat Earthbound Beginnings on Wii U and it was a fantastic game! I really want Ninten in Ulimate now, lol. If Ninten does get in to Ulimate I wonder how Sakurai updated him. He did fantastic work on characters like Pit so I have a lot of faith in him. I predict he is gonna use the commerical as a base, like 99% of fan artists.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
I just beat Earthbound Beginnings on Wii U and it was a fantastic game! I really want Ninten in Ulimate now, lol. If Ninten does get in to Ulimate I wonder how Sakurai updated him. He did fantastic work on characters like Pit so I have a lot of faith in him. I predict he is gonna use the commerical as a base, like 99% of fan artists.
Earthbound Beginnings is a underrated gem, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I think using the commerical would be his safe bet (Unless they wanna use his original which I'm totally not against),
also they should totally keep the pac-man eyes.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm the only one here who can see Ninten being an echo of Lucas rather than Ness.

TriMaxTime

Smash Cadet
Body? Chicago; Mind? Somewhere off in the distance
NNID
WiiUMax
3DS FC
0602-6382-0071
Switch FC
2417-1622-0716
I'm the only one here who can see Ninten being an echo of Lucas rather than Ness.
I mean, i think that’s just as likely. Or takes moves from both characters. It’s just that Ninten looks so similar to Ness & has many shared attributes that Ninten as a Ness echo seems like the more likely option.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Ninten would take the least time compared to any other echo fighter who isn't a simple recolor like Dark Samus, or already had a model available in previous Smash games. Just take out Ness' backpack and give him a scarf on his neck like the commercial. Unless you want him to be faithful to the EBB artwork though.

B’Nana

Smash Cadet
Sure, the yo-yo isn't in Mother, but they're an extremely similar contemporary setting. Would anyone really be upset that Ninten is swinging around a yo-yo when it fits him just fine? Lucina doesn't actually take on Marth's fighting style and Daisy has never floated like Peach.
NINten could swing around a floating baseball bat

B’Nana

Smash Cadet
I think all three mother protagonists should have basically the same specials, just different variations of them, (I.e. Ness and Lucas) but much different normal moves.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
They could make Ninten moveset be a hybrid of Ness and Lucas movesets, just like they did with Chrom.
Ninten can borrow the up and down smash from Lucas (but make it a weaker version), while still keeping the bat for his side smash like Ness has.
Also Ninten side "b" could be like Lucas PK Fire but change the texture to look like PK Beam.

ChaosSharpedo

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChaosSharpedo
Switch FC
SW-8187-0600-4038
Ninten is one of my most wanted echos aside from Dixie and he would fit great in Ultimate to complete the Mother Protagonist trio, so add me to the supporters list.

Shin F.

Smash Master
If we did get a Chrom deal with him, I'd like it if he had Mewtwo's up-special as opposed to Ness or Lucas, reskinned and called 4th-D Slip. It'd also be nice if PK Flash / Freeze had perhaps like a Brainshock effect, PK Fire skinned as PK Beam, and perhaps PSI Shield instead of PSI Magnet.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, he would be an amazing echo. I'm praying he gets in. I wanna support him until the end.

Staarih

Smash Master
Hey guys! Popping in to say I support Ninten, I’ve really grown to like the idea of all Mother/Earthbound protags in the game. And seeing how things are with Echoes, he does seem like a plausible option.

StarDustStorm

Smash Journeyman
Source Gaming has done rate that character video about Ninten's chances in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
I disagree about his Final Smash in the video, they could just use DK's Final Smash.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Source Gaming has done rate that character video about Ninten's chances in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
I disagree about his Final Smash in the video, they could just use DK's Final Smash.
I agree, DK's Final Smash would be fine, just having EVE drop down from the sky and do rapid attacks would be great

Last edited:

Vingag

Smash Apprentice
I will 100% support Ninten. I mostly see him as an echo of Ness, though if he is a unique fighter that would be all the better! We need more Mother representation in Smash, as it's probably the #1 place where people are exposed to these wonderful games, and the more exposure to them the more likely it'll be that we'll finally get MOTHER 3 a non-fan port in the west*.

*This is nothing against the Mother 3 we do have. It is great. I just want it to be official.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
I will 100% support Ninten. I mostly see him as an echo of Ness, though if he is a unique fighter that would be all the better! We need more Mother representation in Smash, as it's probably the #1 place where people are exposed to these wonderful games, and the more exposure to them the more likely it'll be that we'll finally get MOTHER 3 a non-fan port in the west*.

*This is nothing against the Mother 3 we do have. It is great. I just want it to be official.
I agree; as much as I like the fan translation we got, We still need a official release of the Mother 3.
So we can finally OFFICIALLY say that we got every Mother game released to the west.

Top Bottom