• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
I have no replays either, just thought I'd send that message. Also, character balancing updates will come. Maybe Captain Falcon will be fun again so I won't have to drop him.

I mean, I could believe it. Link is a very weird character all things considered.

D

Deleted member

Funny thing, iirc, Link's Awakening was the first Zelda Aonuma ever worked on. I think he was a dungeon designer for that game. Far from the head of the series he is now.

That's why I think it's interesting that he chose to remake his first game now in this artstyle.
It just gets more and more suspicious as time goes on.

There are a lot of firsts and one-times with the LA remake, so it could be a test game for a Mother trilogy remake.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
It just gets more and more suspicious as time goes on.

There are a lot of firsts and one-times with the LA remake, so it could be a test game for a Mother trilogy remake.
Like I said, in terms of lore, plot, and characters, Link's Awakening draws a lot of parallels to Mother.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I have no replays either, just thought I'd send that message. Also, character balancing updates will come. Maybe Captain Falcon will be fun again so I won't have to drop him.

I mean, I could believe it. Link is a very weird character all things considered.
Inb4 Lucas and Ness get buffed more.

And Ninten is quite the man of mystery.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice

No joke, I'm 100% considering picking up Ness as a secondary, possibly a main if Falcon continues to stink like this. I'm absolutely annihilating people at my college with him.

Yeah. Especially with Link's design lmao.
I'm talking about more than the character design. For example, we literally spend the entirety of Link's Awakening gathering eight pieces of music to a song? Sound familiar?

D

Deleted member

Yes please. I want to make people Skybound.

No joke, I'm 100% considering picking up Ness as a secondary, possibly a main if Falcon continues to stink like this. I'm absolutely annihilating people at my college with him.

I'm talking about more than the character design. For example, we literally spend the entirety of Link's Awakening gathering eight pieces of music to a song? Sound familiar?
Hmm....I'm not sure. Let me ask my Mother!

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Yes please. I want to make people Skybound.

Hmm....I'm not sure. Let me ask my Mother!
My only issue is that I suck at recovering with Ness, but I've been practicing and I'm pretty decent now. I can hit PK Thunder correctly maybe 6 out of 10 times.

There's also Marin, vocalist of the Ballad of the Wind Fish. Very similar to Queen Mary.

D

Deleted member

My only issue is that I suck at recovering with Ness, but I've been practicing and I'm pretty decent now. I can hit PK Thunder correctly maybe 6 out of 10 times.

There's also Marin, vocalist of the Ballad of the Wind Fish. Very similar to Queen Mary.
Yeah, PK Thunder was that one recovery I could not get at all. But after a while I was able to get the hang of it.

And yeah, agreed on Marin. Maybe that's another reason they may have decided to use this game as a test game, since it already had similarities to Mother.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, PK Thunder was that one recovery I could not get at all. But after a while I was able to get the hang of it.

And yeah, agreed on Marin. Maybe that's another reason they may have decided to use this game as a test game, since it already had similarities to Mother.
But Ness' kit is way too much fun otherwise to not use, especially on walk-offs. F-throw is overpowered on walk-offs.

I could go on when it comes to similarities between Mother and LA, but I just thought I'd point some of them out.

D

Deleted member

But Ness' kit is way too much fun otherwise to not use, especially on walk-offs. F-throw is overpowered on walk-offs.

I could go on when it comes to similarities between Mother and LA, but I just thought I'd point some of them out.
Very much agree. He's just so mobile and floaty in the air (and the ground of course) as well, so using aerials and PK moves are really fun as well. Not to mention sniping people with PK Thunder or PK Flash.

And yeah. It makes a lot of sense that they could use Link's Awakening as a test for a Mother trilogy remake. And the 3D and HD art style just matched so well with it.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Very much agree. He's just so mobile and floaty in the air (and the ground of course) as well, so using aerials and PK moves are really fun as well. Not to mention sniping people with PK Thunder or PK Flash.

And yeah. It makes a lot of sense that they could use Link's Awakening as a test for a Mother trilogy remake. And the 3D and HD art style just matched so well with it.
I think my favorite move is F-Smash. No one expects how fast it comes out, nor that it acts as a reflector.

Yeah, my prediction was that they would use the Toon Link artstyle, which they didn't for some reason.

D

Deleted member

I think my favorite move is F-Smash. No one expects how fast it comes out, nor that it acts as a reflector.

