• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until The End. "I was Wrong" thread

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
I was never against Lucas, and would've been happy to see him back in any shape or form.

That said, when I saw people saying, "Maybe they'll throw in Wolf or Lucas when they release Mewtwo" I instantly chalked it up to wishful thinking...

Just goes to show, you never quite know what the Sakurai will do, and we all love it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I always thought people were underestimating vets.

Just goes to show ya.

:4lucas:

CaptainQuestion

Smash Cadet
I was hoping, but convinced it wouldn't happen, so I guess I was wrong as well, and I have my avatar to show that. So in other words...
HE'S BACK
OH YES HE IS BACK

Oh, by the way, did anyone else see the screen briefly flash 3D on Lucas' intro screen ("comes out of nowhere")? It's not in any of the other trailers, so... hint at Mother 3 3DS?
Maybe?

...Please?

Last edited:

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Thought the leaks with lucas was fake, never played him in brawl... but he looks damn good in smash 4, looks like a funnier version of ness.

Glad to be wrong, im looking forward to trying out mewtwo and lucas!

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
The loss of Lucas didn't affect me too much initially. I thought "he's gone from Smash and that's that." Then the trailer showed up and the only words I could mouth out at that time were "Welcome back, Lucas."

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I was initially worried the devs wouldn't see Lucas as a hugely compelling DLC choice, what with him being a protagonist of an obscure Japan only game and being a semi-clone. Glad to be proven wrong!

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Couldn't tell if it was going to be Lucas or just another Mother character in general. I would've been happy either way! (Although maybe in the future, Porky.)

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
I was hoping he'd be back as DLC but I honestly didn't expect it. And especially not before Wolf or even Snake. So I was wrong.

I'm so happy though! Bringing the Brawl main back now.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Before the SSB4 full roster reveal I was neither wanting or expecting Lucas to be cut, but after that I quickly moved on and I finally thought it was a cut that made sense due to him being a "derivative" character and Japan-only outside of Brawl, especially with his special moves being given to Ness as customs which I saw as the nail in the coffin. I honestly thought Mewtwo was the only cut character returning as DLC, besides possibly Wolf, due to his huge star power outside of Smash Bros, and I thought Lucas was extremely unlikely to return. I really thought people were overrating him on my "Create your DLC likeliness chart" thread (I should really bump it and update the general chart btw).

I WAS SO WRONG!!!

And I'm happy I was to an extent, even though I'm personally feeling kinda indifferent to Lucas returning I knew he had a lot of fans who were disappointed that he didn't return back. I think I'm going to download him when he releases anyway.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wasn't really pushed in either direction. The only reason I thought he might not happen was because Ness has some of Lucas's moves as custom moves.

I still figured Lucas and Wolf were the most likely veteran returns. (and dlc characters overall)

Marthmario

Smash Lord
While feeling like he wouldn't be in the launch roster, I knew he'd be back after the massive request from the Japanese fanbase.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558

When Smash 4 was being developed, I told everyone and myself that Lucas couldn't get cut and if he did I'd go on a murdering spree. :p At this point, I'd gone to national tournaments with Lucas, I'd tried my hardest with him and Ness, placed well, often much better than I could have ever expected to (I fluked out a set win on my country's best player with him in pools!) and generally had some of the best times I've ever had in my life.

And then when smash 4 was released, I stubbornly told myself he'd be DLC. As the time rolled on and I started seeing success with Ness, I kept feeling hurt pangs for my main, and in my sig until 30 minutes ago I did have a little pic of him with a '?' mark. At the same time, I had the same doubts as any other fan - "What if Mewtwo is the only vet they're planning on re-releasing as DLC?" "What if they discontinue DLC after him?" "What if they make jokes about Lucas getting in similar to Chrom?" And the most recent one, "Why the hell would they put this direct on April Fools!?"

In some ways I was almost at the point where I knew I'd have to accept he might never be coming back, that a character I'd put so much passion and love into, to the point of missing school to travel interstate or staying up at 3AM to find that one Lucario main online I was always wanting to find... That my perfect duo of mains had been cut down to one.

Even though I never truly dismissed him, or thought he wouldn't come back in the most proper sense... For every doubt I ever had, for every worry and fear... I was so, damn wrong. I couldn't be happier. With the return of my 'other smash half', I feel this incredible euphoria, and also contentment. I don't think Nintendo could have done anything else that would make me feel as sincerely happy as I do right now.

I can't wait to be smashing right alongside both the PK kids. Bring it on!

Last edited:

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
I thought it was wrong to hope, but boy was I proven wrong. [Happy Mr. Saturn noises]

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
I didnt think it was likely at this point, but I held out hope that DLC would happen.

Sakurai says many things that later turn out to be the opposite.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
I am sooooo glad I was wrong about Lucas being cut. Despite being a semi-clone, Lucas seemed to belong in the cast, he deserved to be in the cast. Now that he's back, let me congratulate you:

CONGRATULATIONS and welcome back!

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
I was wrong. Ness had Lucas's moveset in customs. I thought that was the nail in the coffin.
That was what I thought too, I was completely convinced he wouldn't come back because they already took his specials and put it as Ness's customs. I would tell people,"Haha no way in hell is he coming back."