Yeah, my prediction was that they would use the Toon Link artstyle, which they didn't for some reason.
The F-Smash is fun to use. Especially when you hit with the tip.

The Toon Link art style would've made sense too I think. Huh, now that would actually be kinda interesting to see.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
The F-Smash is fun to use. Especially when you hit with the tip.

The Toon Link art style would've made sense too I think. Huh, now that would actually be kinda interesting to see.
They pretty much always use the Toon Link style outside of the "major" titles. And they could have tied it into Link Between Worlds if they used the Toon Link artstyle. So why not?

D

Deleted member

They pretty much always use the Toon Link style outside of the "major" titles. And they could have tied it into Link Between Worlds if they used the Toon Link artstyle. So why not?
Yeah. Oh and I found a concept for Earthbound remade:

cc3.jpg

earthbound-hd-wallpapers-hd-69276-1816408.jpg

onett2-noscale.jpg

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I feel like everyone may be reading into the art style a little too much. Link's chibi design is similar to the Mother series character design, but I think that it's much more likely that they wanted it to resemble the Game Boy's sprites than it is that they lifted assets from a mother trilogy remake.
LA sprite.jpg 2019-05-28 (2).png
edit: had to crop out a picture of remake Link's look by myself since apparently nobody else has bothered to do so. At least, according to google images

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
If it helps, for both Ness and Lucas. When you want to recovery at a diagonal angle, try to make PK Thunder circle around into Ness/Lucas as fast as possible.
If you want them to recover completely vertically hold the stick down so PK Thunder goes down, wait just a bit and then make it go up. This is the best method for recovering vertically as Lucas and it has helped me a lot, just beware that you probably need to make Ness' PK Thunder go down a bit more than you would with Lucas, as Lucas stays in the air for quiet a bit before he falls while Ness falls faster. Also, sometimes by tilting the stick down, maybe PK Thunder will go in a direction you won't like, so watch out for that.

I feel like everyone may be reading into the art style a little too much. Link's chibi design is similar to the Mother series character design, but I think that it's much more likely that they wanted it to resemble the Game Boy's sprites than it is that they lifted assets from a mother trilogy remake.
Personally I don't believe that they're using assets from a Mother trilogy remake.
If anything, I would just say that he looks very similar to characters in Mother, and that from all the ways they could have made the game and characters look like, it was in a very Mother-like style. It's mainly cuz the proportions are suspiciously very similar. But it all can be a huge coincidence.

At most, I personally believe that they could reuse 2 or 3 assets from the Link's Awakening remake into a Mother remake, as a lot of Mother fans have agreed that they would not mind seeing a Mother remake in 3D if it had this artstyle.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I mean, Nintendo has reused different styles for different projects before. (Kirby and Yoshi)

I could see one inspiring the other in a way.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Eh, for a Zelda Gameboy game remake, I'd feel that's kind of an odd direction to go in. It was given a completely unique art style for a remake of a gameboy game when it could've resembled something like a Toon art style.

Overall, the art style just perfectly matches what Mother would look like in 3D - the characters, the overworld (and especially things like the houses and dungeons).

And, yes, it's definitely possible that the art style of one inspired another, like with Kirby's Epic Yarn and Yoshi's Wooly World.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to point out that Link to the Past had a very similar pixel art style, granted with more pixels, but Link Between Worlds went with Toon Link still.

Heck, if they wanted to be faithful with Link to the Past, they'd have made Link have pink hair!

Last edited:

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the double post, but I'd figure I'd actually include images to make my point.

Granted, it's not quite a Toon Link design (though Trforce Heroes did use that for some reason). But as you can see, Link's Awakening and Link to the Past had similar spritework, but their remakes have come out in entirely different styles. That's what I find weird.

Also keep in mind: Canonically, Link's Awakening is a direct sequel to Link to the Past. It's the same Link anyway. Shouldn't their remakes, releasing only about 6 or 7 years apart and what we can only assume is the same team, feature an at least somewhat similar artstyle?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Sorry for the double post, but I'd figure I'd actually include images to make my point.

Granted, it's not quite a Toon Link design (though Trforce Heroes did use that for some reason). But as you can see, Link's Awakening and Link to the Past had similar spritework, but their remakes have come out in entirely different styles. That's what I find weird.