Weedy Spyze

Smash Apprentice
Never lost hope for Lucas and Sakurai's love for the Mother series in general. I was so disappointed that he didn't make it into the roster initially and can't wait until his DLC released.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I'm not surprised that he is coming back for DLC, but I am surprised to see that he is before Wolf

I'm happy he's back because he didn't deserved to be cut. At least he made DLC!

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I thought he wouldn't be cut and I was wrong.

I thought he was less likely then other possible DLC characters and I was wrong.

I was doubly wrong, and I am perfectly ok with that!

HyperSam14

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamTheTaco14
3DS FC
1220-8299-3333
After I heard rumors that Mewtwo would be the only DLC for Smash 4, I was sort of sad. I thought that the cut Brawl characters would never see the light of day again. I was still extremely happy for Mewtwo, but I still wished we could at least get Lucas or Wolf back. I eventually got over it and continued to wait for my Melee main to strike back.
Then the April Fools Day direct happened. We saw Lucas.
I was wrong thinking that Lucas was a dead character at this point, and I'm so happy he's back. Now the Mewtwo fans and Lucas fans have something they can each look forward to. :b:

Drippy

Smash Ace
After I heard rumors that Mewtwo would be the only DLC for Smash 4, I was sort of sad. I thought that the cut Brawl characters would never see the light of day again. I was still extremely happy for Mewtwo, but I still wished we could at least get Lucas or Wolf back. I eventually got over it and continued to wait for my Melee main to strike back.
Then the April Fools Day direct happened. We saw Lucas.
I was wrong thinking that Lucas was a dead character at this point, and I'm so happy he's back. Now the Mewtwo fans and Lucas fans have something they can each look forward to. :b:
He just flippin came out of nowhere! I hope Nintendo doesn't play with my frail heart again :(

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I was initially worried the devs wouldn't see Lucas as a hugely compelling DLC choice, what with him being a protagonist of an obscure Japan only game and being a semi-clone. Glad to be proven wrong!
In 2015, almost eight years after the release of Brawl, there are still people who call Lucas a clone/semi-clone. If Robin's Elfire was Lucas's PK Fire under a different name, would people compare it to Ness' PK Fire? Of course not. No one would even think about the comparison were the characters not from the same series/the moves not named the same thing. Just think of it like this, Lucas uses the Beta version of PK Fire and PK Thunder, while Ness uses Gamma.

Also after watching the trailer again, I realized Lucas' Magnet doesn't do the stupid time wasting vortex effect and I could not be happier.

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
I didn't think it would happen, but I had hoped so hard. I was somewhere when the direct was happening, and I said

"What if Lucas was really announced and we just don't know about it?"
Person: "Haha, I wish."
"Same."

tHEN I COME HOME AND

Last edited:

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Nobody has commented here in awhile, but I'd just like to express the overwhelming joy I experienced when Lucas' return was announced. (I actually shed a tear...) I didn't think it would ever happen because I thought Sakurai was over Smash Bros... (personally I think he's being forced to do DLC by Nintendo's bigwigs.) Lucas was my go-to in Brawl. Whenever I wanted to do well against someone I knew would be a challenge, I always picked Lucas and was generally pretty sucessful. In Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Ness felt like an incomplete thought without his Subspace buddy there... and now their friendship is back! (Now we'll wait for him to come out, then wait for everybody and their Mother [pun intended] to stop playing as him!)

73MPL4R

Smash Rookie
NNID
The_73MPL4R
I wasn't expecting Lucas to some back at all

I knew I was wrong the second I heard the Song of Love from Mother 3

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
TBH, I think the thread here feels bit too pushing for people who might have taken it in that he wasn't gonna come back. Ness's custom moves and Lucas's trophy left it to mostly negative ambiguity will Lucas be even reconsidered, and that was majorly before Mewtwo made his striking return in 50-Fact Extravaganza Direct. But even then, it seemed more vague would more DLC be reconsidered after Mewtwo.

But back to Lucas. I was bit of bummed to see him go, especially after how fun he was in Brawl the time I tried him a bit, but hadn't had much interest, and in PM, he was quite a lightning bruiser boy. Perhaps because Mother-series left me in pretty heavy feels from playing them and it sorta made me grow disinterested. But I recognized the popularity, fun moveset and emotional history with Lucas and his players, and I knew he shouldn't have been cut. Finally, I see Smash Bros's characters as a big family, so having someone not around felt like a part of it had disappeared.

So when Lucas was revealed to be back, I was honestly very overjoyed - because not only did his reintroduction make him so exciting to play as again, but it also it rekindled immense hope for more bigger and love-filled roster by bringing cut veterans back and making Ballot give fleetway for highly craved newcomers. (Which is why I dearly hope Roy is also gonna be a thing).

And after then if we'd get such newcomers like Isaac (for me) and other highly asked popular characters, I'd honestly would call Smash Bros 4's roster unbeatable in entire gaming history of videogame gatherups. Because it would be.

I think the April Direct has to be one of the best things to happen in Smash Bros history, for this very reason. And I wouldn't be more happier that Lucas was the boy who was ready to bring in that hope for me and so many others out there with such a smile, after everything he went through to gather and hold hope for better things to fight for and eventually come on him.

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
And I wouldn't be more happier that Lucas was the boy who was ready to bring in that hope for me and so many others out there with such a smile, after everything he went through to gather and hold hope for better things to fight for and eventually come on him.
He is, after all, the Brilliant, Young Sun who will shine the way for future fighters!:4lucas:

Last edited:
Top Bottom