Also keep in mind: Canonically, Link's Awakening is a direct sequel to Link to the Past. It's the same Link anyway. Shouldn't their remakes, releasing only about 6 or 7 years apart and what we can only assume is the same team, feature an at least somewhat similar artstyle?
Huh, I didn't know it was that different. It took a bigger change for a canonical sequel of the game.

Even if there are dome differences in Link like his eyes having pupils, it's still a completely different art style they used.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Huh, I didn't know it was that different. It took a bigger change for a canonical sequel of the game.

Even if there are dome differences in Link like his eyes having pupils, it's still a completely different art style they used.
If you had told me a Link's Awakening remake was happening like 4 or 5 months ago, I would have guessed it was being done by Grezzo in the artstyle of A Link Between Worlds as a direct sequel. I never thought this would happen, and no one did. As you can see, the Link in A Link Between Worlds actually matches the Link in the opening cinematic of Link's Awakening, so why not use that style?

D

Deleted member

If you had told me a Link's Awakening remake was happening like 4 or 5 months ago, I would have guessed it was being done by Grezzo in the artstyle of A Link Between Worlds as a direct sequel. I never thought this would happen, and no one did. As you can see, the Link in A Link Between Worlds actually matches the Link in the opening cinematic of Link's Awakening, so why not use that style?
Exactly. The character actually looks like a human in LBW, and, yes, it would fit the opening cinematic better.

And now, the art style for this Zelda game took a completely different turn, and someone who worked on many Zelda remakes in the past isn't working on it?

Yeah, that's a little weird.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
8458BE5A-9A50-42E5-8AE2-C7D619A34E7B.jpeg

Am I the only one that thinks it’s weird that on the Japanese site, the Mother logo is the only one that isn’t a clear png? Even the English site uses a clear png.

It just looks so weird here I can’t help but laugh at it.

D

Deleted member

View attachment 224813

Am I the only one that thinks it’s weird that on the Japanese site, the Mother logo is the only one that isn’t a clear png? Even the English site uses a clear png.

It just looks so weird here I can’t help but laugh at it.
Wait they use the Mother 1 logo for the Japanese site?

I didn't even know that.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm curious as to why they changed the series' name to EarthBound when localizing it.

It still fits, but Mother is a clever name, referencing Mother Earth and fitting with the game's nice themes.

I guess since the first game's localization was originally canned, though, it would've been weird to have Mother 2 and not the first game; from what I remember, however, they were already planning the name change when the first game's localization was in development.

Last edited:

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
I'm curious as to why they changed the series' name to EarthBound when localizing it.

It still fits, but Mother is a clever name, referencing Mother Earth and fitting with the game's nice themes.

I guess since the first game's localization was originally canned, though, it would've been weird to have Mother 2 and not the first game; from what I remember, however, they were already planning the name change when the first game's localization was in development.
From my understanding, when they were planning to localize Mother 1, they were still going to call it Earthbound. My headcanon is that this was done to make the game seem less girly and feminine for the "macho" Western audience.

Wait they use the Mother 1 logo for the Japanese site?

I didn't even know that.
Ani and I have been having a fit over this. It makes no dang sense.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to point out that Link to the Past had a very similar pixel art style, granted with more pixels, but Link Between Worlds went with Toon Link still.

Heck, if they wanted to be faithful with Link to the Past, they'd have made Link have pink hair!
A Link Between Worlds isn’t really a remake (at least, it isn’t in Aonuma’s eyes), so I don’t think the same logic can be applied here.

D

Deleted member

A Link Between Worlds isn’t really a remake (at least, it isn’t in Aonuma’s eyes), so I don’t think the same logic can be applied here.
It's still a sort of revamping of a Zelda game with an art style that could be used for other Zelda games though.

Teochard

Smash Apprentice
Link Between Worlds is a weird game. It straddles the line between remake and sequel, what I call a "reimagining". Basically, it's what Link to the Past would have looked like if it released today. It tried to stick to the original game in a lot of ways.

D

Deleted member

From my understanding, when they were planning to localize Mother 1, they were still going to call it Earthbound. My headcanon is that this was done to make the game seem less girly and feminine for the "macho" Western audience.

Ani and I have been having a fit over this. It makes no dang sense.
Yeah. Maybe they changed it because they could be adding a character from Mother 1?

Top Bottom